Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:05 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:48 pm The world is full of stupid but schools still seem to lead at being the dumbest places.
Huh, I'd have thought the issue would be with ripped jeans.
Should have seen our jeans in the 1980's. :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My kids' school has never allowed tank tops on girls for the same reason: girls have to cover up because boys can't be expected to control themselves. :x Ripped jeans, as I recall, are acceptable as long as they they don't expose underwear (I think it is the same basic rules as skirts for how high up skin can be exposed.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Put'm in burkas!!

:roll:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I was in school girls couldn't wear pants or shorts. Dresses could no higher than one inch above the knee. I don't remember about makeup.
Boys couldn't wear jeans or T-shirts. Or facial hair.
We could however, wear our six guns on our hips.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lol. I guess I was lucky as we could do with about anything. But they did get onto me for a military shirt that had a skull with a pair crossed M16s on it that said Special Forces Never Die They Just Go To Hell and Regroup. I was forced to wear it wrong side out the rest of the day.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There wasn't much prohibited when I was in school. Shorts and skirts were, I believe, 4 inches above the knee. No vulgarity. No bare midriffs. That was about it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I wore a T shirt to high school that said BULL SHIT in huge letters. The administration trembled, but dared not strike.

Cindy M. once wore a keyhole dress and every male in the 8th grade lost his mind.

Everybody survived.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Depends where the keyhole is I suppose :)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I remember when I was in elementary school kids regularly wore Budweiser shirts.

I'm clutching my own pearls just to think of it!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:06 am So how long do you think it will be before movies will be VR in theaters? Go in and sit with your headset and surround sound and be 360 movie. Say in a Star Wars cantina your view follows the characters in and you can look totally around you and see the entire place and aliens and no cameras. Maybe you dont control your POV and its controlled by the director. Beside the character or from the bar or something. Or maybe you do have some limited of control of where you are.

Id be happy to just be able to look around.
I think it translates better to games than film. VR would largely eliminate cinematography from movie. I don't think the director wants the audience looking behind the bar in the Cantina while Ben is cutting some dudes arm off.

Although it does open up some interesting story telling. I saw Southern Gothic and it was a totally new experience, wandering around he action and choosing what to follow (the play unfolds in real time with 8 characters on 5 or 6 different rooms.). You go with one story line and you miss another.

Well it was totally new for a non-video-game at any rate.

With just 30 audience members per performance, this immersive production welcomes you to wander about the "set" at your own leisure. You'll act as a fly on the wall, overseeing all the juicy drama unfold up close. With SOUTHERN GOTHIC, we welcome you to choose your own adventure.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not to mention that you'd have to actually build what's behind the bar. And behind the camera. And where do you put the lights and microphones? Besides, these days half of the shots are CGI against a green screen. You'd have to CGI 360 degrees instead of, what, 80 degrees worth? (Blind guess there, but the amount of area made viewable would be several times what it is now, meaning several times the most expensive element.)
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:06 am So how long do you think it will be before movies will be VR in theaters? Go in and sit with your headset and surround sound and be 360 movie. Say in a Star Wars cantina your view follows the characters in and you can look totally around you and see the entire place and aliens and no cameras. Maybe you dont control your POV and its controlled by the director. Beside the character or from the bar or something. Or maybe you do have some limited of control of where you are.

Id be happy to just be able to look around.
Id say never. It wouldnt be a movie. You can't tell a coherent story if you can't focus the audiences attention.

"Sorry, what was that about old droids and moisture farms? I was to busy gawking at Twi'lek Tits." I think ill just stay in this Cantina for a few hours, thanks!

Edit... i should read whole thread before responding to days ols post. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:52 am I wore a T shirt to high school that said BULL SHIT in huge letters. The administration trembled, but dared not strike.

Cindy M. once wore a keyhole dress and every male in the 8th grade lost his mind.

Everybody survived.
Objectionable words, phrases, and pictures were a nono for us and what was objectionable was what the principals said was objectionable. Short and skirts and could go one hand width above the knee. No exposed mid rifts.

I saw a friend's daughters first day of high school pic the other day and their school apparently does not mind exposed mid rifts any more. I was a little taken aback but I am hitting the age of being fossilized.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:52 am I wore a T shirt to high school that said BULL SHIT in huge letters. The administration trembled, but dared not strike.

You went to school with Cindy McCain?
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trent Reznor will be scoring the next Pixar film.

Not quite sure I can wrap my brain around that. Good for him, though.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.

Post by Default »

Next mortgage payment will take me down to 28.7k. Depending on how crazy work gets when we get into peak season at mailman central, I might be just cracking high 19 by the new year.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Yay! It's an awesome monkey to have off your back. Good debt, meh. A four figure bill every month was soul stabbing for me.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's great, Default. At this point, I can't imagine life without a monthly mortgage payment.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:30 pm Trent Reznor will be scoring the next Pixar film.

There's a film score forum I visit that despises this news, as they, generally speaking, hate Reznor and Ross as film score composers.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:02 am
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:30 pm Trent Reznor will be scoring the next Pixar film.

There's a film score forum I visit that despises this news, as they, generally speaking, hate Reznor and Ross as film score composers.
Weird, I think they do a really good job. Their scores are different from standard composers, but are always enjoyable.

Of course, I'm a big NIN fan (and fan of electronic/industrial music in general) to begin with, so I'm sure that biases my opinion somewhat.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I just got around to setting up a Britbox account this morning (Classic Doctor Who incoming!). They succeeded in making me laugh out loud when I was checking out the streaming UI and noticed that the audio volume can be turned up to 11.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:45 am I just got around to setting up a Britbox account this morning (Classic Doctor Who incoming!). They succeeded in making me laugh out loud when I was checking out the streaming UI and noticed that the audio volume can be turned up to 11.
I put the Pluto channel on my roku, it plays the doctor who classics.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:02 am

The worst part is that they will be forced to watch the movie. Just terrible.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Oh Irony in the Meta Forum, a link to a class about Information Security training for one of the top level certs by a spammer or spambot.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've been doing a lot of thinking on the subject, reading all the latest updates and keeping abreast of the rumors and gossip, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm team Liam. If things change on that front though, I'll update my post accordingly.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Some people take their toy when they travel and photograph it.

Some people photograph their legs when they travel.

One of my friends has taken to taking his toy legs when he travels and photographing them.

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have running water so ingrained into me now. Every time I hear running water I have to pee. I'm brushing my teeth, I have to pee. It's raining outside, I have to pee. I watch one of the dogs pee, I have to pee. I watch Aquaman, I have to pee.
So I watch A lot of western cowboy movies to keep it under control.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don’t forget the sword and sandal films.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:27 pm Some people photograph their legs when they travel.
Some people take that to extremes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:39 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:27 pm Some people photograph their legs when they travel.
I.....uh...wow. You could say she was attached to it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:39 am
And now John has been one upped.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This topic has legs.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

People are running with it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:48 pm The world is full of stupid but schools still seem to lead at being the dumbest places.

Tank tops violate school dress code but only for girl's shoulders because boys stare at them.
"When the dean approached me, she told me I was going to be dress coded, because of my shoulders being exposed. I had never had an issue with this before, so I respectfully asked why this was being enforced on the first day of school without any warning," Lynch told TODAY Style. "She told me it was due to boys looking at me, and boys looking at other girls."

Confused, Lynch asked the dean to clarify her statement.

"I proceeded to ask her why that was my issue, why it was my priority to make sure boys weren't looking at me. I never got a clear answer, it was just implied that boys have provocative mindsets, and it's a distraction to them. I have no issues with dress code policies, however, when it's not being enforced on both sides equally it's just one thing: discrimination."
Enlarge Image
The other thing is that as kids grow up and try to find out who they are, they push boundaries to see what they can do. It's an important part of growing up, IMHO.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Almost got into an accident last night on the way home.

On my usual route there's a slow zone. It's usually busy, but yesterday the oncoming lane was bogged down and backed up. Not horrific, but maybe twice the usual wait to get through. My lane is nice and clear heading the other way and I'm going 40mph. As I get near the end of the backed up line, I catch a flash of black movement between cars and have barely enough time to process that someone from a side street has decided to bolt out between stopped cars and into my lane. No pulling up and peeking out between cars. Just pulled out from a side street without giving a single shit if there were any cars coming.

It took everything I had not to t-bone the guy's pickup and maim his passenger. I hit the brakes so hard the ABS kicked in and I felt sore in my ankle and knee afterwards. Everything in my passenger seat flew forward onto the floor. I didn't lay on the horn until just after I stopped, but he was already on his way ... not a single sign that he even noticed me. No backwards glances or apologetic waves. I was behind him for about half a mile when he took a left and departed the road. I made sure he saw something as I passed on the left with my finger out the window.

It was a moment that made me wish I had a dash cam. I didn't get to see the passenger's face, as I was focused on the brick of metal and avoiding it, but I expect they shit themselves.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Caught an old ep of CSI from 2000 on this morning. My God how young and skinny all the actors were.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And how young and skinny were you twenty years ago?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was 31 and about 190 lbs.

Now 50 and about 196 lbs.

I get down to around 188 for a while then back to 199 and all in between. 2000 was a good year. Y2K wiped out the world and we all started over.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:13 am It was a moment that made me wish I had a dash cam. I didn't get to see the passenger's face, as I was focused on the brick of metal and avoiding it, but I expect they shit themselves.
reddit.com/r/dashcams/

It's almost as if people are the problem.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I ended up backing the VESO 360 from ArVision, we'll see how that works out. Someday.
-mf