Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

JSHAW

Re: Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for A

Post by JSHAW »

Trent Steel wrote:
Lassr wrote:I didn't think it was the greatest episode but understood that it was advancing the story of the Saviors and their influence and the communities that could confront them later.
Having the entire season so far be an effort in advancing the story is getting really old. After Neegan detonated people's skulls, we've all been waiting for the payoff. We're now 5 full episodes in since the opening and the longer it gets drawn out the more annoying it becomes.

The only thing I'm thinking when watching is, "When does Better Call Saul come back?"
I've been seeing and reading articles that viewership of TWD this season is way down. Not going to speculate on those reasons,
I'm hanging in till the end, whenever that is.

For those that have read and are still reading the comic is Neegan an active character in it, or has he been dealt with and
killed?

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing him die, any death, just DIE you fucker, die!!!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

JSHAW wrote:For those that have read and are still reading the comic is Neegan an active character in it, or has he been dealt with and
killed?

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing him die, any death, just DIE you fucker, die!!!
I am 16 issues behind (read through the third compendium), but...
Spoiler:
Yes and yes. The saviors problem was solved... however Negan was still an active character.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As filler episodes go I thought it was above average, and is definitely setting up things later on. However, the cracks are starting to show in terms of the writing (I know people have been saying that a long time, but I tend to be a little more forgiving). Even I cringed a few times at the dialogue last night, though. It was also driving my wife and I crazy that Tara was so cavalier about turning her back on walkers. She seemed remarkably unruffled by them in general even when she was just shoving them out of the way instead of killing them. :grund:
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Whoever decided that giving Fistbump Not Cop her very own episode was a good idea should be fired. It's not like they were following the comic books with this episode either, they literally could have chosen any other character to send to Oceanside and they chose Fistbump, the least interesting character in the history of TWD (Yes she is even less interesting than T-Dawg). It's a good way to drive ratings even lower.

I'm hoping next week is better.
FTE
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

You have limited bullets. You have a boxcar to stand on. You have a spear to stab. How do you get past 10-20 zombies? Get their attention and then push your way through the middle. Don't stand on the boxcar that gives you height advantage and puts their heads just below your feet as they file down the lanes between the cars one or two at a time. Don't stand on a car while they come at you slowly. No. Fuck that. Jump down and go through the middle because...no good reason at all.

By now anyone who is in a this show and alive should be doing the smart thing. The people who do stupid stuff should already be dead by now. Overall, I didn't mind the episode. Tara isn't a very interesting character (I'd have rather they sent Heath) but it wasn't bad. I just hate when they have a choice of doing something smart or stupid and they choose something worse than the stupid choice.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

coopasonic wrote:
JSHAW wrote:For those that have read and are still reading the comic is Neegan an active character in it, or has he been dealt with and
killed?

I am 16 issues behind (read through the third compendium), but...
Spoiler:
Yes and yes. The saviors problem was solved... however Negan was still an active character.
Spoiler:
I am current on the comics and Negan is still an active character. Also, IIRC (It's been a while).. The "payoff" took quite a while in the comics.
I am wondering if these filler episodes are because that are quickly catching up to the comics in terms of story. Yes they still have a ways to go, but I can see them running into a Game of Thrones issue at some point where they pass the comics in terms of story.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hope next week they spend the entire episode telling the backstory for one of Carol's pies.

God that was awful.
He won. Period.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Next week will be about Carol in the little house and her budding relationship with King Ezekiel.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
tgb

Post by tgb »

Never in a million years would I think I would yearn for a Father Gabriel episode. Even tlr hated it, and she sat through both seasons of Under the Dome.

As someone else pointed out, what kind of incompetence does it take to turn an episode about a lesbian discovering an all-woman community into something boring?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

tgb wrote: As someone else pointed out, what kind of incompetence does it take to turn an episode about a lesbian discovering an all-woman community into something boring?
:lol:

It was okay, as throwaway episodes go. I had to wonder, though, how many fans thought "Hey, remember that chubby lesbian girl? What was her name again? Whatever happened to her? We need more characters!"

Hoping they have some longer-term reason for resurrecting her.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

A bit of a cheat due to having read the comics but I thought it was an interesting way to bring Seaside into the picture. I'm looking forward to tying all these communities together in the next several episodes.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I thought the lady leading Seaside was about as bad an actress as the lady who originally led Alexandria.

Good grief that was horrible TV. Script, story, acting, etc etc etc was all horrible.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm kinda late to catch up but nothing, I mean NOTHING, can top that scene between Gregory and the savior guy for being the most horrible Walking Dead sequence. The one where they talked about the painting is the one I mean. I get that they needed to show Gregory selling out Rick's people but that was an excruciating way to get there. There was an opportunity there to do something with either or both characters- fail. There was a chance to surprise the audience in some way- fail. There was no meat on that bone, it was almost as if we were watching the two actors aimlessly improvise a scene on the off chance that they might get more screen time and someone decided to use it on the show.

This last episode wasn't as terrible as that, but it wasn't good. My main issue is i think it was a major mistake to give Tara this big action oriented episode when the actress isn't in condition for it. Wait until a later time, or give this episode to someone else. It's completely unbelievable. The women in that community, even the girl, were convincingly feral and dangerous looking. Tara came across as a joke compared to that yet she's knocking them out, fighting them, and running away! If it has to be Tara now, if it has to involve that community, then make it low key. Make it claustrophobic and intense. Do not have her outrunning automatic weapons fire.
mori

Post by mori »

It helped that the women of Seaside shoot like Star Wars Stormtroopers.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'm starting to get the feeling that this show is just going to end without any resolution (as the ratings just seem to be going down every week).

Realistically, how could they even end it? They can't have a cure (no one on the show has any medical background). The only way I can see them ending it is with the death of Rick and Carl. Rick and Carl die, Daryl rides his bike off into the sunset with Michonne on the back.

I thought this episode was pretty good. Some great tension built up with Neegan and Carl. It did start to get a bit long but hopefully there is a mid-season payoff next week and they don't leave us wondering if Neegan will kill the baby (he won't). I think he'll kill someone else, though. Maybe Olivia. She doesn't seem to contribute a lot so she is expendable.
tgb

Post by tgb »

The episode was definitely a step up. Obviously this is headed to Rick seeing Negan holding Baby Chum Judith and losing his shit.

They won't kill off Olivia because who cares?

I hope they aren't planning to repeat the cliffhanger from last season. I'll not spoiler this because it's strictly speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if Negan was been waiting to kill Coral until he can do it in front of Rick.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

EvilHomer3k wrote:I'm starting to get the feeling that this show is just going to end without any resolution (as the ratings just seem to be going down every week).
I think that's the whole point of the series - there is no end. It's also why they keep spinning off all of these crap webisodes and Fear the Walking Dead nonsense - because ultimately it's about the people and what they do, not some "end" point or resolution to the zombie problem. People are watching because of the characters. Well, ideally. Those watching for zombies are likely not happy.
tgb wrote:but it wouldn't surprise me if Negan was been waiting to kill Coral until he can do it in front of Rick.
Here's the thing - and to be clear I haven't read the comics - Carl seems to have more value alive than dead. Killing Carl (IMHO) would send Rick into a rage that Negan likely doesn't want to deal with. Negan knows Rick has it in him to be a total lunatic. He sees that Carl has that same fire. What's interesting to me is that we actually haven't seen Negan outright instruct his crew to murderize people like Rick did to the outpost crew last season. Someone could likely make the argument that in terms of degree, Rick might have actually been worse than Negan. Yes, Negan makes examples of people and yes he engages in psychological torture and manipulation. But he didn't actually roll into an outpost and kill every person there. Even with the women from last week's episode, they killed the men - seemingly those that were fighting but left the women and children alone.

Anyway, I think Negan makes surgical-level decisions whereas Rick is more like a sledgehammer. To that end, keeping Carl alive is of value - not only because of the relationship it maintains with Rick but also because Negan believes Carl (under his guidance) will become a loyal follower. That's my take on all this and why I think Negan is an interesting individual. He's not the Governor but he's also not the same as a Ricktator.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I'm wondering if 'Negan' is like 'Dread Pirate Robert' where it's a title instead of an individual, inherited as the previous 'Negan' passes on thus perpetuating the legend.
So, Carl, could be being groomed.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Jolor wrote:I'm wondering if 'Negan' is like 'Dread Pirate Robert' where it's a title instead of an individual, inherited as the previous 'Negan' passes on thus perpetuating the legend.
I think for something like that much more time since the start of the ZA would have had to have passed.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Jolor wrote:I'm wondering if 'Negan' is like 'Dread Pirate Robert' where it's a title instead of an individual, inherited as the previous 'Negan' passes on thus perpetuating the legend.
Now THAT is interesting. I doubt they are going in that direction, but something like this would get me back into the "Neegan" plot-line.
18-1™ & 2-0
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

tgb wrote:
I think for something like that much more time since the start of the ZA would have had to have passed.
That, and the Saviors are a personality cult.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Smoove_B wrote: Even with the women from last week's episode, they killed the men - seemingly those that were fighting but left the women and children alone.
I am almost positive the woman said that all the males were killed, including the children. I could be wrong though.
I have read the comics but don't remember the women being in it at all, so not sure if that was a throw away episode.

As for ending, there is no apparent end for the comics, so I don't think they will need one for the show... I do think they are getting into game of thrones territory soon though.. The show seems to be catching up to the comics. I can see it doing so by the end of 2017 if not sooner.. Will be interesting when it does.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Punisher wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Even with the women from last week's episode, they killed the men - seemingly those that were fighting but left the women and children alone.
I am almost positive the woman said that all the males were killed, including the children. I could be wrong though.
I have read the comics but don't remember the women being in it at all, so not sure if that was a throw away episode.

As for ending, there is no apparent end for the comics, so I don't think they will need one for the show... I do think they are getting into game of thrones territory soon though.. The show seems to be catching up to the comics. I can see it doing so by the end of 2017 if not sooner.. Will be interesting when it does.
Oceanside did/does not exist in the comics. That entire episode was filler.

The end for the comics hasn't happened yet because the comics haven't ended. There are still new issues coming out.

The Carl at Sanctuary episode was SPOT ON what was in the comics. Fantastically done. The only difference is that the wives were in lingerie in the comics. I wish they would have done that here.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The last episode was pretty good. I liked seeing a more three dimensional view of Negan. I think that was the best episode featuring him next to the start of this part of the season. Watching him work on Carl was interesting since it shows how he's very good at figuring out how to manipulate different people. It's not just fear and force, he has more tools than that. Seeing him gloat over the women was important to me because it answers a question I always have about the control freaks of the world, what's in it for him? When he gets up in the morning what is he looking forward to that makes it all worthwhile to him? You could say he's just evil and being malicious is his reward but that makes for a bland character. That's why he keeps beating Dwight over the head with what's going on with his wife, having his pick of the women is a big deal to Negan.

I liked how Carl turned out to still be a kid in the end. Headstrong like a kid, he went on a mission and faced with the chance to complete it he couldn't do it.

I think I see how this is going to play out. The communities Ocean/tiger/Hilltop can help Rick's group. Negan has two major potential 'rebel' groups in his midst, slaves and wives. Daryl is on the inside and can be a destructive mole. Plus, there's the moat of zombies that, if let loose, could distract Negan's people if they get inside the fence. Lastly, Rick's people could also lead a herd of zombies there. All they need are the supplies to fight with.
tgb

Post by tgb »

That felt like the first 45 minutes of an Avengers movie, but twice as long.

I hated the way the show depicted
Spoiler:
Daryl's beatdown of Fat Joe
It obviously was meant to be as gruesome as the killings in the first episode of the season, but the show didn't have the balls to be just as explicit because we're supposed to like him and hate Negan.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I think they got their point across with Daryl. They would have to go to some pretty heavy stuff to get us to dislike Daryl. I think the decision was more of a way to save money than to shield us from Daryl and his revenge.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I liked that last episode as an obvious turning point in the season, though I do have to say it's really odd that the first episode of the season to actually involve the whole cast is the midseason finale.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's good to see the core group reconstituted. I'd rather see Carol there than Enid, but perhaps that will come. Enid is out of her league.

Clean-shaven Negan looks less menacing, but he can still deal out the justice. #MakeAlexandriaGreatAgain
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That ending where they lingered five seconds too long on everyone's face as they just stared at each other was SOOOOOO bad and SOOOOO cheesy. I'm glad the core group is back together, but did they have to make it look like an 80s movie where the picked on skater kids are about to go through a competition montage right before they take down the local bullies?

Sometimes I feel like they have this one brilliant writer in there coming up with funny shit for Negan to say and the rest are interns from HR.

Also, I hope this new resolve puts an end to Rick's "sweaty trembling staring off into the distance" mode that has been his acting crutch for multiple seasons now.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Not enjoying Negan's character, dialogue more precisely, whatsoever.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

EvilHomer3k wrote:I think they got their point across with Daryl. They would have to go to some pretty heavy stuff to get us to dislike Daryl. I think the decision was more of a way to save money than to shield us from Daryl and his revenge.
I finally saw this over the weekend. I think with Daryl the point was more 'Is he merciful to Negan's minions, the intimidated ones? Or does he see them all as enemies?" and we got our answer. I don't think payback was the point. He can't get payback off a minion.

The part that still bugs me is when people come back to town they still get caught by surprise that Negan or his people are there. Come on! I wouldn't get within a mile of town before hiding anything I have, then walking in. Finally someone takes a shot at Negan and THAT'S it?!?! Plus there was no reaction from Negan's people, they just stood around! He could be laying there dead and they'd do what? Stand around until someone says something? That guy hides the trailer= smart. That guy tosses aside the cover instead of placing back where it was behind him= dumb. When I saw the bottles I thought "I bet he throws one in anger and it shatters", yup, so predictable.

I did like the pool game and all the stuff related to that. That's the kind of stuff that makes everyone's fear of an unpredictable Negan more believable. Spencer puts his best foot forward and that's nowhere near good enough, very much consistent with his character. So I did enjoy the episode for the most part.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

YellowKing wrote:That ending where they lingered five seconds too long on everyone's face as they just stared at each other was SOOOOOO bad and SOOOOO cheesy. I'm glad the core group is back together, but did they have to make it look like an 80s movie where the picked on skater kids are about to go through a competition montage right before they take down the local bullies?

Sometimes I feel like they have this one brilliant writer in there coming up with funny shit for Negan to say and the rest are interns from HR.

Also, I hope this new resolve puts an end to Rick's "sweaty trembling staring off into the distance" mode that has been his acting crutch for multiple seasons now.
The one brilliant writer coming up with funny shit for Negan to say is Robert Kirkman. His lines have been, more or less, word for word out of the comics.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

gameoverman wrote:
EvilHomer3k wrote:
I did like the pool game and all the stuff related to that. That's the kind of stuff that makes everyone's fear of an unpredictable Negan more believable. Spencer puts his best foot forward and that's nowhere near good enough, very much consistent with his character. So I did enjoy the episode for the most part.
That scene was almost identical to the comic. I've noticed where most of you have criticized the writing or the dialog have been where the show writers have taken liberty and gone off script from the comics.

I think most of you would really enjoy the comics. They have a BUNCH of them neatly packaged in 3 compendiums now. I'm sure a 4th compendium will be coming by next Christmas.
It's 34 bowl victories.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

msduncan wrote:They have a BUNCH of them neatly packaged in 3 compendiums now. I'm sure a 4th compendium will be coming by next Christmas.
The compendiums hold 4 years of the comic. The last compendium came out a year ago. I suspect you have 3 years to wait for the next one.
Last edited by coopasonic on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

gameoverman wrote:Spencer puts his best foot forward and that's nowhere near good enough, very much consistent with his character. So I did enjoy the episode for the most part.
I needed to jump in here. Spencer absolutely didn't put his best foot forward - he tried to manipulate Negan (or his crew) into dealing with Rick. Above all else, Negan seems to respect individuals that get the job done themselves - people that take initiative. That's why (I think) he likes Carl and Rick. Hell, even Rosita took initiative - but not in a way that was helpful. So you punish her by making her live with her bad choices and shape her into someone that takes initiative in the right direction.. Being a manipulative backstabber? That will get you punished (or killed). There are rules and say what you want about them, Negan has been rather clear in his expectations.

Regarding the compendiums, yes, three have been published and I've read the first two. #3 is on the list for Xmas and it was published in October of 2015. If the pattern holds, #4 will be available October of 2018.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For some odd reason, I keep imagining Kim Jong Un as the Negan character...
He won. Period.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Smooth_B, that's my point though. Spencer put his, Spencer's, best foot forward. I don't mean to say it was a good foot forward, just that it was the best he could do. His character has always be that guy who is just a little slow, not in mental intelligence but in thinking things through. He doesn't look before he leaps, he's too keen on impressing people with his ability to leap to bother with looking first.

The scene was also great because I think it illustrated something discussed previously, that Negan has been through this so many times that he knows all the moves people will make before those people even think of the move. He knew there would be a Spencer sooner or later. He knew what the pitch would be. I would even bet Negan has experience playing this out both ways, indulging a Spencer and not indulging him. Then Negan, having seen for himself which method works, chooses his best response.

It's so like Spencer to not stop to consider how transparent his approach would be. Checking himself out in the mirror was part of that, he's clueless enough to think being able to fool himself translates to being able to pull one over on other people.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, I think we agree. I was just thrown off by the phrase "Best foot forward" - it's not one I would use for someone trying to manipulate someone else into murder. :wink:
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

If you're Spencer, and you want Rick gone, wouldn't having Negan kill him be an attractive option? People backstab others all the time, people suck up to bosses all the time. Spencer just never took a moment to consider Negan's perspective. In a workplace, the worst that could happen is Spencer gets let go. In a Negan world...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Watched the Tara/Seaside episode last night. Not great, but I've been less entertained. But then, we only watch it when the wife brings it up.

ON a side note, I looked up the actress. It's Alanna Masterson, sister of Danny Masterson (Hyde from That 70's Show).

Oh, and as for splitting everyone up, Lennie James (Morgan) hated it.
"I swear to God, it was horrible... and it was the same for everybody," he said. "This season, everybody's had more time off than they have ever, ever had... but it was horrible. I hated it.

"You just didn't see anybody - because we film The Kingdom in a completely different area where they were filming either Alexandria or Hilltop or where the Saviours were... no-one was close to each other."

James revealed that, with so much time off, he flew back and forth from Atlanta - where The Walking Dead films - to his home in London several times.

"There was one point where I had three episodes off and I'm like, 'I'm just gonna go and see my kids, what am I doing in Atlanta for that amount of time?' - so I would leave town and that was exactly what everybody else was doing.

"No-one was around. I didn't see Andy [Lincoln, who plays Rick Grimes] for six weeks and in the end, when I saw him, we were both on a plane back to London to see our families. You just didn't see your mates!"

So aggrieved was James, he ended up taking his complaints to showrunner Scott Gimple: "I'm not a complainer, but I complained about it every day.

"I said to Scott, 'I see what you're doing, I really respect you, but don't ever do this to me again, 'cause I hate it!' - I just didn't see people, and then there's whole bunches of people at the wrap party that you've never met.

"It's like, 'Who are you? I don't know you! Where's my mates?' - it was horrible. I hated it."
But we needed to take a breath.

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.