Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

KDH

Re: Random randomness

Post by KDH »

Daehawk wrote:I told my dog I was going to lick his nose and I dont think he believed me. Then I licked his nose.
I totally heard that in Forrest Gump's voice
Ain't nobody got time for that
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

GreenGoo wrote:
For KKB, imaging a machine is the process of wiping a computer's OS drive and putting a brand spanking new "image" on it.
My boss calls "imaging" "loading" and it makes my skin crawl every time she says it.

She will say, "That PC needs loaded."

She means, "That PC needs to be imaged." or "That PC needs imaging."

Fuckin' savage...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dunkin Donuts bacon wake up wrap: two slices of something that appears to be pinkish colored cloth (the bacon) and a wax replica of an egg.

That has pretty much put me off breakfast foods today. :handgestures-thumbdown:
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I love Dunkin' Donuts frozen coffees, coolattas, and, well, donuts - but the rest of their food menu has always been a complete disappointment.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Z-Corn wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
For KKB, imaging a machine is the process of wiping a computer's OS drive and putting a brand spanking new "image" on it.
My boss calls "imaging" "loading" and it makes my skin crawl every time she says it.

She will say, "That PC needs loaded."

She means, "That PC needs to be imaged." or "That PC needs imaging."

Fuckin' savage...
Hmm. Back when I worked in desktop engineering, we always called the act of creating the image "imaging" and the act of creating the usable desktop "deploying" or "building". In my brain, your boss is closer to correct than you are. But I've been out of the business for a while now.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Brian

Post by Brian »

gilraen wrote:I love Dunkin' Donuts frozen coffees, coolattas, and, well, donuts - but the rest of their food menu has always been a complete disappointment.
I like their hash browns.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love their coffee, their hash browns and their sausage, egg and cheese on a croissant...but man, those wraps are to be avoided.

In other news, just received this as a birthday present:

He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hentzau wrote: Hmm. Back when I worked in desktop engineering, we always called the act of creating the image "imaging" and the act of creating the usable desktop "deploying" or "building". In my brain, your boss is closer to correct than you are. But I've been out of the business for a while now.
I can't speak for the industry but in my circles the act of creating an image is "creating an image" and the act of using that image to create a new machine is "imaging".

It's not that unusual for industry vernacular to change over time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's not unusual for IT terminology to vary between departments even.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote:I love their coffee, their hash browns and their sausage, egg and cheese on a croissant...but man, those wraps are to be avoided.

Someone posted a youtube link to Mystery Science Theater 3000 version so I watched it.

Once was enough, although I'm glad I watched it.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

GreenGoo wrote:
hentzau wrote: Hmm. Back when I worked in desktop engineering, we always called the act of creating the image "imaging" and the act of creating the usable desktop "deploying" or "building". In my brain, your boss is closer to correct than you are. But I've been out of the business for a while now.
I can't speak for the industry but in my circles the act of creating an image is "creating an image" and the act of using that image to create a new machine is "imaging".

I haven't done desktop engineering for probably 15 years, so terminology probably has drifted.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Oldsmobile Alero tail lights are huge.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:

I use "create image" and "restore image/burn image".
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The key is the term image, and that we all know what it means. Loading is used for too many things to consider it the right term, especially without the word image after it.

Take that computer. Push that computer. Update that computer. Mount that computer... you could assume any number of things or perform the wrong task.

Take an image, push an image, update an image, mount an image ... Now I know what you want.

Savage indeed. :x
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I would guess the manager may have worked on a more data-centric environment, as loading is used much more commonly there.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GreenGoo wrote:
hepcat wrote:I love their coffee, their hash browns and their sausage, egg and cheese on a croissant...but man, those wraps are to be avoided.

Someone posted a youtube link to Mystery Science Theater 3000 version so I watched it.

Once was enough, although I'm glad I watched it.
Theres a Twitch channel that all they do is stream MST3000
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

GreenGoo wrote: For KKB
:wub: My smile is still on my face from your kind reply.
----
I didn't do my quote right.
:think: was suppose to be towards LM's dream. I thought by cutting down his post (quote) my post would work. Fail
And this is why it's better to PM instead of dragging something, pages back, up to the front.
Should have just fallen into a fountain like good ol' security guard Steve. :D
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

However, some pretty good conversation has come from my writing malfunction.

It's been a long time, but HAVE to say it. I absolutely LOVE you guys (and gals). Fun, educational, smart, witty, and down right cute is what you all are!
:coffee:
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Rip

Post by Rip »

Paingod wrote:The key is the term image, and that we all know what it means. Loading is used for too many things to consider it the right term, especially without the word image after it.

Take that computer. Push that computer. Update that computer. Mount that computer... you could assume any number of things or perform the wrong task.

Take an image, push an image, update an image, mount an image ... Now I know what you want.

"mount an image"

Easy there cowboy.

:horse:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Picked up and spun a fidget spinner today. Those things get some serious gyroscopic effects on them. I had zero interests in them before and now I want one.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote:Picked up and spun a fidget spinner today. Those things get some serious gyroscopic effects on them. I had zero interests in them before and now I want one.
Same story here. I thought they were stupid until my daughter got one for her birthday and I got to try it. Now I have several of my own that I've been playing with during conference calls for work. Like you, the gyroscopic effect was what surprised me and won me over.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

wonderpug wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Picked up and spun a fidget spinner today. Those things get some serious gyroscopic effects on them. I had zero interests in them before and now I want one.
Same story here. I thought they were stupid until my daughter got one for her birthday and I got to try it. Now I have several of my own that I've been playing with during conference calls for work. Like you, the gyroscopic effect was what surprised me and won me over.
Now I need to research which ones are good spinners and good quality. Since I cant try what I buy online I need to be sure first. The one I tried was at a CVS store and was kinda heavy but seemed well made. Not sure what prices to expect but that one was $8 and came i na plastic cd like case.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I left here thinking I had hours and hours of research ahead of me and tons and tons of options to choose from. But both are wrong thoughts. Not that huge a selection of styles, colors, or anything really. I would like a nice copper metal one but those seems to not be the long spin ones. In the end Im interested in the spin.....the quality. After just a little looking Im down to 2 right now...I might look at others with a little more digging. Also costs are not nearly as high as I expected. I was thinking $20 average. But it seems almost all are under $10 with one very nice high quality one being $30. Im not paying that though lol.

Heres the two Im looking at with this first one the one Im planning to get....unless research shows better. Im hoping I can replace the bearings when they go bad. I mean without that they would seem to be pretty money wasting useless.

EWR- Original 360 Spinner

$10. - 1-4 Minute Average Spins! ALL NEW R188 Black Spinner Fidget Toy With A Premium R188 Bearing + 3 Black Outer Bearings
UPGRADED: Smooth Concave Caps, New, Top Of The Line R188 Bearing + 3 Black 608RS Outer Bearings
Great Toy For Fidgeters. Flick And Spin For Hours With Just One Or Both Hands
Great For Anxiety, Focusing, ADHD, Autism, Quitting Bad Habits, Staying Awake.
Durable Black ABS Plastic Frame with Rounded Edges + 2 Improved Smooth Caps. Box Included!

Enlarge Image

And next the one I like for the material and color. Its problem is steel bearings and the videos Ive seen show them to be the worst with the best being ceramic hybrid.

UFO SPINNER New Version Fidget Spinner

$4.45 - Fidget spinner: 3-5 minutes average spins. We will send you a free screwdriver and a extra bearing if you purchase this ATESSON spinner.
No big noise: Easy to carry, small, simple, discrete and fun, also effective for focus and deep thought with using this hand spinner
Great bearing: The fidget spinner use Stainless steel bearing, SLA and laser industrial molding technology. Good gravity, fast rotation.
Hold hand spinner in one hand and use the other hand to spin it rapidly using small continuous strikes to keep it spinning indefinitely with practice

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

You put more effort into researching this thing than I did researching my last TV.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I enjoy research. Its relaxing :) Plus I get smarter and learn stuff....always helpful to me :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Find a 10-12 year old and ask them about fidget spinners. You'll know more in 15 minutes than you could possibly imagine. Source: I harbor an 11 year old. You'll soon understand why schools put a ban on them.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Would you ask your's what they consider a good one and how long will a good one spin? Thnx
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I hoped a Spinner would be a distraction from Minecraft YouTube videos. Answer - Now they can pursue TWO obsessions at the same time!!!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: And next the one I like for the material and color. Its problem is steel bearings and the videos Ive seen show them to be the worst with the best being ceramic hybrid.

i admit i just purchased this. i have one that looks *exactly like this that i got from Amazon last month, but the spin time decreased from 3 minutes to 50 seconds over the course of a week and a half. i'll give this one a try, since it comes with a replacement bearing. i'm not going to carry this one in my pocket - see if that makes a difference.

(you can replace the bearings in these cheaper ones, but they're held in with Loc-Tite and it'll take some effort to pop them out.)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote:Would you ask your's what they consider a good one and how long will a good one spin? Thnx
I'm not sure about time, but I think this was the only one that wasn't confiscated by teachers, i.e. gone for good. I can confirm it spins real nice - definitely over two minutes. What's strange is the Amazon reviews are suggesting people are being sent cheap spray-painted plastics. The one in our house is METAL (as Tenacious D would require) and with that weight, it just spins and spins. Don't settle for cheap Chinese knockoffs. Demand higher quality Chinese originals. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote:Would you ask your's what they consider a good one and how long will a good one spin? Thnx
The most common bearing you'll see is the 608 bearing, which is fine. Most 'premium' spinners use the r188 bearing. If long spin times are what you want then you should go for something with the r188 if you can.

How much are you hoping to spend?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

you can also purchase the nicer bearings separately on eBay or Amazon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Less than $10
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I got one of those too, but the one I got came unbalanced. Even trying to align and balance the stuff helped with the spin length. I doubt it spun for a minute. Rated it as basically crap on Amazon. The vendor ended up erasing the entire item. :-P (probably relisted it as a different number)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This thread bolsters my suspicion that the trend is near its peak. By the time people I know glom onto a fad, it's over.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

They are all over Chinatown too. :-P in all sorts of colors and shapes.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Paingod wrote:The key is the term image, and that we all know what it means. Loading is used for too many things to consider it the right term, especially without the word image after it.

THANK.YOU!

I can't believe none of you picked up on her infinitival copula deletion pattern of speech also brands her as a savage.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote:
Less than $10
I'd just find one you like the design of that has an r188 bearing, or at least a 608 bearing. Look for a metal body instead of plastic if possible, and don't worry about having the three bearings on the ends of the arms -- those don't contribute anything to the spinning.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Z-Corn wrote:I can't believe none of you picked up on her infinitival copula deletion pattern of speech also brands her as a savage.
I had to get over that when I moved to the south. It was get over it or go insane.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have dashcam video of the driver in front of me this morning putting his/her Mustang into the side of a box truck. I will do my best to make sure I get it off the chip when I get home this evening.
It's almost as if people are the problem.