Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Baroquen

Re: Running

Post by Baroquen »

Kurth wrote: I do need to run though, as I'm closing in on a long held goal of mine: I've always wanted to run an average of 100 miles a month to get to 1200 in a calendar year. With all the Hood to Coast training, I'm at 880 now so as king as I don't let bad weather (or, knock on wood, injury) get in the way, I am on track to make it this year!
Awesome. I had 1301 last year, but with my 8 weeks of injury rest, I'll be lucky to get 1000 this year.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Training called for a 13 mile run yesterday and I overshot a bit and ended up at 13.59 in 2:04:38 (9:10/mile). Pretty happy with that - it was 61F and I felt pretty good throughout. The only negative was going up a hill with about 0.3 miles to go, I got a stabbing pain in my right big toe. It felt like someone was jabbing needles in it with every step. I walked for 2 minutes trying to stretch with each step and I was able to run the last 0.2 miles with only a little pain. Not exactly sure what was up with that - think my toe nail might have been rubbing on the edge of my shoe, but not positive.

Came home, ate breakfast, and then slept for 3 hours. It's tough getting old. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Grundbegriff wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:I jogged my first 10-miler (ever) last Saturday at a non-taxing 12:12 pace.
11 miles today at 11:50/mi. That was after a lunch at Taco Bell, so I have to assume that 11:30 is within reach.
Nice job!

How in the world do you run after eating? I can only do long runs first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Running on Taco Bell is insane! :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

It was not by choice. Normally I run early in the morning, but I rolled back to evening to avoid the next day's rain.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: How in the world do you run after eating? I can only do long runs first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Running on Taco Bell is insane! :)
Simple. You just need to start 10 miles from the nearest toilet.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I don't think that's what they meant by "Run for the border".
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Finished my first 13.1 event this morning at 2:40. Not fast, but I did what my heart monitor and legs told me they could do. Now I have a number to beat next time.

The course was a beautiful railroad trail in the Allegheny mountains and featured spectacular valley views and a uniform descent of 500 feet over 6.6 miles. Oh, and a uniform ascent over the other 6.6 miles. :shock:

Now I have to decide whether to do another half in October and a third in November, while I'm able.
Last edited by Grundbegriff on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Good job!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Congrats Grund! That sounds like a fun run. Was the first half up and the second half down?
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote:Was the first half up and the second half down?
Down and then up. :grund:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Assholes.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Zaxxon wrote:Assholes.
It was only a 1.5% grade. But to a newb....
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Grundbegriff wrote:Finished my first 13.1 event this morning at 2:40. Not fast, but I did what my heart monitor and legs told me they could do. Now I have a number to beat next time.

The course was a beautiful railroad trail in the Allegheny mountains and featured spectacular valley views and a uniform descent of 500 feet over 6.6 miles. Oh, and a uniform ascent over the other 6.6 miles. :shock:

Now I have to decide whether to do another half in October and a third in November, while I'm able.
That sounds like an awesome first 13.1! Congratulations, Grund! I'm hoping that question about whether to do the half in October and another in November is rhetorical, but just in case, the answer is definitely YES.

As an aside, I took a trip to Eugene, Oregon this past Monday. Visiting Hayward Field at University of Oregon, Bill Bowerman's secret Nike lab in the basement of an old Eugene commercial building, Track Town Pizza, and Pre's rock. It was kind of like a runner's pilgrimage. All of it was super cool, but going to Pre's rock was special.

If you don't know about Steve Prefontaine, I'd highly recommend checking out the excellent documentary, "Fire On the Track".

He was special.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome, Kurth.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Sounds interesting Kurth.

And congrats Grund!
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Kurth wrote:...but going to Pre's rock was special.

If you don't know about Steve Prefontaine, I'd highly recommend checking out the excellent documentary, "Fire On the Track".

He was special.
Geek trivia: What beloved-by-fans PC game includes a tribute to Prefontaine? (The NPC who survives longest, makes the most progress, and puts the most pieces together is named after him.)

(No googling!)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Still trying to run the marathon on 10/29 and was supposed to do a 17 mile run this morning. It was a beautiful 58 degrees at 5am when I began. At mile 3, my MP3 players stopped working. Annoying, but not a deal breaker. At mile 4.25, I tripped over an expansion joint on an overpass. The bridge was dark and the joint was black, so I never saw it sticking about 6" above the sidewalk surface. I went down hard. When I got up and was checking myself out I didn't think it was too bad and then I got under a light and saw blood dripping down my left hand. I had lost a nickle size piece of skin from that palm. I went into an IHOP across the street and asked for a napkin to wipe up. They gave me one but it looked like I scared them even though I was in full glowing clothes, camelbak, and running vest (clearly not looking to do anything nefarious). So I thanked them and left and went to the Hampton Inn next door. The desk worker kindly got me a bandaid and antibacterial ointment and let me use their bathroom to clean up. In there I saw my other hand also got chopped up in a few places, a couple scrapes on my leg, my garmin watch got seriously scraped up, and the skin that I was left on my injured palm looked like hamburger. Oddly didn't hurt so much, which was nice. So I cleaned up and, after a brief thought of finishing, I thought it best to head back to my car - which was now 4.5 miles away. I started walking but eventually ended up running as that 58F that felt so good at the start was now quite cool in a sweat soaked shirt.

So I only went 9 miles today - in two 4.5 mile segments with a fair amount of rest in between. :) Hopefully will be back at it tomorrow and can do 18 miles next weekend.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Yikes! What a miserable run!

Just remember: pain is temporary, but internet race results are forever.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So yesterday was a 5K race in memory of a coworker's daughter who was butchered. It was a nice event, our company was the main sponsor -- I guess this event has been annual for 6 years now, but this year was the first I heard of it (probably because of the corporate backing). One of the IT managers won the woman's division. Me, nearly 5 years removed from a marathon and 2 years from my last race (a half-marathon) was a spectator doing the 1 mile walk instead :oops: (and only half of that since it overlapped with the kids 50 yard dash and I wanted to make sure my son was able to run that).

Yesterday afternoon, my wife asked if we could go running after dinner. I suggested before would be better but she thought we should go later. After dinner, legs felt like lead (mostly from season long 30 mile bike ride on Saturday...I know, such sad shape), we watched a movie then had fire in the pit instead.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

10-mile training run this morning that included running over the same bridge that tried to kill me on Sunday. I gave the expansion joint a long, hard stare as I went by. I think it knows not to try to mess with me again.

Went 10.25 miles at an average pace of 8:58/mile. Run included 90s of walking to eat some energy drops that added 10s/mile to my time at the that point (I was at 8:52/mile before the break and 9:03 after). I was really moving (for me) to get it back under 9:00/mile by the end. It was a nice 62F when I started. A good morning all around.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Marathon 16 (State 14) is now done. Twin Cities Marathon in Minnesota was Sunday. It was a really pleasant race weekend. Transportation was amazingly smooth. Hotel, expo, crowds, finish festival were all very nice. It did rain before the start, and from miles 20-26. At least my shoes didn't get ruined this time. One big blister on my toe has just about healed.

My time wasn't great. It's 50/50 that I'll never get close to my PR again. Or it could be that I really haven't executed a good training plan for the last few marathons because of injury and such. Either way, I'm ok with it. Have to adjust my expectations as I continue. It has been 5 or 6 years since I started doing this.

At this point - I have no race on the horizon. It's weird, as I usually have my next one lined up. For my sanity, have to register for a winter event soon.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Did my 19 mile long run this morning and finished in 3:02:51. A few minutes slower than I wanted, but not too bad. The marathon is in 2 weeks, so this was my last long, long run. Next week it will just be 13 miles as I taper to the race. At mile 13 today, I felt surprisingly spry, so I have high hopes.

So my marathon goals are:
  1. Finish
  2. Faster than 4:30
  3. Under 10 min/mile
  4. Under 4 hours
Goal 1 I think I have in the bag. I've started 2 marathons and only finished one. The one I didn't finish was due to giant, whole foot blisters from new shoes I bought the week before the race. I'm not doing that this time, so barring a fall on the course itself, I'm sure I'll make the distance even if I have to walk the last 7 miles. :)

Goal 2 seems to be within reach. The one marathon I finished I did in 4:46 when I was 28. I was on pace for a four hour finish, but my walk/water break at mile 16 caused me to cramp up and I walked almost the next 4 miles while I tried to stretch out. I'm not sure I can really plan to avoid cramps, but my 19 mile run today shows that if I can go at even an 11 min/mile pace for the last 7, I should be able to beat 4:30.

Goal 3 is really only in play because of the course. The first 13 miles have some small, rolling hills, but from mile 14 to the end it's all down hill. In a perfect world, this will give me the rest I need to keep up a decent pace for longer.

Goal 4 has always been a dream. Probably is this time too. :D
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Sounds like you're ready stessier. As long as there are no unexpected complications, I bet you nail that 4:30 goal, no problem. I used to shoot for under 4:00 finishes, and I had one as recently as a year ago. But I think I have to realistically shift my mindset to 4:15 being the goal. We'll see though. I haven't had good training regimes for my last few races.

For the record - my next marathon/state is set to be Alabama's Mercedes Benz Marathon in February.

I'm in that lazy post-marathon phase, but will crank the miles up soon. And I had a gorgeous 6 mile run outside yesterday. The weather was ideal. Hope it stays mild for more than the next couple weeks.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:03 am Goal 4 has always been a dream. Probably is this time too. :D
Maybe I can try to shame you into reaching your goal? My fat old ass finished my one and only marathon in 4:33 and I was on a sub-4:00 pace until both calves nearly charley horsed simultaneously at the 19 mile mark and took 4 miles to work out by combo running/walking/stretching.

You can do it!
Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:03 am Next week it will just be 13 miles as I taper to the race. At mile 13 today, I felt surprisingly spry, so I have high hopes.
Good luck! Sounds like you're ready. Looking forward to hearing about your experience and result.
So my marathon goals are:
  1. Finish
  2. Faster than 4:30
  3. Under 10 min/mile
  4. Under 4 hours
I'll be doing the Balty Half next Saturday, so I think I'll adapt your goals for my own testudinal effort:
  1. Finish
  2. Faster than 2:30
  3. Under 11 min/mile
  4. Under 2:15
I know I can do the first, and I may be able to do the second. The other two are just artifacts of adapting your list. ;)
The one I didn't finish was due to giant, whole foot blisters from new shoes I bought the week before the race.
That's a very hard way to learn the second law of endurance racing: don't change anything (an imperative growing urgent in proportion to race day's proximity)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Grundbegriff wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:56 pm
The one I didn't finish was due to giant, whole foot blisters from new shoes I bought the week before the race.
That's a very hard way to learn the second law of endurance racing: don't change anything (an imperative growing urgent in proportion to race day's proximity)
The stupid part is I knew better. I had been reading everything I could about marathons for more than a year. I thought I'd be fine because I got the same model (although a new year - the real problem!) and I tried it out the week before on an 8 mile run. Convinced myself any rubbing was incidental. Stupid - stupid - stupid!!! I blame hormones...I had started dating my future wife 4 weeks before the marathon. :)

Good luck with your race and goals! I'm impressed you got in another one so soon after the first.

Okay - advice time.

Issue 1 - I normally run with a camelbak, MP3 player, and use Stinger energy drops every 4 miles. I'm thinking of ditching the camelbak for the marathon, but am concerned because I will lose the pockets it provides to store the energy drops and mp3 player if it dies (nothing worse than trying to run with earbuds in but no sound). I'm also concerned with not having water on demand. I think the water stops are every two miles - which is more often than I use in the beginning but less often than I want by the end. But dumping the weight of 50oz of water and the hassle of dealing with the straps is very appealing. My running shorts have a small pocket, but I don't think I can fit my planned number of drops and certainly won't fit if I have to carry my MP3 player.

Issue 2 - it looks like it's going to be 41F at race time with a high of 66F for the day (but hopefully I'll be done way before it gets that warm - 7:30am start time) . Wouldn't you know it, fall finally arrives and I'm not ready for it. The coldest I've started at so far is 53F and I don't think my clothes will make me comfortable at 41F. I have the proper shirts, but what do people think about getting running tights...10 days before the race? Or do I just find somewhere to huddle until the starting gun and then count on the running to keep my legs warm?

Thoughts?
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:04 pm
Okay - advice time.

Issue 1 - I normally run with a camelbak, MP3 player, and use Stinger energy drops every 4 miles. I'm thinking of ditching the camelbak for the marathon, but am concerned because I will lose the pockets it provides to store the energy drops and mp3 player if it dies (nothing worse than trying to run with earbuds in but no sound). I'm also concerned with not having water on demand. I think the water stops are every two miles - which is more often than I use in the beginning but less often than I want by the end. But dumping the weight of 50oz of water and the hassle of dealing with the straps is very appealing. My running shorts have a small pocket, but I don't think I can fit my planned number of drops and certainly won't fit if I have to carry my MP3 player.

Issue 2 - it looks like it's going to be 41F at race time with a high of 66F for the day (but hopefully I'll be done way before it gets that warm - 7:30am start time) . Wouldn't you know it, fall finally arrives and I'm not ready for it. The coldest I've started at so far is 53F and I don't think my clothes will make me comfortable at 41F. I have the proper shirts, but what do people think about getting running tights...10 days before the race? Or do I just find somewhere to huddle until the starting gun and then count on the running to keep my legs warm?

Thoughts?
Issue 1 - I can't imagine running a marathon with a camelbak. To compensate for lost storage space, I found a pair of shorts with two deep pockets on the side, and a zippered pocket in the back. In addition, I use one of those SPI running belts which can strech and fit my phone, and used to fit my MP3 player when i used to use that. I sympathize regarding the frequency of the water breaks. If they aren't as frequent as I'm used to, it's tough. But I try to use it as motivation to just run to the next water break.

Issue 2 - I tend to dress warmer up top, and usually wear shorts and no tights. That said - 1) the marathon shorts I like with the pockets also come down to nearly my knees, so there's some warmth there, and 2) my races have usually started in the 50s, and the low forties are a different animal. Ultimately - do whatever makes you comfortable, but I would consider getting a pair of throw-away sweats. Keep you warm while you wait and can discard when you warm up. And usually the discarded clothes get donated after anyway.

Just my .02
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When I trained and ran my marathon, I used a belt that held 2 water bottles and had a pocket for things like gel cubes and Gu. I always run with my phone in the pocket of my shorts, or I wear a bike jersey which has pockets in the back. If the music dies, I just take the buds out and listen to myself wheeze. At something like the Chicago Marathon, there is tons of entertainment all along the route and BYO music is virtually unnecessary.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the thoughts.

I haven't actually signed up for the race yet. I missed all the discount dates (wanted to make sure I didn't hurt myself during training), so it doesn't matter if I sign up now or two days before the race - it's all the same price. They are now predicting rain in the afternoon and a low of around 51F and high of 66F. I'm going to wait a few more days before signing up to make sure that rain doesn't move to the morning. I don't have any rain gear and running in the rain in 51F is not going to work.

On the plus side, 51F is downright balmy! I hope that part stays the same at least. :)

This morning I did a 7 mile run in 47F with calm air. I used a long sleeve shirt with a short sleeve over the top and gloves. I took the gloves off around 2 miles in and worked up a pretty good sweat. I think if I started at that temperature in the marathon, I'd only go with the long sleeve shirt and count on the sun to help warm me up (I run at 5am when the sun is a distant memory). My only complaint was the cold caused noticeable discomfort in the shorts area. Basically, shrinkage reached painful levels. Not sure what to do about that except run faster so I'm warmer. :D

I'm still vacillating on the camelbak. I used in on my 19 mile run, so it's not like I can't do it. I don't want to add a running belt at this point due to chafing risks, but I think I'll start training with one after this race so I can be ready. I tried out my shorts pocket and it can fit the energy gels I intend to take, but nothing else. So I'm going to look for a cheap pair of gloves that I can toss along with the cheap sweats. Probably be a game time decision on the camelbak though.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Grundbegriff wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:56 pm I'll be doing the Balty Half next Saturday, so I think I'll adapt your goals for my own testudinal effort:
  1. Finish
  2. Faster than 2:30
  3. Under 11 min/mile
  4. Under 2:15
Achievement unlocked! But only the first one. At 2:45, I fell a few minutes behind my previous result. But I took great liberties with the second half of this race, including a bladder break at 7 miles and walks at the water stations and on some of the late uphills. So I think the fact that I still came within spitting distance of a race I ran last month without stopping means that I'm gaining speed, strength, and endurance.

I have another one in November, and it's fairly flat (in contrast to Balty, which was very hilly in all directions), so I guess we'll see whether this interpretation of my result is correct. Will I break 2:30 in the cold air of late autumn?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Congrats! My first half turned out to be much tougher than my training route so I didn't do as well as I'd have hoped...but like tanking early in bowling, it sets a nice baseline to measure future success.

My wife has a new coworker that is selling a treadmill. One with a MSRP of $2500. She was selling it on Craig's List for $1000, but offered a coworker discount and is selling to us for $800. I cut the check today, hopefully a friend with a pickup truck will come next weekend to help move it. This will get me back in the running game...I'll have no excuse to not do some every day.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Congrats Grundbegriff! There are so many things that can influence the results of a race. Hills always affect me more than I expect, though it seems like it's been more weather impacting my last few races. Good luck on your next one!

People hate treadmills, but I really don't mind running on mine. Watching TV is more entertaining than passing the same old streets in the cold, or wind, or rain. If anything i need to run outdoors more often during training. Good luck with the treadmill Jeff.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:04 pm
Grundbegriff wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:56 pm
The stupid part is I knew better. I had been reading everything I could about marathons for more than a year. I thought I'd be fine because I got the same model (although a new year - the real problem!) and I tried it out the week before on an 8 mile run. Convinced myself any rubbing was incidental. Stupid - stupid - stupid!!! I blame hormones...I had started dating my future wife 4 weeks before the marathon. :)

Good luck with your race and goals! I'm impressed you got in another one so soon after the first.

Okay - advice time.

Thoughts?
Large garbage bags also work as pre-race keep warm clothes. Both my GF and her daughter have used them several time. You can also pick up very cheap sweatshirts on Amazon that you can toss right as the race starts. Generally all you need to do is keep your top warm- your legs will be fine. I once ran a race in the rain and wind which with windchill felt like 45 and only from the waist up was I cold (it was a half). I was miserable even wearing a jacket, water down my neck.

Usually for marathons they have energy sources at least every other stop so that might relieve you of carrying some of your stuff- assuming you know they won't cause you discomfort. I also second perhaps wearing a longer pair of shorts with deeper pockets
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Baroquen wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:21 am People hate treadmills, but I really don't mind running on mine. Watching TV is more entertaining than passing the same old streets in the cold, or wind, or rain. If anything i need to run outdoors more often during training. Good luck with the treadmill Jeff.
Last month I gave up my LA Fitness membership -- I hadn't gone in a year. When I did go, I'd spend most of my time on the treadmill. I do prefer running outside, but not leaving the 4 year old to care for the 1 year old while I'm out is probably considered " good parenting."

FWIW, I generally listen to audiobooks when running outside or on treadmill.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Congrats Grund - finishing is always an achievement! One race a month is quite the pace. What was the inspiration?

My training run on Sunday was a 13 miler in calm air and around 58F. I worked late the night before and slept in a bit so I didn't start until 7:15am - meaning I got to run the whole thing in daylight. What a pleasant change! The dark can be nice (seeing stars never gets old), but the trip hazards make the runs harder than I'd prefer. :) Finished in 1:55:45. Three more training runs and then the race on Saturday. The rest of the training will be done on a treadmill as a storm front is dumping a ton of rain on us and the air behind it is cold (~39F lows for the next couple of days). Here's hoping it warms up before the race! Current weather prediction - 47F at race start with a high of 68F and overcast. I can work with that.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Both races I ran in the Philippines started pre-dawn (out of necessity...it doesn't take long for it to get miserably hot).

When I first took up running, it was late fall and I except for weekends, all my runs were at night Although I was living in a well-lit suburb, one night I was wearing all black and nearly got run over! The lady actually chased me down to apologize!

Once I get back in the groove, I can run a well-lit bike path parallel to a to a road unbothered by traffic for probably 4 miles round-trip. A 5th mile through the well-lit subdivision isn't unpossible and if I ever get back to 7 mile nightly runs adjacent subdivisions should accommodate. Urban streets and sidewalks were much more dangerous.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Whelp, I just registered. There's a 15% change of rain at the start that increases to 55% by noon (4.5 hours after the start). If everyone would please think dry thoughts... :)

I also found the aid station list - quite a bit further spaced than I was expecting. Definitely taking the camelbak for this.
The Swamp Rabbit Marathon has 10 aid stations:
Miles 1.7, 4.0, 8.0, 10.0, 13.1, 15.0, 18.2, 21, 23, & 25.2
All aid stations will have a choice of water or green (lemon lime) Gatorade.

The Swamp Rabbit Marathon is a BYON race - BRING YOUR OWN NUTRITION! We do not hand out gel or energy bars, except at packet pick up. Only sub-humans can run well without refueling, so pack a bar or two.
If anyone is interested, this is how the course is described.
Spoiler:
The Swamp Rabbit Marathon consists of:
Furman Loop #1 (miles 1 to 3)
T.R. Out and Back (miles 4 to 15)
Furman Loop #2 (miles 16 to 19)
Furman to Greenville (mile 20 to Finish)

Furman Loop #1 has many turns. The course takes you through the middle of campus, around the lake, back through the middle of campus, then north out the back gate.
T.R. Out and Back takes you through the Green Valley area and is relatively hilly up to mile 10. Mile 10 is the north terminus of the Swamp Rabbit Trail and the elevation graph starts to flatten out once you hit the trail. The midway point of the race and relay hand off point is at or near the City Gazebo in downtown Travelers Rest. After passing the gazebo, you are about 2.5 miles from the Furman back gate.

Furman Loop #2 has many turns. The course takes you back through North Housing along the same route (but in the opposite direction) as before. When you get to the Library, you will take a left and head toward the stadium. After looping around the stadium, you will make your way back to the Library, then follow the same route around the lake as before. At the dam, you will leave Furman and get on the SRT heading toward Greenville.

Furman to Greenville is arguably the only point-to-point part of the race. It is a net downhill and there is no climbing except for a steep railroad overpass on Washington Street at mile 23.5 and the gradual rise on River Street and S. Main to the finish. We always get hate mail about the railroad bridge, but it saves runners from getting stopped by a train, which has happened twice in the past.
I wish I had a cell phone that could handle apps - they allow live free tracking and throwing it in the camelbak would be quite easy.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:25 pmOne race a month is quite the pace. What was the inspiration?
Strike while the iron's hot, as measured by the inverse of knee pain?

Furman's brother was apparently the baby daddy of one of my 5x-great grandfathers.
stessier

Post by stessier »

T-12.5 hours to race start. All packed and ready to go. Weather forecast is 51F at start with overcast skies. Rain percentage starts at 15% at 7:30am and ramps up to 90% at 1pm...in case I needed extra motivation to shoot for a PR.

Tweaked my left ankle a bit last night. Don't think it will be an issue, but it is a bit annoying. Doing a lot of stretching and massaging to keep it loose. 45 minutes until bedtime. Woo-hoo!
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

May the force be with you.