Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moto2
Romano Fenati has responded to his dismissal from both his current Moto2 team and the one he was due to join next year by announcing his immediate retirement from motorcycling, and hit out at rival Stefano Manzi for escaping criticism for his part in last Sunday’s controversy.

The pair clashed during the Misano Grand Prix in San Marino that resulted in Fenati deliberately grabbing the front brake of Manzi’s Suter at close to 140mph and could have resulted in a serious accident.

Fenati was handed a two-race ban by MotoGP organisers, but he has since been sacked by the Marinelli Snipers Team, and he also lost his contract to ride for Forward Racing next season – the team who Manzi currently rides for.

Having initially apologised for his action, Fenati has now issued a second statement to confirm he will not seek any further opportunities in motorcycling, and claimed that Manzi was to blame for his reaction as he rode into him “three times” that left a black strip on his leathers and helmet from making contact with his tyres.
Video at the link.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Not his first stupidity either. History of being a real meathead hothead. Good riddance.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haircut day.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Backstory:
Spoiler:
Paingod wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:04 am
Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:01 am
Paingod wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:59 am
Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:48 am
Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:10 amLast Thursday my right eye started swelling a little. Each day, the swelling got worse until Monday when I asked one of our doctors to take a look. Cellulitis, he says. Not sure how an infection got into my eye lid, but it did. There's no point of entry, no clogged glands or scratches. I'm on Amoxicillin and am waiting to feel better. This morning my eye is more swollen. I keep feeling warm with a mild body ache - but when I check my temp, I'm at a steady 96.8 (my norm)... so no fever, despite feeling like a fever.
Um....
Pain with moving, especially side to side?

ER-->admission-->surgical drainage.

Periorbital cellulitis. Worth considering.
I work for a group of eye doctors. I'd hope they get it right.

The doc I saw flipped my lid and didn't seem too concerned. He did say cellulitis, but not periorbital cellulitis. The antibiotics seem to be fighting the infection - swelling has gone down this morning from yesterday, but the pain experienced when looking up (not side to side) has not lessened. There is no pain when looking down or side to side. There is absolutely no discharge or pus. Whatever it is, it's entirely inside my eyelid.

I'm feeling a lot better today after an afternoon laying on the futon, semi-conscious and watching TV.
Nope, wasn't suggesting they meant periorbital cellulitis, rather that was a diagnosis of concern based on the history thus far provided and a "yes" to the question I posed. Glad it's getting better.
10 days of antibiotics done, 4 or 5 days without now, and the infection is returning. There's a "bright black dot" that I see when I look into the extreme upper-left corner, which appears in the lower-left corner. It never went away, and neither did the inflammation. My eye got real close to looking normal a couple days ago, but has since become angry again.

One doc casually says I should go back on the antibiotics that failed to kill it, and I'm looking to get an appointment with the first one (who did the initial check & prescription) to see what he thinks.
Yesterday I was running a mild fever and saw one of the other doctors in the practice. She said "preseptal cellulitis" (apparently another name for periorbital cellulitis - good call Freyland!). No one is discussing surgical drainage yet, but she did start me on a course of different antibiotics. Cephalexin. She had me "jump start" this with two doses about 5-6 hours apart, and I'm back to a normal 12 hour/pill schedule today.

Still seeing the bright black dot when I look in the extreme upper-left corner of my eye range, and still with just my right eye. Still soreness when moving my eye in that range. Neither of the doctors seemed concerned about that black dot - like, at all. I woke up today with some crusting in my left eye, which is new, but not a huge issue as I imagine if it's a secondary infection it's about to get killed anyway. If it gets worse, I'll let them know.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hope that resolves it. I found out last week that my right eye can no longer be corrected to 20/20 vision because of the cataract. I went in thinking that a new Rx would put things back in focus and found out that I just have to live with a blurry right eye. It's not nearly bad enough to justify surgery yet, but I can look forward to that eventually.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Thanks for the update and the feedback, Paingod. I'm a worry-wart, but I'm not there, so I am going assume you are in good hands. That said, if things worsen I would nudge them towards an orbital CT, which is not at all out of the question.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My wife had cataract surgery last year. Went off without a hitch. About an hour long for each eye. After they healed she had 20/20 vision.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm My wife had cataract surgery last year. Went off without a hitch. About an hour long for each eye. After they healed she had 20/20 vision.
What about her third eye?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't know they would do both at once in case something went wrong.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm My wife had cataract surgery last year. Went off without a hitch. About an hour long for each eye. After they healed she had 20/20 vision.
Still seems to be working fine.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:24 pm I didn't know they would do both at once in case something went wrong.
They don't. One eye at a time. Wait a month and do the other.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well next time tell us that one eye took an hour but the other took a month! :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm
Good point. Can she still see beyond the veil?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'M SO CONFUSED!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:26 pm I'M SO CONFUSED!
She's a witch!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was told at my last eye appointment that I am developing cataracts. I'm overdue for a follow-up.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:59 pm I was told at my last eye appointment that I am developing cataracts. I'm overdue for a follow-up.
Yeah, IIRC cataracts are pretty much a foregone conclusion for everyone as part of the aging process. The only variable being the age at which they develop sufficiently to warrant having them removed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:25 am Hope that resolves it. I found out last week that my right eye can no longer be corrected to 20/20 vision because of the cataract. I went in thinking that a new Rx would put things back in focus and found out that I just have to live with a blurry right eye. It's not nearly bad enough to justify surgery yet, but I can look forward to that eventually.
I'm almost looking forwards to cataract surgery. I can't be corrected beyond 20/60 in either eye. However it might be possible to do better with an IOL. The problem is that IOL surgery isn't a normally listed as a fix for nystagmus and my doctor isn't big on recommending me for experimental / off list procedures but he did say that cataract surgery might improve my vision just as a side effect due to the IOL.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Madmarcus wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:43 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:25 am Hope that resolves it. I found out last week that my right eye can no longer be corrected to 20/20 vision because of the cataract. I went in thinking that a new Rx would put things back in focus and found out that I just have to live with a blurry right eye. It's not nearly bad enough to justify surgery yet, but I can look forward to that eventually.
I'm almost looking forwards to cataract surgery. I can't be corrected beyond 20/60 in either eye. However it might be possible to do better with an IOL. The problem is that IOL surgery isn't a normally listed as a fix for nystagmus and my doctor isn't big on recommending me for experimental / off list procedures but he did say that cataract surgery might improve my vision just as a side effect due to the IOL.
I've worn glasses since I was a wee boy. In the 55 years since then, whenever my vision got blurry I fixed it with new glasses. Now, for the first time in my life, that won't work. I realize this is small potatoes in the universe of afflictions I could have, but it's still a bit of a gut punch. I hear so many good stories about cataract surgery that I wonder if I should press my doc to say it's time for that (even though my impairment is really just a nuisance).
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

My wife had cataract surgery last year due to being horrible over prescribed prednisone. It was scary for the first eye just because of the unknown but everything went perfectly.

She had 20/20 vision for a few months, which meant she could ditch her contacts, but since then her eyes have adjusted and she does need reading glasses. Which bugs the shit out of her. She has four pairs scattered around her world and can never find a pair when she needs them.

ONE goofy thing happened with the second eye. She was all prepped and numbed, just about to go into the sort of twilight they put you under, and I was back in the waiting room. All of the sudden everybody got evacuated because there was a carbon monoxide leak. We sat in the parking lot for an hour before they sent us home.

She was able to go back in and finish that afternoon but everybody was pretty shaken by the experience.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We went to bed at midnight and at 3am our little chihuahua that sleeps with us wanted to get up and play. So I gave him his stuffed Lambchop toys and we played squeaky for 10 minutes in the middle of the night. Then suddenly he was back to bed and we got to sleep until 6am :)

We weren't mad at all though. He is so sweet and funny. We're lucky to have gotten him from the shelter in 2015.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I hate chihuahuas.

...that is all.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I used to hate little dogs. After living with them for 15 years I now love them and hate big dogs.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:49 pm I used to hate little dogs. After living with them for 15 years I now love them and hate big dogs.
A big chihuahua would not be better.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

We bought an adorable "tea-cup" Chihuahua 5 years ago. He was supposed to stay under 3 pounds, but he is spoilt rotten. I now refer to him as a "beer-stein" Chihuahua.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A band called "A Wilhelm Scream" was just advertised to me and even seeing the name made me wince and forget what I was reading. It's that pavolovian for me. Can we go back and sanitize that from all media? It's a sure way to ruin... everything.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:54 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:49 pm I used to hate little dogs. After living with them for 15 years I now love them and hate big dogs.
A big chihuahua would not be better.

Nor would a teeny weeny mastiff.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:15 pm A band called "A Wilhelm Scream" was just advertised to me and even seeing the name made me wince and forget what I was reading. It's that pavolovian for me. Can we go back and sanitize that from all media? It's a sure way to ruin... everything.
And me and my kids are the opposite.

Whatever we're watching is not complete until we all shout "There it is!".

Sure it's passe to "take note" of it instead of hating it, but I don't care. It's silly and it's fun.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 pm Nor would a teeny weeny mastiff.
Perhaps.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Backstory:
Spoiler:
Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:10 amLast Thursday my right eye started swelling a little. Each day, the swelling got worse until Monday when I asked one of our doctors to take a look. Cellulitis, he says. Not sure how an infection got into my eye lid, but it did. There's no point of entry, no clogged glands or scratches. I'm on Amoxicillin and am waiting to feel better. This morning my eye is more swollen. I keep feeling warm with a mild body ache - but when I check my temp, I'm at a steady 96.8 (my norm)... so no fever, despite feeling like a fever.
Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:48 am Um....
Pain with moving, especially side to side?

ER-->admission-->surgical drainage.

Periorbital cellulitis. Worth considering.
Paingod wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:59 am I work for a group of eye doctors. I'd hope they get it right.

The doc I saw flipped my lid and didn't seem too concerned. He did say cellulitis, but not periorbital cellulitis. The antibiotics seem to be fighting the infection - swelling has gone down this morning from yesterday, but the pain experienced when looking up (not side to side) has not lessened. There is no pain when looking down or side to side. There is absolutely no discharge or pus. Whatever it is, it's entirely inside my eyelid.

I'm feeling a lot better today after an afternoon laying on the futon, semi-conscious and watching TV.
Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:01 am Nope, wasn't suggesting they meant periorbital cellulitis, rather that was a diagnosis of concern based on the history thus far provided and a "yes" to the question I posed. Glad it's getting better.
Paingod wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:04 am 10 days of antibiotics done, 4 or 5 days without now, and the infection is returning. There's a "bright black dot" that I see when I look into the extreme upper-left corner, which appears in the lower-left corner. It never went away, and neither did the inflammation. My eye got real close to looking normal a couple days ago, but has since become angry again.

One doc casually says I should go back on the antibiotics that failed to kill it, and I'm looking to get an appointment with the first one (who did the initial check & prescription) to see what he thinks.
Paingod wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:50 am Yesterday I was running a mild fever and saw one of the other doctors in the practice. She said "preseptal cellulitis" (apparently another name for periorbital cellulitis - good call Freyland!). No one is discussing surgical drainage yet, but she did start me on a course of different antibiotics. Cephalexin. She had me "jump start" this with two doses about 5-6 hours apart, and I'm back to a normal 12 hour/pill schedule today.

Still seeing the bright black dot when I look in the extreme upper-left corner of my eye range, and still with just my right eye. Still soreness when moving my eye in that range. Neither of the doctors seemed concerned about that black dot - like, at all. I woke up today with some crusting in my left eye, which is new, but not a huge issue as I imagine if it's a secondary infection it's about to get killed anyway. If it gets worse, I'll let them know.
Freyland wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:09 pm Thanks for the update and the feedback, Paingod. I'm a worry-wart, but I'm not there, so I am going assume you are in good hands. That said, if things worsen I would nudge them towards an orbital CT, which is not at all out of the question.
I did end up taking to the first doctor about the eye crustiness, and he assumed the antibiotics would deal with whatever it was. It hasn't returned.

This is what I just sent to the two doctors that have seen me so far:

I’m not sure how quickly the antibiotics are supposed to take effect. I’ve been on them since Tuesday (with the “jump start” of two doses 5 hours apart) and the swelling in my eye has only increased. Going into the weekend, I wasn’t sure if I needed to be checked again, if an x-ray or scan should be done to see what the source is, or if I should wait it out and hope the antibiotics will kick in.

The other symptoms – the bright black dot when looking up/left, soreness when looking up in any direction, and feeling of constant pressure have not lessened. Yesterday I experienced something new, though. For a brief moment on my drive home – less than a couple minutes – I felt a sharp stinging sensation, inside the soft tissue over my right eye – inside, above my eye, not outside on the skin. The feeling hasn’t returned.

*Edit: While I was away from my desk, the two doctors had a conversation with me CC'd and they've decided to send me to a hospital for a consult with one of their colleagues there - maybe some blood work, maybe some IV antibiotics if the blood work shows anything alarming. She dropped the MRSA acronym, as in "We don't want to wait on this if it's..."

Waiting to hear back on that. Awesome. I may end up being admitted to a hospital for this. :?

**Edit: My lack of a PCP is complicating it as I need a referral if I need an MRI. In the last 23 years, I've never had a real PCP. I picked a name out of a hat once when an HR person made me do it 10 years ago, but that was three jobs and three insurance plans ago and I never saw them for anything. Thankfully, my co-workers (being doctors) are looking at getting me a quick PCP that can rubber-stamp whatever they need me to do.
Black Lives Matter

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'm glad you are staying on top of this, Paingod. Like I said, I'm a worry-wart. I know they mentioned MRSA as a concern, but I doubt it; you would not have seen the improvements you experienced in the beginning if it was a resistant bug. OTOH, if it is the peri-orbital cellulitis we have been discussing, oral abx are unlikely to reach concentrations that will penetrate deeper tissues or pus collections. Hence the iv abx or sometimes surgical drainage.
Btw, CT scans are apparently good enough these days for the diagnosis, and are a fuckton cheaper than MRI's.

Finally, for clarification, after I have been rereading things-- peri-orbital and orbital cellulitis both refer to infections of or immediately around the eyeball. Pre-septal cellulitis is what they keep insisting your diagnosis is, which is a more superficial infection in the front of the eye socket. The latter is easier to treat, the former is bad mojo, and important to address promptly to avoid vision loss and possibly that pesky death thing. Which brings us full circle to me being a worry-wart in your honor. 8-)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds a little like the time I got a speck of glass under my eyelid.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Freyland wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:50 amBtw, CT scans are apparently good enough these days for the diagnosis, and are a fuckton cheaper than MRI's.
The second doctor I saw is taking over and working on trying to get me in to a CT scan by her own request instead of sending me to the ER with a note begging them to skip the first 12 steps and go right to where I need to be.

After this, I suppose I'll get a PCP - though it still seems pointless except as a coordinator of care. I'll never forget asking one of the senior doctors here what happens to medical doctors that graduate at the bottom of the class. I mean - they barely pass, but still get medical degrees. His reply? "They become general practitioners." ... It instills the confidence.

How long do IV antibiotics take to complete? I'm going to feel ridiculous sitting in a hospital bed, feeling completely healthy, with nothing more than a puffy eye, for days on end.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You'd probably feel ridiculous as a blinded corpse, too.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Paingod what state do you live in? My wife has an incredibly rare eye condition, so over the years we've gotten to know who some of the best eye doctors in the world are. If you happen to be near one we know, I'd be more than happy to give you a recommendation.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:25 am Paingod what state do you live in? My wife has an incredibly rare eye condition, so over the years we've gotten to know who some of the best eye doctors in the world are. If you happen to be near one we know, I'd be more than happy to give you a recommendation.
I'm up in Maine. I work for a group of pretty well-respected Optometrists who know all the doctors around here. Doesn't mean they know them all, though... :D ... any names would be welcome.
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 am You'd probably feel ridiculous as a blinded corpse, too.
:orcs-buttshake:
Black Lives Matter

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Paingod wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:03 am
Freyland wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:50 amBtw, CT scans are apparently good enough these days for the diagnosis, and are a fuckton cheaper than MRI's.
The second doctor I saw is taking over and working on trying to get me in to a CT scan by her own request instead of sending me to the ER with a note begging them to skip the first 12 steps and go right to where I need to be.

After this, I suppose I'll get a PCP - though it still seems pointless except as a coordinator of care. I'll never forget asking one of the senior doctors here what happens to medical doctors that graduate at the bottom of the class. I mean - they barely pass, but still get medical degrees. His reply? "They become general practitioners." ... It instills the confidence.

How long do IV antibiotics take to complete? I'm going to feel ridiculous sitting in a hospital bed, feeling completely healthy, with nothing more than a puffy eye, for days on end.
That doctor's general practitioner comment is offensive, not just for the generalization but also because "general practitioner" is such a broad and vague term. When I was in the office I took care of entire families because I have multiple medical degrees, yet I would fall under his brush strokes. Even more ironic, now that I have a more specialized niche in the hospital, I actually know less. Go figure.

IV antibiotics are 7-14 days for peri-orbital cellulitis, but I suppose an Infectious Disease specialist might be more comfortable with a shorter course of treatment based on progress. More likely, if you needed this prolonged course, they would give you a few days to show improvement then send you home with a picc line and arrange home iv abx. Have I mentioned the possibility of surgical drainage? I should mention surgical drainage.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Freyland wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 amThat doctor's general practitioner comment is offensive, not just for the generalization but also because "general practitioner" is such a broad and vague term.
I expect it was "professional" snark - I know some network specialists would poo-poo me being a generalist. Try not to take offense at his comment and my ignorance. I certainly have been appreciating the help, and you've been two steps ahead of these "specialists" without even seeing me... :D
Freyland wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 amIV antibiotics are 7-14 days for peri-orbital cellulitis ... More likely, if you needed this prolonged course, they would give you a few days to show improvement then send you home with a picc line and arrange home iv abx.
Oh, poop. I'm going to need a laptop with WiFi and Netflix.
Freyland wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 amHave I mentioned the possibility of surgical drainage? I should mention surgical drainage.
If anyone brings it up, I won't scoff at it. I got cold sweats and shakes at having a wisdom tooth pulled that took 20 seconds and I felt nothing, so I imagine having someone stuff a needle in my head will go over well. :oops:
Last edited by Paingod on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Paingod wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:41 am
Freyland wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 amThat doctor's general practitioner comment is offensive, not just for the generalization but also because "general practitioner" is such a broad and vague term.
I expect it was professional snark - I know some network specialists would poo-poo me being a generalist. Try not to take offense at his comment and my ignorance. I certainly have been appreciating the help, and you've been two steps ahead of these "specialists" without even seeing me... :D
To be clear, I did not associate you with the comment at all.
Keep us informed!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

IV antibiotics are 7-14 days for peri-orbital cellulitis
I can hear the lamentations of the gut flora from here.