United Breaks Guitars (and now, faces!)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: United Breaks Guitars (and now, faces!)

Post by Daehawk »

Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

How the hell are all these crazy people rich enough to afford flights? :?
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

McNutt wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote: A year from now, if someone does an Orbitz search and the United option comes up $30 cheaper than the next one, I'm guessing they're clicking on United.
Most protests end when the price is significantly cheaper.
Key word being "significantly". In the past couple of years, I'd search for a flight, and Southwest would be exactly $25 more than United...except I know I need to check a bag, so in the end, the price is identical. Now the prices are even harder to judge, considering that United introduced their "basic economy", where you can't bring a carry-on bag (other than a purse or laptop, or a similar "personal item"). If you normally fly with a carry-on and 1 checked bag, suddenly that's 2 checked bags - that's $60. There's a saying in Russian, that roughly translates to "the cheapskate pays twice". Sure, there will be plenty of stupid people that will see the United ticket as "cheaper", but depending on what you need to bring, you won't be saving any money.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

gilraen wrote:
McNutt wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote: A year from now, if someone does an Orbitz search and the United option comes up $30 cheaper than the next one, I'm guessing they're clicking on United.
Most protests end when the price is significantly cheaper.
Key word being "significantly". In the past couple of years, I'd search for a flight, and Southwest would be exactly $25 more than United...except I know I need to check a bag, so in the end, the price is identical. Now the prices are even harder to judge, considering that United introduced their "basic economy", where you can't bring a carry-on bag (other than a purse or laptop, or a similar "personal item"). If you normally fly with a carry-on and 1 checked bag, suddenly that's 2 checked bags - that's $60. There's a saying in Russian, that roughly translates to "the cheapskate pays twice". Sure, there will be plenty of stupid people that will see the United ticket as "cheaper", but depending on what you need to bring, you won't be saving any money.
That's just typical airline pricing BS, though, and doesn't speak to whether there will be a material lasting effect from this incident.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote:
em2nought wrote:The guy is 69, I wonder if maybe he's in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's with sundowning? Would explain why he was so non-compliant.
Or, you know, he might just have felt the airline was in the wrong and was standing his ground.
I suppose he could be related to this guy. Dao loosely translating as balls of steel maybe.
Stop funding for NPR
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

em2nought wrote:
hepcat wrote:
em2nought wrote:The guy is 69, I wonder if maybe he's in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's with sundowning? Would explain why he was so non-compliant.
Or, you know, he might just have felt the airline was in the wrong and was standing his ground.
I suppose he could be related to this guy. Dao loosely translating as balls of steel maybe.
I think it might be more along the lines of "I'm a doctor, I don't have to put up with this crap"

Articles seem to indicate that he was insisting that he needed to get back to work and see his patients. Patients can be rescheduled or visit with other doctors. Attitudes, not so much.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:How the hell are all these crazy people rich enough to afford flights? :?
Have you been hibernating?

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Must buy cheese puffs.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The victim smearing has begun.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote:The victim smearing has begun.
Just imagine if he had a MAGA tee-shirt or hat on.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Being a foreigner is bad enough.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

A red capped, MAGA shirt wearing, Christian doctor who was carrying a flag proclaiming his love of Christmas.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur wrote:The victim smearing has begun.
Crucified man had prior run-in with authorities

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/co ... 61aea101ee

Enlarge Image
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:Image
What movie is that again?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Old School.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

just wanted to give an update in case anyone was concerned that I was beaten and left on the side of the tarmac...
Made it to Orlando with no issues on United.. In fact I was surprised when they had a decent selection of recent movies available for free... ALL previous flights I've been on have either had the forced "whatever we decided to show" option or decent selections, but you had to pay for them..

However, I get to fly back to Jersey next week so there is still time for me to become a YouTube Star...

On a side, derailing note... My drop rapidly spiraled down from there...
I get off the plane and find out where I am supposed to go for my Rental car shuttle.. A few shuttles come and go in the spot so I ask a driver to confirm if I am in the Right spot for "Economy Rentals" He says yes, but the huttle is called Green Motion. OK, no biggie... it eventually shows up and we get to the rental place and realize that the rental place is Green Motion... I ask about Economy and find out that they went out of business about 2 weeks ago.. :shock: This company is honoring their reservations somewhat, but did not buy out or absorb them... and they have a different policy regarding rentals. I brought my own insurance declaration page and in order to use them, I need to leave a deposit of $500 (The other company did not have this..) It's either that or I buy their insurance and leave $150 deposit... Needless to say I was very upset, but at this point it's already very late and it's an off airport rental service. I ended up buying their insurance since it only cost me $300 (including the deposit) instead of $500 and I didn't have the $500 available...
Then I get to the hotel and it seems that they did not actually reserve the room I paid for... I paid for a kids suite since I have 3 more people coming down and needed the extra beds. They had reserved us for a room with 2 queen beds instead.. and... there is no manger on duty at night.. and.. I was not the only one who had reserved the kids suite and didn't get it..
It was late and we were tired so we took what they had and get everything sorted out the next day. no charge for Monday nights room either. BLAH..
Anyway, tomorrow starts Star Wars Celebration so hopefully that will cheer me up..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

You're going to Celebration? We expect a detailed AAR!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Those armrests are hard plastic.

All I know is that if I had this kind of high publicity easy to win case against a multi-billion dollar company I would force my lawyers to take a smaller cut. No way I'm giving away 33% or 40%.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:Old School.
Stiffler threw me off (kind of like United, ba dump bump bump!)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

United now using scorpians against unruly passengers.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Saigon singer circa 1975.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Moliere wrote:
Those armrests are hard plastic.

All I know is that if I had this kind of high publicity easy to win case against a multi-billion dollar company I would force my lawyers to take a smaller cut. No way I'm giving away 33% or 40%.
The settlement he is likely to get you probably wouldn't notice splitting it 50/50 with your lawyer. You'd be to busy building a Scrooge McDuck swimming pool.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zarathud

United Breaks Guitars (and now, faces!)

Post by Zarathud »

Corboy & Demetrio is a great, high profile plaintiffs injury firm. They're worth the percentage.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Father flying on United with his young daughter. He must be a sex trafficker!
Long story short: A dad returning from Mexico with his 3-year-old daughter who has lighter skin than his is suspected of sex trafficking her. (And not to pile on, but it was a United flight.) Despite papa having her passport, his passport, AND a notarized letter from the mom saying that she gave them her permission to travel, the authorities felt compelled to act upon a “tip” — a tip that was nothing more than a passenger’s hunch fueled by the hysteria of the moment: That 3-year-olds are being trafficked right and left in the USA.
Thanks United. The gift that keeps on giving. :pop:
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just following up.. Safe back in Jersey with no incidents. I did get a nice bonus for me and was able to get moved to the emergency door section, so I had extra room on this leg of the trip. Downside was that unlike the Newark to Orlando flight, this one did not offer free movies so it was a good thing that I brought a magazine and some books.
Guess my YouTube fame and fortune will have to wait.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
tgb

Post by tgb »

In other news, United announced today that it plans to improve meal service on it's flights by serving Lapin A La Cocotte along with other classical French fare.

"We are tewibly saddened by this howwable twagedy", said United spokesman Eric-Louis "Elmer" Fudderson. "We awayse twy to be vewwy wespectful of all of our passengers, even the fuwwy ones. I know that on this pawticuar fwight, the crew went out of their way to be vewwy vewwy quiet".
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

That's some bullshit. That was a fine looking rabbit. Fuck United.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

tgb wrote:In other news, United announced today that it plans to improve meal service on it's flights by serving Lapin A La Cocotte along with other classical French fare.

"We are tewibly saddened by this howwable twagedy", said United spokesman Eric-Louis "Elmer" Fudderson. "We awayse twy to be vewwy wespectful of all of our passengers, even the fuwwy ones. I know that on this pawticuar fwight, the crew went out of their way to be vewwy vewwy quiet".
I just had that very dish for the first time last week, it was delicious. I'd be very happy to be served Wabbit next year on United if I'm not dragged off the flight. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Changes to Improve Customer Experience
Limit use of law enforcement to safety and security issues only.
Not require customers seated on the plane to give up their seat involuntarily unless safety or security is at risk.
Increase customer compensation incentives for voluntary denied boarding up to $10,000.
Establish a customer solutions team to provide agents with creative solutions such as using nearby airports, other airlines or ground transportations to get customers to their final destination.
Ensure crews are booked onto a flight at least 60 minutes prior to departure.
Provide employees with additional annual training.
Create an automated system for soliciting volunteers to change travel plans.
Reduce the amount of overbooking.
Empower employees to resolve customer service issues in the moment.
Eliminate the red tape on permanently lost bags by adopting a "no questions asked" policy on lost luggage.
These are actually good ideas. I hope they get implemented.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Passenger dragged off United Airlines plane wins settlement
The Kentucky doctor dragged off a United Airlines flight from Chicago earlier this month has received a financial settlement from the airline.

Lawyers for Dr David Dao, 69, say a condition of the payout is that the "amount remain confidential".

United boss Oscar Munoz "said he was going to do the right thing and he has", Dr Dao's lawyers said.
I'm guessing the settlement was substantial, if Dao's lawyers are saying nice things about Munoz.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I heard the settlement was "amicable".

Man, can you imagine being the employee responsible for the actions that caused your company millions of dollars in lawsuit money? Ouch.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'll just drop this British Airways story about tying a passenger down to their seat when he moved into business class without permission and refused to leave.

Apparently this is standard procedure as here is an article from 2015 where United does the same thing, albeit under different and more threatening circumstances.

United ties passenger down.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I started pricing tickets today for a trip back East in mid-August for a family event. United has the best pricing, by a wide margin.

Get thee behind me, Satan.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

tgb wrote:I started pricing tickets today for a trip back East in mid-August for a family event. United has the best pricing, by a wide margin.
But is that their "basic economy" seating, where you don't get to bring a carry-on bag, select or change your seat, etc.? By the time you're done paying baggage fees with that, the price may not look nearly as attractive.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Factoring in luggage for the family usually makes Southwest a good bit cheaper.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I always compare fares with Southwest, but since it's just two of us and one bag, sometimes it still isn't competitive.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Doctor who was dragged, screaming, from United Airlines flight finally breaks silence
Dao said he decided to speak out publicly as a way to thank those who stood behind him.
Dao told ABC News on Tuesday that he woke up in a hospital and, for a while, did not know his story had gone viral.

Then, amid widespread outcry, slipping stock prices and a settlement with the airline, he said the media attention became too much for him to handle. “Get to the point, I have to hide,” he told ABC News, explaining that he had to go underground. “I stay for months — months in house.”

United Airlines said in a statement Tuesday to The Post that the incident was “a defining moment” for the company.

“It is our responsibility to make sure we as a company and all of our 90,000 employees continue to learn from that experience,” Megan McCarthy, a spokeswoman for the airline, said in the statement.

“The changes we have implemented since that incident better serve our customers and further empower our employees. This year, we are focused more than ever on our commitment to our customers, looking at every aspect of our business to ensure that we keep their best interests at the center of everything that we do. As our CEO Oscar Munoz has said, we at United never want anyone in the United family to forget the experience of Flight 3411. It makes us a better airline, a more caring company and a stronger team.”

In the interview with ABC News, Dao said he is glad the airline has taken action.