Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Post by Kraken »

tgb wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:33 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:28 pm The first three hours of this season have been one extended gun battle. Not my kind of entertainment, but they did telegraph a war coming, and wars do tend to feature a lot of gunplay, so I suppose they're delivering what they promised. From the previews it looks like they might start moving the story forward again in E4. I hope; I don't know if I will sit through another hour of shooting.
E4 is the best of the season, by far. In fact, the opening scene is one of the best of the whole series.
Just got caught up and I agree with you. Glad to see the show come back, because they almost lost me there.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I also just caught up this week. Some questionable low points, but also some cool stuff. Simon/Gregory just doesn't work for me. It feels like they're going for some type of subtle humor but it's not working. The actor playing Simon is game but his character lacks any sort of appeal. The actor playing Gregory suffers because I think he has been given a character who is too lame. He's like Eugene but without the humor.

I did like the part when Daryl annoyed Rick by not backing up his 'word'.

Which brings me to my biggest problem with recent developments- prisoners. How, exactly, does a small community maintain any sort of control over a group of prisoners? 24 hour guard? Haha. You have enough people for that? Food, water? Who takes them to poop? WHERE do they poop? Showers? What point is there to taking prisoners? When this is all over we...? Dumb, dumb, dumb.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Apparently
Spoiler:
Lenny James is making a permanent move to FtWD
although I have no idea how they'll shoehorn his character into the timeline.

In a related turn of events, I've posted before about how my wife has a habit of getting famous people mixed up. This morning she excitedly announced "Guess who's going to be on Fear the Walking Dead!
Spoiler:
Lenny Bruce!
"

I'd pay good money to see that.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

tgb wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:54 am Apparently
Spoiler:
Lenny James is making a permanent move to FtWD
although I have no idea how they'll shoehorn his character into the timeline.

In a related turn of events, I've posted before about how my wife has a habit of getting famous people mixed up. This morning she excitedly announced "Guess who's going to be on Fear the Walking Dead!
Spoiler:
Lenny Bruce!
"

I'd pay good money to see that.
Well, he'd make a GREAT zombie, but they'd have to do it up "Weekend at Bernie's"-style.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did Rick suffer from some type of hit to his head that I'm not remembering? Between his strange decisions to chat it up in the season opener to what he did with the Heapsters last night, I'm wondering if he's been concussed and is not thinking clearly.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Even though I think it's a dumb reason, I'm glad they at least gave a reason for keeping prisoners. Although I was disappointed that right after Maggie said something about not tolerating any shenanigans from her prisoners, one of them makes a grab for a gun and there are no consequences for that. So she immediately proves she's a liar and that she's weak. The guy who got rpg'd, why did she even talk to him? I don't get it. Was she going to take him prisoner? Wasn't that encounter going to end with the people dead? So then shoot him without saying a word.

There aren't enough badasses on this show is what I'm saying. Daryl is the only dependable one.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:55 pm Did Rick suffer from some type of hit to his head that I'm not remembering? Between his strange decisions to chat it up in the season opener to what he did with the Heapsters last night, I'm wondering if he's been concussed and is not thinking clearly.
Rick has been a fount of bad ideas going back to the first season. Why these dumbasses still consider him a leader, I have no idea.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What's with the weird messaging system shown this week? You folks see each other pretty damn often. Do you really need to invent an intricate system of dead drops?
He won. Period.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I just assumed it was something they came up with for their anti-Negan operation. They all have different assignments in different areas, so this is a low tech way to stay up to date on what's going on. I doubt we'll see it again after this has all been resolved.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 am What's with the weird messaging system shown this week? You folks see each other pretty damn often. Do you really need to invent an intricate system of dead drops?
Intricate is the word of the day for this crew. With the help of some well-placed crossbow bolt notes and an insider they're not sure they can trust, they lay siege to the Saviors with corrugated tin roof-armored cars, blow up the RV to draw hundreds of zombies led from a highway herd, send a splinter group off to find .50 machine guns, all the while simultaneously taking out multiple satellite bunkers of Saviors (and their infant children??), while the Kingdom folks are wandering around laying ambushes in the very spot that they themselves have been set up to be ambushed in.

So it makes perfect sense that they would set up a microwave dead drop on a road that they knew Rick was going to be walking down after they spontaneously chased down an armored truck and blew up the guns they were going to use to turn the tide.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah thanks, I knew someone here would know.
He won. Period.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Well, that was a shock.
Spoiler:
I keep trying to think of a way they will cheat death with Carl, but post interviews make it sound like it is for real. A MAJOR deviation from the comics.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Lassr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:02 am Well, that was a shock.
Spoiler:
I keep trying to think of a way they will cheat death with Carl, but post interviews make it sound like it is for real. A MAJOR deviation from the comics.
WTF?!!?
Spoiler:
My wife and I were talking before the show on who would die and I dismissed that person completely because of his part in the comics. Not a fan of this and I can't figure a way for them to turn it around.. Only things I can think of is that either he is found to be immune or it wasn't a walker bite, maybe he got bit from someone that was alive. Watching Talking dead right now and found out that Chandler is 18.. wonder if they are just afraid that he is gonna look too old for the show and that's a reason why they are doing this.. and Rick is gonna explode...
Feb 25th better hurry the hell up and get here...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
tgb

Post by tgb »

We haven't watched it yet, but
Spoiler:
is the hat ok?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Spoiler:
I have to say I'm VERY not happy about this. In the comics Carl plays such an integral part of the story from here on out. I have NO CLUE how they plan to have the same motivation to do some of the things that are coming without his character. You could argue that the entire series is Carl's story -- told from his viewpoint about the events that we are reading/seeing.

My first thought was that Riggs wanted to leave to go to college. Post-interviews says that's not the case. This was the show runner's decision, and I think the first major stupid thing they've done. Glenn had to die -- it was part of how Maggie began to take the leadership reins and lead Hilltop. Lots of what I like to call 'desperate housewife' fans of the show left when it happened because they had no clue about the story arc and were there just for the relationships. Carl being killed of makes ZERO sense to me. It's like ripping the story foundation out from under the show. Ridiculous and a bad call by the show runner.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Spoiler:

I don't think I'm overreacting when I say that we just witnessed the poison pill for the show. Everyone thought it was Glenn -- and that is the farthermost from the truth. Carl being killed is the poison pill. Why?

They will now deviate so far from Kirkman's brilliant story that I know the typical moronic Hollywood writers is going to screw the pooch with this entire story.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

The magical saviors getting out of a horde of walkers with opera bugs the crap out of me. The walkers are inside the compound. They see people they want to eat. They don't just turn around and walk off because they hear the three tenors. It's probably the thing that has bugged me the most in this show. Then, Rick gets Lucille and is standing over Negan and he hits him in the chest with the small end of the bat. Not only would you not do that because it's ineffective but you'd have to grab the barb wire end to do so (and in watching replays of it his hand is up where there would be barb wire). It's another example of them doing something that they didn't need to do to increase drama. Just have him swing and get kicked while doing so. It's not hard. Don't have him do something that anyone in that same situation would never ever ever do. :grund:
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msduncan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:16 am
Spoiler:
I have to say I'm VERY not happy about this. In the comics Carl plays such an integral part of the story from here on out. I have NO CLUE how they plan to have the same motivation to do some of the things that are coming without his character. You could argue that the entire series is Carl's story -- told from his viewpoint about the events that we are reading/seeing.

My first thought was that Riggs wanted to leave to go to college. Post-interviews says that's not the case. This was the show runner's decision, and I think the first major stupid thing they've done. Glenn had to die -- it was part of how Maggie began to take the leadership reins and lead Hilltop. Lots of what I like to call 'desperate housewife' fans of the show left when it happened because they had no clue about the story arc and were there just for the relationships. Carl being killed of makes ZERO sense to me. It's like ripping the story foundation out from under the show. Ridiculous and a bad call by the show runner.
I agree.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just feel like they've dragged out this story far longer than it needs. I'm exhausted from the ups and downs.

Although the comic relief of Rick trying to win back over the group of people who forgot personal pronouns 25 minutes after the zombie apocalypse was fun. Rick strikes me as the kind of guy who'd burn his ear accidentally answering an iron when his phone rang...then burn the other one when they called back. Not only are the Garbage Pail Kids deceitful and untrustworthy, they also like wearing aprons without clothes underneath. I don't care how bad things get, the moment I'm caught running around in nothing but an apron, I want you to assume I've given up and want you to put a bullet in my head.

Also, I love that every time there's an attack, Judith appears afterwards in the caring arms of another patron of Grimetown. What the hell do they do, immediately secure the kid to a drone and she just hovers over the chaos until it's safe to land?

Anyway
Spoiler:
Not happy with Carl biting it. The kid really was growing into his role and I looked forward to his stepping up once things settled down
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The 90-minute semi-finale was padded with what felt like 30 minutes of slow-motion pans of people's faces.

I really did not see that ending coming. Like msduncan said,
Spoiler:
(Comics aside, because I haven't read them) I was watching the entire series as Carl's coming-of-age story, so I had thought he was untouchable. Writing him out due to a bite -- one that apparently happened off-camera, unless my attention wandered at some key moment -- just seems completely random.

And yeah, the inconclusive skirmish between RIck and Negan was disappointing, too. Each of them had an opportunity to end the other, yet somehow they both walk away?
Maybe randomness is supposed to be the point. I am very curious to see where they go with this. After eight seasons this show is getting long in the tooth...maybe it's approaching an end?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The ratings have been steadily declining for a while now. I think it’s time to fire the show runner and get someone who has some actual talent.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

All I kept thinking after the show was that Fonzie did it better.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Spoiler:
Until Gimple (paraphrasing) called the bite a "one-way street" I was fully expecting the timely return of the doctor to provide the miracle cure that Carl needed to pull through. At this point, and after the Glen manipulation, I would rather Carl bite it (sorry) than miraculously pull through - UNLESS his doing so was a major story advancement. A radical cure/abatement; not just a character arc thing.
Or, maybe,
Spoiler:
Carl falls into a long sleep and can only be awoken by true loves, um , second or third kiss.
Also: Are Scott Gimple and Gary Bettman related? The mannerism similarities are astounding.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Lassr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:42 am
msduncan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:16 am
Spoiler:

I agree.
Ditto
Spoiler:
I was explaining to my wife just how important Carl was after the time jump.. I was fully expecting Daryl or Carol since Daryl doesn't exist in the comics and Carol's been dead for a while.. Although the Carol in the show is MUCH better than the one in the comics..
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:26 pm I don't care how bad things get, the moment I'm caught running around in nothing but an apron, I want you to assume I've given up and want you to put a bullet in my head.
Why did I think this was your normal attire at the Octocon's?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Jolor wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:48 pm
Spoiler:
Until Gimple (paraphrasing) called the bite a "one-way street" I was fully expecting the timely return of the doctor to provide the miracle cure that Carl needed to pull through. At this point, and after the Glen manipulation, I would rather Carl bite it (sorry) than miraculously pull through - UNLESS his doing so was a major story advancement. A radical cure/abatement; not just a character arc thing.
Spoiler:
Maybe he is immune? It's never been touched on in the comics, but for any disease aren't there always some people who are immune?
Maybe he'll turn blue and have the power to control walkers!
Jolor wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:48 pm Or, maybe,
Spoiler:
Carl falls into a long sleep and can only be awoken by true loves, um , second or third kiss.
Spoiler:
Maybe he'll only be mostly dead...Or maybe he's Blaving?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, I just read a recap that mentioned something I hadn't considered and that explains away some of this episode's issues for me.
Spoiler:
Apparently, according to one reviewer, Carl was actually bitten in the episode before when he was trying to rescue Siddiq. That explains the letter writing to his dad, the scenes of soul searching and the offer of his life to Negan for those of the Alexandrians. Now, that may have been obvious to some, but I didn't put those two things together...even though I remember at the time thinking "how the heck did Carl escape that zombie mess with Siddiq?".
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I thought for sure it happened (during the scene in question) but when it wasn't immediately disclosed, I'd assumed I was misreading the situation. Apparently it was a subtle setup for the episode that just aired. Given how it all unfolded, I figured when it didn't happen, it was just more plot armor.

The show has definitely lost its steam (for me). I could still watch Jeffrey Dean Morgan all day long, but the core characters in TWD just aren't doing it for me any more. Between Judith's magical ability to be safe and the Rick/Michonne romance, it's stretching my ability to remain interested.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:25 pm Between Judith's magical ability to be safe
I already explained that one.

He won. Period.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

JDM's character is almost as bad as Carl. Happy one of them is dead, happier when both are.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carl gets some grief from a few folks, but I thought he was a pretty dang good kid actor who grew into a pretty dang good teen actor. And his character really was shaping up to be one of the better ones.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan I can take or leave. But that's because I always envisioned Negan as he was in the comics. i.e. a rather large, imposing character. Morgan's Negan is just a little too waifish to be intimidating in light of that.
He won. Period.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The bits that bothered me:
Characters pleading for mercy on behalf of Negan's people. Come on. I understand wanting to take the high road. I understand not wanting to stoop to the level of your enemy. But the problem is these people KNOW what's going to happen if Negan's people live. The three leaders, King/Rick/Maggie, will be executed at the very least. So when Jesus is preaching mercy to Maggie, he's doing that knowing that Maggie is the one in most danger. Jesus is willing to risk Maggie's life for Negan's people! Why? What's it to him? If, by some chance, one of the prisoners kills a Hilltop guard, is it worth it? Would Jesus really say "Too bad Neil got killed, but at least our prisoners are alive and being treated humanely"?

The other thing is the Oceanside thing. Two of you are going somewhere that you know has people who are highly suspicious of outsiders. When you get there you hear a noise. You have many options on what to do. The option you choose is to split up? WTF? Then when you hear the Oceanside person yell out "You shouldn't have come", which by the way is the exact first thing you knew they'd say to you, you then shoot that person? WTF? Then the Oceanside people just mill around, instead of, oh I don't know, filling the outsiders full of lead?

I did like some of it. The roadside fight with Dwight/Daryl and the others was good. I actually felt the outrage that Dwight's companion was portraying, even though she's on the side of evil. Dude! Shooting your own? Then again, the actor playing Dwight has been doing well lately. His reminder of how he helped Rick's side was convincing. His previous episode scene with Eugene, where he said the saviors were coming to an end, was also a good one.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

the actor playing Dwight...
How long has he been channelling Rick's speaking style?
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Meh.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Notice how Rick was hitting Ngan with Lucille with the wrong end?
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The one thing I have to let slide, or I'd never be able to watch this show again, is that they don't kill Negan on sight. I mean, if it was me, nothing would take priority over killing that guy immediately at any opportunity.

That time they were in front of his HQ and he stepped out to talk? Are you kidding me? I would have shot him, and then ask his lieutenants if they'd care to surrender.

So when Rick bopped him with that bat, yeah that was just another scene where they let him live for no real reason. Rick is someone who has gnawed on his opponents, that's how hardcore and unstoppable he is when he fights...except with Negan.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't watched since season 5 or early 6...at the church. Not sure what happened but I gave up the show and with it the last of my tv viewing. Not watched for years now. Ive seen The Orville a few times online is all.

Anyways they have a new online digital series about Rick's red machete. Its origin and the hands its passed through over the years to Rick. First part of a 5 part is up.

http://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/201 ... d-machete/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Ok so...havent watched since Glenn's death and dont intend to restart...and i've skimmed this thread here and there. So i vaguely know what's going on...Now...i got a question, will put it in spoilers....
Spoiler:
RE: Carl's death...

Saw the big hubbub on a news site....

Is he really dead? Or did he simply get bitten? I mean did he do the whole death scene? Reason am asking I am wondering if they can walk it back ...by saying that "Carl is immune to zombie bites". I know huge leap and such. But....
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
Given that his dad's already taken to social media to bitch about how his son has been treated, I'd say he's dead.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Spoiler:
Given that his dad's already taken to social media to bitch about how his son has been treated, I'd say he's dead.
yep, this seems absolutely correct

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs