Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Running

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Running

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:34 pm
stessier wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:21 pm
Keep it up Coop!

I've lost it. Maybe it's the state of the world getting to me, maybe it's because my neighborhood doesn't allow runs to be safe and easy, or maybe I just need a break - but I'm finding it really hard to get out an run. Last week I only did 4x. I'm on pace for about that this week. I'm finding video games much more appealing and this is bad for my waste line. Hopefully I find my way out of it soon.
Thanks for the encouragement, but then you immediately shame me with your "only 4 runs last week"! Kidding, mostly. But consistently running 4x a week seems pretty good to me. I have been thinking about options to do something on the off days because generally I get 700-800 steps and maybe 3 flights of stairs on days I don't run. That... is pathetic. On a normal day when the world was normal I would have 6k steps and 10-12 flights just doing work stuff. My wife wants to do various beach body workouts but after my back surgery I am way more afraid about a lot of that stuff. Also, video games are more fun! I guess I can go back to Beat Saber and Thrill of the Fight on VR for the best of both worlds.
I will sign you up for the next available Ragnar post-haste.

stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote:
stessier wrote:
Keep it up Coop!

I've lost it. Maybe it's the state of the world getting to me, maybe it's because my neighborhood doesn't allow runs to be safe and easy, or maybe I just need a break - but I'm finding it really hard to get out an run. Last week I only did 4x. I'm on pace for about that this week. I'm finding video games much more appealing and this is bad for my waste line. Hopefully I find my way out of it soon.
Thanks for the encouragement, but then you immediately shame me with your "only 4 runs last week"! Kidding, mostly. But consistently running 4x a week seems pretty good to me.
Sorry, that wasn't the intent. We've always been different runners - you have run mile times I've only seen on TV. My mileage is a bit more (and hence I run more often). Comparing between runners is usually not useful - comparing yourself to your past self or goals is more productive (imo).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles

coopasonic
Loading…

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:49 pm
Comparing between runners is usually not useful - comparing yourself to your past self or goals is more productive (imo).
I was just kidding on the shame thing. I am a big boy. :)

As far as comparing to our past selves, can we not go there? Past Coop did a half in under 90 minutes, 5k in under 18 and mile in under 5.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic
Loading…

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:36 pm
coopasonic wrote:
stessier wrote:
Keep it up Coop!

Thanks for the encouragement, but then you immediately shame me with your "only 4 runs last week"! Kidding, mostly. But consistently running 4x a week seems pretty good to me. I have been thinking about options to do something on the off days because generally I get 700-800 steps and maybe 3 flights of stairs on days I don't run. That... is pathetic. On a normal day when the world was normal I would have 6k steps and 10-12 flights just doing work stuff. My wife wants to do various beach body workouts but after my back surgery I am way more afraid about a lot of that stuff. Also, video games are more fun! I guess I can go back to Beat Saber and Thrill of the Fight on VR for the best of both worlds.
I will sign you up for the next available Ragnar post-haste.
That's one way to get me to run... away!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:11 pm
That's one way to get me to run... away!
Either way, you're runnin'.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

No matter how slow you run, you're going faster than the guy sitting on his couch. I can't tell you how many times I have to remind myself of that when I'm out there clomping along. :D

raydude

Post by raydude »

57deg this morning. Apparently I do better in colder weather because I was able to run 4.5 miles, my longest yet!

stessier

Post by stessier »

raydude wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:36 am
57deg this morning. Apparently I do better in colder weather because I was able to run 4.5 miles, my longest yet!
Oh yeah, cold weather is great. I can knock a minute/mile off my time when comparing runs from mid-July to mid-October (even when controlling to level of fitness).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I ran for 12 minutes on the treadmill yesterday, thats my longest stint yet since my injury. I stopped then, I could feel myself start to limping. But it was still pretty awesome.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started messing around with the Pear fitness app because they have a lot of audio-led runs which I really like. Signed up for the "Running to 5K" program thinking it would be an easy way to get back on track. What I didn't realize is that they assumed you had already finished their run/walk course, so this started you day one with running 30 minutes straight.

However, I did manage to make it through and felt great this morning so I think I'll stick with it. I've settled on a running 3x a week, cycling 3x a week with a Sunday rest day. Also incorporating some body weight exercises in 3-4x a week.

I'm still not losing any weight, but dammit nobody can accuse me of not working out every day.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

stessier wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:22 am
raydude wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:36 am
Oh yeah, cold weather is great. I can knock a minute/mile off my time when comparing runs from mid-July to mid-October (even when controlling to level of fitness).
I’ve been in Jacksonville FL for almost a week now, and I’m still not used to running in this humidity. Getting up way earlier than I’d like to try to get my run in before the sun comes up, but it’s still brutal. Like running through a swamp!
The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it -- John Gilmore

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 am
I’ve been in Jacksonville FL for almost a week now, and I’m still not used to running in this humidity. Getting up way earlier than I’d like to try to get my run in before the sun comes up, but it’s still brutal. Like running through a swamp!
Humidity is the worst. I'm spoiled by living in Denver these days, and when I visit family in Illinois or Tennessee I find myself wanting to exchange the newfound oxygen for a reduction in humidity...

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:38 am
Kurth wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 am
Humidity is the worst. I'm spoiled by living in Denver these days, and when I visit family in Illinois or Tennessee I find myself wanting to exchange the newfound oxygen for a reduction in humidity...
Yeah, humidity sucks. But just after I posted that, I got a text from my friend I usually run with in OR, and he said he's hasn't been able to run outside for a week now. And even running inside is impossible due to the smoke. His treadmill is in his garage, and he got dizzy and almost passed out when he tried to do a 5K this morning.

Made me remember that this is what it looked like from my deck when we left:

So, I'll take the Florida humidity and immediately cease and desist from my complaining.
The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it -- John Gilmore

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It really is insane. Nothing that extreme here in CO, but between our own fires and what we've gotten from CA, the air quality has been noticeably worse. To the point where our Rockies often look like the Smoky Mountains from Denver. I can certainly tell the difference while running outside.