Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Z-Corn

Re: Random randomness

Post by Z-Corn »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:20 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:07 pm Or your ear rocks are out of position
i was just about to suggest this, as this happened to me a few years ago. i had problems with balance and i nearly fell over once a day, and generally felt literally 'off-kilter'. i went to the doctor and he said 'turn your head left and right really hard ten times fast' and after i did that, i felt instantly better.
As an attorney, this is my medical diagnosis as well.

They make a special ridiculous prescription hat that you have to wear that guides you in moving the ear rocks around.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Can I just say, out of all the weird shit that the human body is capable, having ear rocks is one of the stupidest plot devices that I've ever heard of.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 pm Vertigo! Normal movement is fine, but a couple of times a day (usually when standing from a sit) I'll suddenly get the feeling that I'm falling sideways to the right, so much so that I have to grab something to keep from actually doing it.
Have you contacted the Plumb Clinic to see if they can help?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 am Can I just say, out of all the weird shit that the human body is capable, having ear rocks is one of the stupidest plot devices that I've ever heard of.
Hunh? Speak up!?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Do they make special TV remotes with minimal, giant buttons for 70+ year old people? Like power on, volume and channel changer? The buttons should also be far apart so it's impossible to fat-finger more than one at a time. I swear, once a week now I am getting phone calls about the TV not working. Every time it's because someone is hitting the input button while trying to do something else.

I would alternatively accept a technology that I could plug into all the unused TV inputs that simply broadcasts a message "Hit this button to watch cable TV again."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:07 pm Or your ear rocks are out of position
i was just about to suggest this, as this happened to me a few years ago. i had problems with balance and i nearly fell over once a day, and generally felt literally 'off-kilter'. i went to the doctor and he said 'turn your head left and right really hard ten times fast' and after i did that, i felt instantly better.
That'll be $500, please.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think this could be it!

This morning I stood up out of bed and nearly toppled to the floor for lack of balance. Seconds later, I felt normal.

Something must be going on, and I will bang rocks together until I find it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:06 am
That'll be $500, please.
We accept Steam gift cards.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:59 am Yes
Awesome. Now to get it without making passive-aggressive commentary...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:09 am
There's only so much I can do for you.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:09 am
Skip the buttons...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Seen at a website:
If an item is out of stock and we do not have an estimated time of arrival from the distributor or manufacturer, the product will display an "Out of Stock" message and you will be unable to order the product from our Website. At that time it is generally acceptable to cry out in lamentation and/or shake your fist at the screen menacingly.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

xwraith wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:07 pm Seen at a website:
If an item is out of stock and we do not have an estimated time of arrival from the distributor or manufacturer, the product will display an "Out of Stock" message and you will be unable to order the product from our Website. At that time it is generally acceptable to cry out in lamentation and/or shake your fist at the screen menacingly.
That's a very reasonable policy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:49 am Do they make special TV remotes with minimal, giant buttons for 70+ year old people? Like power on, volume and channel changer?
The very first remote control television we had had 3 buttons on it. On/Off (it was orange) and up and down. No volume. It was science fiction.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Got a box today from Walmart.com, FedEx delivery. Has my name, my address my phone number and it contained a bottle of nail polish. Here's the problem. No one in my house ordered it. How does this happen? There's no packing slip and it was shipped from Indiana. What in the actual hell is going on?
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:12 pm Got a box today from Walmart.com, FedEx delivery. Has my name, my address my phone number and it contained a bottle of nail polish. Here's the problem. No one in my house ordered it. How does this happen? There's no packing slip and it was shipped from Indiana. What in the actual hell is going on?
Sounds like a great premise for your upcoming reality series, “The Smooves”.
18-1™ & 2-0
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm thinking it's not actually nail polish but a bottle of liquid ecstasy or methamphetamine. Maybe I'll call the Indiana store it shipped from (if I can figure that out) and try to determine what happened. I am so confused right now.

EDIT: Isn't this how credit card fraud starts? Someone does a test charge to see if it works?
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 pm I'm thinking it's not actually nail polish but a bottle of liquid ecstasy or methamphetamine. Maybe I'll call the Indiana store it shipped from (if I can figure that out) and try to determine what happened. I am so confused right now.

EDIT: Isn't this how credit card fraud starts? Someone does a test charge to see if it works?
Clearly you need to give them your credit card information to find out.

:pop:
18-1™ & 2-0
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It puts the polish on its nails or it gets the hose.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:12 pm There's no packing slip and it was shipped from Indiana. What in the actual hell is going on?
:ninja:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 pm I'm thinking it's not actually nail polish but a bottle of liquid ecstasy or methamphetamine. Maybe I'll call the Indiana store it shipped from (if I can figure that out) and try to determine what happened. I am so confused right now.

You want to call Walmart and get a paper trail going.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:06 pmYou want to call Walmart and get a paper trail going.
I'm going to need to, yes. There's tracking information all over the box (order numbers, internal tracking numbers) but when I go to the Walmart site to try and get info they want me to include my email address with the order number to get more information.

It's a mystery! Nothing so far suggests my CC has been compromised.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think you're making a mountain of a mole hill.
But then I don't know your schedule.
Enjoy. :pop:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, we have a company-wide conference call tomorrow where they're supposedly going to announce some significant organizational restructuring. No one is losing jobs, but there's lots of angst around what it will all mean in terms of reporting structures, alignment, etc.

Over the last week, I have received 17 different calendar invites for this call. 17. Changing the time, changing the call-in info, changing the date, changing the host, changing the webinar link, etc., etc. After the first 3 or 4, each invite contained some version of "sorry for all the invites, but we guarantee this will be the last one". I can pretty well guarantee that at least half the company will miss the call tomorrow because they have the wrong info.

17. :evil:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Try not to schedule any meetings on your way through the parking lot!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:23 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:43 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 pm Man this is weird:

Vertigo! Normal movement is fine, but a couple of times a day (usually when standing from a sit) I'll suddenly get the feeling that I'm falling sideways to the right, so much so that I have to grab something to keep from actually doing it.

Weirdest of all, when I lie in the bathtub and go fully underwater on my back (it's been sweaty and humid and gross here, so I've bathed a couple of times a day), I get an instant and overpowering sensation of spinning and falling. It completely feels like the floor of my bathtub has fallen out and I'm whirlpooling down. When I sit up rapidly again, my balance is so off that I almost flop out of the tub onto the floor. This is so strong that it's actually reproducible; I just tested it.

I thought it was a pre-migraine symptom, but it's been with me for three days, and I haven't had a headache. I assume it must be related to some sort of sinus pressure/infection/deathcurse.

Anyone else ever deal with this? This is completely new to me.
Sounds like the work of Ceti eel larvae.
The internet tells me it's lupus, but I suspect an inner ear infection.
FTFY.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:44 pm Try not to schedule any meetings on your way through the parking lot!
:clap:
Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:45 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:23 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:43 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 pm Man this is weird:

Vertigo! Normal movement is fine, but a couple of times a day (usually when standing from a sit) I'll suddenly get the feeling that I'm falling sideways to the right, so much so that I have to grab something to keep from actually doing it.

Weirdest of all, when I lie in the bathtub and go fully underwater on my back (it's been sweaty and humid and gross here, so I've bathed a couple of times a day), I get an instant and overpowering sensation of spinning and falling. It completely feels like the floor of my bathtub has fallen out and I'm whirlpooling down. When I sit up rapidly again, my balance is so off that I almost flop out of the tub onto the floor. This is so strong that it's actually reproducible; I just tested it.

I thought it was a pre-migraine symptom, but it's been with me for three days, and I haven't had a headache. I assume it must be related to some sort of sinus pressure/infection/deathcurse.

Anyone else ever deal with this? This is completely new to me.
Sounds like the work of Ceti eel larvae.
The internet tells me it's lupus, but I suspect an inner ear infection.
FTFY.
Ack!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Woke up to another meeting request for the exact same time, this one from the CEO's executive assistant. So there's now two invites for the same time with separate log-in info.

That makes 18, and I'm sure #19 will come in the next hour to cancel one of the duplicate meetings. :lol:
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:21 pm I'm thinking it's not actually nail polish but a bottle of liquid ecstasy or methamphetamine.
Was the sender one Mr. Ellis D. Trails?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:28 am Woke up to another meeting request for the exact same time, this one from the CEO's executive assistant. So there's now two invites for the same time with separate log-in info.

That makes 18, and I'm sure #19 will come in the next hour to cancel one of the duplicate meetings. :lol:
She saw the 15 prior invites and wanted to make damn sure everything knew hers trumped them.

You should send out a revised meeting invite, but with the same date/time and thank everyone for their patience with the process of scheduling a meeting.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My stepson and his wife are going on vacation for a week and a half starting today sometime.
They're having a friend stay at their house and take care for their dogs.
She (former he) comes over to our house late last time (after we had gone to bed) woke us up and everything and stayed the night.
This morning I went and bought her breakfast. She stayed for lunch too.
I assume she's going to live over at their house when they leave. They have food for her over there.
She's probably going to be spending most of her waking hours over here.
How long before I start asking her for money for all the food of ours she's eating?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't understand. Stopping by for a visit is one thing. Freeloading on the parents when she should be freeloading on the stepson makes no sense.

Do you have a previous relationship with this person? Why did you allow her to stay at your home? Does she not have a home of her own? Wouldn't it make more sense for her to stay at the SiL's?

I realize peoples' lives are complicated and most can't be put into a box called "normal", but your life really confuses me dbt.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:11 pmyour life really confuses me dbt.
Me too, but given the things I've said here about my own life, I can't pass judgement.

Hospitality is one thing. Having someone treat you like a B&B is a whole different thing. If you're just passing acquaintances, I'd lock the door and not let them in if I was being taken advantage of. If there's some reward - good company, for example - that settles the debt and it may be worth it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I can think of 25 reasons why I'd find what's happening to dbt acceptable in my own life. I just don't have enough info, and it would not be the default behaviour for me, that means there must be reasons, otherwise why is dbt accepting this?

I'm not judging, just trying to understand.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The person is an old friend of my wife and her son. I always thought he was okay but not someone I cared for too much. He was a little too weird. Now he's a she.
She's a very close friend of my stepson. I don't dislike her but I really don't want someone up close and personal in my life. However she acts like she's one of the family and my wife is so lonely as no one will talk to her as she's deaf.
To make it better my stepson thought to skip giving me their rent and give it to this woman. I just learned that this morning. They planned on paying me in a couple of weeks. Learning this I didn't say yea or nay just turned around and walked away.
Anyrate, I told this house sitter she can come over all she likes but to sleep over at their house. She has food over there and I'm hoping she'll eat there.
The thing is I'm a loner and I don't like surprises but I can live with them.
I also kind of think I moved in to an inbred family.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:02 pm The person is an old friend of my wife and her son. I always thought he was okay but not someone I cared for too much. He was a little too weird. Now he's a she.
She's a very close friend of my stepson. I don't dislike her but I really don't want someone up close and personal in my life. However she acts like she's one of the family and my wife is so lonely as no one will talk to her as she's deaf.
To make it better my stepson thought to skip giving me their rent and give it to this woman. I just learned that this morning. They planned on paying me in a couple of weeks. Learning this I didn't say yea or nay just turned around and walked away.
Anyrate, I told this house sitter she can come over all she likes but to sleep over at their house. She has food over there and I'm hoping she'll eat there.
The thing is I'm a loner and I don't like surprises but I can live with them.
I also kind of think I moved in to an inbred family.
Thank goodness you figured out that last part so quickly.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:22 pm Thank goodness you figured out that last part so quickly.
She's a witch, so dbt should have known he was in for some wild times!

I'm still confused as to why you feel the need to "hope" she eats elsewhere. If she shows up while you're eating, just tell her no visitors during dinner. If she comes into your house and starts making herself something to eat...I don't know. Shallow grave time?

I assume given your circumstances you don't have a sit down dinner with your wife at the dinner table at an established time. That gives you all sorts of flexibility to not feed this person.

I'm starting to understand but it's still a little confusing. I must have missed the living arrangements between you and your SiL and his wife because I can't quite parse this rent/house sitting combo. If the house sitter is being paid enough that the SiL can't pay rent, then I would absolutely restrict this person from also stealing my food.

a) where's my rent money?
b) where's my grocery money?
c) Who are you and why do you have both of my a) and b)? Talking to my wife is not a fair exchange for both those.

Also, shallow grave.