Fall TV Scheduling

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Meal

Re: Fall TV Scheduling

Post by The Meal »

WPD wrote:
The Meal wrote:I've watched that first episode of Community twice, and have laughed many times on both viewings.
The only bad part about Community was Joel McHale's complete and utter lack of trying (ability?) to act. He and the show were still real good though.
You and I must be watching a different show.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Community was insane last night. Most sitcoms would kill to have a bit as funny as Senor Chang's rant or Joel & Chevy's presentation at some point during an entire season, but they got two of them in the same episode - and it's only episode 2! Someone should point this out to Joss Whedon and let him know that it's OK to start off a TV show strong.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
lildrgn

Post by lildrgn »

ImLawBoy wrote:Community was insane last night. Most sitcoms would kill to have a bit as funny as Senor Chang's rant or Joel & Chevy's presentation at some point during an entire season, but they got two of them in the same episode - and it's only episode 2! Someone should point this out to Joss Whedon and let him know that it's OK to start off a TV show strong.
Loved Community, and when they piped in Aimee Mann during the guys' "presentation"? AWESOME.
You complete me.
words
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Overall, Community is kind of a mess but there were some good moments last night, particularly the protest piñata and the epic Spanish presentation.

I caught a few bits of Modern Family and it seemed a bit meh. I did LOL at the Lion King baby bit though.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

ImLawBoy wrote:Community was insane last night. Most sitcoms would kill to have a bit as funny as Senor Chang's rant or Joel & Chevy's presentation at some point during an entire season, but they got two of them in the same episode - and it's only episode 2! Someone should point this out to Joss Whedon and let him know that it's OK to start off a TV show strong.
Agreed, that was an amazingly funny episode last night. Community is greatness.

I really enjoyed Modern Family. It was obvious they were trying to set everything up and the overall story suffered a bit for it, but it had some really funny parts (scheduling when the boy got shot, the lion king bit).

Cougar Town as fairly meh. I watched it because it's made by the guy who created Scrubs and I adore Scrubs. It had some funny parts but tried way to hard to tell you JUST HOW HARD it is to be a single 40 yr old woman.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Chevy Chase as Beastmaster. I think I almost lost a lung laughing... :lol:

Community is rapidly becoming my number 1 new comedy of the season. I like Modern Family, but Community contains more laugh out loud minutes than it does.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

There was a Community episode (maybe last week's) that didn't really do it for me, but the rest have been pretty hilarious. Abed as the Dark Knight was inspired.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The nonsensical conversation between Abed and Troy staged entirely in imitations of Christian Bale's Batman at the close of the show had me laughing as well. I love watching the closing scenes because they always throw in something that's just freakin' off the wall.
He won. Period.
WPD

Post by WPD »

hepcat wrote:The nonsensical conversation between Abed and Troy staged entirely in imitations of Christian Bale's Batman at the close of the show had me laughing as well. I love watching the closing scenes because they always throw in something that's just freakin' off the wall.
Abed is great. I was sad during the episode that he wrote himself out of except for a cameo. His Batman was magnificent.
Later ya'll.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Community has gotten even better. I love the bits they run after the credits. I have to stop and think about them sometimes (this past episode's riff on character names from television shows was a perfect example). Also, the subtle (and sometimes outright overt) ways in which the writers make you suspect that Abed is aware he's in a television sitcom are inspired. When he was comparing Jeff to Hawkeye Pierce recently, I was laughing my ass off.

I've grown to love Modern Family (Cameron is a comedy god) but if I had to choose a breakout show, it would be Community for me.
He won. Period.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

The MASH stuff was great. Loved Jeff wearing Hawaiian shirts, Abed building a still, and the freeze/credit ending.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
stessier

Post by stessier »

There's very little chance it will be good, but I'm still all in.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel like we should get you help of some sort...
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I was 17 when that show came out - right in their wheelhouse. Seeing that promo - which was pretty well done - was like going home again.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not a licensed psychiatrist, but I feel like your posts are cries for help.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tell me, in single words, only good things about Models Inc.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fall 1990, Thursday night 9-10 (8-9 Central and Mountain)

Surely there were better options than BH90210.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

You're very wrong.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was 18 and in my second year of college. There were better options and they didn't involve TV.

Well, not really, I mean they probably involved a computer monitor and an NES or Amiga.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:06 am You're very wrong.
The first step to wellness is admitting you have a problem. We're here for you, Stess. Now show us on the doll where Ian Ziering touched you.
He won. Period.