Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: Running

Post by stessier »

I did something stupid yesterday - I played basketball.

I managed to not twist or break anything (although I did jam my thumb...twice...in quick succession), but I ended up getting two half dollar sized blisters - one on the ball of each foot. Also got a blood blister on the middle toe of my left foot. They all HURT. Walking is an adventure; running is out of the question. I found I can still use the elliptical machines, so it looks like that's what I'll do for the next week and hope things heal up. Stupid shoes - should have thrown them out after my last game...uh...6 years ago.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lee

Post by Lee »

Unofficial time of 27:22 (according to my watch). Didn't look at the official clock and haven't checked the website to see if times were posted yet (doubtful because they didn't use chips for timing). I could have pushed harder the first mile (9:14 pace), but the first quarter of a mile was spent just trying to get out of the crowd and into some free space. After that I mostly had clear running.

While I wish I would have done better, I am happy with it. I beat my goal, and kind of enjoyed running with 1000 other people. Looking forward to my next race in May.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Thanks Zaxxon.

27:29 official time.

Overall 265th out of 1207

63rd out of 154 for my age group of 30-39
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Congrats, Lee!

I bought shoes today, but I'm still not (yet) committed to running. I'm full-on in walk mode, though. :)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Congrats Lee, that was your first timed race, right? Much better than mine, which was a miserable 31 minutes. I'll have to keep improving just so you don't blow me away at the Zoo Run! :)
Black Lives Matter
DonD

Post by DonD »

That's great. Congrats.
XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Lee

Post by Lee »

Thanks guys.

You bought running shoes Neal? If you decide to start running, keep us updated here.

My first timed race was 2 years ago when I wasn't running but riding 5-6 days a week. It was only about 50 people though with no official timing. So I kind of count yesterday as my first real one. At least since I took up running 7 months ago.

Signed up for another 5k in 2 weeks that's just up the street from my apartment. Another Boulder Boulder 10K qualifier. I doubt I will make that much of an improvement though in 2 weeks, although I can run faster than I did yesterday since I did less than a month ago.

No fear on the Chicago run Jeff, I haven't even ran a 10k yet. :oops: Planning to run 6 miles today though.

Will post a picture from yesterday if they have any decent ones of me. Looking at the photography company's other races though, they really suck.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Congrats Lee! That's a very nice time. Have anything you plan on changing for your next race, or did all go as planned?

I remember my first race - it was an 8k. I took off way too fast over the first mile because of all the adrenaline and then spent the last 4-is miles trying not to throw up. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lee wrote:Thanks guys.

You bought running shoes Neal? If you decide to start running, keep us updated here.
I did, and you know I would! Right now I'm sticking to walking. If I can shed a few more percentage points of my body weight, then maybe I'd freak out less about destroying my knees by taking up running. We'll see...
Lee

Post by Lee »

stessier wrote:Congrats Lee! That's a very nice time. Have anything you plan on changing for your next race, or did all go as planned?

I remember my first race - it was an 8k. I took off way too fast over the first mile because of all the adrenaline and then spent the last 4-is miles trying not to throw up. :)
Thanks Stressier. I have a really bad habit of trying to run above my ability when I run with other people. I always feel the need to keep up with people who are much better runners than I am. With that in mind I think I did the opposite and took it too easy, at least at first.

So I would have done the first mile faster by at least 25 seconds. Other than that, I would have warmed up. I know warming up helps me run much better, I really should have done so.
The Meal wrote:If I can shed a few more percentage points of my body weight, then maybe I'd freak out less about destroying my knees by taking up running. We'll see...
I have always had knee problems myself, but I learned it wasn't because of my weight but because my legs aren't strong enough so I get runners knee.

Walking is the best thing you can do for running, so you are on the right track.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Meal, start working in some light jogs...nothing much, a block or two just to start getting accustomed to the motion and to get your heart rate elevated. If you're not experiencing pain, start increasing the length of the intervals. Keep the total time the same, don't measure by distance, so if you are currently walking for 1 hour, still do an hour. You'll cover more ground -- and burn more calories. As you burn more calories, you'll lighten the load on your knees making longer intervals practical. You might find yourself running a 10k in no time (approximately what you'll cover in an hour of running non-stop).

Of course, you have to make sure beer isn't back-filling those calories you're burning. :oops:

I thought about doing one more long run here in the Philippines, but even getting out at 5:30 am isn't soon enough to combat heat-related fatigue about mid-run. I'm just not in summer mode yet. I'm heading back home tomorrow and will probably get in one last training run Friday prior to Sunday's Shamrock Shuffle. Apparently. Spring has sprung since I left, but Sunday temps are back to normal and will be around freezing by race time (no blizzard in the forecast yet so hopefully no repeat of last year). I had my two best races in temps in the upper 30's though, so I'm hopeful for a good performance on Sunday.

I must try to refrain from catching up on 3 weeks of no pizza and no good beer, though. I think I've shed a little weight this trip -- my girlfriend says my baby's gone from 9 months to about 4 months. :oops:
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Ran 6 miles Sunday. Now my ankles hurt, even when sitting. Very disheartening. Going to try to run tomorrow.

Anyway pictures from Saturday. I so wish I had a chin. :(

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lee wrote:I have always had knee problems myself, but I learned it wasn't because of my weight but because my legs aren't strong enough so I get runners knee.

Walking is the best thing you can do for running, so you are on the right track.
Yep, these are the key takeaways. Most of the time, knee problems (like any other running-related injury) are due to pushing your body faster/further than the upgrades you've purchased will allow. Shedding body weight is a minor upgrade. Slowly ramping up the workouts so your body grows accustomed to them is a major upgrade. And it'll probably toss in the minor upgrade as a bonus.

Of course there are exceptions; if you have an actual knee issue then YMMV (literally).
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Zaxxon wrote:
Lee wrote:I have always had knee problems myself, but I learned it wasn't because of my weight but because my legs aren't strong enough so I get runners knee.

Yep, these are the key takeaways. Most of the time, knee problems (like any other running-related injury) are due to pushing your body faster/further than the upgrades you've purchased will allow. Shedding body weight is a minor upgrade. Slowly ramping up the workouts so your body grows accustomed to them is a major upgrade. And it'll probably toss in the minor upgrade as a bonus.

Of course there are exceptions; if you have an actual knee issue then YMMV (literally).
Thanks, guys. I'm *really good* at doing things slowly, step-by-step, and not rushing ahead into the danger zone. As an engineer, I understand negative feedback controls and endeavor to put them in place in life's activities. I.e., if it hurts, stop doing it. I'm certain that I'll keep walking for a while and if running seems like the next logical step after a while, then I'll move forward in that direction in comfort. (Neither of you are participants in the Weight Loss thread, but you can see just a teensy-weensy bit of my "build up slowly" proclivities in there.)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Had a great run this morning. 7.04 miles in 55:00. It was the type of run where I looked at the display at 40:00 and still felt strong - like I could just keep going and going. It's been more than a week since I felt that good, so it was a nice pick me up.
NetGuy

Post by NetGuy »

Hoping someone here has some advice.

I am (or was) a pretty active runner, putting in 20-25 miles a week or so. About a year ago i was about two miles into a run when I suddenly experienced horrible, terrible pain on the outside of my right knee that forced me to stop immediately and walk home.

Ever since then I've been unable to run.

The official diagnosis is IT Band Syndrome, which I'm sure most of you runners are at least partially familar with. I've been to see a orthopedic surgeon, had an MRI that showed nothing but inflamation, worked in PT for months, stretched the hell out of my leg/hip, had a cortizone injection... and tried several months of rest, and nothing has really helped.

I've tried to work my way back a couple of times starting with short runs and increasing the distance gradually, but I've never made it past 1 mile. My last attempt was in early November, and since then I haven't done any sort of running until yesterday, where I ran about 500 yards and ran into the same knee pain. I'm beyond frustrated.

I find it absurd that I ran over 10,000 miles in my life with absolutely no issue and now it appears to have all ended in the space of about 2 strides. I've never had an injury that didn't GET FREAKING BETTER eventually and I dont' know how to deal with this.

Has anyone experienced any IT issues? Any tips or suggestions on how to make this go away?

I do notice seem to still have a bit of swelling/inflamation/fluid/something on the outside of my leg above the knee, and I have an appointment with the ortho next week to see if they can shoot that with cortizone, or drain it, or whatever... but I'm not holding out much hope.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It sounds to me like you've done what I would have in your shoes. Good luck with the next ortho appointment.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote:Had a great run this morning. 7.04 miles in 55:00. It was the type of run where I looked at the display at 40:00 and still felt strong - like I could just keep going and going. It's been more than a week since I felt that good, so it was a nice pick me up.
Awesome time! I hope I can hit those numbers by mid-summer this year.

I'm going to try and run this evening. I'm still feeling all laggy from the flight home yesterday, and I rode 35 miles today. But the weather is awesome, and I want to squeeze in maybe 2 runs prior to Sunday's race.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

NetGuy wrote:Hoping someone here has some advice.

I am (or was) a pretty active runner, putting in 20-25 miles a week or so. About a year ago i was about two miles into a run when I suddenly experienced horrible, terrible pain on the outside of my right knee that forced me to stop immediately and walk home.

Ever since then I've been unable to run.

The official diagnosis is IT Band Syndrome, which I'm sure most of you runners are at least partially familar with. I've been to see a orthopedic surgeon, had an MRI that showed nothing but inflamation, worked in PT for months, stretched the hell out of my leg/hip, had a cortizone injection... and tried several months of rest, and nothing has really helped.

I've tried to work my way back a couple of times starting with short runs and increasing the distance gradually, but I've never made it past 1 mile. My last attempt was in early November, and since then I haven't done any sort of running until yesterday, where I ran about 500 yards and ran into the same knee pain. I'm beyond frustrated.

I find it absurd that I ran over 10,000 miles in my life with absolutely no issue and now it appears to have all ended in the space of about 2 strides. I've never had an injury that didn't GET FREAKING BETTER eventually and I dont' know how to deal with this.

Has anyone experienced any IT issues? Any tips or suggestions on how to make this go away?

I do notice seem to still have a bit of swelling/inflamation/fluid/something on the outside of my leg above the knee, and I have an appointment with the ortho next week to see if they can shoot that with cortizone, or drain it, or whatever... but I'm not holding out much hope.
I had some IT band issues once from always running on the same side of the road. Rest (like a month off), ibuprofen, and leg strengthening exercises cleared it up. Which is to say, it looks like you've covered all the bases and I've got nothin'. :(

Hope the new scan figures it out!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Without actually signing up for the half marathon in May, I've started increasing my long runs by 1 mile/week. This week was 8 miles (in 62:58). That should put me at 13 miles the last week of April. I think the race is the second week of May, so I have a bit of wiggle room if I end up hitting a wall.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote:Without actually signing up for the half marathon in May, I've started increasing my long runs by 1 mile/week. This week was 8 miles (in 62:58). That should put me at 13 miles the last week of April. I think the race is the second week of May, so I have a bit of wiggle room if I end up hitting a wall.
It's good that you have the option: the half-marathons here all sell out well ahead of time.

After finishing my shortest race of the year (8K) in decent time, my next race (3 weeks) is 10K, but I'll be training up towards the June half-marathon. I might do 10 miles by the end of the week.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote:It's good that you have the option: the half-marathons here all sell out well ahead of time.
Living in the middle of nowhere FTW. :)
after finishing my shortest race of the year (8K) in decent time, my next race (3 weeks) is 10K, but I'll be training up towards the June half-marathon. I might do 10 miles by the end of the week.
Congrats! Good luck with this week's long run!!
Lee

Post by Lee »

I'm annoyed. I have a 5k on Sunday that is screwing up my training plan. :) Now I have to do my long run of the week (7 miles) tomorrow instead of on the weekend.

I am happy to say that running is getting easier and easier. It seems that the GNC joint vitamins are helping, as well as my added weight workouts. I am still not fast, in fact I am really slow, but I am working on it. The best part is I actually look forward to running, in a way. Non running days seem odd. When the weather gets nicer I don't know how I am going to work on cycling and running.

Hows is everyone's training going?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lee wrote:The best part is I actually look forward to running, in a way. Non running days seem odd. When the weather gets nicer I don't know how I am going to work on cycling and running.
[/url]

Ahh, right on schedule. :) Start doing some longer races and get yourself a few runner's highs, and you won't go back.

Hows is everyone's training going?
Ugh. I highly recommend not moving (homes). Hopefully once that's cleared up, I'll have more time to run. I think I've gone twice in the last two weeks; makes me cranky.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I still don't really like running, but today I wanted to run, put it off because the radar showed approaching rain, then had to rush it when I was invited to a friend's for dinner followed by a phone call scheduling a phone interview at 2 pm (it was almost 12:30). I ran 7 miles, ok time, felt good at the end. Too bad I didn't have more time -- I want to do a 10 mile run this week, and today I was running well enough to do it. Maybe tomorrow or Saturday.

Next race is a 10K on April 10.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Unofficial time of 26:38 on this 5K. Of course my watch also says I did 3.17 miles. I pushed as soon as I could get out of the pack. Felt pretty good about it, but know I could do better. Will post my placing as soon as I know it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow - knocked 1:00 off your time in 2 weeks! That's pretty good!!

Just think, at this rate of improvement, sometime in June you'll be a world class 5k-er. ;)
Lee

Post by Lee »

Heh, I wish. I don't think I am running it to my full potential though, I didn't get enough sleep and ate like crap before this one.

I moved into an older bracket this run and it seems the competition is tougher.

Official time: 26:39, 8:35 average
55 out of 233
Men: 47/114
M4049: 10/17
stessier

Post by stessier »

Did my 9 miler on the treadmill this weekend. in 69:47 (7:45). Have to somehow get in a 10 miler around Easter. That should be interesting.

It's supposed to be in the 70's by Thursday with lows in the 50's. That's definitely outside weather! I just hope my watch gets here in time. I bought new shoes this weekend and everything. Come on UPS!!
Lee

Post by Lee »

Didn't spring for 2 day? When does UPS say it will be here?

Looking forward to hearing your impressions. I saw a 305 on someone yesterday, they are huge, but the screen is nice and big so you can read it easier too.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lee wrote:Didn't spring for 2 day? When does UPS say it will be here?
Nope - super saver shipping. Might get here by Christmas if I'm lucky. :D
Looking forward to hearing your impressions. I saw a 305 on someone yesterday, they are huge, but the screen is nice and big so you can read it easier too.
I'll definitely be providing a write up. A couple of people here at work have 205's and say they take a run or two to get used to, but they are so worth it. We shall see!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:I'll definitely be providing a write up. A couple of people here at work have 205's and say they take a run or two to get used to, but they are so worth it. We shall see!
I have a 205 and it's awesometastic. I take it hiking, as well.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Signed up for the half marathon today. Turns out it is May 2 rather than the 9th. Good thing to check out when you sign up. :)

That means I should hit 13 miles the weekend before the race (increasing my long run 1 mile/week). Should be perfect!

The elevation change looks quite manageable. It's going to be fun passing the 7mile mark and knowing the rest is down hill.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Awesome! Good luck!

I did a 10 mile run on Saturday and felt strong at the end. With beautiful spring weather expected, I'll push it to 11 or 12 miles by the end of the week. I was considering getting a new pair of shoes (I have $100 in Amazon GCs), but the trail running shoes I bought for winter running are working so well...I've not had ANY problems with pain, blisters, or anything. Then again, I haven't tried running many days in a row yet. I think I'll do less of that this year, maybe alternate days with biking and see how that works out.

Today there was a chance I was going to go golfing, but I convinced my friend to go to the range this afternoon instead (I haven't swung a club since August and I really need to hit a range first) and probably will golf tomorrow. So I'll get a run in later this morning before meeting her to...uh...whack some balls.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Totally irrelevant side note: I used to think running shoes were expensive. I just bought my first pair of mountaineering boots. Yegads.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote:Totally irrelevant side note: I used to think running shoes were expensive. I just bought my first pair of mountaineering boots. Yegads.
I bet they last longer than 3 months though. My hiking shoes need replacing, but they aren't totally beat to shit after more than 2 years of very heavy use (they have been my casual shoes all that time getting almost daily wear). I paid a little more than I do for running shoes, they cost about $140 I think. But I never thought I'd go on multi-day hikes, so I didn't need to go all out with full boot.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, they're definitely pretty hardy boots. But sticker shock is still shocking. :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm willing to be shocked - how much do good hiking boots run?

And really - why do any of these shoes cost so much? Are my Kayono's really $140? Isn't that like $100 profit? I hate buying running shoes, even though I know I have to have them or bad things happen. :evil:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:I'm willing to be shocked - how much do good hiking boots run?
Good ones range from $400-$1000ish. I went rather low-end and left $267 lighter after a 15% discount.
And really - why do any of these shoes cost so much? Are my Kayono's really $140? Isn't that like $100 profit? I hate buying running shoes, even though I know I have to have them or bad things happen. :evil:
For running shoes, they would tell you it's cause of research into advanced materials. I would tell you it's because they can. :)

The hiking boots are at least built like tanks. Gore-Tex hides, crampon hitches, extremely rigid soles, etc.