United Breaks Guitars (and now, faces!)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

United Breaks Guitars (and now, faces!)

Post by Isgrimnur »

What do you do when a company destroys your stuff and won't take responsibility for it? If you're a Halifax musician, you write a song about it. Here's the story behind it.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Re: United Breaks Guitars

Post by Daehawk »

Cute video. Good singer. Cool song.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

:D

Funny and not a bad song.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I watched it once this morning and it's still stuck in my head.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

That's pretty clever and I won't be surprised if some embarrassed exec at United decides to try and make things right. That said, I sure as hell would never allow something that valuable to turned over to luggage handlers without looking into what would happen if it was damaged or lost.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

Sarkus wrote:That's pretty clever and I won't be surprised if some embarrassed exec at United decides to try and make things right.
They did. He refused compensation because it is beyond that point now. Plus, it's a really good promo for his band I'm guessing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I keep listening to it. Looking forward to the next two parts. I wish it was in HD or HQ for even better sound.

OMG go to the Taylor Guitar homepage and view the front page...coincidence?

http://www.taylorguitars.com/" target="_blank
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Daehawk wrote:coincidence?
Following the link, I'd have to say "no".
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not content to just break guitars, United takes it up a notch:
One unnamed passenger boarded a United flight at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, headed to Louisville, not knowing he was about to be forced to leave a plane that was overbooked.

A nearly 30-second video clip, posted on social media by a fellow passenger, shows three security officers approaching a man who was already seated, asking him to give up his spot on the plane. After the man refuses, he was eventually dragged by his arms and screaming toward the front of the plane.

A witness to the debacle said passengers were warned at the gate that the flight was overbooked, and United was asking for volunteers to switch flights, with reimbursements included. Nobody spoke up.

According to Audra Bridges, who posted the video to her Facebook page Sunday evening, United management came on board the flight and used a computer to randomly select four passengers who would be removed from that trip.

The man in the video — one of those four randomly selected — reportedly claimed he was a doctor and needed to see his patients at the hospital in the morning, then proceeded to say he would call his lawyers.

After being forcibly ejected by three security officers, the man was able to get back on the plane, though his face was bloody, and he seemed disoriented, Bridges said. United offered no update to the flight's other passengers, who waited for more than two hours for things to calm down before taking off, she added.

United later issued a statement, saying: "Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked. After our team looked for volunteers, one customer refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily and law enforcement was asked to come to the gate. We apologize for the overbook situation. Further details on the removed customer should be directed to authorities."
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I had read that they needed the seats for United crew who they wanted to transport on that flight.

The good news for the passenger is that there is a shot of him with blood coming out his mouth.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I just don't get how they can possibly be allowed to boot someone from a plane like that. They shouldn't even be allowed to book more than what the f'n flight can hold. I try to avoid flying just because I can't deal with all the BS around it. Imagine if you had a family vacation planned and they booted you from the plane? :x :evil:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
McNutt

Re: United Breaks Guitars (and now, faces!)

Post by McNutt »

Southwest asked for volunteers and kept upping the offer until my son and I volunteered to take a flight four hours later and received $1,200 in tickets and food vouchers. At no point was anyone in jeopardy of being a Youtube sensation.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote:I just don't get how they can possibly be allowed to boot someone from a plane like that. They shouldn't even be allowed to book more than what the f'n flight can hold. I try to avoid flying just because I can't deal with all the BS around it. Imagine if you had a family vacation planned and they booted you from the plane? :x :evil:
I don't think they should board you and then kick you off.

To me overbooking makes sense but it should be small amounts and an explicit agreement in bold and blinking should happen to people who book on stand by seating.

That said, if I ever travel for not work, I'd be tempted set my departure and return flights for an extra day and see what happens. Every flight I'm ever on for work bumps people usually to the tune of $600 cash or more in vouchers. It's a win win situation if you can allot for it.
tgb

Post by tgb »

More than anything else, they need to learn the meaning of the word "voluntary".
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I unfortunately live near Newark which is a United hub. Nonetheless I have taken something over 50 flights in the few years and 0 have been on United. Not forgetting these shenanigans - they are just uniformly awful. When last I took them over 3 years ago and swore them off, their boarding procedure was a nightmare of getting on and off the plane due to overhead storage issues. Every flight was people just yelling at each other during boarding. On three occasions we got to Newark and they didn't have someone to roll the jet way out to the plane for a half hour. This happened to a co-worker on more than one occasion as well. And it wasn't like we got off the plane to a zoo. The place was empty - they just forgot about the plane. United sucks.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

From now on superglue yourself to the seat. If nothing else you should get lots of airline miles.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
malchior

Post by malchior »

The superglue might work but after this they're need to pay three guys to manhandle people onto United flights. :mrgreen:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I saw those two guys in concert a few years before this happened. They're called the Sons of Maxwell and are a pretty good band.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
malchior

Post by malchior »

Seems like a proportional response to an overbooking situation. *Spoiler tag added due to blood*
Spoiler:
Last edited by malchior on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I foresee lawyers lining up to represent him.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So... I am reading this post in Terminal C.....of Newark International Airport....going on my vacation with my wife...waiting for a United flight...
Please look for me on the impending YouTube video...

I believe my flight is overbooked as well. when i checked in at the automated terminal, it asked me if I or anyone in my party would be will to switch flights for $150 credit.. I said no.

We are heading to orlando with an arrival around 5:30ish.. I guess if they offered enough of a cash back deal, we might take it, but not for any sort of credit.. We just don't fly that often...Or maybe a round trip 1st class upgrade.. Kind of want to see what the fuss is about..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote:Southwest asked for volunteers and kept upping the offer until my son and I volunteered to take a flight four hours later and received $1,200 in tickets and food vouchers. At no point was anyone in jeopardy of being a Youtube sensation.
The last time I flew Southwest, they took on standby passengers in New Orleans who were enroute to Chicago but the extra seats on the New Orleans - Nashville flight were not available on the Nashville - Chicago continuation. Because of Southwest's ridiculous seating policy, they had no idea where the passengers who they wanted to kick off were; none spoke up, and we sat there for nearly 3 hours until they got it resolved.

Did I mention it was the last time I flew Southwest? Never again after that bullshit.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Punisher wrote:So... I am reading this post in Terminal C.....of Newark International Airport....going on my vacation with my wife...waiting for a United flight...
Please look for me on the impending YouTube video...

I believe my flight is overbooked as well. when i checked in at the automated terminal, it asked me if I or anyone in my party would be will to switch flights for $150 credit.. I said no.

We are heading to orlando with an arrival around 5:30ish.. I guess if they offered enough of a cash back deal, we might take it, but not for any sort of credit.. We just don't fly that often...Or maybe a round trip 1st class upgrade.. Kind of want to see what the fuss is about..
What if they offered you a punch in the face? Would you switch flights then?
I look forward to your YouTube video. Be sure to scream out "That is not dead which can eternal lie" so we know it's you. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Those credit offers are puppies anyway, because all I've seen stipulate they only apply to full fare tickets. When I used to fly a lot, these tickets were 3-4x the price of the discounted tickets that I always buy, so I've never actually used any of those vouchers.
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Packing up now. flight begins boarding in 10 minutes... Hoping I don't get kicked off or am offered $1000 cash for each seat..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jeff V wrote:Those credit offers are puppies anyway, because all I've seen stipulate they only apply to full fare tickets. When I used to fly a lot, these tickets were 3-4x the price of the discounted tickets that I always buy, so I've never actually used any of those vouchers.
Don't know how they work on United but American's are not restricted this way. I used one (which did get messed up initially) and the flight for wife and I to Orlando was about $532. I used $500 voucher and paid difference. Eventually the flight re-priced to $484 and they sent me a voucher for the $16 and never charged my credit card.. The voucher there is like cash and the pricing was the same as I could book online -- except I had to phone in.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

malchior wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Those credit offers are puppies anyway, because all I've seen stipulate they only apply to full fare tickets. When I used to fly a lot, these tickets were 3-4x the price of the discounted tickets that I always buy, so I've never actually used any of those vouchers.
Don't know how they work on United but American's are not restricted this way. I used one (which did get messed up initially) and the flight for wife and I to Orlando was about $532. I used $500 voucher and paid difference. Eventually the flight re-priced to $484 and they sent me a voucher for the $16 and never charged my credit card.. The voucher there is like cash and the pricing was the same as I could book online -- except I had to phone in.
I think these were on Delta.

Subsequently, when Delta offered vouchers for a voluntary bump, I declined because the others were so worthless. And then the plane ended up getting broken and the flight canceled, I got home about 12 hours later than I would have if I had taken the voucher and got on the next plane. :x
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I like Joe Thomas
Dear #United, I had to "re-accommodate" someone once.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Chicago PD - helping to clean up the mess (again).
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

At least the police report doesn't say that he fell multiple times, hitting his head on every armrest leaving the plane.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
Next time, United, just offer more money for people to voluntarily give up their seat. You will save a lot of money and PR problems.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Moliere wrote:Next time, United, just offer more money for people to voluntarily give up their seat. You will save a lot of money and PR problems.
Or pay the bucks to fly your personnel on another flight. For that matter, I am told by the Internet, which never lies to me, that it was a five a hour drive for their employees to go from Chicago to Louisville, rent them a car or even pay to send them in a limo.

United need a contingency plan for moving their staff on oversold plane other than "oversold passengers on a plane will be removed by force" though I suppose it's a bit late for that now.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope they lose millions to him.
stessier

Post by stessier »

United isn't going to lose anything. They called the cops and any damage was done by them (if anyone). As their carrier rules (that no one reads) allows them to do what they did, this is pretty much just bad PR and nothing else.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:As their carrier rules (that no one reads) allows them to do what they did, this is pretty much just bad PR and nothing else.

I do! And I think airlines really need to make that stuff more up front on their cheap air fairs as crazy overbooking has become the norm.

It's bad PR and nothing else but it's really bad PR and really bad PR takes its toll.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LordMortis wrote: And I think airlines really need to make that stuff more up front on their cheap air fairs as crazy overbooking has become the norm.
Technically the flight wasn't overbooked - all passengers were in their seats. It just sounds like United realized at the last minute that they had to get a crew over to Louisville.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He was asian wasn't he? He could pull the race card as being singled out. Wouldn't blame him.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If only we had some organization, perhaps a government agency, that was in charge of making sure that passengers were protected from bs policies and overstepping employees.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The policy such an agency would create might say they are entitled to 2x the face value of a standard ticket if they are delayed in reaching their destination by more than 2 hours up to $650 and up to 4x the face value up to $1350 if it is more than 4 hours if they are forced to be "re-accommodated".

Seeing as there are clear rules, me thinks nothing is gonna change.