Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gilraen

Re: Random randomness

Post by gilraen »

Everything that you described is not a way to lose weight. Lose your kidneys, maybe...but not weight.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Probably the most useful thing I learned back when I was losing weight was to eat until I wasn't hungry instead of eating until I was full. Over time, that can make a huge difference.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive gone from 4 colas a day to 1. The rest I replaced with water. Trying to drink even more but I hate water but it also makes me bloated sickish and gives me heartburn. Sometimes I replace a water with fruit juice or a glass of milk before bed as my last fluid.

Today I had a cola for morning but Im having a rootbeer now because I was craving sweets. My worst cravings are for meats. MUST HAVE THEM sometimes. Craved it all my life though so not any dieting Im trying.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:32 pm Trying to drink even more but I hate water
Is your water bad or something? Water and coffee are all I drink any more. I'd prefer pop, beer, or milk but weight, hangover one beer in, and GI problems, nix all three of them. I'm too finicky about juice to be much of a juice drinker. I also imagine if I drank as a primary beverage, I'd go right back weight concerns.

I hadn't been a big water drinker in years until I cut soda and quit drinking coffee by the afternoon. Now sometimes I drink no water and sometimes I drink two gallons a day.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:32 pm Ive gone from 4 colas a day to 1. The rest I replaced with water. Trying to drink even more but I hate water but it also makes me bloated sickish and gives me heartburn. Sometimes I replace a water with fruit juice or a glass of milk before bed as my last fluid.

Today I had a cola for morning but Im having a rootbeer now because I was craving sweets. My worst cravings are for meats. MUST HAVE THEM sometimes. Craved it all my life though so not any dieting Im trying.
FWIW, your body gets addicted to sugar. If you cut down or cut it out, you'll go nuts for it for a while, but after a few weeks you won't get those crazy cravings anymore. If it's done for financial reasons, try adding a little flavor - a few drops of lemon juice, or keep a jug in the fridge and toss in a couple of mint tea bags. If you're doing it for health reasons (and it is great for that), try out a few flavors of La Croix/Bubly/Aha. They're just water and flavor, no sugar, no sweeteners. They won't taste like pop, but they do have the flavor and fizz that plain water lacks. It's just a matter of finding a flavor that you like.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:57 pm FWIW, your body gets addicted to sugar. If you cut down or cut it out, you'll go nuts for it for a while, but after a few weeks you won't get those crazy cravings anymore.
Change weeks to months for me. And then you let yourself go and get some cookies and a bag of holiday candy and the next thing you know you're right back in the insane cravings bucket. I need to make a few months with minimal sugar and then *not* reward myself. I'm subbing sugar with crackers and chips and other high carb foods right now and then I'll have cut back on those too.

Trying really hard increase beans and rice and not move from sugar to carb packing to meat and cheese. We'll see how it goes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No water problems. I have both well water and bottled. One I like more than others. Ive never drank water except when I was a kid and would come in from running on a hot day Id grab some. Its been a very rare thing all my life to drink it.

I think I tried a Bubly once and hated it because it was carbonated. I hate carbonated water more than normal water :)...but Ill look for flavored water with no carbonation.

Beans. I have tons of beans. I get so burnt out on the food bank items. I stopped going to one completely. Im still catching up on eating bags of beans, pasta, rice, powdered potatoes and such. I took 3 full bags and donated them for Share Your Christmas last year. There was about 8 jars of peanut butter in there too lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another subject. Remember I had a severe flea problem last year? Well its been in the 50s for a week and Ive gotten 2 off my arm and one off my dog already. Supposed to be in the 60s the next few days.

I think Ill buy some spray to hook the hose to and spray the entire frotn and back yards this spring..or earlier. May have to repeat. Good thing we'll get that stimulus. Stuff isn't cheap.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been up 3 hours and have drank half a 17oz bottle of water. Typical.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:43 pm Oh on my starving days I dont scarf food late. Around 5pm I eat one thing...hotdog....or some boiled cauliflower or something and not a lot of it. I go to bed with food on my mind. I cant even play a game because Im thinking of food. Every few days I eat more during one day. Like maybe chilidog around 1pm then a frozen dinner at 6pm and right before bed maybe a can of potted meat. Then Im back to going with little for a few days.

Im trying to keep the carbs blow 150 a day and cals down below 500. I dont worry about fat in what I eat. I still dont lose weight eating like that. I need to get my carbs to zero or under 25. About impossible. Especially because I am on EBT and free food. I have to eat crap with a few fresh veggie items scattered in and about.
Calories below 500 a day? I'm gonna go eat more than that for lunch right now.
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

500 calories?? Jeebus, are you trying to get back to your birth weight? That doesn't sound healthy at all. :shock:
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Maybe not, but it's a great way to believe you're dieting for a couple of days before you accidentally binge on 3000 calories a day while your body demands you compensate for starving.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
telcta

Post by telcta »

The Aldi’s that I shop shares a parking area with Chick-fil-A. The parking lot is not very large and the drive thru for Chick-fil-A gets extremely long making it difficult to get out when I’m done shopping. I thought the excitement of a new restaurant would dissolve after a few months but it’s been over a year and is just as busy as the day it opened.

I’m tempted to try their food but what is it with Chick-fil-A that makes it so popular? What would be a good meal to try for a first timer?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

#1 meal

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Our CfL opened years and years ago and it was a normal place. We'd go in the drive thru or eat inside....sometimes even parking in the spots that could get blocked by the drive thru. But for about 5 years now that place is PACKED every day all day. No point in trying to go. The slots are all full and the drive thru is back all the way around. They actually had to close a couple years ago and redesign it and the spots that would get blocked at gone and they added a 2 lane drive thru...on the same size lot...no help at all.

They built one in the next little town over and its as packed as ours. I wish they'd open a few more here to help. I dont even bother going..haven't been in years.

Im not a fan of their regular sandwich. Its ok but nothing special. The chargrilled..or what they call grilled...is amazing. Especially if you get it on the original regular white bun and not that wheat pos they give it to you on. Plus fries and both grilled and normal nuggets..mm.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:42 pm Maybe not, but it's a great way to believe you're dieting for a couple of days before you accidentally binge on 3000 calories a day while your body demands you compensate for starving.
When I am dieting I can do 500 calories or less for a day or two. When I am not dieting, ironically I can not eat for a day and not pay attention. When I am watching my calories I try not to go under 1200 calories a day. I've bought in to the people who tell me starvation mode will make bad metabolism worse. Most days I try not to exceed 1800 and shoot for 1500 to 1800. I allow occasion splurges that would hit that 3000 calorie mark. It works (worked) for me but I could never make calorie watching a lifestyle. I've managed 9+ months of obsession but even then within a month after I stop obsessing, I'm giving in my bodies desire pack it all back on. Stay at home had seen me drop from 260 to 220 but by late summer my shopping trips went up and so did my body's desire and back to 260 I went. Since I hit my highwater mark again, I've been trying to treat every day as if it were April of last year with the addition of cheese because I really want my cheese. I'm back down to 230 without obsessing but also without the foods that best sate my hunger/cravings. Rice, eggs, beans.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:28 pmIm not a fan of their regular sandwich. Its ok but nothing special. The chargrilled..or what they call grilled...is amazing. Especially if you get it on the original regular white bun and not that wheat pos they give it to you on. Plus fries and both grilled and normal nuggets..mm.
I'm assuming the image Isg posted is the regular chicken sandwich. I was surprised how blah it looked so I guess there's something really tasty about it. I may have to look into this chargrilled one you're talking about. And you can't go wrong with nuggets.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Correct. It's a simple thing (usually) done well.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

telcta wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:42 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:28 pmIm not a fan of their regular sandwich. Its ok but nothing special. The chargrilled..or what they call grilled...is amazing. Especially if you get it on the original regular white bun and not that wheat pos they give it to you on. Plus fries and both grilled and normal nuggets..mm.
I'm assuming the image Isg posted is the regular chicken sandwich. I was surprised how blah it looked so I guess there's something really tasty about it. I may have to look into this chargrilled one you're talking about. And you can't go wrong with nuggets.
The #1 is literally just a fried (they say "pressure cooked in peanut oil") chicken breast with pickles on a toasted, buttered bun. Nothing fancy about it at all, but it's tasty.

Also, the grilled chicken is good, but a) it's not as good as the fried (YMMV), and b) the multigrain bun is much better than what Daehawk says it is.
Hodor.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Good info, thanks. I think I'll go for the #1... those waffle fries look good. Now, to find a good day and time to grab it. It's been years since I've had any fast food.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fun fact. In the early 90s..maybe all the 90s...the Grilled Chicken Sandwich was called the Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich. It was also just a patty on a bun with pickle. If you wanted lettuce and tomatoe you ordered the Chargrilled Chicken Deluxe and your tomato and lettuce came in a Styrofoam cup on the side.

This is the grilled chicken. I like to add mayo and sometimes that sweet honey based sauce they give you with it.
Enlarge Image

This is the chicken club.
Enlarge Image

And right now for a limited time they have a spicy chicken deluxe...never had it..its new.
Enlarge Image
stessier

Post by stessier »

telcta wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:25 pm Good info, thanks. I think I'll go for the #1... those waffle fries look good. Now, to find a good day and time to grab it. It's been years since I've had any fast food.
Note that the chicken sandwiches brine the chicken in pickle juice to give it a unique flavor. I can't stand it.

The breaded nuggets, however, forgo that flavor and are fantastic. I don't know about the grilled nuggets.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
telcta

Post by telcta »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:47 pm
telcta wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:25 pm Good info, thanks. I think I'll go for the #1... those waffle fries look good. Now, to find a good day and time to grab it. It's been years since I've had any fast food.
Note that the chicken sandwiches brine the chicken in pickle juice to give it a unique flavor. I can't stand it.
Dill? I could handle that but I don't know if I could do sweet or bread/butter pickles.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Probably
with dill pickle chips
Would be odd if it was different brine.
stessier

Post by stessier »

telcta wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:51 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:47 pm
Dill? I could handle that but I don't know if I could do sweet or bread/butter pickles.
Someone else will have to answer - I just taste "pickle" and dislike it. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Im trying to keep the carbs blow 150 a day and cals down below 500. I dont worry about fat in what I eat. I still dont lose weight eating like that. I need to get my carbs to zero or under 25. About impossible. Especially because I am on EBT and free food. I have to eat crap with a few fresh veggie items scattered in and about.
Good lord. That isn't dieting, that's suicide. First, you won't lose any weight because your body will think you're starving and quit feeding you energy to conserve your fat supply. IE - you won't get skinnier, just more tired. Second, when you do start losing weight it will be your body reabsorbing your muscles. You'll end up with severe malnutrition, and then you'll change something or you'll die.

When I was trying to lose weight - really lose weight - my most extreme reduction was 1600/day, three times what you're eating. And at the time I was tracking my nutrients very, very carefully to make sure I got enough of everything (including healthy fats), and my doctor was still very cautious about how little I was eating (and I don't have any food-related health issues other than being fat.)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:58 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Good lord. That isn't dieting, that's suicide. First, you won't lose any weight because your body will think you're starving and quit feeding you energy to conserve your fat supply. IE - you won't get skinnier, just more tired. Second, when you do start losing weight it will be your body reabsorbing your muscles. You'll end up with severe malnutrition, and then you'll change something or you'll die.

When I was trying to lose weight - really lose weight - my most extreme reduction was 1600/day, three times what you're eating. And at the time I was tracking my nutrients very, very carefully to make sure I got enough of everything (including healthy fats), and my doctor was still very cautious about how little I was eating (and I don't have any food-related health issues other than being fat.)
Indeed, starving yourself is a surefire recipe for failure and malnutrition.

With any diet, you have to ask yourself first and foremost: How long can I realistically eat this way? Because no matter how good a diet may look -- or how good it might potentially make you look -- if you are unable to stick with it for the long run, you'll be right back where you started if you cannot commit to permanently altering your eating habits for the better.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The general rule is that men should not go below 1200 daily calories unless a doctor says otherwise and has a plan to help monitor things.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I don't know about the grilled nuggets.
They melt in your mouth and look like sirloin tip steak bites. Strangely they also taste like steak so I dip them in A1 sauce.
Holman

Post by Holman »

What is going on this thread now?

Starvation diets followed by Chick-fil-A porn pics??

Is this Hell???
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont see Trump posting so it cant be.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Got an electric kettle for Christmas and it's one of our frequently used kitchen gadgets now. I had used the microwave to heat water for my tea or oatmeal, always took to long on the stove (electric). I had read about electric kettles not being too popular in the US and mostly used by europeans. Well, I'm a convert... the speed that it heats water to a rolling boil is amazing and from the little digging around I did, it's the most efficient method of boiling water vs. microwave and stovetop.

For $30 I got a simple Mueller kettle that automatically shuts off after it gets to a boil and is easily removed from the base. Mueller Premium 1500W Electric Kettle
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Yep! Super in love with this kettle! Wanted to add:
There is a cool blue light when turned on
The water reaches that rolling boil and could be used for disinfecting things
Tempered insulated glass to hold heat
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My wife uses her electric kettle daily to make tea. I got her a fancy one that has different temperature settings for different types of teas.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well time for a new pair of tennis shoes. Mine are at least 10 years old. They have been slick on the bottom and paper thin a few years now. But I found a hole in them just now. knew it was a matter of time. Me and my wife found these at Walmart around 2010. They had a couple tables of shoes right in front as you went in on big sale. We paid I think $8 for them and they have been the most comfortable pair of sneakers Ive had in my entire life. Ive always mowed in them. basically thats all I did in them and all I got them for. Sometimes Id wear them around in the house as they were as comfortable as a pair of house shoes.

Ive never known the brand but looking close I could make out part of a logo on the tongue of it and found online they appear to be Starter brand. Capital S with a outline of a star attached to it on the right. These were grey'ish white with neon orange / pink souls and mesh tops made into them. Air blows through them.

I can only hope to find something like them these days. Im sure I cant and will be disappointed in whatever I buy.

Sorta this'ish but different colors

EDIT: I recall they were running shoes for the type. I remember thinking "Running shoes?? To mow in? But yeah ok they are cheap" ..bout it :)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

telcta wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:15 pm I had used the microwave to heat water for my tea
aka the heathen method

(my mom insists on doing it this way. i have three electric kettles)
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:43 pm I remember thinking "Running shoes?? To mow in? But yeah ok they are cheap" ..bout it :)
when i was growing up, the 'mowing shoes' were always the old sneakers/tennis/basketball shoes that were too trashed to wear in public. i moved away from wearing basketball shoes (Reebok hi-top classics) and athletic shoes in general years ago because they're poorly made and are worn out after about eight months of use. the walking shoes only get worn for exercise walks and that's it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

68 degrees right now at 4pm. Musta been 69 today. Was 60 last night. What a day.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:31 pm My wife uses her electric kettle daily to make tea. I got her a fancy one that has different temperature settings for different types of teas.
I was given this one about four years ago as a gift, and it is easily my most used appliance. Especially since I'm a tea snob and recognize the importance of having the right temperature for the right tea (such as not boiling green tea.) Unfortunately, where I live has such hard water that I have to use distilled for tea and in any appliance I don't want destroyed. (Slightly hard water is 17ppm, hard water is 120-180, and very hard is anything above 180. Ours is 349.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Water: now with Crunchberries!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:01 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:31 pm My wife uses her electric kettle daily to make tea. I got her a fancy one that has different temperature settings for different types of teas.
I was given this one about four years ago as a gift, and it is easily my most used appliance. Especially since I'm a tea snob and recognize the importance of having the right temperature for the right tea (such as not boiling green tea.) Unfortunately, where I live has such hard water that I have to use distilled for tea and in any appliance I don't want destroyed. (Slightly hard water is 17ppm, hard water is 120-180, and very hard is anything above 180. Ours is 349.)
That's the same one I got her!
That's my purse! I don't know you!