Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: Running

Post by YellowKing »

Starting my running routine back up tonight. There's no way I can get up early enough to run before work, so I usually try to make it the first thing I do when I get home. With the baby here it's going to be a little more challenging but hopefully I can time it so that I can run while she's feeding.

My personal best is hitting Week 6 of the Couch to 5K program. By that point I was doing 1.5 miles straight with relative ease. I'm really hoping to complete the program this time around, as I desperately need to lose the 15 pounds I gained while my wife was pregnant. Couple that with the fact my dad just found out he has Type II Diabetes to go with his high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and I see myself going down a slippery slope if I don't act now.
DonD

Post by DonD »

You've inspired me to give it a shot.

Day 1 of couch to 5K. Off the couch. Went to the shop, got some running shoes, and hit the pavement with the Podrunner:Intervals track.

Also joined the Y so I can keep up with other stuff on the off days and when the weather is bad.

I'm not looking to drop weight (I'm already pretty slim), but I am looking to fight the genetics of bad cholesterol.
XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Lee

Post by Lee »

Well it happened finally. I injured myself. Too much snow and ice on the roads yesterday so I went to this indoor 1/10 of a mile track to run. A track I have a long history with, and a lot of that history includes injuries. (A lot of people complain about that track, the tight corners put strain on your outside leg and the surface is really hard.)

Started running and my left calf felt a little tight. I ran 3.5 miles and by the end it felt a little tighter, but didn't really hurt. As I was doing my cool down mile walk it started to hurt and I started limping. I iced it when I got home and then left it wrapped for the rest of the day. Today it still feels tight.

Not sure if I pulled it or just strained it. Trying to figure what I need to do besides not run for a few days. Any tips?
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lots of [relaxed] stretching. Assuming you can walk on it--if not, then you're probably best having it looked at. If it's just a case of 'it hurts and I know I shouldn't run on it, but I'm no longer really limping', I usually just take it easy for a few days, ice it once or twice a day if that's practical, and do easy stretches a few times a day. It usually clears up in a couple of days for me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

What Zax said.

I stretch before and after and I haven't had problems with pulled muscles in a long while. Sore ones, sure, but I think that's more related to the amount of running I do.

The only time I ever run inside is when I've visit my friend M1 and go to the community health club across the street. It doesn't cost anything to run on their 1/8 mile, 3 lane rubberized track. The outer lanes aren't too severe in the corners (although I've tweaked my knee a few times when my shoe didn't pivot as expected on the mat).

I need to get my ass in gear and get out the door before it decides to rain. It's mid-40's now, and not expected to get any warmer.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Thanks for the tips. Will try to stretch a bit and have ice on it now. Sucks because I was really getting into a groove with my running.

I do stretch before and after a run, probably not enough though.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I don't stretch a lot, although now with the cold weather I should probably stretch more. I never stretch when I go biking, but a few weeks ago when I did the century, both hamstrings tightened up something fierce at the first rest stop...I probably pushed my pace too much, and the cold morning temp I think flash-froze the muscles.

Before running, I typically put one foot 3 stairs higher than the other, with the rear foot extended behind me. Then I touch my toes (on the step) 10 times; the motion stretches the quads on the up leg and the hamstring on the back. Then I switch and do another set. At the end of the run, I'll usually cool down by walking 1/4 -1/2 mile...sometimes I'll feel my legs start getting tight and I'll do more than 10 reps when I stretch.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Well that worked. I didn't do crap yesterday, and stretched the sore calf a few times throughout the day and I don't even feel it this morning. Don't think I am going to run today though, will just go for a walk and see how it feels.

Thanks for the advice Zaxxon.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Woohoo! Glad you're fine. You should probably stretch a little more today just so it doesn't tighten up again.

The wind chill right now is 28Fand I have to work this afternoon, so I'm not sure I'll get out. I should try, the next few days are supposed to be partly shitty.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jeff V wrote:The wind chill right now is 28Fand I have to work this afternoon, so I'm not sure I'll get out. I should try, the next few days are supposed to be partly shitty.
Did I miss the post? When did you get a new job Jeff?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ditto.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

GreenGoo wrote:
Jeff V wrote:The wind chill right now is 28Fand I have to work this afternoon, so I'm not sure I'll get out. I should try, the next few days are supposed to be partly shitty.
No, I have a few clients that use me for their occasional IT needs. Today I put in 5 hours at the largest of the two. Over the summer, I did a little more work for them and it paid for my Colorado trip.

The job outlook remains bleak...not even a nibble in weeks.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jeff V wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
No, I have a few clients that use me for their occasional IT needs. Today I put in 5 hours at the largest of the two. Over the summer, I did a little more work for them and it paid for my Colorado trip.

The job outlook remains bleak...not even a nibble in weeks.
Some is better than none I suppose. Good luck.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

GreenGoo wrote:Some is better than none I suppose. Good luck.
Definitely. I only need about 48 more customers like that to make a living at it. :P
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

So how is everyone's running coming along?

I am running farther and faster on a regular basis now, but still only running 3 times a week. Decided this week to pick it up to 4 times a week and then eventually 5 times. I usually run 12-13 miles a week right now, so I am going for 13 miles in 4 runs this week since I am scared about recovery time after a run. My average run is 4 miles and I usually feel fine afterward. When I push it to 5-5.5 I feel it in my calves the next day.

Still not sure of my plan. Probably get two 3 milers in during the week, then a back to back 3 and 4 over the weekend. That doesn't seem like much, but I don't know how I will do with a back to back run. Probably easier than I am expecting since my fitness level is up to a reasonable level at this point.

After this week I will try to add an extra mile each week, and make one of the runs speed work.

Shoes have been a huge issue. Running stores have always told me that I need a stability shoe when I tell them of my knee/calf problems. I was still having repeated problems until I figured out I have high arches and switched to neutral shoes. Calf and knee problems went away, but shin splints are becoming a bigger issue and I was slapping my feet a lot with my new shoes.

This weekend I went to a proper running store, they had me run on a treadmill and filmed it. I am indeed a neutral shoe person, and they suggested a Nike shoe with more padding. They feel good, but very soft compared to my old shoes. Hoping these work out.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I ran last week for the first time in three weeks (didn't get to run at all in the Philippines). I ran 8 miles at what felt like a decent clip, but was horrified at the actual result. Then I was too sore to run for 3 days afterward; I was finally okay yesterday, but I didn't have the time. So today I will run again, maybe a little shorter this time until I get back up to speed.
Black Lives Matter
DonD

Post by DonD »

My goal for this year is to run a 1/2 marathon. I wanted to do the one in Worcester in June since it's local, but I'm working that weekend and can't find someone to work for me.

My long run to date is 8.5mi, so it seems very doable. I just need to figure out which one to run.
Lee

Post by Lee »

DonD wrote:My goal for this year is to run a 1/2 marathon. I wanted to do the one in Worcester in June since it's local, but I'm working that weekend and can't find someone to work for me.

My long run to date is 8.5mi, so it seems very doable. I just need to figure out which one to run.
Wow, you came a long way from the Ct5K. Nicely done.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

DonD wrote:My goal for this year is to run a 1/2 marathon. I wanted to do the one in Worcester in June since it's local, but I'm working that weekend and can't find someone to work for me.

I'm already signed up for a half this year, the 13.1 in June. I just signed up for the Shamrock Shuffle which is March 21. That race is only 8k, which is well below my average runs. Fortunately, they didn't hold me to last year's miserable time running in a blizzard, and I still get to start in a forward corral based on my 2008 performance.

I will probably spend much of the next month running a little shorter distances, but trying to run faster. After the Shamrock, I'll start stretching to long distances...I'll probably be up to 13.1 by mid-April (I could probably make the distance now, but not well).
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Ugh, my goal is just a 10k this year. I am sure I could do one now, but it wouldn't be pretty. Maybe I should try harder and set my goals higher?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If you up the distance a little each time, you will blow past 10K before you know it. It's the easiest way I know to increase distance.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

If running didn't hurt so much I would probably being doing better. Plus I think my diet and love of beer has really hurt my running.

Going to try go increase my weekly milage by 1 mile each week on top of increasing the frequency I run.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

What sort of route do you typically run? Indoor or out? Measured loops, or neighborhood streets?

I typically run outdoors. I use Nike+ to measure and time. My typical goal is set to 10km, but my typical run is 11.3km (7 miles) to 13km (8 mi). Today I will run to the post office (about 1 mile away), then a loop that brings me to the park near my house at about 9 km. One loop through the park (about 1 km) will meet the goal, running home after brings me to about 11.3km. And alternate route home ends at 13 km. I can increment it easily by adding additional loops through the park.

Since Nike+ allows precise measurement, it might work for you to simply increase .1 mile (or km, whatever your preferred unit of measure is) each run. It's only $30, and I've found it to be a great training aid. If you have it, let me know and we can hook up as friends on Nike+ and challenge either other (same goes for anyone here using Nike+).
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Pretty much only road running (occasionally I will run indoors on a track, but not often). My goal of the winter was to run outside as much as possible. In fact I am trying to talk myself into running right now but it's been snowing all morning and it's only 19 degrees out. Not the cold that worries me, but the snow/ice.

I use a Garmin GPS watch and pretty much just set it to whatever my planned workout is for the day and do that. All depends on how I feel that day. Usually if I am feeling good I run faster rather than farther. I sometimes do a weekly long run and gradually increase it (should be at 6 miles this week, but since my plan is to run more often now, that would be too many extra miles on the week). Problem is my long run usually hurts enough I don't run for a couple of days after.

I think a big problem is a lack of a real plan (on top of diet/alcohol), and too often I skip a run I shouldn't. It's hard to be motivated to run in the winter. I really can't wait for Spring.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Spring will be nice. I had a good run today -- 12 km again (I was going to do less, but a stopped train blocked the crossing near my house so I ran the detour to the underpass). This time though my times were much better, a full 30 seconds per km faster than last week. :shock: So maybe now I won't scale back on distance; if I can shave another 5-8 seconds by March 31, I should have a good race.

Tonight through Wednesday we're supposed to be hit with snow storm though. Not only does that lay me up a few days, but it also results in perhaps many days of slow-going running atop ice and irregular snow pack. For the moment, I am using trail running shoes I bought a month ago to replace the running shoes I got last summer that were falling to pieces. I'll probably switch back to regular running shoes come spring; in the mean time, these shoes do offer surer footing in these conditions.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Check out Hal Higdon's site for some good training plans for whatever distance you choose. He has several for each distance, ranging from 'minimum work required' to 'let's try to kick some ass,' and I've had good success with them.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

How about the Run to Remember on May 30? Check out the course map. This race runs through the heart of Boston even more than the Boston Marathon does, and that long river stretch is a great place for running--it goes along my usual running route (when the weather is warmer).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I just got spam from the Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon in Chicago August 1. I suppose I could just stay in reasonable shape after the June half. If I sign up now, I get a free t-shirt. I kind of wanted to do the race last summer, but it sold out. I did the Rock'n'Roll Half in Phoenix a few years ago and it was a blast.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Zaxxon wrote:Check out Hal Higdon's site for some good training plans for whatever distance you choose. He has several for each distance, ranging from 'minimum work required' to 'let's try to kick some ass,' and I've had good success with them.
Thanks, you posted a link to his site earlier in the thread. I am basing my workouts loosely on of his plans. Just need to adjust my patterns a bit.
DonD

Post by DonD »

wonderpug wrote:

How about the Run to Remember on May 30? Check out the course map. This race runs through the heart of Boston even more than the Boston Marathon does, and that long river stretch is a great place for running--it goes along my usual running route (when the weather is warmer).
Bookmarked. I'll have to check my work schedule tomorrow to see if I'm off that weekend. I appreciate being able to run and contribute to a good cause.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lee wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Check out Hal Higdon's site for some good training plans for whatever distance you choose. He has several for each distance, ranging from 'minimum work required' to 'let's try to kick some ass,' and I've had good success with them.
Thanks, you posted a link to his site earlier in the thread. I am basing my workouts loosely on of his plans. Just need to adjust my patterns a bit.
Heh; sorry. I lose track of which threads I've posted that in, as it's been more than a couple.
DonD

Post by DonD »

DonD wrote:
wonderpug wrote:

Bookmarked. I'll have to check my work schedule tomorrow to see if I'm off that weekend. I appreciate being able to run and contribute to a good cause.
Well I signed up and convinced a friend to run it with me. What about you, pug? Will you be running it?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Thinking about it. Have to see what dates some other plans fall onto, but if I can make it work I'd love to do it. Only half marathon I've done is the BAA one in the fall (which is a lot of fun as well).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

wonderpug wrote:Thinking about it. Have to see what dates some other plans fall onto, but if I can make it work I'd love to do it. Only half marathon I've done is the BAA one in the fall (which is a lot of fun as well).
Hmm...you should commit to the race so you can ensure other plans don't interfere with race day, not vice-versa. You are talking like someone looking for an excuse NOT to do it! :P

I have yet to observe a single case where someone begs off to wait and see what happens with yet-undetermined plans to then say "okay, it looks all clear" and goes. I've done it myself. If it's something I do want to do, then it get's scheduled if there is nothing currently on the calendar. If I don't really want to do it, I'm sure I can come up with SOME excuse to keep from committing before it's too late.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started the Couch to 5K again this week. As you can see from my post above I started back in September but with the new baby it was tough to keep it going, and I only managed to make it to Week 6. Now that she's a little older it's become a lot easier to squeeze in the time to knock it out. The good news is that I still managed to lose most of my "baby weight" over the holidays last year, so I'm starting in a good place.

Week 1 has been a breeze so far - even though I haven't done the program in a few months, my endurance seems to be pretty good. I just can't wait until the weather warms up so my wife and the baby can go with me.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Good luck YK, keep with it.

I have to agree with Jeff, commit to the run Wonderpug.

Of course I have not committed to any races myself yet. Haven't even looked. Will sign up for the Boulder Boulder 10K soon as I can though.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lee wrote:Will sign up for the Boulder Boulder 10K soon as I can though.
I find your idea intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote:I started the Couch to 5K again this week. As you can see from my post above I started back in September but with the new baby it was tough to keep it going,
don't be a wimp. a baby can't weigh more than a few pounds. luke did it with yoda, for cryin' out loud.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And seriously, how heavy is a couch? I think you can get the couch at least to 10k.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's not really the baby so much as trying to run with the diaper bag. :D