Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: Running

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote:
stessier wrote:I'm willing to be shocked - how much do good hiking boots run?
Good ones range from $400-$1000ish. I went rather low-end and left $267 lighter after a 15% discount.
Okay - wow. I'm going to stop complaining now. And, of course, never, ever take up hiking. :D
And really - why do any of these shoes cost so much? Are my Kayono's really $140? Isn't that like $100 profit? I hate buying running shoes, even though I know I have to have them or bad things happen. :evil:
For running shoes, they would tell you it's cause of research into advanced materials. I would tell you it's because they can. :)
Yeah, I agree with you. Still annoying, though. :horse:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
stessier wrote:I'm willing to be shocked - how much do good hiking boots run?
Good ones range from $400-$1000ish. I went rather low-end and left $267 lighter after a 15% discount.
Okay - wow. I'm going to stop complaining now. And, of course, never, ever take up hiking. :D
And to be clear, these are mountaineering boots. You can get decent hiking boots in the same range as running shoes. The mountaineering boots give more betterer waterproofing, insulation, traction, and solid soles for when you may be walking on 1" ledges and very steep slopes.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Whelp - I got my 10 mile "run" in this weekend. Ended up being more walk than run at the end. It was not the best conditions for the run. Thursday my daughter got sick and I got very little sleep Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Also, Friday I fasted. Sunday morning I missed breakfast and knew I wanted to run right after our brunch, so I only had a english muffin and 3 strips of bacon.

I started out at noon and it was about 60F and sunny. Also windy. I ran around a lake and I swear the wind was in my face the entire way. Also had a few hills in there that destroyed my stamina. I did an out and back and made it out 5miles in 42ish minutes (haven't had a chance to download the run yet). I finished in 93 minutes, so I did the last 5 miles in like 51 minutes. Fairly discouraging. I've changed my half marathon goal from 1:45 to anything under 2:00. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lee

Post by Lee »

I noticed a proper nights sleep (or as close as I ever get to it) has a huge effect on my runs. A lot more than I ever thought, if I am tired my times are a lot slower and the runs generally feels horrible.

I am not sure why you are discouraged, that's a good time for your first time running outside in awhile.

Did my longest run yet this weekend (was supposed to do it 2 weeks ago but I wasn't up for it), 7 miles in 71 minutes, I took it nice and slow and kept my heart rate low. I was exhausted immediately afterward, but about an out later I didn't even feel like I had ran. This morning, I feel nothing. That's such a nice feeling knowing I can run that far and it doesn't even phase me. All this running is actually working. :)
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: I finished in 93 minutes, so I did the last 5 miles in like 51 minutes. Fairly discouraging. I've changed my half marathon goal from 1:45 to anything under 2:00. :)
I'm pretty sure you can hit 1:45. Your training runs (with the exception of this one, which I'm inclined to think is an anomaly) are better than mine were at the peak of my half-marathoning, and I've come very close to 1:45. Keep at it.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Have you signed up for the Boulder Boulder Zaxxon?
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lee wrote:Have you signed up for the Boulder Boulder Zaxxon?
I have not. I am intrigued by it, however.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Are you going to to? Supposedly, the best 10k in the country.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I need to make sure we won't be traveling for Memorial Weekend. If we'll be here and don't have much else going on, I'll probably run it. I have to get over my fear of racing with no oxygen at some point, right? :)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lee wrote:Are you going to to? Supposedly, the best 10k in the country.
It's also pretty heavily attended. Busy busy busy day in Boulder (a day which I avoid that town with a passion).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Lee

Post by Lee »

Zaxxon wrote:I need to make sure we won't be traveling for Memorial Weekend. If we'll be here and don't have much else going on, I'll probably run it. I have to get over my fear of racing with no oxygen at some point, right? :)
I can't wait to run in Chicago, haven't ran that low in years. Maybe I can make Jeff look bad? :p
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lee wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:I need to make sure we won't be traveling for Memorial Weekend. If we'll be here and don't have much else going on, I'll probably run it. I have to get over my fear of racing with no oxygen at some point, right? :)
I can't wait to run in Chicago, haven't ran that low in years. Maybe I can make Jeff look bad? :p
Making Jeff look bad is always a good time. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote:
Lee wrote:
Making Jeff look bad is always a good time. :)
Just like shooting fish in a barrel...not much of a challenge, is it? :P

I had a horrible run today. I blame carrying my phone so I could use Sportypal. It worked better than it did on the bike ride, but I can't see carrying my phone when I run so I will probably only use it for biking. I tried keeping it in my pocket, but it was too distracting. I was going to bike afterward (absolutely beautiful day), but I think I need a day off. Tomorrow might be rainy, so maybe I can stay in all day. I'd like to get one more run in Wednesday in advance of Saturday's 10K race and then take 2 days off from running (although I kind of wanted to ride my bike to packet pickup Thursday or Friday but it will be cold).
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Weird; I have no issues carrying mine. Is your phone ginormous or something? I carry it anyway for tunes or podcasting, and haven't found it to be any worse than my iPod or Zune was despite its additional weight.

Today I ran with both SportyPal and my Garmin, and their results were pretty close to one another. I'm going to run with both for the next few runs to get a better feel for the accuracy of my phone.

Lee, I registered for the BoulderBoulder today. Bring on the pain...
Lee

Post by Lee »

Zaxxon wrote:Weird; I have no issues carrying mine. Is your phone ginormous or something? I carry it anyway for tunes or podcasting, and haven't found it to be any worse than my iPod or Zune was despite its additional weight.

Today I ran with both SportyPal and my Garmin, and their results were pretty close to one another. I'm going to run with both for the next few runs to get a better feel for the accuracy of my phone.

Lee, I registered for the BoulderBoulder today. Bring on the pain...
My phone would is way too heavy to run with, that's why I am not joining you guys on that app.

Do you have a qualifier Zaxxon? If not I guess you are starting in the back, we should be close.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nope; haven't run any real races since before their initial deadline.

54,000 people; crazy talk. I think the biggest race I've been in is 40,000.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Well say hello when you pass me. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lee wrote:Well say hello when you pass me. :)
Don't assume I'll be passing you, Mr. 'I can breathe up here'. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote:Weird; I have no issues carrying mine. Is your phone ginormous or something? I carry it anyway for tunes or podcasting, and haven't found it to be any worse than my iPod or Zune was despite its additional weight.
I have a T-Mobile G1 (HTC) It's a little longer than a deck of cards, and about as thick. It was too heavy bouncing around in my pocket, so I had to carry it in my hand. My crappy little iPod is small enough to not be bothersome in my pocket.

Maybe I'll try it wearing a biking jersey and see if the rear pockets is a more comfortable place to hold it.
I biked with it today. My bicycle computer has always been pretty accurate, spot-on with the mileage markers on the bike trail. Today, SportyPal didn't go dark like it did the other day...in fact, it gave back about a mile and a half (I rode 32.5 miles according the computer, 34 miles according to SportyPal). This time I allowed SportyPal to post to FB. :mrgreen:
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think you may have some GPS issues up there. Maybe I'm just so close to the satellites that it's not a problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Today was the Wrigley Start Early 10K. The weather was pretty good, sunny, 50's at race time, warming into the 60's I rode my bike to the race (10 miles), then had a pretty good run -- still waiting on the official results, but I think I shaved a full three minutes from the 10K in Manila just one month ago. Nike+ seemed to be accurate to within 100', and it says I did good -- 53:40 with an average pace of 8:35 per mile (I'm happy with anything under 9:15). It got windy, but fortunately the last 2 miles were with the wind at my back. I took a 30 mile bike ride afterward, the last 20 miles into a wind gusting at 30 (with a full pack on my back too), so I'm ready for some beer and grilled kielbasa right now. :)
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Congrats on the time Jeff.

Just did my first 8 mile run. 1:20.11. 10k mark was right at 1:02. Dead tired now, but ready for some beer and dinner.

Was going to try to ride today, but I think I better wait until tomorrow now.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Speaking of beer, and since you're both Androidheads, check out Remembeer in the Market. Neat.
Lee

Post by Lee »

That's a neat app, may have to head to Old Chicagos after my run/ride to try it out.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Well that was stupid. Rode for 23 miles, felt pretty good (besides the sore butt), had a Sprite to get some sugar in me (I really need to get some good recovery food in the house) and figured I would do a slow 3 mile recovery run. Couldn't do it, just over the halfway mark I started feeling dizzy. I completely ran out of gas. Sitting here now with sweat just rolling off of me now.

If I am going to do this exercise thing, I really need to start eating better.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I went on a 5.9 mile walk on Saturday, and when I got home that morning, I had the cold chills something fierce. I don't think I could have walked another mile without collapsing. And this is stinking walking!

Then on Sunday afternoon (after Saturday night's poker game, and very little sleep) I went on a 6.45 mile walk and felt great afterwards.

I think sometimes our bodies just want to be whiny dramatic bitches and let us know that all this exercise stuff is a bit annoying at times and do we really have to do it so often?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I was hoping to go running and biking today. I still might, but my quads are still sore from Saturday. I'll run first then consider whether my legs have a 30 mile ride in them or not. Tomorrow, I'm planning to meet a former slave down at the lakefront for a ride, and I'll ride down there from here, it could be anywhere from 40-60 miles total, so I don't really want to over-do it today.

Edit: 8.4 mile run is done, but it is just windy enough (20 mph) to discourage any enthusiasm for a bike ride. I feel like if I go out now, then I won't want to go on a much longer ride in the morning. Oh well, I think it's best to alternate days anyway, maybe just doing both when I know the weather is going to enforce a couple of days off.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Do any of you guys use orthopedic inserts? My triathlon coworker swears by them saying the insole of running shoes suck. She spends over $100 for hers but is telling me to go check out REI's $40 inserts. Opinions?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lee wrote:Do any of you guys use orthopedic inserts? My triathlon coworker swears by them saying the insole of running shoes suck. She spends over $100 for hers but is telling me to go check out REI's $40 inserts. Opinions?
I tend to use them after running shoes have hit middle age if I am having comfort problems. I tried expensive ones; they didn't help much. The best I found were $10 Dr. Scholls. YMMV, but if you're having problem that you think could be solved by added insoles, maybe try those first before dropping so much money?
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

I always have some sort of pain someplace, mostly knees, but that is probably from not being in shape. Just an idea to try I guess.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lee wrote:I always have some sort of pain someplace, mostly knees, but that is probably from not being in shape. Just an idea to try I guess.
It's one of life's crappy paradoxes. Running is much easier on the joints the less you weigh, the more running you do, the more weight you lose. Your body rebels against it when you need to do it the most. However, at some point you'll hit a threshold -- with me, it's about 200 lbs -- where suddenly there is a lot less joint pain (muscle pain, however, seems inevitable). The farther below that threshold you drop, the more you notice improved performance.

While I don't think I'll ever become comfortable running 2 hours (much less 4), I know that setting a half-marathon goal keeps me under the threshold, so my normal runs (7-8 miles) are much more comfortable.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

How do you know if you need new shoes? Is there any specific pain or soreness?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

noxiousdog wrote:How do you know if you need new shoes? Is there any specific pain or soreness?
It can manifest in a bunch of ways. But the safe route is to track your mileage and replace the shoes in the 300-500 mile range depending on how much pounding you do to them (eg your running style and weight). If any of the outer sole has worn down significantly, it's time. If you've worn away the insole, you can replace just the insole, but it's likely the cushioning deeper in the shoe is toast, so I just replace the shoe.

Running shoes can be expensive, but they're cheap compared to the suffering caused by running on retirement home shoes, IMO.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When my Ascics hit their 6-month mark (~500 miles), there was no question they were toast. The plastic heel supports had broken through the protective padding and were shredding my feet. Just to get a little more time out of it, I took a Dremel to the plastic and cut it away. Still, the shoes managed to cause discomfort, so they had to be retired for good.

My old Nike running shoes are at least in good enough shape for casual wear. Except maybe for the lime green ones. It's not that they are in bad shape, it's just that they are lime green.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Jeff V wrote:When my Ascics hit their 6-month mark (~500 miles), there was no question they were toast. The plastic heel supports had broken through the protective padding and were shredding my feet. Just to get a little more time out of it, I took a Dremel to the plastic and cut it away. Still, the shoes managed to cause discomfort, so they had to be retired for good.

My old Nike running shoes are at least in good enough shape for casual wear. Except maybe for the lime green ones. It's not that they are in bad shape, it's just that they are lime green.
My Nike's are white and lime green and think they look pretty good. One thing you can say about Nike's, they make a nice looking shoe.

I have yet to get a shoe over 150 miles, I keep swapping them out for something which I think will be better. Sticking with this current pair, best shoe so far.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V wrote:My old Nike running shoes are at least in good enough shape for casual wear.
Definitely. I keep my running shoes for casual use and walking use for a year or two after I retire them for running. They're still decent shoes; they just can't absorb the shock of running anymore.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote:
Jeff V wrote:My old Nike running shoes are at least in good enough shape for casual wear.
Definitely. I keep my running shoes for casual use and walking use for a year or two after I retire them for running. They're still decent shoes; they just can't absorb the shock of running anymore.
They also can be used for some of the river segments in Dances with Dirt. :P
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
They also can be used for some of the river segments in Dances with Dirt. :P
Indeed. Which just reminds me that I'm missing DWD again. Curses!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Maybe it's just me, but I can't use my shoes after running. I sweat - a lot - and the shoes show it. They also get kind of a grimy feel to them. Not nice for around the town.

I try to change them as often as I can afford them. The last pair I think I used for more than 500 miles but spread out over 2 years. I've heard shoes lose their shock absorbing power after a year no matter how much they've been used, but I thought these had held up pretty well. Then I bought new shoes - it's like running on clouds, I tell ya!

Now I'm just glad the old clunkers didn't cause me any damage. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:I've heard shoes lose their shock absorbing power after a year no matter how much they've been used, but I thought these had held up pretty well.
I've heard this as well, but don't think it's true. Or that it has to be true. Maybe if you leave them out in the sun or something, but mine have always held up pretty well until a few hundred miles, whether that took me 3 months or 20 months.