Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

A nonny mouse

Re: Running

Post by A nonny mouse »

coopasonic wrote:
A nonny mouse wrote:Nature sounds can be fun, kids! don't be afraid. :P
Sounds mostly like traffic and lawn mowers to me.

Ha ha. That's one of the reasons I like the early morning. no one around and very little traffic. Birds, the occasional opossum - which are fairly quiet (I actually almost stepped on one that had ambled out onto the sidewalk ! :) ) and not much else. nearly as good as being the last person in town. I'm not a big people person, if you didn't pick up on that.

Do you have any trails or greenways around you? To each his own, I just have to listen to so much blather and other stuff all the time, the nature and quiet helps me focus. And I love music, just not when I'm running. Think of it like Daredevil. you are training your ears as you are running. I sound very hippie-ish "being one with the running." I can't explain it. I just get into a state of awareness and unfocus-focus.

AND Jeff, you just have to make the wheeze part of the zen focus. kind of like the ohm chant. :D
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'd rather focus on an audiobook. Otherwise, I tend to focus on how much I hate running.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

A nonny mouse wrote:Do you have any trails or greenways around you?
Have a look:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.1883764 ... a=!3m1!1e3

I think there is a trail up to the northeast a bit, but I haven't check it out yet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

10K is my usual running distance, but I never actually ran a 10K race until this past Saturday. Conditions were shit (downpour and about 50 degrees), but it was still fun. And since I've never actually done a 10K race before, my time of 46:33 is a PR by default, so there's that, too. :)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I listen to NPR on my 1986? Walkman radio (no tape player, analog, weighs like 3oz) or to my long list of showtunes on my phone when I'm using that. I also intersperse the phone runs with Zombies, Run! stories.

Well that's what I used to do. Right now I'm a flab-demon that needs to get back outside. I need a few more strands to break in my lethargy bonds. They're self-woven, the strongest kind. So close!

I did spend a few $ to get the Zombies, Run C25k app the other day even though I have their original app. I do enjoy running fartleks whenever the zombies start chasing me.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

killbot737 wrote:I listen to NPR on my 1986? Walkman radio (no tape player, analog, weighs like 3oz) or to my long list of showtunes on my phone when I'm using that. I also intersperse the phone runs with Zombies, Run! stories.

Well that's what I used to do. Right now I'm a flab-demon that needs to get back outside. I need a few more strands to break in my lethargy bonds. They're self-woven, the strongest kind. So close!

I did spend a few $ to get the Zombies, Run C25k app the other day even though I have their original app. I do enjoy running fartleks whenever the zombies start chasing me.
If I had to create the antithesis of a running mix for my own use, it would be full of NPR and showtunes! But to each his own. Whatever gets you out there is what you need.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I wonder if it's because I don't think of running as "working out" but instead more like "traveling"? That's the sort of stuff I listen to when I'm driving, so I probably just carried it over to running.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kurth wrote:10K is my usual running distance, but I never actually ran a 10K race until this past Saturday. Conditions were shit (downpour and about 50 degrees), but it was still fun. And since I've never actually done a 10K race before, my time of 46:33 is a PR by default, so there's that, too. :)
That's awesome!

I've done very few 10K runs, although that (more like 11K) was my standard training distance. When I was running that is.

No word yet if the MIL is going to come anytime soon and allow me to resume running. I just got my 2nd and 3rd bike rides of the year in the past few days..BK (Before Kids) I'd be pushing 1000 miles by now.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Next up: Hood To Coast: Washington. Race is June 3, and we just got our start time . . . 3:30 AM.
Teams of six will run 77 miles with each participant completing two legs along the 12-leg race course; walking teams of 4-6 will trek 52 miles along an eight-leg course. All legs will feature an electrolyte and water stop, and smooth traffic. Racers will experience the beauty of western Washington as each leg showcases something special, like scenic waterways, the serene forests, and the Pacific Ocean. This event will be capped at 250 teams.
Hood To Coast Washington will be a primarily flat, fast, and friendly journey starting near Lake Isabella State Park, through the Olympic National Forest, along the Chehalis River and Grays Harbor, eventually ending at the state’s best kept secret—the coastal community of Seabrook, located on the Pacific Ocean.

I'm running legs 3 and 9:

Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I have signed up for my first half-marathon. I plan to run at old, arthritic man pace because I'm an old, arthritic man. With fancy, undeserved shoes.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Good luck. Those fancy shoes are as important as good tires on a car.

With my MiL's arrival imminent, I'll finally be able to bike and run again. At least, I'll have no child-related barriers to get in the way. It's been more than a year and a half since I ran outside (2015 Half Marathon in Naperville), more than a year since even on a hamster wheel. I'll truly be starting from scratch.
Black Lives Matter
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I started running a month and a half ago (I used to only do like 5 minutes on a threadmill after my gym session, clearly not enough) and at 34 it's surprisingly hard to get in shape.

I'm allllmost at my first objective of 5km in 30 minutes (did 4.86 in 31 last week).
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Vorret wrote:I started running a month and a half ago (I used to only do like 5 minutes on a threadmill after my gym session, clearly not enough) and at 34 it's surprisingly hard to get in shape.

I'm allllmost at my first objective of 5km in 30 minutes (did 4.86 in 31 last week).
5k in 30 minutes is not bad at all for a newbie even at your young age.

Fun fact: My PR for 5k is 17:45. I will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of that record in November.

I really need to run more.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My cousin does trail ultras. He did 100 miler last year that took him 30 hours. THIRTY HOURS.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

A Fast Mile Is More Impressive Than a Slow Marathon
Last year, speaking to Outside, ultrarunner Rickey Gates made the following observation while reflecting on Mount Marathon, the brief but notoriously brutal mountain race in Seward, Alaska: “There’s a great fascination with ultras being harder than other races,” Gates said, “but the mile is every bit as difficult as 100 miles if you apply yourself to it.”

Coming from a guy who is currently wrapping up a 4,000-mile run across the country, the notion that four laps around a track can potentially pose a serious challenge might seem a little surprising. The mile is every bit as difficult as 100 miles? How can that be the case?
In high school, I had a running mentor of sorts who insisted that the 800 meters (two laps around a track) was the toughest track and field event. His rationale was that the half-mile is essentially “a two-lap sprint,” requiring an almost all-out effort from the gun. The 1,500 meters was long enough that you could relax and find a groove. In the 400 meters, meanwhile, you had the psychological edge of knowing the race was just one lap. But the 800 was vicious. Two minutes of pure agony.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote:
Vorret wrote:I started running a month and a half ago (I used to only do like 5 minutes on a threadmill after my gym session, clearly not enough) and at 34 it's surprisingly hard to get in shape.

Fun fact: My PR for 5k is 17:45. I will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of that record in November.

Damn, Coop . . . that is fast!!!

I'm doing a half marathon a week from this Saturday (8/5) - the HTC Crawfish Crawl in nearby Tualitin, OR. I've only done one other half, Back in Boston nearly 5 years ago:
861 234/878 M3039 1:43:19 7:53 1:44:18
I'm hoping to beat my 38 year old self and push my time below 1:40. It's going to be challenging. I did a 14 mile run yesterday and pushed it to maintain a 7:45 mile pace. I'd have to drop down to 7:40 to get under 1:40 for the half.

In other news, I just got drafted onto a Hood To Coast team and will be enduring that event in late August. I'm runner 6, so I'll be doing legs 6, 18 and 30:

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

Damn, Coop . . . that is fast!!!

I'm doing a half marathon a week from this Saturday (8/5) - the HTC Crawfish Crawl in nearby Tualitin, OR. I've only done one other half, Back in Boston nearly 5 years ago:
861 234/878 M3039 1:43:19 7:53 1:44:18
I'm hoping to beat my 38 year old self and push my time below 1:40. It's going to be challenging. I did a 14 mile run yesterday and pushed it to maintain a 7:45 mile pace. I'd have to drop down to 7:40 to get under 1:40 for the half.
A 7:40 pace for a half marathon as an old person is crazy. I could probably do a 7:40 mile now, but I would die at the end of it.

It was only fast enough for #23 in our region. #1 was in the 15:xx range.

My half PR is 1:23:16 1:26:13. The first mile of it was also my mile PR (4:37). That was 29 years ago.

I am not sure I could ever do a half again from a time investment.
Last edited by coopasonic on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ideally, you don't want to leave anything left in the tank when you run a race. If you have the energy for a sprint to the finish at the end, you've been dogging it. A fast mile is equally as impressive as a slower marathon (or any distance for that matter) if you gave it your all. I would, however, venture it's easier to maintain mental toughness to maintain a pace for a fast mile knowing it's going to be over in a few minutes compared to a marathon, where you might have quite some time to deal with it. When I ran my marathon, both calves nearly charlreyhorsed at the 19 mile mark and the pain was dominant over the next 4 miles.
Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Y'all are way too fast for me. My primary goal is just to finish, but I'll be happy if I'm under 2:30. :mrgreen:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote:Damn, Coop . . . that is fast!!!
I never did the math on it. 5:44 pace. Hey, that is pretty quick. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just finished my last run of the month at 7.5 miles. Got it in before the temp starts climbing through the roof - in the Portland area, we're expecting a crazy heatwave the next few days (highs Tues - Fri ranging from 101 to 108).

But for July, I hit my best ever monthly run total: 27 runs; 175.9 miles; 7:50/mi avg. pace.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That's nice (and quick). I'd be lucky to break 50 miles in a month... well, I guess luck is not really the right word. I only run on the weekends and generally don't do more than 10-12 miles on a weekend. My long run is about 8 miles and if I do that I am not doing another long run. I really need to replace the elliptical in our bedroom with a treadmill so I can run when the weather doesn't cooperate... or use the gym at work that I already pay for. Yeah I don't really have any good excuses.

I think I have a sciatic nerve issue. It takes 1-1.5 miles before the pain goes away. It is the worst in the first half mile where it is a struggle to keep running, then it abates. I was doing better this spring before this issue cropped up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice, Kurth. That's a bigly number. Yuge!

I haven't posted much here lately, but I've still been running (though not as much as in prior years). I'm at 416 mi for the year, shooting for 800. Have to pick it up a bit to get there. I ran a half in June and am signed up for a 15k in Oct. Fun times!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Happy to see others are still running. I am too. Latest developments -

I was running in May and had some knee pain on the treadmill at mile 10 of a 15 long run. It was sharp, and wasn't going away. Uh-oh. So I stopped. After some internet self-diagnosing, the painful area was actually the top of my tibia. According to all the pictures i could dig up, there were no ligament/soft tissue kind of injuries in my affected area. So I figured it was a tibial fracture. Work was busy at the time - and it wasn't painful to walk; just to run. So I didn't get an xray, but did shelve all running for 6-8 weeks.

Starting to run again in the middle of June. Started slow and worked back up. Ran a slow 10k on July 4th, relatively pain-free (just typical aches and such).

Just got back from California where I ran the San Francisco Marathon on July 23. It was marathon 15, and state number 13. The time was my worst result ever, but again - it was pain-free with not nearly enough training. I'll take it, and San Fran was a lot of fun. So an overall win.

Next up - Twin Cities Marathon. Oct 1. It has gotten good reviews and will knock MN off my list.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice. 15 marathons; sheesh.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Zaxxon wrote:Nice. 15 marathons; sheesh.
It's not quite as bad as it seems. I only do 2 or 3 a year. And it's an excuse to get around and travel. And when training, I get to eat/drink more calories. But yeah, I know I'm crazy.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Baroquen wrote:I only do 2 or 3 a year.
I've done 2 in my lifetime. :) Although I do get it, as I'm addicted to half-marathons and have done a couple dozen of those at least. Currently I'm enjoying watching my much-more-talented-than-I brother prep for a BQ attempt.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I ran a half in 1988.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote:
Baroquen wrote:I only do 2 or 3 a year.
I've done 2 in my lifetime. :) Although I do get it, as I'm addicted to half-marathons and have done a couple dozen of those at least. Currently I'm enjoying watching my much-more-talented-than-I brother prep for a BQ attempt.
When I trained for the one marathon I ran, I thought a positive side effect would be the ease of which I was able to run the half-marathon distance and that I would do more halfs with improved times. My split time on the marathon was my second-fastest half ever. But the marathon left me broken...by the time I could get back to running any sort of distance, I lost it. I ran one half since (last time I ran outside!) and managed to come in 3 seconds faster than the time I anticipated when I signed up for it -- but it was grueling. I really do need to retrain myself from the ground up (and that can start in about 17 days).
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Both of my kids are interested in Running and have joined local running clubs for kids, and my wife loves to run.

Here I am, a 240+ pound almost middle-age guy who hated gym class and never runs, and I'm trying to run with my kids so I can be a part of something they enjoy. All three can outrun me. 6, 8, and 34. It's f##king brutal, man. The only thing I got going for me is that I'm actually faster in a dead sprint than my wife, but that's over pretty quick.

I have the grim distinction of being 39 and having a record time of 1.5 miles in 15 minutes at best - when I was 20, and doing the physical assessment to work as a Corrections Officer... It took me a couple of weeks of dedicated practice to get that far. I think I started at something like 20 minutes for 1.5 miles.

I'll never be a Runner, but I'll certainly try and run with my kids.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Take it slow and you'll get there.
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

I bought a cheapie heart monitor that pairs with my cheapie step band. That way, the medical team will have data to review as they try to infer the exact cause.

My event is seven weeks out. Should I expect to see change in average pace and heart rate over that time? Or does the needle budge more slowly?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Grundbegriff wrote:My event is seven weeks out. Should I expect to see change in average pace and heart rate over that time? Or does the needle budge more slowly?
Average page, for sure. Heart rate? It's been too long since I seriously tracked my heart rate for me to have any insight.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

When I was training with a heart rate monitor; I ran to a specific rate (IIRC, 155). That was a sustainable number...any higher and I fatigued much quicker. Any lower, and I was dogging it. The total time of the run varied a bit but generally improved -- weather played some roll (that summer was often hot and humid) and some days you just have it more than others. This was leading up to my first half-marathon; I felt prepared going into that race but got my ass kicked race day with a worse performance than the past two months of training! (Zaxxon probably remembers that race...he was there. Because of train delays, I had to run about a mile with a pack to just barely make it to the race start in time!)
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Good times.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, it wasn't the worst race experience I've had. That's a toss up between a spring race in 2011 where the black flag was hoisted, canceling the race because of extreme heat and humidity that led to a death -- but I was too out of it to notice thanks to working until 2 am the night before and plodded on several miles thinking I just kept missing the timing clocks when they were indeed turned off; and a race in Cebu, Philippines where it was hot, humid and smoggy, and just 2 days earlier I was able to put on shoes after being laid up 2 weeks with a leg infection so I lacked in both acclimatization and general fitness.
Black Lives Matter
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Grundbegriff wrote:I bought a cheapie heart monitor that pairs with my cheapie step band. That way, the medical team will have data to review as they try to infer the exact cause.

My event is seven weeks out. Should I expect to see change in average pace and heart rate over that time? Or does the needle budge more slowly?
It depends. (Gotta love that answer, huh?)

If you're generally going the same pace as you normally do and just going a little farther each week, then you'll not see much change. But in seven weeks you can definitely see at least some change, especially if you can improve your speed along with your endurance in that time.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Paingod wrote:I'll never be a Runner, but I'll certainly try and run with my kids.
If you run, then you're a runner. Plain and simple!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Did my first half in 5 years this past weekend (only my second actual half marathon race). I got a PR, so I'm happy to report that 42+ me is faster than 38 year old me! :horse:

Next up, Hood To Coast on 8/25-8/26.