Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Vorret

Re: Running

Post by Vorret »

Did 5.09 in 33:23 on Monday, first 5KM for me so far and it was after a somewhat heavy session at the gym so I think I could have made it a bit faster fully rested. Can't run tonight but I'm going again after the gym tomorrow!
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Kurth wrote:Did my first half in 5 years this past weekend (only my second actual half marathon race). I got a PR, so I'm happy to report that 42+ me is faster than 38 year old me! :horse:

Next up, Hood To Coast on 8/25-8/26.
Another victory for the olds!
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

So... until this week, I needed a brief walking interval or two during a multi-mile run, but this week I seem to be past that. Thanks to the heart monitor, I was able to meet my goals without stopping. It enables me to calibrate my cadence so that my heart stays a good hop below its max. To my surprise, it's possible to cruise at that altitude for quite a while.

I'm introducing Skittles for the long run this Saturday, on the theory that a dozen or so at the midpoint will replenish carbs in a difference-making way.

Starting to feel as if it's actually going to be fun rather than pain!

Moved from cotton to Under Armour knockoffs, too, for all running duds. Lightweight, "wicking" fabric actually seems to make a difference.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Grundbegriff wrote: Starting to feel as if it's actually going to be fun rather than pain!
Good luck with that. The "fun" part always eluded me.
Kurth wrote:Did my first half in 5 years this past weekend (only my second actual half marathon race). I got a PR, so I'm happy to report that 42+ me is faster than 38 year old me! :horse:

Next up, Hood To Coast on 8/25-8/26.
Congrats! I hit my PR at age 49. If only my running regime didn't completely collapse after my only marathon a year later, I might have set a few more.

I am cautiously optimistic that with my MiL coming for the next 6 months to a year, I'll be able to train back up doing another half. The training will have to be largely uninterrupted -- the erratic training before my last half led to such an unpleasant experience that any sort of repeat would have me bagging it for good.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Grundbegriff wrote:So... until this week, I needed a brief walking interval or two during a multi-mile run, but this week I seem to be past that. Thanks to the heart monitor, I was able to meet my goals without stopping. It enables me to calibrate my cadence so that my heart stays a good hop below its max. To my surprise, it's possible to cruise at that altitude for quite a while.
Congrats on the improvement!
I'm introducing Skittles for the long run this Saturday, on the theory that a dozen or so at the midpoint will replenish carbs in a difference-making way.
How long is the run? I never used Skittles, but did use Gu Energy when I went above 10 miles (longer than 1.5 hours). It made a difference for me.
Moved from cotton to Under Armour knockoffs, too, for all running duds. Lightweight, "wicking" fabric actually seems to make a difference.
Yes, it really does. I was a skeptic at first, but once I tried it I never looked back.

I've started kinda/sorta training for a marathon in October. I've planned my runs but I'm trying to trick my body into not noticing I'm training for a marathon because my last three attempts ended with me hurting myself. I haven't signed up for it yet, but if I'm still going strong in mid-September, I will. This weekend is a 10-miler. My daily runs are between 6-7 miles, so it's not too far outside my comfort zone yet.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

stessier wrote:
How long is the run? I never used Skittles, but did use Gu Energy when I went above 10 miles (longer than 1.5 hours). It made a difference for me.
7 miles this Saturday, 8 the next, and so on. I haven't tried Gu, and it sounds unpleasant. But if they're passing them out at the event, I'll probably grab one.
I've started kinda/sorta training for a marathon in October. I've planned my runs but I'm trying to trick my body into not noticing I'm training for a marathon because my last three attempts ended with me hurting myself. I haven't signed up for it yet, but if I'm still going strong in mid-September, I will. This weekend is a 10-miler. My daily runs are between 6-7 miles, so it's not too far outside my comfort zone yet.
As an experienced runner with lots of fancy equipment, have you seen your maximum heart rate decrease over time as you've become more conditioned? I know it's common for the resting to slow down in folks who run a lot, but I never hear about the upper end.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Grundbegriff wrote: As an experienced runner with lots of fancy equipment, have you seen your maximum heart rate decrease over time as you've become more conditioned? I know it's common for the resting to slow down in folks who run a lot, but I never hear about the upper end.
For me, both resting heart rate and active heart rate have come down a lot. I remember running 5Ks way back when and seeing my heart rate up in the mid 170s to low 180s. Now, I rarely hit 170 and am usually down in the mid 150s to low 160s. And that's holding all other things equal (not pace necessarily, but effort).

Also, two other running related items.

First, I've run a lot of 5Ks since I started running 10+ years ago, but I hit a PR today! After getting two 10+ mile runs in earlier this week, I headed out today for a 5K just planning to recover a bit. But once I got out there, I felt really good and fell into a groove. As I was finishing up, I realized it was my best ever 5K time. I'm feeling really good to be hitting my stride as I start to get closer to mid-40s than early 40s! :D

Second, if anyone is looking for a new running shoe, I could not recommend the new Nike Zoom Flys any more strongly. These are the consumer version of the shoe Nike developed for the Breaking 2 runners (the just barely missed attempt to break the 2 hour marathon barrier). There's a lot of technology in these shoes, but until you try them, you won't understand how they feel. They have a carbon-infused nylon plate that runs the full length of the shoe, and that plate, combined with the excellent foam cushioning, almost pulls you forward. Nike calls it a "propulsive effect," and I definitely know what they're getting at. Without a doubt, after putting 250 or so miles on a pair of Zoom Flys, I say that the shoe has improved my pace and my recovery. They may be a little sub-par in durability (just retired the first pair), and they're not cheap, but they are so worth it!

If you're interested, check out some other reviews. Their are plenty, including this one from Road Trail Run.

Post if you end up picking up a pair. I'd love to know what other OOers think of these shoes!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Heart rate is also a function of age. As you get older, your max will naturally go down. Numbers easily reached in younger years will become stressful, and if you try to sustain the 190's of your youth, your heart might just say "fuck this" and explode.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Grundbegriff wrote: I haven't tried Gu, and it sounds unpleasant.
That is not an uncommon opinion. I've also tried Clif Shot. I think my "favorites" are orange Gu and vanilla Clif Shot - but it's not something I'd ever use for fun and I need to take them with copious amounts of water. I'm thinking of trying the jelly bean versions for this training - much less messy.
As an experienced runner with lots of fancy equipment, have you seen your maximum heart rate decrease over time as you've become more conditioned? I know it's common for the resting to slow down in folks who run a lot, but I never hear about the upper end.
I sadly don't have much high tech - or really any. I use a Garmin 305 watch circa 2008. It mates with a chest strap heart rate monitor, but I used it twice and had too much trouble keeping it from sliding down, so I stopped using it. Maybe I should give it another shot.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Congrats on the PRs Kurth! I had a string of PRs a couple years ago, in my early 40s, but it's been a rough stretch more recently. Hopefully I get back to better times in 2018.

Energy chews - I like the sports beans, the Clif Shot Bloks, tried the Gatorade chews as a race hand-out and they were ok. My favorites might be the Powerbar Energy Blasts. They're like a sweet chewy candy about the size of a lifesaver, with a flavor in the center. (I forget which flavors I like.. I buy them at the race expos).

Shoes - I'm currently in Saucony Guide 10s at the moment. I like them, and have gone through a few pairs. But I'm always looking at different shoes, so I'll probably take a look at those Nikes that you mentioned. Will let you know if I pick them up.

I haven't done any serious heart rate stuff in years, so I can't speak to that.

And yes, the wicking/athletic clothes are amazing. Under Armour is pretty big locally, and they used to do the softest shirts for the Baltimore Running Festival. I loved those shirts. (The current ones aren't the same material). But yeah - I've tried to run in cotton once or twice in recent years, and it is not a good thing.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I survived this morning's 7 mile run, which was officially the longest I've ever run without stopping or walking.

I feel beat up, and slightly skeptical that I'll be going nearly twice that far in six weeks.

Skittles are too hard to eat while moving. Risk of choking seems high. I'll be investigating alternatives.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'd check out cllf shot bloks. They're not exactly Skittles, but they are much closer than a gel would be.

And congrats on the longest run. For me at least, getting to 7 or 8 miles is more than half the battle. Once you can go that far without feeling like you'll collapse, it's easy (relatively speaking) to bump that distance up a bit each week.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Thanks for the tips. One more question-- is it normal for the legs to detach and fall away during the afternoon of a long morning run?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

For me it's two days later and typically happens when attempting to descend stairs.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Anyone recommend a inexpensive HRM? Anyone had any luck with the wrist based ones (watch-like) or should I just stick with a chest strap. Like to keep the price under $100 for a chest strap, I don't mind spending a bit more on a multi-function wrist device. I barely qualify as a hobbyist at this point so not looking to spend tons of cash on the latest FitBit or Apple device. It's mostly just curiosity at this point and pushing some limits.

I became super sedentary this past year and decided I wanted to rectify that by joining another Muay Thai class, running started as simply a means to get my cardio back up, then became an agreement to join a 5k Terrain Run with some co-workers. Was doing the couch to 5K religiously for about 3 months and got as far as week 8. Had to repeat week 6 one time. Made some good progress, week before I started week one I could barely run to the end of my block. I then realized I was running incredibly slow to even hit the 25 minute mark, picked up a cheap metronome to see if I could increase my pace and still hit the 30 minute time. First day out I set it to 170 BPM, as recommended by a few youtube videos, and I used to run my 3 mile PFT around 6:20 m/m figured 8:00 m/m was cake. First mile went okay never made it to the full second mile, what a difference 20 years makes :D . Dropped down to 160 BPM and after 3 or 4 runs am able to reliably hit 23 minutes, trying to inch my way back up toward 30. In the past I always kept my cardio up by staying active in the gym doing aerobic movements, jumping rope, speed bag, heavy back, focus mitts, never did the running thing. I just don't get how people can run for miles and miles with relative ease, beginning to think I am just not genetically disposed to running. Even though I seem to be making progress I don't think my running is improving, just my ability to endure discomfort for longer periods of time :shock: , my lungs start wheezing within 10 minutes unless I am moving at a snails pace. Oh and WTF does "comfortably hard" mean? Tried doing a tempo run today to mix things up, recommendation for beginners was 6 1000 meter splits with a 60 second rest between at a "comfortably hard" pace. Since I don't know what comfortably hard equates too I set my BPM pace to 155 (160 isn't very comfortable) but only managed 5 intervals. That was the other reason I am looking for a HRM, to try and gauge my "tempo pace". Running is so much simpler when your a kid and you just, you know, run.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Tao wrote:Anyone recommend a inexpensive HRM? Anyone had any luck with the wrist based ones (watch-like) or should I just stick with a chest strap.
I have found this HRM to be a good deal. It pairs painlessly with my Garmin step watch, though I don't know if its ANT+ protocol is proprietary. Perhaps it can be used with products from other vendors. In any case, it's cheap and effective.
Tao wrote:picked up a cheap metronome to see if I could increase my pace and still hit the 30 minute time. First day out I set it to 170 BPM
I use some of the songs from Unreal Tournament.
I used to run my 3 mile PFT around 6:20 m/m figured 8:00 m/m was cake. First mile went okay never made it to the full second mile, what a difference 20 years makes :D
Indeed. My approach was to determine my max heart rate, figure out my quintile "zones", and then just stay near 80% of max and not worry about pace. I find that if I follow what my heart can take and set aside the numbers game, I can endure a much longer run (relative to my early efforts). Following that technique, I ran 7 miles nonstop last Saturday and was comfortable, if wet, at the end. This is a big change over my earlier experiences, which usually ended with my lying on the ground gasping for breath and failing to cool down.
my lungs start wheezing within 10 minutes unless I am moving at a snails pace.
Gastropodia for the win!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Tao wrote:Anyone recommend a inexpensive HRM? Anyone had any luck with the wrist based ones (watch-like) or should I just stick with a chest strap. Like to keep the price under $100 for a chest strap, I don't mind spending a bit more on a multi-function wrist device. I barely qualify as a hobbyist at this point so not looking to spend tons of cash on the latest FitBit or Apple device. It's mostly just curiosity at this point and pushing some limits.
PM me your details and I'll mail you my old chest strap HRM, should still be in good shape. I had it before I got a FitBit so I never use it anymore.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So, October 1 the company is sponsoring a 5K memorial run in memory of a coworker's daughter who was butchered by a home invader. Employees and their families get free entry. I suppose it's as good a cause as any to get back to it, now that my mother-in-law is here, my wife indicated she wanted to start running too and bought some clothes for that purpose.

Certainly can't blame the weather for failure to mobilize. The forecast for the next 15 days is rain free with highs in the 70's each day.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just an update from a long absence:

Started training for my work 5K in October, then found out I'm going to be out of town that weekend. Doh! Oh well, still making progress.

I'm halfway through the Zombies, Run 5K trainer and doing well. Have seen noticeable improvement. I actually started it earlier in the summer and got through Week 4 before the app wiped all my data and I was interrupted with a vacation. So I wound up starting over. Which means I've actually been running consistently for about 8 weeks.

I'm averaging a 10 minute pace during my jog stretches which is good, and I'm typically doing 3.5 mile walk/runs 3 times a week.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I depart for the Hood to Coast relay tomorrow! I'm getting nervous. It's not so much the mileage (my legs are 7, 5.5 and 5.75), but it's the ordeal of no/little sleep plus sitting in a van plus the running. I'm strangely looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Good luck!
Tao

Post by Tao »

wonderpug wrote:
Tao wrote:Anyone recommend a inexpensive HRM? Anyone had any luck with the wrist based ones (watch-like) or should I just stick with a chest strap. Like to keep the price under $100 for a chest strap, I don't mind spending a bit more on a multi-function wrist device. I barely qualify as a hobbyist at this point so not looking to spend tons of cash on the latest FitBit or Apple device. It's mostly just curiosity at this point and pushing some limits.
PM me your details and I'll mail you my old chest strap HRM, should still be in good shape. I had it before I got a FitBit so I never use it anymore.
Very generous of you sir! Unfortunately I may not need one for a while. I have been experiencing a lot of hip pain the past few months, I did not complain about as I figured it was my hip flexor acting up, which I injured last year. While I wasn't vocal about it, it is causing me to limp a bit and my wife kept bugging me about going to the doctor. Doctor diagnosed stress fractures, gave me the spiel about not ignoring pain, blah blah blah....stop running. Have an MRI scheduled, will no more in a few days. :grund:
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Stop ignoring pain? Ha! Pain is life... especially with sciatica. I really ought to see a doctor.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Tao wrote: Doctor diagnosed stress fractures, gave me the spiel about not ignoring pain, blah blah blah....stop running. Have an MRI scheduled, will no more in a few days. :grund:
Default might be able to recommend a nice bionic hip for you...go for the Steve Austin model and break some records!
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If you only get one you will be running in circles.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm training for a marathon on Oct 28th. I started training a few weeks late due to a bad back and the heat this summer has been punishing. When I did my 10 mile long run, it was 77F and I averaged 10:11/mile. I did my 11 mile on the treadmill the next week and averaged 9:16/mil. This weekend I did my 12 mile run outside and averaged 9:30/mil. Which is a long way of saying I hope it is cool on October 28th. :)

I also tried Honey Stinger Organic Energy Chews, Orange Blossom

It took nearly 2 hours to run this weekend and I popped half this pack at 6 miles and the other half at 9 miles. I didn't feel too tired until the final mile, so at worst I can say it didn't hurt and it might have helped. The chews tasted pretty decent and were like a soft, chewy gum drop. It took me walking for 90s to chew up 5 and wash them down with water. They were not messy and easy to carry along. There was no gastronomical issues at all - which is always a concern as I'm usually several miles from a bathroom.

If people are still looking for energy options, give these a look. I linked Amazon above, but they are actually cheaper at my local running store. I also have two more flavors to try - Limeade (which is caffeinated - something I didn't realize when I bought them) and Fruit Smoothie which is a pack of 4 flavors so I can try a bunch of other types without buying a bunch more packs.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote:I depart for the Hood to Coast relay tomorrow! I'm getting nervous. It's not so much the mileage (my legs are 7, 5.5 and 5.75), but it's the ordeal of no/little sleep plus sitting in a van plus the running. I'm strangely looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.
Well?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote:
Kurth wrote:I depart for the Hood to Coast relay tomorrow! I'm getting nervous. It's not so much the mileage (my legs are 7, 5.5 and 5.75), but it's the ordeal of no/little sleep plus sitting in a van plus the running. I'm strangely looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.
Well?
It went really well! My team was a mix of runners and run/walkers, so we were definitely not in it to win it. Just to finish and have a good time with it.

Overall, I finished my ~18 miles at a 7:09 pace, which was a nice bit below the 7:45 I had predicted and the 7:30 I was shooting for. The second leg was, by far, the most fun. I started that one at 11:30 Friday night at the St. Helens High School. It was a pleasant 60 degrees, a beautiful moon, and not a cloud in the sky. As soon as the route headed off the main highway and on to some really quiet back roads, it became a surreal scene. Just the moon, the stars, and a river of bobbing LED headlamps. Awesome!!!

Also, no one on my team was arrested for stealing a porta-jon truck, taking it on a joy ride and running over some poor Hood-to-Coast runners sleeping in a field, so that was nice!
PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A Hood to Coast runner was arrested early Saturday morning after allegedly stealing a pickup truck at an exchange point and then running over a resting runner in a field.

David Jon Blackmon didn’t get very far when he tried to steal the pickup truck from a portable restroom company worker at Exchange 24 in Birkenfeld, the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office said. The 36-year-old Bend resident took the pickup around 2 a.m. and then drove through a field where runners were resting, authorities said.

Three runners were able to jump out of the way, but Cynthia Gillespie of Canby was run over and dragged a short distance. The truck stopped, resting on her leg, deputies said.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Well done, Kurth! I don't think I'll ever be running at that pace. Horrible about the joylessride. Poor Cynthia!

I jogged my first 10-miler (ever) last Saturday at a non-taxing 12:12 pace. Six ounces of Gatorade and six Gatorade gels kept me ticking, and I was surprised that at the end, though aching a bit, I wasn't winded. The feeling that I could've continued gives me fresh confidence that the 13.1 will be feasible. No, this post was not subsidized by Gatorade.

My event is in about three and a half weeks, so I'm going to use the intervening runs to try to increase my pace. I've been running at a rate that leaves me "able to talk" and not panting, so I'm probably able to do more. Maybe not much more, but something.

My race strategy: negative split for the first 5 miles, negative split for the next five miles, negative split for the 5k at the end. I call it "The Gradual Decline".
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Congrats on the Hood to Coast, Kurth! Great time too!

I have a local 12 mile event Saturday. Forecast - rain. :(
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grundbegriff wrote:Well done, Kurth! I don't think I'll ever be running at that pace.
I think I could do that pace... maybe for half a mile... definitely for a quarter mile.

Speaking of pace and running... you guys with treadmills at home, tell me about them. Do you have anything you would recommend? Anything you would not?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Kurth wrote: It went really well! My team was a mix of runners and run/walkers, so we were definitely not in it to win it. Just to finish and have a good time with it.

Overall, I finished my ~18 miles at a 7:09 pace, which was a nice bit below the 7:45 I had predicted and the 7:30 I was shooting for. The second leg was, by far, the most fun. I started that one at 11:30 Friday night at the St. Helens High School. It was a pleasant 60 degrees, a beautiful moon, and not a cloud in the sky. As soon as the route headed off the main highway and on to some really quiet back roads, it became a surreal scene. Just the moon, the stars, and a river of bobbing LED headlamps. Awesome!!!
Damn, man. Well done. I'm envious. I don't see those kind of numbers unless I'm simulating the speed burst at the end of my runs, and that's nowhere close to an average!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote:
Grundbegriff wrote:Well done, Kurth! I don't think I'll ever be running at that pace.
I think I could do that pace... maybe for half a mile... definitely for a quarter mile.

Speaking of pace and running... you guys with treadmills at home, tell me about them. Do you have anything you would recommend? Anything you would not?
I don't have one, but I looked into getting one when I was back in Boston. A couple thoughts:

-- There's a tremendous difference in quality between the brands you'd get at a big-box store (NordicTrack) and brands you'd get at specialty athletic stores (PreCor, Life Fitness, etc.).

-- Focus on the HP of the motor and on quality of build.

-- Don't underestimate how much space these beasts take up. I had a really difficult time (and ended up not getting one in the end) because of the low ceilings in my basement and the lack of headroom I'd have when using the treadmill. Even at 0 incline, there's usually a good 4-6" of deck height which can really make for an uncomfortable run if your ceilings aren't nice and high.

All that aside, I think treadmills are great. Super helpful for getting runs in when the weather sucks and great for helping get to a consistent pace or to run intervals.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kurth wrote: -- Don't underestimate how much space these beasts take up.
I think I have the space in my basement, it's getting it down the stairs that'd be challenging. But I think there is one in our future, the health club I need to cancel is just too far away.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jeff V wrote:
Kurth wrote: -- Don't underestimate how much space these beasts take up.
I think I have the space in my basement, it's getting it down the stairs that'd be challenging. But I think there is one in our future, the health club I need to cancel is just too far away.
You should be ok getting it down the stairs. When broken down, the various components shouldn't be too tough to fit (although they are heavy, so watch your back). It's really the in-use height that's an issue when running on the deck. Good luck!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

I don't have one, but I looked into getting one when I was back in Boston. A couple thoughts:

-- There's a tremendous difference in quality between the brands you'd get at a big-box store (NordicTrack) and brands you'd get at specialty athletic stores (PreCor, Life Fitness, etc.).

-- Focus on the HP of the motor and on quality of build.

-- Don't underestimate how much space these beasts take up. I had a really difficult time (and ended up not getting one in the end) because of the low ceilings in my basement and the lack of headroom I'd have when using the treadmill. Even at 0 incline, there's usually a good 4-6" of deck height which can really make for an uncomfortable run if your ceilings aren't nice and high.

All that aside, I think treadmills are great. Super helpful for getting runs in when the weather sucks and great for helping get to a consistent pace or to run intervals.
I have 9 foot ceilings through most of my house. I think I will be OK there. It helps that I am not particularly tall.

We have a SOLE elliptical that is really nice, but it's not really that helpful for running. All cardio is not the same. It's the same length as most of the treadmills i have checked out online. A treadmill is going to be wider, but I think I can deal with that.

I guess given our happiness with SOLE, I will start looking at those. I don't care too much about features. I want reliability, speed (at least 10 mph) and incline.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Grundbegriff wrote:I jogged my first 10-miler (ever) last Saturday at a non-taxing 12:12 pace.
11 miles today at 11:50/mi. That was after a lunch at Taco Bell, so I have to assume that 11:30 is within reach.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Good job Grund!

Treadmills: I agree about brands and HP and durability. However, I bought a Nordictrack for a couple thousand with all the bells and whistles. I've been very pleased with the durability (a couple thousand miles on it over the last 3 or 4 years), but I hardly use the gimped tablet and incorporated options. Instead, I prop my tablet up there and watch Netflix. Oh - and make sure it has a good fan included in the console.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Nice work, Grund!! If you did that with a belly full of Taco Bell, you're going to crush your race in a couple weeks.

Also, 100% agree on the fan as a non-optional treadmill option!!!!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

BTW, I'm heading inside today to find a treadmill. It's going to hit near 100 hear in the Portland area, and I want no part of that!!!

I do need to run though, as I'm closing in on a long held goal of mine: I've always wanted to run an average of 100 miles a month to get to 1200 in a calendar year. With all the Hood to Coast training, I'm at 880 now so as king as I don't let bad weather (or, knock on wood, injury) get in the way, I am on track to make it this year!