Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grundbegriff

Re: Running

Post by Grundbegriff »

Proof it happens:
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:46 pm T-12.5 hours to race start. All packed and ready to go. Weather forecast is 51F at start with overcast skies. Rain percentage starts at 15% at 7:30am and ramps up to 90% at 1pm...in case I needed extra motivation to shoot for a PR.

Tweaked my left ankle a bit last night. Don't think it will be an issue, but it is a bit annoying. Doing a lot of stretching and massaging to keep it loose. 45 minutes until bedtime. Woo-hoo!
Good luck Stessier! Hope it stays dry!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Cool gif Grund!

Waking up the family and then heading out. See you on the other side.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Whelp, I survived.

Temperature was about 52F at the start and only about 54F at the end. It was overcast except for about 5 minutes around mile 23. It rained from miles 4-10 and 20-23 - not hard enough to make puddles, but enough to get everything wet. The rain from 4-10 was welcome as it kept me cool. From 20-23, not so much.

My longest training run was 19 miles and it showed. I didn't always remember to hit the lap button my watch, but these are the splits I have:

Code: Select all

Mile Markers / Time / Pace
0-4       36:30    9:02
4-8       35:17    8:54
8-13      45:55    9:06
13-16     27:54    9:49
16-20     42:39    10:45
20-26.2   1:18:52  12:48

Total Time: 4:27:19  10:16
I hit the half way point at 1:57:17 which was in line with my training runs and hit mile 19 at 2:57 which was 5 minutes faster than my training runs. Then the wheels came off. :)

The course followed a lot of the Swamp Rabbit Trail. This is a trail built on the site of a defunct train track so all the grades are very gentle. The first 10 miles were through Furman University and the surrounding area. The hills were not so gradual for that part. At mile 12 we got on the trail until we re-entered Furman around Mile 16. I felt really good and only walked through water stops until right at mile 16. At that point I encountered some hills and had to walk up them. Right around then, the 4:00 pace person passed me which was a bit sad but not unexpected. I started having to walk up many of the hills I saw and really slowed down my pace. At mile 19, we left campus and got back on the Swamp Rabbit Trail and it was mostly downhill until Mile 25. As mentioned, it started to rain again during this part and I think it was Mile 20 or 21 that my legs really started to cramp up. The inner and outer thigh muscles on my right leg felt like I was getting punched with each step. As I worked that out, the muscle near my left shin tightened so hard that I had to stop for a second. Through experimentation I figured out it is the muscle that helps you point your foot. That one was really bad as I really couldn't move until it loosened up again. I battled both of those on and off through the end. At mile 22.5, the 4:15 pace setter passed me. When I saw her, I said "Oh no - you're not allowed to pass me" to which she chuckled and mentioned she was a bit ahead of pace and to just keep going (my wife said she finished in 4:13). I gave chase but lost her within 5 minutes.

At Mile 23.5 the trail went up and over an active railroad track. This was by far the steepest grade we had - it seemed like the hill just went up and up and up - even though it was probably only 30 feet of elevation. At Mile 25 there was a water station and I drank 3 glasses. That was a mistake - my stomach was not very pleased and I walked for about 5 minutes trying to keep things under control. And then I walked the rest of the mile because it was all uphill. I tried to break into a jog once, but those three trouble spots cramped up again so I just kept walking. At Mile 26 we entered the Greenville Drive (Single A Red Sox affiliate) stadium for the last 0.2 mile jog around the outfield. I knew my family was in the stands so I found a way to shuffle into a pathetic jog. I know it was pathetic because my wife filmed me crossing the finish line. The difference between how fast I felt I was going at that point and how fast the video shows I was actually go never ceases to amaze me. I know I wasn't Usain Bolt, but surely I wasn't that fat old dude barely shuffling his feet. :lol:

Yesterday afternoon had some rough moments. That left lower leg muscle next to my shin kept cramping for the next few hours. I continued to massage my legs and use a foam roller on them, so the big muscles actually didn't feel that bad, but that lower leg one really wasn't fun. Around 6pm it finally gave up the fight and I didn't feel too bad. Today, transition activities like standing up, sitting down, getting out of bed, or using stairs are still pretty tough, but once I get moving I'm fine. My left knee is a sore, but I'm pretty sure that just an IT band that needs stretching.

I'm not sure why the cramping happened. It's never happened during any of my other runs. I weighed myself before and after the race and only lost 4 lbs which is not that unusual. The only thing I can think of was the cold and rain. Once I started doing more walking I really started to cool off. Even though I had on a long sleeve shirt, it was thoroughly soaked and I'm not sure it was doing a whole lot of good. I never started shivering, but I remember thinking around Mile 22 that my hands were getting cold and maybe I should pull out my gloves.

Overall I don't know if I can say I had a good time because those last 7 miles were just painful. But up until that point I was pretty happy - I felt my training runs had prepared me well and I was happy with my pace. I accomplished two of my goals and, had I been able to run at all during Mile 25, I feel that sub 4:15 was within my reach (Mile 25 to the end took 18 minutes). I hope to get back to running either Monday or Tuesday inside on the treadmill to get loosened up again.

Thanks for reading! :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Congratudolences?

Look at it this way: you met your top two goals!

Your account of conquest and struggle really makes me want to never, ever, ever attempt a marathon.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Congratulations! Sorry the end of the race was so difficult in so many ways.

I've had all of those problems at one time or another, I think, and it sounds like you handled it as well as you could. Hope the soreness wears off soon.

(Also - I might hold off an extra day or two (or more) from starting up the running again. Some of the recommended wait times are pretty high, and I ignore them too. But Monday/Tuesday might be a little soon. Just .02).
stessier

Post by stessier »

I didn't mean for that account to scare anyone off. It was more so that I would remember what happened. Already my mind is playing tricks on me and saying if I had been a little tougher I could have run more those last few miles and broken 4:15. It's helpful to re-read and remember that no, I really couldn't have. :)

Today I'm feeling nearly back to normal. My right knee (which I still think is the IT band acting up) is still a little sore, but I only really notice it going up and down stairs. My quads are still a bit sore, but only at that level you feel after a good hard run. I'm feeling good. And I have a nice shiny medal to show off at work today. :lol:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I hope you're able to get back to running soon and not lose conditioning. My legs rebelled and I never got back to where I was (best I managed was a painful half 3 years later).

I spent all day yesterday wrestling a massive treadmill into my basement. I'll be spending next weekend repairing damage incurred in the process. The only way it's ever going to leave is after being sledged to pieces.

But it works, so now back to it I guess. Initial goal is just to back to at least 5K so I can run outside again without embarrassment.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So, last night I had to make my sick wife dinner then take the boy to a Halloween event at his school. Wife gave me a pass on running since I prefer to do so before eating and it was already getting late. I said I would at least walk some...maybe to 10,000 steps (I was at 3500). I started out at a normal walk for 3 minutes then tried an interval at a jogging pace (5mph) for another 3 minutes. After 2 minute of faster walking, I wasn't even a little winded so started jogging faster...incrementing up to 7.2 mph finishing a 10k at a sub-10 minute mile pace which included the earlier walking. Not bad for not having been on the hamster wheel for 20 months.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So, last night I had to make my sick wife dinner then take the boy to a Halloween event at his school. Wife gave me a pass on running since I prefer to do so before eating and it was already getting late. I said I would at least walk some...maybe to 10,000 steps (I was at 3500). I started out at a normal walk for 3 minutes then tried an interval at a jogging pace (5mph) for another 3 minutes. After 2 minute of faster walking, I wasn't even a little winded so started jogging faster...incrementing up to 7.2 mph finishing a 10k at a sub-10 minute mile pace which included the earlier walking. Not bad for not having been on the hamster wheel for 20 months.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

That is quite the span between double posts. :lol:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

New filter at work blocks OO. Posting from the phone has some oddities I'm still trying to get used to.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Did my first run since the marathon this morning. Went 5.25 miles at a 9:28 min/mile pace. Energy and spirits were good - body had an issue. Apparently one of the cramps I thought I had in my right leg was actually a pulled groin muscle. I was stupid and ran through it and now I can barely move side to side. The internet tells me I have to just rest it and do activities that don't hurt it. So I'm going to try riding the stationary bike. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I can do. Even walking I can feel it. Kind of bummed.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Ugh - that sucks! Heal quickly!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:20 pm Did my first run since the marathon this morning. Went 5.25 miles at a 9:28 min/mile pace. Energy and spirits were good - body had an issue. Apparently one of the cramps I thought I had in my right leg was actually a pulled groin muscle. I was stupid and ran through it and now I can barely move side to side. The internet tells me I have to just rest it and do activities that don't hurt it. So I'm going to try riding the stationary bike. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I can do. Even walking I can feel it. Kind of bummed.
Congrats on the marathon, Stessier, even if it felt like a slog at the end. Just keep in mind, your now one of a select group of people that have completed a 26.2 mile race. That's pretty cool, and something I aspire to one day. Good on you!!!

On the injury, I would highly recommend foam rolling. It looks a little awkward foam rolling that area, but it really does help.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

My running update: If not for the CA wildfires, I'd probably be running over the Golden Gate Bridge right now as part of the 2017 Ragnar San Fran - Napa Valley race. I was pretty bummed that was cancelled, and my running tailed off a bit, but I'm still on pace to easily top 1,200 miles for the year, so I'm going to keep grinding. But I'm gradually scaling back a bit down to the low 20s instead of low 30s for weekly miles.

Also, my birthday was this past Tuesday, and I've got a new birthday goal: Every year, I'm going to run a 10K on my birthday in fewer minutes than I am old. So, on Tuesday, I jumped on the treadmill and hammered out a 10K in 42:30. Year One goal achieved!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kurth wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:04 am Also, my birthday was this past Tuesday, and I've got a new birthday goal: Every year, I'm going to run a 10K on my birthday in fewer minutes than I am old. So, on Tuesday, I jumped on the treadmill and hammered out a 10K in 42:30. Year One goal achieved!
I like it. Mind if I steal this idea? Now I'll just have to get myself a pace tortoise.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:16 am
Kurth wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:04 am Also, my birthday was this past Tuesday, and I've got a new birthday goal: Every year, I'm going to run a 10K on my birthday in fewer minutes than I am old. So, on Tuesday, I jumped on the treadmill and hammered out a 10K in 42:30. Year One goal achieved!
I like it. Mind if I steal this idea? Now I'll just have to get myself a pace tortoise.
Go for it! The nice thing is, every year, it should get a little easier. :D
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

At some point, you start to wonder how it was ever a challenge! You turned in an awesome time though.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

45/6.2 = yeah, no. :oops:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:31 am At some point, you start to wonder how it was ever a challenge! You turned in an awesome time though.
I'm thinking, if I can do a 10K in under an hour when I'm 60, that's not too bad. Actually, I just calculated it: A 10K at 59:59 = a 9.41 mile pace. I'd be psyched if I could be doing that at that age, but I see some old guys out there just killing it, so I know it's possible.

At 80, I'd need to do it in 79:50 which would = a 12.54 mile pace.

I actually think that sounds more and more challenging as time goes on.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Eat my dust, Spangler!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Man, those records are crazy! The good news is, if I continue to meet my goal of a 10K in under my age in minutes, I'll be narrowing the gap.

Here's the trajectory:

Year 43 - 42:30 for me (6.51 pace), 27:48 for record holder (4.29 pace); I am 35% slower.
Year 60 - 59:59 for me (9.41 pace), 34:27 for record holder (5.33 pace); I am projected to be 43% slower.
Year 80 - 79:59 for me (12.54 pace), 45:28 for record holder (7.20 pace); I am projected to be 44% slower.
Year 90 - 89:59 for me (14.30 pace), 74:49 for record holder (12.04 pace); I am projected to be 17% slower.

By my calculations, by the time I'm 120 or so, I have a shot at the world record!!! :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's always the race walking records:

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

In my first half-marathon, I was crushed by a 60+ lady who was race walking (Zaxxon might remember that one).
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Badass lady.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Third and final halfer this Saturday. Aiming to break 2:30, with fantasies of 2:20. Knee and hip may have other ideas....
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Grundbegriff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 pm Third and final halfer this Saturday. Aiming to break 2:30, with fantasies of 2:20. Knee and hip may have other ideas....
And, for completeness: 2:22:31, an 18-minute improvement on September's venture. Joints didn'nt whine. Nice trail. Next season, I'll aim for 2:10 as I claw my way toward mediocrity!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Congratulations! That's an awesome improvement.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm back and getting my pace back to respectable numbers.

Doing a 5k in 3 weeks, 5 miler in January and 10k in February.

Also gathering a team for Ragnar Relay Aspen in August.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Congrats Grund! Quite the improvement! I'm glad everything went smoothly!

And good luck with your plan Xmann. I can't imagine doing Ragnar, but I'm pretty antisocial, so yeah.

Not much going on with my running. I'm procrastinating from my weekly long run by typing this message? I've stuck to my training plan religiously for the past 2-3 weeks? I ran a Turkey Trot Fun Mile with my 7 yr. old son? Yeah -all pretty bland.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I ordered a Sole F63 treadmill (we have a Sole elliptical that has done very well for us) and scheduled an appointment with my doctor to talk about my sciatica. Between the two I am hoping my running improves next year.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Nice improvement, Grund! Strong work!!! :clap:

Coop, that Sole treadmill is the exact model I was looking at before I realized I didn't really have the space for it (ok, my wife realized that for me). That's a nice hamster wheel and should keep you spinning for a while.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:40 am Coop, that Sole treadmill is the exact model I was looking at before I realized I didn't really have the space for it (ok, my wife realized that for me). That's a nice hamster wheel and should keep you spinning for a while.
For future reference, if anyone does order one of these beasts, spring for the inside delivery and assembly. 360 pounds! The box is massive, the assembly is frustrating... on the plus side I got a lot of exercise... and I haven't even finished assembly yet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yes, I recommend the install/delivery option too. I figured it'd be unwieldy and heavy, but I also didn't want to deal with leveling it and such.

It's funny because yesterday - my warranty was up. I bought my Nordictrack treadmill in 2012 and had bought a 5 yr in-home warranty, knowing I'd probably run that thing into the ground. They added a 6th year as a promotional offer and so it's about to expire. I've had little problem with it, except a period where it would "catch" and through my gait off in a very minor way. That worked itself out, and I never needed to call service. I've run over 5200 miles on the thing and want to continue to use it so I re-upped the warranty for another 3 yrs. I'm hoping if it breaks down, that they won't have the parts and will instead have to replace. Or - I'm fine if it stays reliable too.

Less than 2 months until marathon #17.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I've got a new goal: I want to hit 1,320 miles total in calendar year 2017. That comes out to an average of 110 a month for 12 months, or nearly 26 miles every week for 52 weeks, I think.

I'm at 1,267 as of today. Just need to keep pushing through the holidays, and I should be right on target

For me, that would be a huge PR!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kurth wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:42 pm I've got a new goal: I want to hit 1,320 miles total in calendar year 2017. That comes out to an average of 110 a month for 12 months, or nearly 26 miles every week for 52 weeks, I think.

I'm at 1,267 as of today. Just need to keep pushing through the holidays, and I should be right on target

For me, that would be a huge PR!
You got this... No sweat!!

I've decided I'm going to 1100 this year and that will be it. I'm at 1070-ish, so I should finish this week letting me enjoy the last two weeks of the year... Which I took as vacation time. :)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Both of you guys sound good for those goals. Good luck finishing them off!

A month or two back, I was hoping to get to 1000 considering my 8 weeks off while injured. After my long run tonight, I'm at 936. With over 100 scheduled over the next three weeks, I should be good if I keep to my training plan.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Very nice!

I was actually off a bit - after today I'm at 1088. This week is going to be a breeze. :)