Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msteelers

Re: Random randomness

Post by msteelers »

Paingod wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:45 am Is there a clinical term for being burned out on everything? Or is that just life?

I keep finding it hard to get motivated for tasks, projects, events, and other things. I have time and ability, but the motivation is just gone. All I want to do is spend a couple months straight doing nothing at all. I don't feel like this is depression - I'm not struggling to get out of bed in the morning, I'm not thinking suicidal thoughts. I just don't want to deal with anything anymore. I'm tired of BS projects at work, tired of trying to keep my house from falling apart, tired of driving 35 minutes to work each way, very very tired of politics ... I'm just tired of everything.

I just had a vacation a couple weeks back, and that "vacation" was spent at home while my wife went on an multi-mountain Colorado adventure with her brother. I got to stay home and take care of her 9 dogs and my 1 dog. I had 3 days alone, just me and the dogs, and 6 days with 1 of the kids - the other was at camp the whole time. Those three days were great - except for having the part time job of caring for a dozen animals. I felt almost like me again during those three days, instead of a corporate drone/parent.

This feeling of not caring amplified after that vacation, instead of diminished. :?

Living in a van down by the river is starting to sound appealing. This can't be normal.
I go through this periodically. In fact, I’m going through it now. Although I hope the van has WiFi.

I think(hope) it’s normal.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You need a hobby where you actually have *something* to hold or admire as part of your effort. Submitting imaginary reports, binge-watching TV or playing video games can be satisfying, but not in the same way as actually holding the result of your effort in your hands. Any type of hobby where you must build or create something would be applicable here. I honestly think that's why STEM stuff has become so popular for kids over the last few years - so much of the STEM work involves pulling things apart and then trying to put them back together. Right or wrong, you have something to look at and that's an incredibly rewarding experience.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I did recently pull the three models I had underway out of the closet and set them up in the bedroom spare desk - but the heat prevents me from sitting in there for any length of time. One is a wooden boat, another is a typical car model, and the last is a Staghound Armored Vehicle. I've only primed the car and armored vehicle, and it's been years since I worked on them - but thought I might get into it again.

I also have a small wood shop in the basement where I can do wood turning, but I've struggled to find things I like making. The kids only need so many cudgels, and I don't have any stools that need new legs. The last thing I made was a cool looking 'Dragon Egg' - using aged/fungal permeated wood that developed a cool pattern... but after turning it, the fungus exploded in growth and I had to put the whole thing in the freezer to preserve it while I try and figure out how to make it work. I'm waiting another month for my birthday to come around, when my wife is planning to give me a resin vacuum chamber kit that I can use to permeate and permanently seal the egg to finish it - and once I've got that figured out, I'm planning to try other things.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You wake up in the morning, get something for the pot
Wonder why the sun makes the rocks feel hot
Draw on the walls, eat, get laid
Back in the good old days

Then some damn fool invents the wheel
Listen to the whitewalls squeal
You spend all day looking for a parking spot
Nothing for the heart, nothing for the pot
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:35 pm You need a hobby where you actually have *something* to hold or admire as part of your effort. Submitting imaginary reports, binge-watching TV or playing video games can be satisfying, but not in the same way as actually holding the result of your effort in your hands. Any type of hobby where you must build or create something would be applicable here.
I've found this to be true. I've also found that building games can substitute in a pinch, but ultimately I just have to build something.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

May I suggest some paper-crafting:

http://www.cubefold-craft.com/game-series
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

msteelers wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:34 pm
Paingod wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:45 am Is there a clinical term for being burned out on everything? Or is that just life?

I keep finding it hard to get motivated for tasks, projects, events, and other things. I have time and ability, but the motivation is just gone. All I want to do is spend a couple months straight doing nothing at all. I don't feel like this is depression - I'm not struggling to get out of bed in the morning, I'm not thinking suicidal thoughts. I just don't want to deal with anything anymore. I'm tired of BS projects at work, tired of trying to keep my house from falling apart, tired of driving 35 minutes to work each way, very very tired of politics ... I'm just tired of everything.

I just had a vacation a couple weeks back, and that "vacation" was spent at home while my wife went on an multi-mountain Colorado adventure with her brother. I got to stay home and take care of her 9 dogs and my 1 dog. I had 3 days alone, just me and the dogs, and 6 days with 1 of the kids - the other was at camp the whole time. Those three days were great - except for having the part time job of caring for a dozen animals. I felt almost like me again during those three days, instead of a corporate drone/parent.

This feeling of not caring amplified after that vacation, instead of diminished. :?

Living in a van down by the river is starting to sound appealing. This can't be normal.
I go through this periodically. In fact, I’m going through it now. Although I hope the van has WiFi.

I call it being me. Don't be me. That burn eventually morphed in to anxiety... only the burnout never went away. It was just the foundation for another brick to be laid on it. Anxiety led to lethargy which reinforced the burnout, etc... So nip the shit in the bud... And then tell me you did it. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Aww you posted too late! You could have had an actual piece of rock n roll history if you'd just got the Aerosmith van for $25k

American Pickers buy Aerosmith van

Old rusty falling apart van Aerosmith ran around in in the early 70s. A founding member even came out and identified it.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im on a roll. I weedeated about 5 days ago and got a chigger bite and a tick bite. Both are itching me half to death. Then the next morning I woke up with a spider bite on my leg. Now its the size of a golf ball and it itches too. Nothing Ive tried helps much...Neosporin, Cortizone cream, baking soda and water. Ready to cut the places off.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wear long pants and sleeves, gloves, and tape them down.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am definitely getting fitter, by force. My new job made me walk way in excess of what I normally do. My fitness tracker tracked about 12000 steps yesterday. My knees and ankles are sore, but I guess that's expected.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

30 years ago it would have been nothing though. I know the feeling.

Post by Default »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am I am definitely getting fitter, by force. My new job made me walk way in excess of what I normally do. My fitness tracker tracked about 12000 steps yesterday. My knees and ankles are sore, but I guess that's expected.
You've been doing this, a couple of weeks, a month, maybe? You will be doing better, once you have some time to adjust. I usually take 2-3 ibuprofin when I get to work and that kicks in just about when l hit the street. Try and find sneakers with arch support and bounce to them. That will help absorb the shocks that your knees and ankles are getting. Avoid Sketchers, they have no support at all.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

msteelers wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:34 pm

I keep finding it hard to get motivated for tasks, projects, events, and other things.
<stuff>

I had a feeling like that last week. I know what burnout feels like, though, and this was different. I can only explain it as feeling "void". Maybe you'd call it existential angst. It wasn't not-feeling, just kind of existing. I wouldn't call it depression but I don't know whether I've had that before (clinically). But then I started worrying about feeling that way and it sort of went away.

I do also have the burnout going on right now too. I just ordered myself a kit to help me create an army of SJG Ogre minis that arrived randomly (because I wasn't paying attention) through the Ogre Minis v2 KS. I am no painter, in fact I despise being forced to endure painting of any kind. However, I'll happily assemble minis. I thoroughly enjoyed creating a plastic mini Space Marine and Tyranid army long ago.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For a year now Ive been thinking about making models again. Not done any since about 1992 or so. Then it hits me I no longer know where my model making table is, I have no cutting tools, no paint and no brushes, nothing. It would cost money I dont have so I forget it for a while.

Then Ill be sitting here staring at my PC with no urge to do anything on it and wondering if theres another hobby I could do. Then I think models...and remember I have no kits or tools :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I had the same revelation a few years ago. Had to buy a lot more paints but had the rest of the tools. Bought 2-3 dozen models and built them about a year before I got burned out. Every few months I work on another one for a week or two before I stop again.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

killbot737 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:48 pm I had a feeling like that last week. I know what burnout feels like, though, and this was different. I can only explain it as feeling "void". Maybe you'd call it existential angst. It wasn't not-feeling, just kind of existing. I wouldn't call it depression but I don't know whether I've had that before (clinically). But then I started worrying about feeling that way and it sort of went away.
I'm feeling this way more often than not lately as well. Not angry, sad, or depressed, but also not interested, present, or really much of anything. I'm just...here. Having a hell of a time getting motivated to do much of anything, so while I work long hours (like always), it's not really burnout.

I've been a career and family-driven guy my entire life, so this feeling is really strange. It's not awful, but it's not particularly satisfying either. Like I'm just kinda cruising through life without really engaging. Been trying to become more conscious about being present in the moment, but it seems like it's harder and harder to do without my mind wandering off.

If anyone figures out a good way to snap out of it, let us know.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A lot of times when Im playing a game I see that Im not happy or sad. Im not enjoying it or not not enjoying it. I feel like Im simply pressing buttons and watching things happen. Im disconnected from it.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That's how I got 6700 hours in Civ 5.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Default wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:57 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am I am definitely getting fitter, by force. My new job made me walk way in excess of what I normally do. My fitness tracker tracked about 12000 steps yesterday. My knees and ankles are sore, but I guess that's expected.
You've been doing this, a couple of weeks, a month, maybe? You will be doing better, once you have some time to adjust. I usually take 2-3 ibuprofin when I get to work and that kicks in just about when l hit the street. Try and find sneakers with arch support and bounce to them. That will help absorb the shocks that your knees and ankles are getting. Avoid Sketchers, they have no support at all.
This is end of 3rd week. I take 3 naproxen in the morning, and I even bought two knee braces... Just in case. Just went to Ross and bought 3 sets of cargo shorts. I also have a pair of convertible pants (where you can zipper the legs off) as I can't wear denim the whole day (I swear my rear pockets got wet from sweat)

I wear Avia Unions, which are good working shoes, at least I have no complaints. I added gel cushions inside. I used to be Nike Monarch exclusive. :) New Balance is a bit expensive. I can get Avia Union's for about $38 on Amazon in my size.

https://www.amazon.com/Avia-Avi-Union-S ... 07B4JDD9S/

I know regular Sketchers are worthless. How about their work shoes?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I say this as a poor person who has had multiple 'walk all day' jobs: Invest in shoes. It's better than any other investment you could make.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:17 pm That's how I got 6700 hours in Civ 5.
That's why I put ridiculous hours into just a few games, too. Once you get in the groove your brain goes on autopilot and hours pass like nothing. Your life will be over before you know it!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:08 am I say this as a poor person who has had multiple 'walk all day' jobs: Invest in shoes. It's better than any other investment you could make.
My current pair of Avia Avi-Union is quite comfy after I changed insoles I don't get blisters.

Some suggested wool socks rather than cotton. Any advice you can give me there? I wear Dickies Dri-tech crew socks, but I've read something about wearing merino wool blend socks are better. (Pure wool socks seem to be for cold climates)

As for insoles, I walked past a Walgreens and bought the best-looking insoles they got, which is the gel insoles, didn't even have time to trim the tip off to fit my shoes; I was on my way to work. They feel pretty good now. But are there any specific suggestions, I read about Spenco Polysorb insoles, and they look okay. I've seen some insoles online that cost more than shoes. (Eeek!)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to wear half tops a lot like those Avia. Best pair I owned were Reebok. My wife got me a nice leather shoe that looks almost like those Avia at Payless around 2010 and Im still wearing them. So comfy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Orca mom finally stops carrying dead baby

The orca mom that either gave stillbirth or lost it after birth and had carried the baby for 17 days and 1000 miles has finally stopped. Really made me sad. Hope she is ok now. So touching how she grieved for her baby.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:46 am Some suggested wool socks rather than cotton. Any advice you can give me there? I wear Dickies Dri-tech crew socks, but I've read something about wearing merino wool blend socks are better. (Pure wool socks seem to be for cold climates)
I walk an average of about 12k steps/day, 7 days/week. Aside from good shoes (I'm partial to Merrell's MOAB hiking shoes), I've found that wearing two pairs of socks (runners' toe socks under regular sports socks) has eliminated blisters and corns.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:18 pm
I walk an average of about 12k steps/day, 7 days/week. Aside from good shoes (I'm partial to Merrell's MOAB hiking shoes), I've found that wearing two pairs of socks (runners' toe socks under regular sports socks) has eliminated blisters and corns.
Researching the shoes seems to tell me that I do NOT want waterproof as that seems to cut off ventilation and thus makes smelly feet. I'm guessing waterproof-ness is more important on a real hiking trail than work hiking.

Merrell MOAB has so many different models, but they seem to have very limited models available in wide.

I will look into that double-sock idea.

EDIT: Wait, by "runner's toe socks", you mean the five-toe socks? Soemthing like this injinji sock liner? $10 EACH?! Youch.

https://www.injinji.com/liner-crew.html
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:54 pm EDIT: Wait, by "runner's toe socks", you mean the five-toe socks? Soemthing like this injinji sock liner?

https://www.injinji.com/liner-crew.html
Yes, the ones I wear are Injinji minicrews.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Interesting. As I said, I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip. There's ought to be some Chinese clones that are cheaper... ;)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found some powdered potatoes and made them. Had no beef for gravy base but did find 9 year out of date bullion cubes. Seemed fine. So looked up a recipe for brown gravy with them. Came out great. Also found 3 month out of date mac and cheese. That stuff is never very good anyways but it came out ok too. We'll see in a few hours how it all is I guess :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:26 pm Found some powdered potatoes and made them. Had no beef for gravy base but did find 9 year out of date bullion cubes. Seemed fine. So looked up a recipe for brown gravy with them. Came out great. Also found 3 month out of date mac and cheese. That stuff is never very good anyways but it came out ok too. We'll see in a few hours how it all is I guess :)
This sounds like a Fallout cosplay that has gone too far. :lol:

Enlarge ImageEnlarge Image

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont have a Geiger counter....now Im worried.

Post by Default »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:32 pm Interesting. As I said, I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip. There's ought to be some Chinese clones that are cheaper... ;)
Avoid cotton like the plague. Dress in layers. Carry a two gallon jug of water. On really hot days, mix in two containers of powerade. Don't live off that stuff. It's high in calories and the salt will cause stomach friskiness if you drink too much of it straight.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Default wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:34 pm Avoid cotton like the plague. Dress in layers. Carry a two gallon jug of water. On really hot days, mix in two containers of powerade. Don't live off that stuff. It's high in calories and the salt will cause stomach friskiness if you drink too much of it straight.
My Dickies Dri-tech crew socks are "76% cotton, 21% polyester, 2% spandex, 1% nylon". It does get a bit... toasty by the end of the day. I may need a sock upgrade soon.

I've been taking 32 oz water and it's definitely not enough, but I need to upgrade my bag to take more. Right now, I have to choose between a mini-sling bag or a huge 17 inch laptop bag. I need something in between, as I don't take THAT much stuff to work. :-P

EDIT: I am thinking of taking 2 x 32 oz water bottles, some basic sugar-free powder stuff I bought off Amazon (Crystal Light and Hawaiian punch, kid's stuff basically) and my tiny sling pack and the rest of the stuff (2 protein bars for emergencies, backup battery for phone, safety-visibility vest, and a few other things) means I can either take 1 water and a footlong sandwich... but not two bottles. Hmmm... choices, choices.

I am thinking about a messenger bag, but it may be too much of an overkill.

Post by Default »

You need the salt when you sweat that much. If you are drinking water and you are still lightheaded and notice that you can't concentrate, you are down on salt. That's why I go for powerade, rather than some diet drink. Unless you are diabetic, whatever calories you take in are going to burn off by noon.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was pre-diabetic, and I am not sure at the moment. I actually hadn't taken my blood sugar test for a long while. *sigh*

I just remembered something. I have a clip I can use to attach my water bottle to the backpack. That should give me 2 bottles for the day, cutting down on the amount of soda or such I have to buy on warm days.

EDIT: Wool blend socks are EXPENSIVE. I think the cheapest merino wool blend socks I can find are like 3 pairs for $24. The Dickies Dri-Tech I've been wearing are 6 pairs for $15. (!) The wool socks are 4x as expensive.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You can always ask in the runner thread, as there is a lot of overlap between running and hiking and those guys are well educated about this stuff.

When you sweat you lose more than water, which is why the salt discussion. Most "power drinks" have extra electrolytes added, which should cover that sort of thing. I have no idea which drinks are good/bad, so you should probably find out. I know of powerade, but don't know anything about it. Gatorade is another that people should be familiar with, but I don't know if they've done something to their formula that makes them a bad choice now. Just so there's no confusion, we're talking about electrolyte drinks and not caffeine drinks. You don't need any "wings" in your water.

I used to think running shirts and "wicking" away sweat was just a big marketing scam, but after spending a couple of seasons running years ago, I am now completely sold on the products. They are fantastic to keeping you cool and dry, although make sure you wash them right away as a couple of my shirts started to smell and no amount of cleaning ever fixed it. They were essentially worthless to me after that.

Same with socks. I have no idea if running and walking require different shoes/insoles. Something to find out and not just guess at. Products might look good on the shelf but not meet your needs.

On the plus side, I'm kind of excited for you to be exercising so much and getting in better shape. I wish I were doing that. Sorry about the pain. I know from experience how bad it can be, but I also know that it gets better with time.

I know there are backpacks (camelback is a brand I think?) that are basically large water bottles, with a hose that reaches near your mouth so you can take a pull every once in awhile just by turning your head to the side. Easier to carry and drink, and easier to haul large quantities. I've never used them but people swear by them and the idea sounds good.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:03 pm Orca mom finally stops carrying dead baby

The orca mom that either gave stillbirth or lost it after birth and had carried the baby for 17 days and 1000 miles has finally stopped. Really made me sad. Hope she is ok now. So touching how she grieved for her baby.
I get that these are intelligent animals, and this is a sad thing - but it won't stop me from referring to killer whales as "A##holes of the Ocean" - they take too much joy in killing and playing with prey. I started not liking them after seeing a video of them hunting and mercilessly drowning a humpback whale calf with the mother there, unable to stop them both. At the end, all they did was eat the calf's tongue and leave. A##holes.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have one of those hydration packs, actually. But I'm walking in short bursts, as I am driving half the time. So I don't need to carry the water with me.

I delivered 87 boxes on Friday, and walked about 16000 steps, that's a personal record. I did a bit less on other days, as I did the driving and my helper did the walking. (No helper last Friday)

Right now, my biggest problem is a bit of pain in my Achilles' tendon in my right foot. Once I've loosened it up and 3 naproxen's later, it's "fine". I've tried an ankle wrap but it didn't help much. I've ordered something off Amazon that may help, we shall see about that.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Paingod wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:10 am
Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:03 pm Orca mom finally stops carrying dead baby

I get that these are intelligent animals, and this is a sad thing - but it won't stop me from referring to killer whales as "A##holes of the Ocean" - they take too much joy in killing and playing with prey. I started not liking them after seeing a video of them hunting and mercilessly drowning a humpback whale calf with the mother there, unable to stop them both. At the end, all they did was eat the calf's tongue and leave. A##holes.
This particular pod of A##holes is down to 75 individuals, and the dead calf was their first birth in 3 years.