Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Random randomness

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 pm When I scroll down it means I'm done with the video. Not, "I want the video to follow me in a tinier window". This shit is why people go postal.
Preach
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:01 pm Smart ducks

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/a ... svvp9.webm
Well, given that they're CGI ducks, I'm not surprised!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

After seventeen years cicadas come out of hibernation and promptly catch catch coronavirus and all die off.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

finished the FCC 'Amateur Extra' license exam manual, so now i'm studying for the exam (whenever i'll be able to take the exam, again, that is...) took my first practice exam tonight and got 33/50 - passing is 37/50, so i have a ways to go ... i would rather not juuuuuust squeak by with a passing grade.

https://hamstudy.org/

the current question pool expires on the last day of June, so if i don't get to take the exam by then, i hope that the new question pool is not tooo different...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just cleaned the car out. Took me 3 hours. Id been meaning to clean it out for a few years but never got to it due to being unwell or weather or you name it. Was going to last year but after losing Lil'D I couldn't bring myself to move her pillows and such. But it was time. Plus Ive got to get the oil changed and it needs a wash visit and a vacuum so didn't want anything to go missing on me. Better to move it and have it than lose it. And if I was in a wreck no telling where stuff would end up.

Its empty now except toothpicks, registration, owners manual and cds in radio. I plan to replace them with updated ones just haven't got around to making any. May need cdrs anyways. I need my stimulus though. Cant do a thing until I get it.

Now I feel sick due to the heat and strain. Im soaked in sweat. Think I may puke. Back and knee killing me. Fuck old age and disabilities. They suck. Be sure to tell young people to never get old :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:04 pm Im soaked in sweat. Think I may puke.
Be careful. That sounds an awful like like heat exhaustion, which could get really nasty if you don't cool off and drink a fair amount of fluids.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sitting in a AC room wit ha fan on me and sipping a coca cola. helps. Im better. Still wet though. need a shower. Putting it off until Im rested. Im puny . Its 87 right now.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:41 am finished the FCC 'Amateur Extra' license exam manual, so now i'm studying for the exam (whenever i'll be able to take the exam, again, that is...) took my first practice exam tonight and got 33/50 - passing is 37/50, so i have a ways to go ... i would rather not juuuuuust squeak by with a passing grade.

the current question pool expires on the last day of June, so if i don't get to take the exam by then, i hope that the new question pool is not tooo different...
Super fun! I went through that process years ago but have long since let my license expire. I've been thinking about trying to take the test again and renew it soon. Just imagine, the ability to communicate with people living in distant places! (Don't get me wrong though, it's a fun hobby despite it becoming increasingly anachronistic.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fraking hell. Ive had a place on my back thats bothered me for about 3 days. I keep thinking theres something there thats bit me. I was thinking tick. But I cant see the spot at all. And with 2 mirrors I cant make out what it might be. Its in the exact place I cant reach at all. If my wife was here np. But me alone I cant. If I swing my body and fling my arm around back there hard as I can I can BBAAAAaarly touch it with my thumb nail...barely. I can rub it enough to tell I think it IS a tick. It moves and is sorta flat. In the mirror after rubbing at it I can feel its swollen there and red around it and white in the center with a black spot. But I cant scratch it off with my thumbnail. Its slick with fluid that has no color so not blood and I cant grab it with just a thumb nail. Not sure what to do. Dont want to see a doc about it but may have to. I might be able to scrub it off on a door frame which is sickening sounding. Plus if I dont get it out right it will be worse. And then again maybe its not a tick. I dont have options these days.

Its late for a doc plus with COVID I hate doing that. Arfg.

EDIT: Well cant get in today. Memorial Day. Also they close at 5 instead of 8 thanks to COVID so cant make it. Just have a tick on my back that will stay there until tomorrow I guess. Maybe I wont get Lyme or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

If you can barely reach it, maybe put a glop of vaseline on it? If it's a tick, it'll suffocate and have to let go. Though not sure that would explain the weird liquid though.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

wonderpug wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:44 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:41 am finished the FCC 'Amateur Extra' license exam manual, so now i'm studying for the exam (whenever i'll be able to take the exam, again, that is...) took my first practice exam tonight and got 33/50 - passing is 37/50, so i have a ways to go ... i would rather not juuuuuust squeak by with a passing grade.

Super fun! I went through that process years ago but have long since let my license expire. I've been thinking about trying to take the test again and renew it soon. Just imagine, the ability to communicate with people living in distant places! (Don't get me wrong though, it's a fun hobby despite it becoming increasingly anachronistic.)
you can use digital modes on some frequencies... http://hamuniverse.com/hfdigitalmodessoftware.html
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:04 pm
Its empty now except toothpicks, registration, owners manual and cds in radio. I plan to replace them with updated ones just haven't got around to making any. May need cdrs anyways. I need my stimulus though. Cant do a thing until I get it.
do you need CD-Rs? if so, how many? i use maybe one a year out of my stash.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 pm
Thanks.

Ive always just bought a spindle of 50 of them. I actually only NEED 6 since its a 6 disc changer in the car. But thought I might make extras plus id need a few for failures and such. My thought was to buy a 10 pack or so online then I looked and they are like 50 for $10 so thats my plan.

I haven't used the burner in probably 5 years and when I went to look I had no discs left lol. I think I used the Lightscribe ability 5 times for my wife to show it off. I prefer to just write on it with a sharpie :)

Anyways I need 10 but will probably buy a 50 spindle. I mean for less than $10 thats nuts.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:28 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 pm
Thanks.

Ive always just bought a spindle of 50 of them. I actually only NEED 6 since its a 6 disc changer in the car. But thought I might make extras plus id need a few for failures and such. My thought was to buy a 10 pack or so online then I looked and they are like 50 for $10 so thats my plan.

I haven't used the burner in probably 5 years and when I went to look I had no discs left lol. I think I used the Lightscribe ability 5 times for my wife to show it off. I prefer to just write on it with a sharpie :)

Anyways I need 10 but will probably buy a 50 spindle. I mean for less than $10 thats nuts.
you practically have to try hard to make failures when burning, now. write at the minimum speed supported by the media to make extra-sure.

discs also last longer if you write on the clear hub portion of the CD-R and not on the reflective media part.

anyways, if you want some, let me know.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just threw away all of my CDs last week. Along with a huge stack of 3.5" floppies. None of our computers have optical disk readers anymore (although I do have an external one, just in case).
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:36 pm I just threw away all of my CDs last week. Along with a huge stack of 3.5" floppies. None of our computers have optical disk readers anymore (although I do have an external one, just in case).
So you don't think any of those will become collectables? Ditto on the external drive.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I still have all my stuff....5.2 3.5 cd dvd . I even have all the floppy demo disks from all the magazines I got in the late 80s early 90s through all the cd demos disks in the mid 90s on until i quit buying mags and or they quit giving the disks away because of the internet. I even have all the 10 or 12 cd mag that was all on cd...no paper.

Enlarge Image
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:42 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:36 pm I just threw away all of my CDs last week. Along with a huge stack of 3.5" floppies. None of our computers have optical disk readers anymore (although I do have an external one, just in case).
So you don't think any of those will become collectables? Ditto on the external drive.
I still have my old boxed Sierra computer games/discs because I can't bear to part with those (my name's in the credits!). I still have a handful of other old PC games, too, but even if anybody would buy them, I haven't used ebay in probably 10+ years and I can't imagine that the money would be worth the hassle.

Every now and then I get the urge to purge. Ultimately I would like to own nothing except my computers, but getting rid of stuff without throwing it away is tedious.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I can't do that myself. Next thing you know I'd have to throw out my wife and some of my dogs.
I nowadays store my stuff on USB drives. I have amongst others a 256G USB drive. That would hold half my Steam collection or more.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
disarm

Post by disarm »

Daehawk wrote:I still have all my stuff....5.2 3.5 cd dvd . I even have all the floppy demo disks from all the magazines I got in the late 80s early 90s through all the cd demos disks in the mid 90s on until i quit buying mags and or they quit giving the disks away because of the internet. I even have all the 10 or 12 cd mag that was all on cd...no paper.

Enlarge Image
Coconut monkey!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It was upper 80s today and humid and the twins wanted water fun. We have an inflatable pool (120"x72"x22") in the basement, so I took it out, spent over 30 minutes inflating the damn thing, and then filled it with water for about 2 hours. The twins splashed around in it for at least two hours and had a great time. I was pretty happy that they enjoyed it so much.

I went to take out garbage tonight, and I see that the pool is deflating. One use, and it's toast. I've got my money on one of the damn alley cats poking it with a claw.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I was a teeny little tike in the early 70s I had one of those plastic round pools with built in slide. I still remember how cold that water hose water was...brrrr.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They make patch kits.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm pretty sure my fingers are slurring my passwords this morning. Or it's the first day back from a 4-day weekend and my body is reflexively telling me to go home. Either or. Can't tell.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:15 am They make patch kits.
That would require me to (1) find the leak, and (2) actually bother patching it.

You can see my dilemma.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:37 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:15 am They make patch kits.
That would require me to (1) find the leak, and (2) actually bother patching it.

You can see my dilemma.
Lack of motivation does have its drawbacks.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:58 pm I can't do that myself. Next thing you know I'd have to throw out my wife and some of my dogs.
I nowadays store my stuff on USB drives. I have amongst others a 256G USB drive. That would hold half my Steam collection or more.
be careful, those can occasionally just totally fail.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I parked beside this pretty girl today. I asked the guy with her if I could take her picture and he said yes. He popped the hood and it was so clean under there. Car was clean inside and out. Lucky guy.

Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Did you tell him your car has ants?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't want to hurt his feelings since he didn't seem to have any and Im not sharing mine.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's a nifty color. Looks like cerulean blue maybe? I'm not the best with colors.

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:wink:
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I had a massive clean up spree 2 years ago. Now referred to as "the purge" I got rid of many many games on cd, and a huge pile of manuals. (lots of other stuff as well, the games pile was just one category) I was just hording them. I mean, its cool that I had a copy of age of empires whatever and the instruction manual, but I literally never touched it except to move it from place to place when ever I moved to a different house. I kept a few things, but its likely I don't need them. GOG probably has them available, and i didn't bother checking. Games, unlike music and books, don't really age that well except for a few special ones.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

This morning in the car I had a thought for my own Purge.

I don't keep much, but what I do have are a lot of little trinkets that relate back to events in my life. Like each thing has memories and a story. I realized while I was in the car that these things aren't important, but the memories they evoke are. I wondered if I could take photos of each item and put together the stories I can recall, then save my "memory shelves" in a digital format. I wondered if I would even need the physical objects, as long as I kept a couple copies of the results in safe places - like at home, at work, etc.

I've considered living in a small or tiny house before, but there's clutter that can't go with me. That might fix it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Lent my truck to my DIL today. Wouldn't start. Found the battery connectors were loose. Saw where the mechanic had tried to jury rig them. I guess it worked two or three times before giving up the ghost. Ordered some more.
<sigh>
My whole covid check went to fixing my truck and lawnmowers.
And I haven't heard anything from the lawnmower guy.
<double sigh>
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't have a large house (as I may have mentioned), so anything new that comes into the house involves purging something else. I still have all of my old games, but they're in three CD folders in the closet. All of the boxes, manuals, and so forth are long gone (save for a special few.) I just couldn't keep them anymore. When we got the pigeon, I had to get rid of my video rack to fit the cage in, so all of my DVDs/BluRays (save for a special few) went into a single large CD folder and all the cases went away.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Jaymon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:15 pm I had a massive clean up spree 2 years ago. Now referred to as "the purge" I got rid of many many games on cd, and a huge pile of manuals. (lots of other stuff as well, the games pile was just one category) I was just hording them. I mean, its cool that I had a copy of age of empires whatever and the instruction manual, but I literally never touched it except to move it from place to place when ever I moved to a different house. I kept a few things, but its likely I don't need them. GOG probably has them available, and i didn't bother checking. Games, unlike music and books, don't really age that well except for a few special ones.
Did this a few years ago but kept some choice pieces. Mostly, old Bradey and Sybex game guides to stuff like Wizardy 8/etc. I did keep some full intact game boxes that were cool to keep on display in my office. I have a corner curio thing full of gaming/nerd knicknacks. Stuff like Frredoom Force that is almost a work of Art looks great on there with other geek stuff.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My wife jumped my case this morning. Apparently I'm bad husband and possibly the worst person on the planet earth.
I might be. I can't remember.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 pm My wife jumped my case this morning. Apparently I'm bad husband and possibly the worst person on the planet earth.
I might be. I can't remember.
I remember! You are a saint who waits on her hand and foot.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter