Interesting Pandora Stations

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

noxiousdog

Interesting Pandora Stations

Post by noxiousdog »

I have been reading a bit about the history of music and came across this Classical: Renaissance station. It's defined with a set of artists from the time period with some vetoes.

It's a very open ended question, but do ya'll have some other pandora stations that you've thought are really good representatives from a partitular (even narrow) genre?

My only very custom one is a Fast Symphonic Metal (Within Temptation, Nightwish, Sirenia, Evanescence, Passionworks, The Birthday Massacre) which gets all growling and some speed metal thumbed down.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Hispanicgamer

Re: Interesting Pandora Stations

Post by Hispanicgamer »

I listen to Trance or Techno on Pandora when I'm entering data on the computer at work.
Now Playing:
MoH, Amnesia, Self
"Work to Live, Live to Play"
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

2 questions:

1. Is pandora available in Canada? (thought I had read it wasn't).
2. do they have happy hardcore and dubstep music?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

tjg_marantz wrote:2 questions:

Go to http://www.pandora.com" target="_blank and see. It's free. Use a throwaway email account if you don't want spam.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

noxiousdog wrote:
My only very custom one is a Fast Symphonic Metal (Within Temptation, Nightwish, Sirenia, Evanescence, Passionworks, The Birthday Massacre) which gets all growling and some speed metal thumbed down.
Evanescence is fast? :shock:

If you're looking for more symphonic metal, and are willing to break way from female lead singers, add Rhapsody of Fire and Dark Moor to that channel.
Hodor.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

tjg_marantz wrote:2 questions:

Nope, not open to Canadians. You could use an app to spoof the IP I suppose.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

pr0ner wrote: Evanescence is fast? :shock:
Some is some isn't. Lemme put it this way. 120 bps is way too fast for me to play piano ;)
If you're looking for more symphonic metal, and are willing to break way from female lead singers, add Rhapsody of Fire and Dark Moor to that channel.
I'm always looking for new music, and as I come across groups that fit I add them. But I'm more looking for ideas for completely new genres. That Renassaince channel was excellent I'm sure people have put together some similar stuff.
Black Lives Matter

silverjon

Post by silverjon »

tjg_marantz wrote:1. Is pandora available in Canada? (thought I had read it wasn't).
Used to be, but isn't anymore.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Damn you Pandora. Thanks guys.

I'll have to dig a little more for my dubstep happy hardcore fix :D
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

You might want to check http://www.lastfm.com they may be available in Canada
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Jaymon wrote:You might want to check http://www.lastfm.com they may be available in Canada
last.fm is great, but the full streaming tracks available to Canadians are a lot more limited than what Americans can play. That's based on a free account, not a subscriber.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

pr0ner wrote: If you're looking for more symphonic metal, and are willing to break way from female lead singers, add Rhapsody of Fire and Dark Moor to that channel.
Dark Moor's Vivaldi's Winter just came across my channel :) It would have earned a thumbs up except for the 60+ seconds of dead spot in the middle.

I thought of another good example for a genre station though. A Classical Pianist station based on Liszt, Rachmaninoff, and Chopin.
Black Lives Matter

Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

pr0ner wrote:If you're looking for more symphonic metal, and are willing to break way from female lead singers, add Rhapsody of Fire and Dark Moor to that channel.
What I love about Dark Moor is that their original, female singer left, and they replaced her with a man who sounds exactly the same.

[edit] - Sonata Arctica is really fantastic, too.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Fretmute wrote:
pr0ner wrote:If you're looking for more symphonic metal, and are willing to break way from female lead singers, add Rhapsody of Fire and Dark Moor to that channel.
What I love about Dark Moor is that their original, female singer left, and they replaced her with a man who sounds exactly the same.

[edit] - Sonata Arctica is really fantastic, too.
Ahaha. That's too true about Dark Moor.

Sonata Arctica is fantastic as well, but as they slide away from the speedy power metal into more progressive metal, I'm not liking it quite as much. I'm not sure I'd put them in the symphonic metal class, though.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blog
Today [March 19], we’re introducing Pandora Modes, a new feature allowing both free and premium users across all tiers of service to customize their listening experience on their favorite Pandora stations for how they want to listen now. Pandora Modes will initially be available to a limited number of users as we ramp up to full availability for our millions of listeners over the coming weeks.

This latest innovation for our listeners offers a set of selectable “modes” that give you more control over the kinds of songs that are played on your Pandora stations. Think of it as “leaning in” just a bit from the “lean back” Pandora station listening experience you know and love.

Pandora’s classic radio experience will remain the default way that songs are played on stations, but refining that experience to your preference at any given moment is now just a click away with selectable modes within your stations like “Crowd Faves” (hear songs within your station that are most thumbed-up by other listeners), “Discovery” (hear more songs by artists who don’t usually play on this station) or “Artist Only” (hear songs only by the station artist).
The Pandora Modes launching today are:
  1. My Station: The classic Pandora station experience you know and love.
  2. Crowd Faves: You’ll hear the most thumbed-up songs by other listeners within that station.
  3. Deep Cuts: You’ll go deeper into the catalog of that station artist/genre.
  4. Discovery: You’ll hear more artists who don’t usually play on that station.
  5. Newly Released: You’ll hear the newest releases from that station artist/genre.
  6. Artist Only: You’ll hear only songs by that station artist.
You’ll start out in the original “My Station” mode, but once you select a new mode you’ll jump right into a new track and stay in that mode until you either select another mode or your listening sessions ends. Pandora Modes are currently available on the web, and will be available on Pandora’s mobile app in the coming months.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Discovery and Deep Cuts sound interesting, but my car does slacker so I do slacker. Pandora is only used when it's just me and my phone. Work pushes Spotify... so basically I have no musical consistency at all.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I would be interested in Deep Cuts.

So...my musical tastes over the past 10 years have taken a pretty wild left turn into swing/jazz/big band music from the 40's. I use Pandora for most of it. My biggest complaint is that it's not a very deep playlist...there are certain things that I am pretty much going to hear every time I listen to the station. If I could get more music from my stations, that would be great!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:26 pm Blog
Today [March 19], we’re introducing Pandora Modes, a new feature allowing both free and premium users across all tiers of service to customize their listening experience on their favorite Pandora stations for how they want to listen now. Pandora Modes will initially be available to a limited number of users as we ramp up to full availability for our millions of listeners over the coming weeks.
Now available on the iPhone app. I imagine that Android is probably available as well.

I'm not seeing Newly Released on the app options, and given that Tool just dropped a new album, it's definitely not an artist/channel issue.
It's almost as if people are the problem.