Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Running

Post by Jeff V »

I've tried two wireless earbuds in the past 4 months, one simply did not fit at all, and the other falls out when I get sweaty. Plus, they only last about 2 hours on a full charge, making them inadequate for long runs, bike rides, and plus I have to be diligent about keeping them charged up. I just found some unused Samsung wired earbuds that my baby uncovered while looting my desk drawer the other day, so I'll just use those for a while. The wire doesn't hit the cord on the treadmill because I keep the phone in my pocket where it can register my running. The phone also has HRM features; but it's rather cumbersome to use on the fly so I usually only check it when I finish my run. I had a cheap Polar with the chest strap, I still have it and assume it still works, but the thing ate batteries like crazy (like every other run) and it was a pain in the ass to put in new batteries. I'll contemplate a new HRM if and when I ever have an opportunity to resume a regular training regimen.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

i have tried nearly every earbud under the sun and without a doubt the best pair i have used is the pair that comes with the Samsung Galaxy phones. I've tried dozens of others. Cheap and expensive.

They might move around a bit when sweating, but the sound quality is really nice.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Xmann wrote:i have tried nearly every earbud under the sun and without a doubt the best pair i have used is the pair that comes with the Samsung Galaxy phones. I've tried dozens of others. Cheap and expensive.

They might move around a bit when sweating, but the sound quality is really nice.
I actually do like them and should look into buying them ala carte. Wired earbuds just don't last long for some reason -- before long, I get annoying cutouts on one side.

The best I ever had were Shure, but I had once got an extraordinary deal paying $185 for $400 list earbuds. If ever I found a similar deal, I'd be all over it.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Xmann wrote:i have tried nearly every earbud under the sun and without a doubt the best pair i have used is the pair that comes with the Samsung Galaxy phones. I've tried dozens of others. Cheap and expensive.
I'll second that...those are the only earbuds I can use without my ears hurting for hours, I've bought a bunch of extras just in case I lose them. They even work well on planes (it does seem to make a good "seal" in the ear, so it does keep more noise out than regular earbuds or cheap over-the-ear headphones).

When I run outside, I use them with an old-fashioned Sansa MP3 player (which doesn't have bluetooth) - I hate running but I have to try and do it :) I use a GymBoss interval timer, so with that thing clipped to my belt I'd rather bring along a small light MP3 player and not the smartphone.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

I had been using just the regular Samsung buds, but got tired of them falling out or shifting during my runs so I switched to some wireless ones. I went with the Plantronics Backbeat Fit, which are kind of "over the ear" ear buds. They fit great, are super comfortable, with reasonably good sound quality. They were a little pricey ($90) but I figured I'd be using them for a while so the investment was worth it.

Finished up week 6 of my C25k training program today. It culminated in a 22 minute run with no walking and it went great. Finished it feeling stronger then the 20 minute run the week before. Next week is three 25 minute runs, which should be fun!
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon posting on FB about going running this morning inspired me to get off my lazy ass and go to the gym. I'm continuing my program of increasing the torture speed intervals; today completing 6.3 miles in an hour.

I'll try to manage the same tomorrow if I can ditch the baby with my wife. The baby prison is closed on Sunday.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Louisiana Marathon was a success. A fun trip, and a new PR by about 4 minutes. I was exhausted at the end, so much so that I was sure I missed it. Only bad news coming out of the trip was that my old Garmin died. I'll have to look into some sort of replacement now.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Congrats on the race! Sounds like you did it right...if you have a sprint left in you at the end, that means you were dogging it all along. :)
Black Lives Matter
wanderingoutlaw

Post by wanderingoutlaw »

Congratulations on the marathon PR!

Sorry to hear about the Garmin dying. Let us know what you get to replace the Garmin. I'm expecting mine (a forerunner 305) to die this year--just cause I'm pessimistic and my prior Garmin only lasted about as long as this one has--and am not sure what I'd get as a replacement.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

I've now finished the C25k program and I'm currently running a 5k 3x a week, with one day being a bit longer to start building distance. I'll do this for the next week or so with no major adjustments because I'm going out of town soon. Once I'm back, however, I'm going to start an 8-week training plan to get to 10k. My first official 5k race is scheduled for March 12th and I'm definitely looking forward to it. I ran a personal best 5k of 32 mins this morning so hopefully the race will go really well. Any tips yall have for someone running a real race for the first time?
To my Wife:

Not to my Wife:

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

godhugh wrote:Any tips yall have for someone running a real race for the first time?
Don't sweat it. Don't start in the front, but don't start in the back with the walkers either. Don't let adrenaline make you run faster than you are ready to run. You will run a bit faster anyway, but don't be a rabbit. The timer doesn't start until you cross the start line so don't be pushing to get there when the gun goes off.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

How large is the race? If it's a big one where the participants are corralled by anticipated times, make sure you are in the appropriate group. My first race was a small 5K that was sponsored by a convention I was attending in New Orleans -- I started out trying to keep up with much faster runners that were all around me and was quickly gassed. It didn't help that I was sick with a respiratory infection and couldn't run most of two weeks leading up to the race. My only other advice would be don't walk -- once you stop running, it's very difficult to get restarted.
Black Lives Matter
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Jeff V wrote:How large is the race? If it's a big one where the participants are corralled by anticipated times, make sure you are in the appropriate group. My first race was a small 5K that was sponsored by a convention I was attending in New Orleans -- I started out trying to keep up with much faster runners that were all around me and was quickly gassed. It didn't help that I was sick with a respiratory infection and couldn't run most of two weeks leading up to the race. My only other advice would be don't walk -- once you stop running, it's very difficult to get restarted.
This first one isn't too big. A few hundred people maybe? It's being put on by a group that does a ton of races around the area, but it's the first year that this specific one will be held.

I'm registered for the Firefly Run at the end of March as well (night run where everyone has glowsticks and other such things to light the way) and that will be a couple thousand people.
To my Wife:

Not to my Wife:

disarm

Post by disarm »

I haven't posted here in a long time because I really fell off the running wagon, but my wife and I jumped back on in a big way this weekend...

We just finished the Glass Slipper Challenge at Disney World this morning...ran the Enchanted 10k yesterday morning, and the Princess Half-Marathon today!

We covered 19.3 miles in 24 hours, with barely any preparation...wasn't easy, but determination got us to the end. Neither of us had run a half-marathon since November 2013, and I hadn't done more than 5 miles since Thanksgiving weekend 2014. In fact, our longest runs in the last year haven't broken 5k.

It's not the way I would recommend running a race, but we're glad to have done it. Now I'm just dreading how I'll probably feel tomorrow...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Congrats for making it through to the end. Even if you once comfortably ran that distance, not training for it does make it exponentially more difficult, as I found out last fall.

We had unreasonably warm weather this weekend -- and I got stuck home with a sick baby. :(
disarm

Post by disarm »

I actually feel pretty good today...no soreness in legs yet, but I do have some brutal plantar fascia pain in one foot. Unfortunately, I had problems with minor plantar fasciitis over the summer, and running seems to have instantly flared it up again. On the upside, I know how to treat it and will hopefully be better soon.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

disarm wrote:I haven't posted here in a long time because I really fell off the running wagon, but my wife and I jumped back on in a big way this weekend...

We just finished the Glass Slipper Challenge at Disney World this morning...ran the Enchanted 10k yesterday morning, and the Princess Half-Marathon today!

We covered 19.3 miles in 24 hours, with barely any preparation...wasn't easy, but determination got us to the end. Neither of us had run a half-marathon since November 2013, and I hadn't done more than 5 miles since Thanksgiving weekend 2014. In fact, our longest runs in the last year haven't broken 5k.

It's not the way I would recommend running a race, but we're glad to have done it. Now I'm just dreading how I'll probably feel tomorrow...

Did you buy any of the Disney exclusive running shoes? My daughter wants several pairs that they have like crazy. She signed up for the marathon just to be able to buy the shoes.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Cortilian wrote:
disarm wrote:I haven't posted here in a long time because I really fell off the running wagon, but my wife and I jumped back on in a big way this weekend...

Did you buy any of the Disney exclusive running shoes? My daughter wants several pairs that they have like crazy. She signed up for the marathon just to be able to buy the shoes.
No shoes because neither myself or my wife like to wear New Balance when we run, and we're not into collecting them. They do have some nice looking designs this year though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's awesome, Disarm (and godhugh); congrats.

On my own running front, I have gotten largely back into the routine and broke 7 miles in < 1 hour this past Saturday for the first time in awhile. Not sure what my goal is right now, other than weight loss (haven't signed up for any races as of right now). I will likely try to find a summer/fall half-marathon.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I need to drop an assload just so I can make a 6.5 mph pace at the Shamrock Shuffle in 6 weeks. 4 days a week at the gym might do it, one day a week (my current pace since Jan 1) will not. It doesn't help that the kid has been getting sick more frequently of late -- I took him to the gym on Friday, he had a fever later that evening and I was stuck home during the one-and-done spring day on Saturday. :( (hoped to get the bike out, but no....) We'll see if I have the energy to have at it tonight...two nights of little to no sleep doesn't bode well, but the gym bag is packed and in the car.
Black Lives Matter
wanderingoutlaw

On Feb 27, I returned to the Black Mountain Marathon, which I ran last year. Less snow this year on the trails, but more ice and mud. Finished in 6:19, a few minutes slower than last year. Felt better than I ever have after a marathon, though.

This year I did not run another marathon the week after. I volunteered as a course monitor this year--much easier on the feet.

Last year, I lost all running motivation after the two marathons and didn't run much. This year, I seem to be more motivated and should keep up with consistent running.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Congrats! Sounds like challenging conditions -- as if running that far needs any environmental challenge to make it more difficult! Good luck maintaining your mojo throughout the year...I wish I could find mine again.

No plans to run another race this year after the Shamrock Shuffle in another month -- because of wife's insane schedule, I have to care for the baby much of the time and now he's wearing out his welcome at the gym, where he's gotten into fights the last two times there (one of the wardens added, "but he's still my favorite...he's so cute I can't stay mad at him.") My irregular running is just not conducive to finding a comfortable groove, and after back-to-back days last week, I was unable to step up to the hamster wheel on day 3. I need to run outside, but there's almost no time in the course of the week where my wife is home AND able to watch the kid long enough for me to do so.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Urge to run fading with the only race I'm likely to run this year just 6 days away.

It's not that I'd have any problem with the distance (won't be a stellar time, though), but other things sapping my enthusiasm. When I signed up for it last fall, I registered both me and my wife; it was to be the first race we ran together in this country. But she started a new job in November, and has not managed to establish any shift-swapping arrangements with the other night team and she works all weekend. That means I'll have to roust the baby at 5 am, drop in at the sitter, drive downtown, pay to park then wait queued up for an hour or more in temps currently forecast to be in the mid-20's at race time.

I'll wait and see how the week progresses. The packet-pickup might motivate me (it did coming off a leg infection in Cebu 4 years ago), and it's possible that a group of runners at work will show some organizational initiative and provide some encouragement. I haven't run outside since a half-marathon in November, but I'll still hit the hamster wheel at least a few times this week.
Black Lives Matter
wanderingoutlaw

Jeff, that does sound rather unmotivating. Whether at this race or not, I hope you're able to start running outdoors soon.

Last year at this time is when my motivation completely dropped away and I ran infrequently for five or six months--I ran less than 10 miles last April! This year, I'm part of a year long team running competition on a running website and I've rejoined the local running club, where I need to run eight club-affiliated races during the year to receive the participation award (which are usually practical--like a nice running bag that I still use). I'm already signed up for one race in three weeks and have several that I'll be registering with soon. Hopefully I'll see stessier again in June at the Sunrise Run and will be able to finish closer to him this year.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sounds awesome! I nearly joined a running club a few years ago, right before my wife came to this country. I decided to hold off and see if still seemed like a good idea the following spring. Like now, she was pregnant by then, and ever since I've had little time to call my own. Even the gym is limited to the restricted schedule of the wardens in the baby prison. I'm expecting to go after work today as my wife will be dropping him off by my job on her way to school. Wednesday I'll pick him from the sitter and go to the gym as well; but once or twice a week is often the best I can manage.

If things go according to plan, next year might offer a bit of respite. It is anticipated my mother-in-law will come for 6 months, and yesterday my wife offered the possibility she might apply for a 6 month extension, so could be all year. If so, obstacles will temporarily be lifted and I should get in a few half-marathons at the very least. Otherwise, I expect most of my exercise this summer will come in bicycling form.
Black Lives Matter
wanderingoutlaw

Jeff, did you run in the race or take the day off?

I've got a race coming up this Saturday. We run a few blocks to and then down into the bottom of a local quarry and then back up. I ran it last year using a friend's bib. This year I signed up to do the "double" where I turn around at the top and go back down for a second down and up. The quarry is appx. 450' deep and a single run down and up is around 3.4 miles. The double will be about 6.1 miles. As it's an active quarry, the course gets a little deeper and longer each year.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I begged off on the race. I've done that one so many times there was really nothing to prove, it was 26 degrees in the morning (and warmed to the mid-70's by late afternoon, well after the frigid race though). I probably would have gone through with it if I didn't also have to deal with the extra hassle of getting the baby up, fed, and dropped of at my nephew's house. Too much to do, too little benefit. I did run the distance two days before, and each of the next two days after, though.

The quarry race sounds painful. :) Most of my running is on flat ground, but I can handle easy hills okay. Near my house, there's a bike path that runs along the DuPage River and the river itself is in a rather steep valley at the point of entry. Last fall when training for a half-marathon, I ran down to that path, intending to emerge several miles upriver where the slope was more gradual. The trail, however, was flooded in both directions, and trying to run up and out of the steep roads where I entered just killed me.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

The Chicago Marathon sent out lottery notices for this year's race. And I'm in! Marathon number 12, (and state #11 +DC) is all lined up for Oct. 2016!

:dance:

But first, I've got the New Jersey Marathon next weekend. And just finished the Disney Dark Side Challenge (10k & Half) last weekend. It's been a busy running month.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Baroquen wrote:The Chicago Marathon sent out lottery notices for this year's race. And I'm in!
Awesome! I'll be about 1 month post-baby then so I can't commit to anything at the moment, but if possible, perhaps we can meet for some post-race celebration.

I still don't know when I'll get a chance to run outside again. My time is just not my own, and whenever I'm not working, I'm caring for the kid. The best I can manage is the hamster wheel at the gym, which I (1) simply cannot do for more than an hour, tops and (2) find it exceedingly uncomfortable starting around the 15 minute mark thanks to no air circulation. But I pay extra to stash the kid in the baby prison, so something is better than nothing I guess. But I'd like to get out and do a 10 mile road/trail run weekly...maybe later this summer after my wife quits her job.
Black Lives Matter
wanderingoutlaw

Baroquen wrote:The Chicago Marathon sent out lottery notices for this year's race. And I'm in!
Congratulations! I should try for that one year while my uncle still lives there (so I'd have a place to stay).

Enjoy your New Jersey marathon next week.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My wife told me there was a Spartan Team thing on TV this week so given the lack of stuff to watch I checked it out. It made me miss the Warrior Dash that I last ran around 2013(?). Yesterday, I decided to see if there was going to be a Spartan event anywhere nearby. Yep, there is one... in 3 days (2 days now, duh). Hmmm there are still slots open. Ooh, only afternoon slots open. Damn it's expensive and I'll probably be solo because of the short notice, the cost and the heat (high of 98 Saturday with humidity to spare). I signed up for it.

I have been running 3-5 miles twice a week for the past month or so after taking the winter off and am just starting to get my endurance back. I was doing 9 milers without much trouble (or speed) then. I haven't done any strength training in over a year. I am screwed, but I'm going to finish it (or get to take a CareFlite).

Up until yesterday my only goal was to run a decent 5k in November, now I have a shorter term goal and I am only a little freaked out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Good luck with that, Coop! My running has become non-existent and I should probably suspend my gym membership again until fall (except that it's something to take the kid to on days when we can't do anything outside if we can manage the limited baby prison hours). I still haven't run outside since a half-marathon last November. :oops:
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Good luck with the Spartan, Coop. Those are a ton of fun. I did one once back in Boston and had a blast.

With a small break for a nagging injury, my running has been pretty consistent. Not surprisingly, it actually increased since last summer when I took a job at Nike and moved out to the Portland area. I haven't run many races, but I've got one scheduled for the end of the summer I'm training for, and it's going to be a big one: The 2016 Hood to Coast Relay.
The Mother of All Relays!

DATES: August 26 - 27, 2016
TOTAL TEAMS: 1,050 teams of 12 runners (min. 8)
RACE COURSE: Hood To Coast is 198 miles long. See Course Maps for more about the route
TOTAL PARTICIPANTS: The 2016 event will include 12,600 runners and 3,600 volunteers
ORIGIN: HTC began in 1982 with 8 teams and has filled the team cap on the opening day of registration for the last 18 years straight!
Wish me luck!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
wanderingoutlaw

Enjoy the Spartan race, Coop!

Kurth, hope you enjoy the Hood to Coast relay, the most well known relay. Didn't realize it had that many teams! I've run a couple of local (South Carolina) relays, and volunteered for three (SC & NC). I'll probably be on an ultra (6-person) team in March.

I just completed an "experiment" of 5 races in 6 weeks--the most amount of racing I've ever done in that amount of time. I think I needed more base training to run well for all five races. I ran a 10k (51:06--went pretty well), a mile (6:47--about what I expected), a 12k (1:07:17--really hilly--placed 2nd in age group), a week off, a 5k (27:00--totally fell apart after the first mile--very disappointing), and an 8k this past Saturday (40:46--a new PR, so I was pretty happy). I guess stessier isn't running right now, because he didn't run the 8k this year.

Now that my racing is over, I've hit the summer lull, where I have a hard time motivating myself to run.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The stuff you guys are doing makes me feel a bit less crazy (when I ignore the fact you all train better).

I couldn't get any of my friends to join me on the Spartan, but I did get my kids excited for the kids races so it will be a family event. That only became an option when I figured out the race was actually set up inside AT&T Stadium (alternatively Jerry-world or that big place where the Cowboys play). I am not sure the whole Sprint will be inside, but part of it will be, which means I can stay out of the sun for a bit anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Good luck Coop! My kids are only just starting to be intrigued about the running thing. 1 mile fun runs are about their limit at this point.

Kurth - that relay sounds awesome. Good luck with it! Hope it's a great experience.

Not much going on with my running at the moment. I've got an eight month streak of logging 100+ miles. I'm a bit behind for June, but should be able to make up the difference now that school's out for me.

Also, I'm about 16 weeks out from my next marathon so need to start actually training for that. Then, need to pick a state for a winter race. Last year, I knocked off Louisiana. Will probably look at another southern state.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Baroquen wrote:Good luck Coop! My kids are only just starting to be intrigued about the running thing. 1 mile fun runs are about their limit at this point.
Speaking of which, if your kids are at all interested in running - or if you just want to get them moving - check out this new program Nike is sponsoring: Marathon Kids.

It's an incentive-based, grass roots program designed to get kids out running and active. The goal is to have them run four marathons over the course of a year, but they do it in an incremental fashion. So they and their coach log their miles each time they run , and each time they add up to 26.2, they get acknowledgement and a prize (shirt, bracelet, water bottle, etc). You can find a club near you or start and coach your own. I'm planning on starting one in my neighborhood, and it looks like they make it very easy to set it up (they provide you with lots and lots of materials, from sign-up firms to flyers to brochures to planned workouts specifically tailored for kids at different levels . . .).

Anyway, thought some of you might find this of interest!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

11 minute video hack of my somewhat more than 11 minute spartan run (GoProd chest-cam footage):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mM1T6CyDMY

Finished in 1:13:09. I think it was supposed to be 4 miles. When we weren't doing obstacles we were climbing or descending stairs all the time. Even at 16x oin the video, a LOT of time is spent on the stairs.

45th of 226 in my age group, 547 of 2806 overall. I move up an age group next year so maybe that will improve :P

It made the warrior dash seem like a walk in the park. So many strength obstacles. I am feeling surprisingly good today though.
Last edited by coopasonic on Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Nice work, Coop! And, yeah, that's a lot of stairs!!!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Congrats Coop! That's something I don't think I'll ever do. :)