Breaking Bad is Good

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Breaking Bad is Good

Post by McNutt »

Breaking Bad is one of the best shows on TV and Brian Cranston is incredible (I never realized he was Tim Whatley in Seinfeld). The show has impressed me by evolving Walt from a good-hearted chemist trying to provide for his family to a ruthless drug kingpin. We're seeing Walt slowly drift towards the dark side and I can see him killing somebody (not out of self defense this time) this season or the next. He has changed and that change is keeping the show exciting.
Smoove_B

Re: Breaking Bad is Good

Post by Smoove_B »

It sure is. We're about a month behind on the show, but thank the FSM for TiVo. We really enjoyed the first season and have enjoyed what we've seen so far. It's a very tense show - I honestly have no idea where it's going but watching it all unfold makes me uncomfortable. I didn't realize just how good of an actor Brian Cranston is. He's definitely not the bumbling Dad on Malcolm in the Middle for us anymore. He's freakin' hardcore.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rip

Post by Rip »

I have to agree. The whole deal about giving him to bottle back had me on the edge. Then you throw in the advice to the guy picking up cooking supplies followed by confronting the leader in the parking lot and making sure he knew this was Cranston's territory was brilliant. I love seeing this chemistry teacher bone up and make the bullies and drug kingpins turn tail and run when they read his mental state. It has become obvious he is not to be f**cked with.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

And the "doing if for the family" excuse gets thinner and thinner.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also find this to be one of the best written and best acted shows on television (right behind Mad Men, IMHO). Last night's episode was amazing. However, I don't see it as Cranston developing a backbone or standing up for himself, but rather Cranston becoming his worst fear. This isn't a positive change for him. Rather, he's turning into something he doesn't want to be. It's a tragic story arc that will either play out badly or with redemption at the end.
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:I also find this to be one of the best written and best acted shows on television (right behind Mad Men, IMHO). Last night's episode was amazing. However, I don't see it as Cranston developing a backbone or standing up for himself, but rather Cranston becoming his worst fear. This isn't a positive change for him. Rather, he's turning into something he doesn't want to be. It's a tragic story arc that will either play out badly or with redemption at the end.
It isn't what he wants to be but he is so smart and is becoming so streetwise that he knows it is what he must do. If he wants to survive...well for a little while anyway.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

This is definitely on my list of shows I need to get around to watching on DVD, as is Mad Men.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:
hepcat wrote:I also find this to be one of the best written and best acted shows on television (right behind Mad Men, IMHO). Last night's episode was amazing. However, I don't see it as Cranston developing a backbone or standing up for himself, but rather Cranston becoming his worst fear. This isn't a positive change for him. Rather, he's turning into something he doesn't want to be. It's a tragic story arc that will either play out badly or with redemption at the end.
It isn't what he wants to be but he is so smart and is becoming so streetwise that he knows it is what he must do. If he wants to survive...well for a little while anyway.
I'm not so sure. That may explain his actions on the street, but his aggressiveness with friends and family this season is becoming more frequent. There's no reason for him to assert himself domestically, so I believe he's changing against his will. It's a Jekyll and Hyde situation that he's going to have to acknowledge and confront eventually.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I agree, Hep. He knows he's been a pushover his entire life and is sick of seeing his son not want to use his name and looking up to his brother in law. Walt has created an alter ego and it's beginning to take over.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Yea, I never thought about that. I know I love how he is playing the edge. Brilliant acting. I had serious doubts about Malcom's dad being able to shake that role and do this one well. If he doesn't win a shelf full of awards then they don't really mean anything.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They've already picked up a few awards along the way:
Breaking Bad has received critical acclaim in addition to two Emmy Awards for its first season. It won the award for best editing, and Bryan Cranston won for best actor in a drama series.
He won. Period.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

I skipped all of the comments in this thread for fear of spoilers. I just wanted to say that I'm only two episodes into the first season and I agree completely: this show is good.
Famine and death and pestilence and war-
I'm pretty sure I heard this one before
Rip

Post by Rip »

So how long will it be before he kills the wife's boss? :twisted:
pengo

Post by pengo »

i loved the music video at the start of one of the episodes...

also whats up with the stuff at the start of some episodes that makes no sense to the episode, seems like a peek into the events of somewhere in the future.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pengo wrote:i loved the music video at the start of one of the episodes...

also whats up with the stuff at the start of some episodes that makes no sense to the episode, seems like a peek into the events of somewhere in the future.
I read an article a while back on Mexican Narcocorridos music. It's a fascinating subject, albeit a rather deplorable one. It's traditional Mexican folk music with lyrics that usually glorify the drug trade and the criminals behind it. Sometimes they'll even send messages to drug lords via the songs.

And yeah, I believe the intro stuff to every episode is meant as foreshadowing of things to come. Although sometimes the scenes reflect the aftermath of previous episode's escapades.
He won. Period.
stevemn

Post by stevemn »

This is the only TV show that I actually watch. As a college chemistry teacher, the science is pretty much true to life.

The awesome music video/song is Negro and Azul by Los Cuates de Sinaloa. DLded the song from itunes.
Mookee

Bring on the finale!

Post by Mookee »

This show is fucking incredible - easily the best thing on TV right now.

Bryan Cranston should be showered with roses.
WAW

Post by WAW »

Not just Cranston, Aaron Paul just nails Jesse . I thought at first Breaking Bad was about Walter White's bad luck. Now I see it's about him becoming an evil evil man.
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I was going to mention that Aaron Paul is fantastic as Jesse in this show. This season has really seen him grow into his role. At first I couldn't stand the character or the actor. But Paul has taken him from a poorly written caricature of the rich suburban kid who wants to be a gangsta to 3 dimensional character I feel sorry for at times.

Oh, and Sunday night's ending? whoa...that was some emmy level emotin' on Cranston's part.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Wow, I just finished Sunday's episode and it blew me away.
Spoiler:
When the drug guy asks you (after giving you money) how he knows you won't turn on him, "You don't" is the wrong answer. The transformation from good guy to total bad guy has been believably slow, but with him basically killing that girl he's pretty much a bad dude now. I will miss seeing John De Lancie on the show though.
rabies66

Post by rabies66 »

The ending this week literally had me on the edge of my seat. Can't wait to see the fallout from this week's episode and how they wrap it up for the season.
Spoiler:
Delancie may not be gone just yet. There's gonna be a reckoning for his daughter's death somehow. That may precipitate the two body bags situation. I was sure jane was going to be in one of those bags, too...
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Spoiler:
You might be right. What's going to happen when De Lancie connects Walt to Jesse? That could force Walt to do something he hasn't had to do yet, kill a regular person. How far is he willing to go?
rabies66

Post by rabies66 »

Yep. There are so many situations in the show that seem to be coming to a head all at once, that I have absolutely no idea how it will end this season. And even if I thought I did, they've consistently shown themselves to be unpredictable.
Spoiler:
The foreshadowing of the pool scene throughout the season has been a masterful way to ratchet up the feeling of dread.
The cast has all been fantastic, and Cranston is absolutely amazing. I watched one of the early episodes from last season last night with my wife, and his character is almost unrecognizable from what he is now.

Best show ever.
pengo

Post by pengo »

wow.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spoiler:
GAH! i still wanna know who the people in the body bags are! I'm guessing we'll find out next season. :cry:
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

hepcat wrote:
Spoiler:
GAH! i still wanna know who the people in the body bags are! I'm guessing we'll find out next season. :cry:
Spoiler:
I'm guessing it's a couple of bodies that fell from the planes.
Next season should see Walt become a REALLY bad person. His wife is kicking him out, so he's going to be able to put more energy into cooking. It's also going to come out that the planes crashed because of an air traffic controller who was distracted over his daughters OD. Walt will see this and realize a ton of people died indirectly through his action. This all adds up to Walt totally changing. Just imagine how much meth he can cook if he gets the chicken-shop owner to steal his chemicals for him. He'll flood the area with more pure meth than ever before and he'll get caught up in the money and trying to make things right at home.

This was a fantastic season.
pengo

Post by pengo »

Spoiler:
don't know about the chicken shop owner doing right by walt now that he knows who he really is and who is brother is....
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The whole season was top-notch. Absolutely tremendous. It's amazing to me how many people have just never even heard of the show at all. I feel like the season finale was missing something...I didn't feel as though it had the punch I was looking for. Maybe it was because it ended with the focus on another character and how his relation to the other two was part of the bigger story.

And yeah, there are definitely some nuggets for next season. I think that pengo is absolutely right -- there's no way that guy is going to be happy with what he now knows. He was hesitant to go into business in the first place.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It will be a tough call. On one hand Walt is tied to the cops, so you'd think he must die. On the other hand he's providing the best product this guy has ever seen. Oh the dilemma!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season 3 starts tonight.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

DVR ready and couch cushions fluffed.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'll take a look. Thanks for the heads up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good lord, the mexican brothers that are after Walter are freakin' great. They should have their own horror film franchise...

So far, so good this season. I'm diggin' the chaos in his household.

And more of the restaurant franchise owner/drug kingpin can NEVER be a bad thing. That guy needs an emmy for his work.
He won. Period.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I loved the opening scene for the season with them crawling into the evil shrine to get protection or supernatural help to kill Walt. They haven't spoken a word and they are still terrifying!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I just watched this series over the last four days (DVDs of S1 and S2 showed up on Thursday, I had been recording S3 eps on my DVR and had to watch them in AMC low-def). Fantastic stuff. The acting is top-notch, the writing is even better, the subject is fascinating, and the snippets of humor are that much more enjoyable because of how dryly they are doled out. If you enjoy subtleties in your drama, this is the show for you.

It helps, of course, because of some of the parallels between the show and things going on in life (no, I'm not cooking meth or otherwise involved in illegal activities — just going through some of the same crossroads/frustrations as Walter).

I didn't watch all the DVD special features, but one of them talked about how TV is becoming The Medium for dramas and character-based media while theaters are becoming the venues for action-packed thrillers and how 3D is the logical extension for what the theatre experience provides vs. the slow-roll out of characters you want to come back to week after week that TV provides. Was an interesting conversation.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be busy loaning out my DVDs in the next few weeks while trying to get local friends on board with the show. It helps that a buddy of mine from that last dozen years is a dead-ringer for Jesse.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's my humble opinion that Gus is one scary son of a bitch. I'm also of the feeling that he's much more dangerous than the two dimensional drug lords on 90 percent of all television shows.

...and I still want the mexican cousins to get their own horror film franchise.
He won. Period.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

*That* was a fun episode. Really enjoyed the first half of it, especially.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
pengo

Post by pengo »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

tonight's episode