Stargate: Universe

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daveman

Stargate: Universe

Post by Daveman »

I thought the premiere was good, although it certainly seems to be a gritty, "character driven" reboot of Stargate: Atlantis in concept so far. Felt like the producers were taking notes off Battlestar Galactica pretty well. None of the characters screamed "annoying" to me which is a good first sign... in fact I rather liked many of them. The brief appearances of many SG-1 regulars was a nice touch too.

Can't say much else thus far... the 2 hours went by pretty fast but not a whole lot happened besides introducing the characters. Again, another seeming shift in focus from the usual SG sci-fi stuff.
dbt1949

Re: Stargate: Universe

Post by dbt1949 »

I wasn't overly impressed with it last night but they were just introducing the characters and got rid of the most annoying one right away. The second part must be next Friday. After that we'll see how the episodes go.
One annoying part last night is we have no idea where their base was and who was attacking it. I gather it was another planet and the ships did kind of look like the goa'uld.
I gather Lou Diamond Phillips is a main character from the previews I've seen but he just had a bit part last night so their situation at their present location must not be permanent.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

dbt1949 wrote:I wasn't overly impressed with it last night but they were just introducing the characters and got rid of the most annoying one right away. The second part must be next Friday. After that we'll see how the episodes go.
Agreed.
I gather Lou Diamond Phillips is a main character from the previews I've seen but he just had a bit part last night so their situation at their present location must not be permanent.
Spoiler:
Yeah, but it also looked like his ship blew up during the attack. He's only been shown in flashbacks so far. Speaking of which, they probably could have done a better job switching between current stuff and past stuff. I had no problem following it but my sister was all sorts of confused (granted, she has issues following film/tv where they switch around a lot).
pengo

Post by pengo »

Spoiler:
They were being attacked by the Lucian Alliance*. A break away group from the Ja'far nation I believe. And RDA is getting fat. I believe LDP got on board the hammond as per Carter's message to him; to get on board asap as they are jumping to hyperspace in 2 mins.

The Lucian Alliance is a coalition of former smugglers and mercenaries who have banded together to take advantage of the power vacuum left by the demise of the Goa'uld.
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Lucian_Alliance" target="_blank
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is the show intelligible for someone who's never seen any SG before? I recorded it but haven't committed to watching it yet, and the DVR thingie's hard drive is nearly full.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ironrod wrote:Is the show intelligible for someone who's never seen any SG before? I recorded it but haven't committed to watching it yet, and the DVR thingie's hard drive is nearly full.

I wouldn't think so. Just don't worry too much about the past and take things as they come.

And yeh, I was shocked to see how much weight RDA had put on. And Pengo, how did you figure out who the enemy was? I remember them from the series but were they mentioned at the beginning of the show? I must of missed that.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
pengo

Post by pengo »

Hey dbt, Carter says it when speaking to RDA.

Ironrod, this show is setup in the first part for people new to SG, there is a lot of exposition from the charactors. Otherwise you can always go to the wiki I linked to for anything you are unsure about after watching.
Spoiler:
the timer at the end, it seems like sliders... there is a lot of hate for this premiere/show so far from the geeks, blaming it being too like battlestar galactica and like a stargate voyager
also they are not liking how the uss george hammond had not asgard beam weapons and so could make short work of the ha'taks (the pyramid ships). Tho from reading stargate forum posts, this is explained that it could be that the ship was put into service before it was fully ready. As the show apparently is set just days or weeks after the end of atlantis and all the other capital ships are away in service, so they needed a ship to use for transport. Tho one would have thought the gate at the secret base could just dial out to earth instead of earth dialing it - as explained by rush (it can only dial out not in)

also a lot of people seem to have a problem with the sex scene, as brief as it was. geez not much happened u just saw a bit of leg they were otherwise fully clothed, bloody prudes..
Last edited by pengo on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Ironrod, there really isn't much you need to know. Stargates take people places and were built a long time ago. Everything else is fresh.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think tonight we'll watch the first part of the Ken Burns National Parks series. Either watching it or deleting it would free up enough recording space to postpone the SG decision for a little while. We still have 2 seasons of BSG to finish before I want to commit to another sf series.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I'd say this series is meant to be something of a fresh start, so picking it up now shouldn't be too hard. The only real "detailed" stuff they mentioned was that the base was attacked by the Lucian Alliance, a group introduced in the later season or two of SG-1. It was a brief, almost offhand comment that wasn't terribly important in the episode... but a new watcher might get sidetracked asking why they attacked, who they were, etc. As far as this episode was concerned, I don't think they were important at all, they were just the motivation for the team activating the stargate and going through.

Then again, this is Stargate, with 10+ years of SG-1 and SG:Atlantis behind it. Who knows how much lore they might introduce if the show goes on? I'm still struck by how SG:U is starting out a lot like SG:Atlantis, but they eventually managed to reunite the Atlantis crew with the rest of the SG world.

As for Lou Diamond Phillips... maybe he will be present in flashbacks and/or communication with the Ancient devices? IMDB shows him in 7 episodes.

At a quick glance, I kept thinking the medic was Scarlet Johannsen. Maybe it's in part because her character's name is Jonansen :P
Wargus

Post by Wargus »

I watched it today online and enjoyed it. I love that you can catch TV online now - I don't have to be married to a time-slot for shows (no DVR here).
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

i have TIVO'd it but will probably not watch it until Monday or Tuesday.......football tomorrow...
Black Lives Matter
pengo

Post by pengo »

Wargus wrote:I watched it today online and enjoyed it. I love that you can catch TV online now - I don't have to be married to a time-slot for shows (no DVR here).

Yeah channel BT is awesome.
Davidbld

Post by Davidbld »

pengo wrote:
Wargus wrote:I watched it today online and enjoyed it. I love that you can catch TV online now - I don't have to be married to a time-slot for shows (no DVR here).

Yeah channel BT is awesome.
Hulu just posted it today, never heard of channel BT (I dont even have cable...do I even need it with High speed internet?). I liked it, though I'm gonna need more time to like the characters.

Dave
No matter where you go...there you are...
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

Not bad. As others have said, it's a bit like how Atlantis started out. I thought I was going to dislike the more serious/dramatic take on Stargate but it's alright so far. I guess all I can say right now is that it has potential.

Being a big fan of the other shows, I had some nerd issues with certain things, but nothing major. Mostly stuff to do with the Ancients. Though it's not as if they haven't shat all over their Ancient lore in the past. They constantly rewrite and change the whole "WTF were the Ancients up to?" stuff and it bugs the crap out of me every single time. They never bother trying to be consistent.
qp

Post by qp »

Hmm, not sure yet. If they go for the plodding, constant depressing aura that eventually drove us away from BSG, then forget it. If they pick things up with a decent story arc, etc it might be decent. I guess it's really too early to tell. I have to say that I don't care for the darker tone, it's just not SG IMO. On the other hand, after something like the Ori, they've really got no where to go if you know what I mean. Maybe these people on the ship will learn to ascend :)

Also doesn't seem to be any standout characters, but that's often just timing as well But not seeing any O'Neill, Daniel, or McKay yet :)
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
pengo

Post by pengo »

Its going to be Stargate: Battlestar Sliders Voyager ;), just doesn't seem to roll of the tongue.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Stargate: BSG, New Voyager Sliders.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Flatlander

Post by Flatlander »

Stargate: BSG, Voyager, Sliders, Lost?
Rawrkan

Post by Rawrkan »

Stargate: BSG, Voyager, Sliders, Lost in Space
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think they should bring back Sliders. A new generation of Sliders.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Watched it. liked it overall. Hated the time jumping . Always have always will. Not sure I trust some of them. Like the look of the ship.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

An awful lot of the characters are getting on my nerves, but then I had some issues with some of the characters in SG-1 and Atlantis when they first came out. I'll give it a little longer to see how it plays out.
I was surprised to see Lou Diamond Philips apparently alive and undamaged back at headquarters.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Got bumped so I could watch the Red Sox lose again. I'll have to find out when it gets replayed.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Doesn't the syfy channel have it available for viewing?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
pengo

Post by pengo »

Spoiler:
So are the two guys who went to the other planet lost for good? Hmm wonder what the ship at the end is leading too
According to IMDB the woman character only does 2 episodes. Air 1 and 3. So yep her and that soldier got left behind. Well at least the solider and her can start a new race on the other planet if it can support life!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just thought of something from the opener.
Spoiler:
3 or 4 Lucien Alliance ships attack the Hammond. That ship is Stargates latest and greatest. It has Asgard shield AND beam weapons. The very same weapons that could take out Ori ships in 3 shots. So why is it when the planet blows that there are still 3 or 4 Lucien ships ?? They should have blown them to bits within the first 1 minute.
pengo

Post by pengo »

Daehawk wrote:I just thought of something from the opener.
Spoiler:
3 or 4 Lucien Alliance ships attack the Hammond. That ship is Stargates latest and greatest. It has Asgard shield AND beam weapons. The very same weapons that could take out Ori ships in 3 shots. So why is it when the planet blows that there are still 3 or 4 Lucien ships ?? They should have blown them to bits within the first 1 minute.
Spoiler:
This was discussed on the gateworld forums and the conclusion is, this ship was only recently put into service and so doesnt have asgard beam weapons. Due to losing ships to the Peagus Galaxy and needing a transport ship for Icarus base, they fast tracked this ship for service. Also not expecting to be attacked enroute or at the research base they didn't believe beam weapons were needed right away. Thus why it only has railguns. Another theory is and more along the lines of Occam's Razor - Lucian Alliance caught them off guard and took out the beam weapons.

This explanation fits since its used as the plot device to get to Destiny. It is not known exactly when SGU occurs in the timeline but TPTB have stated its only a few weeks after the last episode of SGA.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Watched the second episode on Hulu just now.
Spoiler:
So, ah, what is the spacecraft taking off from theirs at the end?
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Kelric wrote:
Spoiler:
So, ah, what is the spacecraft taking off from theirs at the end?
Spoiler:
My first thought was that it's some automated probe that Destiny has presumably been sending out on its journey, seeding stargates on notable planets. But who knows. I believe they only have access so far to a small portion of the ship... perhaps there's others on board and the ship is with them?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Spoiler:
It's the Millennium Falcon.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Sounds more Voyager than Lost in Space. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoiler:
Could it be the shuttle with the dead guy in it from the first ep?
pengo

Post by pengo »

Spoiler:
Its alien as the design is definately not ancient and ancients don't design anything with a red propulsion system ;)

Also its not a shuttle as the shuttles are a different design and also appear to be located in marked shuttlepads like helipads.

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9084/uefo.jpg" target="_blank Really good closeup of it!
http://mrpburke.com/fileupload/uploads/new_picture.bmp" target="_blank
http://mrpburke.com/fileupload/uploa..._picture_1.bmp" target="_blank
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im wonder what propulsion the big ship uses. Its an Ancient ship so why does it hagve a non standard engine?
pengo

Post by pengo »

What do you mean non standard? You saying its non standard coz its a FTL drive not a hyperdrive?

Also if I understand things in stargate right Destiny is Milkyway-Ancient tech not Atlantean-Ancient tech, so its "newer" tech than whats seen in atlantis - since they left atlantis (pegasus) to goto earth (milky way).
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

No. The Ancients sort of originated on Earth (they started in some other galaxy, with the Ori, but we know pretty much nothing of that stuff). Then some of them went to Pegasus. Then they came back to the Milky Way. Of course I'm leaving out a lot. You can read about them on the wikipedia page. There's probably even better sources somewhere online. As I said earlier in the thread, they keep screwing with their Ancient history and stuff. It can be hard to follow.

I'm not sure what sort of drive the Destiny uses. I'm thinking perhaps it is a wormhole drive similar to the one that was implemented in the last episode of Atlantis. Even though it was said that the Ancients gave up on that technology. Who knows. They screw with the Ancient stuff enough that they could say "No, that's just what they thought it said". Or something.
pengo

Post by pengo »

Its not a wormhole drive I don't think, i think its just like star trek FTL travel.
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

Yeah now that I think about it, I don't really think it's the wormhole drive either. So you're suggesting subspace rather than hyperspace. Warp as opposed to hyperdrive. It could be something like that.

Whatever it is, it's something new to us. In order for a stargate to make a connection, the ship couldn't be in hyperspace (I believe this answers Daehawk's earlier question). It also couldn't be in another wormhole. So, that rules out both types of faster than light drives that we currently know of in the Stargate universe.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I believe they stated in the 1st episode that the drive took them FTL without going into hyperspace or thru a wormhole. Thats about all theyve said so far.
Also I agree that they seem to be a little loose with ancient history but I tend to look at it like any historical information... that is that most of what we know of our own history is continually subject to change as we discover new information. Our own historical records are colored by bias and rife with misinformation and misinterpretations. I doubt we could do any better with ancient history.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?