Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

So, we have a pet racing pigeon, a rescue. We've had her for a while now. She's never been wild, and is friendly and affectionate. Yesterday I was dumb, though. She likes to nuzzle, so I was up against her. My son comes up from the other side and startles her, and she tries to move away, but my head is in the way. She gives me a quick peck to get me to move. No big deal, except for how my head is situated, which landed the peck right in my left eyeball.

That earned me a trip to the ER and a nice, V-shaped double scratch right along my cornea. I'm told that it is a fast healing injury and that i should be back to normal in a few days, but that corneal abrasions can be one of the most painful injuries while healing. As of right now, I can't keep my eyes open for more than a few seconds, and can't focus on anything (can't see to game, or read, or really to even watch TV), and I'm supposed to leave to pick the kids up in about three hours. Hell, I can't even get to the pharmacy to pick up the eyedrops they called in.

The kicker is that it is my own fault. I've spent years around birds, and I've told the kids repeatedly to not get close to any bird's head with your eyes open unless you're wearing glasses.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've had corneal scratches and you have my deepest sympathies. They are right about being quick healing though. Good luck.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:13 am So, we have a pet racing pigeon, a rescue. We've had her for a while now. She's never been wild, and is friendly and affectionate. Yesterday I was dumb, though. She likes to nuzzle, so I was up against her. My son comes up from the other side and startles her, and she tries to move away, but my head is in the way. She gives me a quick peck to get me to move. No big deal, except for how my head is situated, which landed the peck right in my left eyeball.

That earned me a trip to the ER and a nice, V-shaped double scratch right along my cornea. I'm told that it is a fast healing injury and that i should be back to normal in a few days, but that corneal abrasions can be one of the most painful injuries while healing. As of right now, I can't keep my eyes open for more than a few seconds, and can't focus on anything (can't see to game, or read, or really to even watch TV), and I'm supposed to leave to pick the kids up in about three hours. Hell, I can't even get to the pharmacy to pick up the eyedrops they called in.

The kicker is that it is my own fault. I've spent years around birds, and I've told the kids repeatedly to not get close to any bird's head with your eyes open unless you're wearing glasses.
Get you an eye patch and load it up with gauze to keep the eye closed underneath it.

Sincerely,

Bell's Palsy
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:45 am USA Today
A total of 39 people were aboard the boat for a holiday weekend diving expedition. The Concepcion was at anchor when the fire started overnight. Five crew members who were on the deck fled and were rescued. The victims, ranging in age from 16 to 62, apparently died from smoke inhalation, authorities have said.
LA Times
The Conception was raised from the depths of Platts Harbor and is now at the Port Hueneme naval facility, where the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives national incident team of leading fire experts are examining the power, fuel and electrical systems, federal officials said.

As the investigation continues, the U.S. Coast Guard took the unprecedented step of recommending that owners of passenger vessels immediately urge crews to “reduce potential fire hazards and consider limiting the unsupervised charging of lithium-ion batteries and extensive use of power strips and extension cords.”

Divers and others in the boat world said the electrical systems of boats such as the Conception have been put to the test in recent years as the number of electronics brought on board has increased.
Preliminary investigations have suggested the fire did not start in the engine room, and there are growing signs the origin was in the galley area. On the morning of the fire, one crew member told a rescuer he thought the fire started with electronic devices charging in the galley.
Statistics gathered by insurers and industry watchdogs show that about 55% of shipboard fires in smaller vessels are related to electrical systems. Given the boat had an electric galley and no propane or gasoline, investigators will look at the electrical systems and appliances and their interaction with combustibles, said John McDevitt, a former assistant fire chief, marine surveyor and chairman of the National Fire Protection Assn.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:32 am

Get you an eye patch and load it up with gauze to keep the eye closed underneath it.
Putting pressure on the eyelid is a no-go. The pain mostly comes from the scratches rubbing against the inside of the eyelid. I have considered an eyepatch just to keep that eye dark, though. After all, it did happen on International Talk Like a Pirate Day...

The boys' grandmother is going to go get them from school. I had to take the car over to her. It's about a three block drive, all side streets with no traffic. I don't think I've ever had to focus as intensely as during that three block drive before. I have zero light tolerance right now, and since it happened, my eyes have been watering so bad that the tears are coming out of my nose. The walk back hurt more, since I was in direct sunlight, but at least I didn't have to worry about getting in a wreck.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:13 am I've spent years around birds, and I've told the kids repeatedly to not get close to any bird's head with your eyes open unless you're wearing glasses.
something i have never really thought about, but now i am glad to know.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Although it wasn't the case this time, I don't think, birds will instinctively peck at strong contrasts. Bright spots on a dark surface, dark spots on a light surface. Human eyes have strong contrasts, and they tend to be shiny, too.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ambien helped me exactly zero and it had none of the side effects neither either.

Chantrix, OTOH, gave me the most vivid and best dreams. It was free entertainment every night. I was perpetually exhausted at that time in life, so insomnia wasn't a problem. I could have slept 18 hours a day every day if you let me. But I looked forward to bedtime every day to see how my brain was going to entertain me throughout the evening. It was the best part of the day.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

On the bright side, being temporarily semi-blind has allowed me to catch up on some William Gibson and justify my Audible subscription.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Isgrimnur wrote:Get you an eye patch and load it up with gauze to keep the eye closed underneath it.
Yesterday was talk like a pirate day, not look like a pirate day.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The doctor also made it very clear that eye patches were a no-no. The reduced oxygen to the eye and (even more) limited light makes infection much more likely.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fair enough. Different issues, different treatments.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:34 pm On the bright side, being temporarily semi-blind has allowed me to catch up on some William Gibson and justify my Audible subscription.
which book? i'm on Zero History right now. was trying to get to The Peripheral before Agency comes out in January, but i'm also trying to finish James Joyce's Ulysses by the end of the year - i believe that is going to suck up all my reading time for the near future.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Well, at least now I know why Blackhawk couldn't make our gaming session last night.

Here's hoping for some fast healing. Those Pandoran psycho's aren't going to kill themselves!

(Well, actually, they probably would eventually given the lore but it's more fun if we help them along.)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:53 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:34 pm On the bright side, being temporarily semi-blind has allowed me to catch up on some William Gibson and justify my Audible subscription.
which book? i'm on Zero History right now. was trying to get to The Peripheral before Agency comes out in January, but i'm also trying to finish James Joyce's Ulysses by the end of the year - i believe that is going to suck up all my reading time for the near future.
Count Zero. I use Auible mostly to listen to during workouts, but found that Gibson was a bad fit. Slow pacing with lots of description and detail is great when you're sitting in a chair with your eyes closed, but just doesn't work for heavy exercise.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I only listen to audiobooks when I'm driving, and I made the mistake once of trying to listen to "Neuromancer". Between all the random names and places, and without the ability to quickly flip a few pages back and reread any confusing bits, I completely lost track of WTF was happening less than halfway through. Pretty sure I never finished that book.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Count Zero is the sequel to Neuromancer. And yes, it's the same thing. Being able to sit in the dark with headphones on made it easier to keep track of, but it was still a lot for an audiobook (I read Neuromancer the old fashioned way.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The one thing that really bums me out about this is that I wasn't able to work out today. It is the first time in just over six months that I've missed a workout, and a lot of effort went into that record.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:13 am So, we have a pet racing pigeon, a rescue. We've had her for a while now. She's never been wild, and is friendly and affectionate. Yesterday I was dumb, though. She likes to nuzzle, so I was up against her. My son comes up from the other side and startles her, and she tries to move away, but my head is in the way. She gives me a quick peck to get me to move. No big deal, except for how my head is situated, which landed the peck right in my left eyeball.

Corneal Hen
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Whoo! I can watch TV today. I'm still pretty sensitive to light, and can only read for a few minutes before my eyes go wonky, but dammit, I can watch TV! After two days of sitting in the dark with sunglasses listening to audio books, that's a great change.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Nothing like having a major domestic dispute at a kids soccer game. Great big dude screaming “Fuck you, cunt” over and over at his wife/girlfriend right in front of a field full of 6 year old kids. Took off when a bunch of us started walking over.

Gonna be a fun car ride home trying to explain that one to the twins. :roll:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Maybe he is British.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Tell them he was yelling for the kids to "bunt", and when you guys explained it wasn't a tee ball game, they left.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Freyland wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:48 pm Tell them he was yelling for the kids to "bunt", and when you guys explained it wasn't a tee ball game, they left.
:lol:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Spent a few hours today assembling then populating an official 5x5 Kallax shelf from Ikea. It's the first thing from Ikea I've ever owned and/or assembled. I kinda feel like my life is more complete now that I own this, which took me an hour or so to admit but it's true.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

You haven’t truly lived until you’ve tried to assemble a large IKEA piece with a significant other.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm glad I did the entire thing solo. But yes, I can see where it would be a great relationship test prior to getting married. It was...intense at times.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:19 pm I'm glad I did the entire thing solo. But yes, I can see where it would be a great relationship test prior to getting married. It was...intense at times.
Mrs. Skinypupy and I have been together for 23 years now. One of our most iron clad, do-not-break-under-any-circumstances rules is that we absolutely do not do any home improvement and/or furniture assembly projects together.

To say those efforts have ended in disaster every time would be putting it mildly.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh, man, I hope you're OK! Eye damage is a pain *and* a hassle.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's not comparable, but one time I looked up and caught a massive gob of falling birdshit right on my glasses. Thank goodness I needed the prescription.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm able to game a bit this evening. Tomorrow I have D&D.

I will say this. It gave me a good appreciation of what truly blind people have to go through. For the first night and most of the next morning, I couldn't open my eyes at all, save for a second or two now and then. I had to do everything by feel, arrange items I needed where I could remember where they were, and suddenly all of my hobbies and time killers ceased to function. Two days of that? Not a problem. Knowing that it would be permanent? Yikes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wait...you got pecked in both eyes?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Couple years ago I poked myself in the eye while sleeping and scratched my lens. Not as serious as your pecked cornea, but it still took four visits to the ophthalmologist and about a gallon of eyedrops before it finally healed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk had to go to an ornithologist. :coffee:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:45 pm Blackhawk had to go to an ornithologist. :coffee:
:lol: :clap:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Arkansas was a 19 point favorite and lost. Just like last year. Might as well give the team the rest of the season off.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im so tired of stupid Facebook. I got it in the beginning for my wife's lead up to her high school reunion. Then she used it and loved. I said something stupid about it and she stopped using it a while. I tried to get her back into it and before she got sick she had started to a bit. Mostly since 2013 I would tell her when her friends birthdays popped up in my email. Other than that we didn't use it. But since her death I started using it just to keep in touch with my sister. I dont friend anyone. Dont feel its mine to do...plus I dont need more people listed. I did join a couple local pages just to see the history photos of the area.

But when I go to FB to see updates or see if my sister msg'd me or sent a pic I cant help but scroll down the opening page of postings. Every now and then theres something normal or relevant but my my my at the stupidity there. From stupid posts of "I couldn't believe what this video showed" to clearly photoshopped pics that posters have fallen for yet are TOTALLY blatent BS to me, to ads and crap. Just junk. I blo0cked them for a while but I give up. I think FB is stupid is all I want to post.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If it weren't for Facebook, I wouldn't know what my friends are having for lunch.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:10 am If it weren't for Facebook, I wouldn't know what my friends are having for lunch.
I thought thats what Twitter was for.