Stargate: Universe

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pengo

Re: Stargate: Universe

Post by pengo »

I really like how they are keeping up the continuity of the sunburn on some of the characters. I've read elsewhere that where they filmed desert scenes (for SG1/SGA) no longer exists in canada (used to be a mine but has been developed into something else) and they filmed in mexico? If thats the case I guess that explains why they still gut the sunburn and I guess that means they are shooting the episodes back to back or with a minimal break between them (since their natural sunburn hasn't subsided).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I've still only watched the first one. how are they doing on SFX budget? Still got a lot of nice stuff or is it all inside set type stuff.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
pengo

Post by pengo »

mostly inside with some cgi exterior shots. will keep budget low no doubt. They are prolly taking a leaf out of the Sanctuary book.
qp

Post by qp »

Can't say as I care for this SG at all so far. And so far it's boring, and I don't think I like any of the characters. It's all the wrong style for SG.
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
pengo

Post by pengo »

don't be too critical, tng was shit in its first season.. it got better as it went on, so hopefully sgu will get better?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I look at it this way......what else is on or am I going to do on Fridays at that time? So far it's entertaining enough to keep watching barring something better.
I thought the last episode was the best yet.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Odin

Post by Odin »

Yeah, that's kind of my take as well - it has the potential to be a really good show based on its pedigree (the two prior shows, with which it shares many of the same production staffers) if nothing else. I think the writers just need to settle into their story arc and ramp up the action a little more. This week's episode was pretty decent and they've got a good knack for little moments that grab your attention. This week it was the army dude waking up on the floor several hours after Grier decked him. I thought it was hilarious that everybody else just walked off and left him laying there.

I hope the show manages to grow from "decent" to "great," but even if it doesn't I'll likely stick with it for a while.
disarm

Post by disarm »

my biggest complaint is that they're continuing to set up scenarios that lack suspense because you know the ship will survive and major characters won't die yet. tonight's episode was a perfect example...
Spoiler:
they split a group of major characters off into the shuttle, and Destiny is a key part of the show...both had to survive, so it ruined any tension they were trying to build. while it was a bit of a surprise to see how Destiny made it through the star, the whole scene of trying to land the shuttle was pointless because you knew they would succeed in order for the characters on board to survive. similar scenarios have occurred in past episodes as well...fixing the CO2 scrubbers by finding the right stuff in the desert (can't let them all die), getting everyone back through the gate on time, restoring power to Destiny...
while it's somewhat interesting to see how things work out, they're trying to force tension in scenarios where you already know the outcome. they need to take some chances and shake things up a bit more to really catch my interest. that said, i'll keep watching to for a bit to see if they really hit their stride...
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

disarm wrote:my biggest complaint is that they're continuing to set up scenarios that lack suspense because you know the ship will survive and major characters won't die yet. tonight's episode was a perfect example...

while it's somewhat interesting to see how things work out, they're trying to force tension in scenarios where you already know the outcome. they need to take some chances and shake things up a bit more to really catch my interest. that said, i'll keep watching to for a bit to see if they really hit their stride...
I agree. So far there have not been any surprises. I'm not too upset about that simply because normal SG also tended to telegraph where things were headed as well. The achilles here is that the dialogue / pacing is slow slow. plus they keep creating tension with primary characters and murky motivations... it's like we're surrounded by assholes! Greer is a good example. Supposed hero that wants to kill everything on sight... with the last episode they tried to soften his image by having him smack someone who was a bigger jerk than he...

being spoon fed obvious at a slow pace, will get old fast. (and I own all 10 SG1 seasons so I am a fan of the series) hopefully the linear aspect of things will broaden at some point. linear story driven by jackasses screwin up life for everyone won't convince me to watch season 2. Greatest enemy is yourself... /yawn.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I am bummed. Our DVR thingie let me down. The latest episode was listed in the menu, but there was only blackness. It happens sometimes; I don't know why.

Is there someplace that I can see the most recent episode online?
Wargus

Post by Wargus »

Ironrod wrote:I am bummed. Our DVR thingie let me down. The latest episode was listed in the menu, but there was only blackness. It happens sometimes; I don't know why.

Hulu seems to be the best spot. I tried the SyFy site, however they like to display an ad at the bottom of the movie which screws up the aspect ratio. I also like that with Hulu you can choose one big commercial at the front and none during the episode, so I end up with 3 minutes of extra web-surfing & no interruptions in the show.
Davidbld

Post by Davidbld »

Ironrod wrote:I am bummed. Our DVR thingie let me down. The latest episode was listed in the menu, but there was only blackness. It happens sometimes; I don't know why.

I dont even have cable, always catch it on Hulu.

Dave
No matter where you go...there you are...
qp

Post by qp »

Being stuck in Canada, when our DVR missed it, I had to catch up via Apple TV.
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rowdy wrote: Why not put McKay (since Atlantis just landed) or Carter or anyone else on the Destiny via the stones to give Rush a hand?
...or lend them a freakin' doctor?

The continuity problems don't bother me. The Stargate series are known for a complete lack of continuity. There are whole major species that have been stated as having originated three different ways in two different galaxies.

I'm enjoying it so far, but they need to make up their mind. Either stick with the beer and popcorn SG-1/Atlantis approach, or go BSG gritty. They're trying to do both, and it is starting to feel a little shallow.

They have a chance (just as long as they don't let a replicator anywhere near the show.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Odin

Post by Odin »

I always rather liked the replicators. And the Asguard. And the Replicators being the nemesis of the Asguard. And I liked the Goa'Uld, too. Pretty much the only major group I didn't care for were the Ori.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Hey, we got big boobs. What else we gonna need?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
qp

Post by qp »

dbt1949 wrote:Hey, we got big boobs. What else we gonna need?
Yeah funny story, in one shot with her, I actually though the aspect ratio wasn't set right on the DVR - then in another scene realized my mistake heh.
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wargus wrote:

Hulu seems to be the best spot. I tried the SyFy site, however they like to display an ad at the bottom of the movie which screws up the aspect ratio. I also like that with Hulu you can choose one big commercial at the front and none during the episode, so I end up with 3 minutes of extra web-surfing & no interruptions in the show.
Thanks, I've never used Hulu before. Guess there'll be a first time soon. Do episodes "expire" or will it be there for at least a few days?
Davidbld

Post by Davidbld »

Ironrod wrote:
Wargus wrote:

Thanks, I've never used Hulu before. Guess there'll be a first time soon. Do episodes "expire" or will it be there for at least a few days?
From what I've seen, they usually keep the last five episodes, so you have five weeks untill this Ep gets the boot, Its quick and easy to sign up to.

Dave
No matter where you go...there you are...
Odin

Post by Odin »

Davidbld wrote:
Ironrod wrote:
Wargus wrote:

From what I've seen, they usually keep the last five episodes, so you have five weeks untill this Ep gets the boot, Its quick and easy to sign up to.

Dave
Pretty sure I read somewhere that SG:U was on a 4-week Hulu rotation. Still plenty of time.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Sith Lord wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Yeah, I didn't see Lt. Scott and Chloe coming. It just seemed to come out of nowhere as there was nothing indicating it in the previous episodes, only Eli and Chloe. It felt unecessary. I figure it was a plot device to get Eli and Chloe together once he was gone.
I don't remember the specifics, but I do recall the two of them starting to get close somewhere near the end of last week's episode.
They had a nice chat about parents dying recently.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The actresses to have big boobs?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Odin

Post by Odin »

Blackhawk wrote:
The actresses to have big boobs?
Zing!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
I just consciously noted that they have a constant bass hum in the background to mimic the ship. Don't know why it took me so long to pick up on that. I'm assuming it has been there all along.

The light-bar across the back of the ship really makes me think of the Millenium Falcon.

Hoth system! Nice, guys. I appreciate the geekiness.

Other than that, it was a predictable episode. They aren't going to kill the CO this early, nor the lead romantic interest/second in command.
Odin

Post by Odin »

One of the goals Straczynski had with Babylon 5 was to hide a bunch of stuff in plain sight, making it appear unimportant until the big reveal later on, at which point you'd go, "wow, that was right there the whole time!" Examples include the crystal device Delenn built in her quarters to turn her into a human, or the presence of the Rangers walking around the station before they were ever introduced to the story.

I think the SG:U guys are trying to do something similar, they're just being... I dunno... ham-fisted about it. For instance, at the beginning of the premiere episode, there's somebody walking around the ship turning the lights on and stuff BEFORE the humans started coming through the stargate. Next, there was some sort of pod that was trailing along behind the Destiny at the end of the second or third episode. Then, this week, there was this strange brownish frame around the picture that seemed to imply somebody (in a spacesuit maybe?) was standing on Hoth watching as the humans came through the stargate to look for water/ice.

But unlike Babylon 5 or Lost, there's no elegance to what they're doing. Nothing clever about it. They just show these things without comment and without them seeming to have any sort of impact on the story. At some point we'll get the big reveal and they'll make sense, but it seems like if they were going to do this they should have done a better job of integrating it into the story - blending what we're seeing now into the story in at least some fashion.
Booner

Post by Booner »

Sith Lord wrote:Then, this week, there was this strange brownish frame around the picture that seemed to imply somebody (in a spacesuit maybe?) was standing on Hoth watching as the humans came through the stargate to look for water/ice.
I thought that was a "Keno".

Didn't Col. Young go and grab it after they came through?
Odin

Post by Odin »

Booner wrote:
Sith Lord wrote:Then, this week, there was this strange brownish frame around the picture that seemed to imply somebody (in a spacesuit maybe?) was standing on Hoth watching as the humans came through the stargate to look for water/ice.

Could be. Does the keno usually have that odd border? If so, then that wouldn't serve as an example of what I'm talking about. I think the others are still valid, though.
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

Sith Lord wrote:
Booner wrote:

Could be. Does the keno usually have that odd border? If so, then that wouldn't serve as an example of what I'm talking about. I think the others are still valid, though.

The kenos do have the that fuzzy border effect.
Rawrkan

Post by Rawrkan »

i think its a "kino" not a "keno"
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Sith Lord wrote:. Next, there was some sort of pod that was trailing along behind the Destiny at the end of the second or third episode.
I agree with hamfisted subtlety. That scene caught my attention as well.
Spoiler:
1) it could be a mystery someone.
2) it was the other launch craft that had the busted window and a dead senator in it... and that was his send-off.

the lack of commentary on the take off of the craft was odd.

If 1 I would have expected someone to notice... and ask "wtf just took off"
if 2 I would have expected the daughter to wonder wtf did my dad's corpse go? guy just saved everyone's life and his ejection from the ship gets no attention? talk about "what have you done for me lately".... bah! he's dead, dump the ship and don't even talk about it... could be a case of bad editing... they cut the scene where folks said "see ya"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

About the senator...........
Spoiler:
After the pod took off later in another episode they said that the senator was still there and told his daughter that they're priorities are with the living,not the dead. So I don't think that's what the pod is about.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The "Fire" episode (thanks Hulu!) was way too predictable.
Spoiler:
Ship's out of power, and heading toward a star...which is a huge power source. Ship's been traveling for millions of years, it's replenishing itself somehow. Pretty obvious to me what was going on...and therefore I assume that the doctor suspected it all along, too. Oh, and there was no way they were going to write 17 characters out of the show and lose the shuttle plot device.
And last week's "Water" episode was too cliche, too.
Spoiler:
Two guys on an ice planet that's undergoing tremors, it's obvious one of them is going to fall down a crevasse, and pretty predictable that he's going to get out in the end. Just as his suit loses the last of its air, naturally. LOL
I still find the show entertaining. It isn't near B5 or BSG or even Lost quality, but it's what, 5 episodes old? It could still hit its stride if it lasts. They do have some decent characters in an interesting situation. I just don't find myself looking forward to the next episode like I do with better shows.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Sith Lord wrote:For instance, at the beginning of the premiere episode, there's somebody walking around the ship turning the lights on and stuff BEFORE the humans started coming through the stargate.
Not sure about this one. I went and re-watched the premier intro, and the camera is traveling through the ship as various lights turn on, and there's what sounds like footsteps. However, the view the passes into the gate room, where Captain Wonderdick springs out, and the 'footstep' noise continues...apparently being some mechanical noise heard throughout the ship. So....maybe someone was walking around, or maybe the ship was just detecting an inbound gate signal and powering up. Not really conclusive.

The shuttle thing was pretty ham-handed, though.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Odin

Post by Odin »

This week's episode was pretty interesting, if only because of the scene where the two army guys un-switched bodies right in the middle of sex. Can't think of any other show where anything even remotely similar happened.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Sith Lord wrote:This week's episode was pretty interesting, if only because of the scene where the two army guys un-switched bodies right in the middle of sex. Can't think of any other show where anything even remotely similar happened.
i thought it was more interesting that Telford showed back up at her house at the end. i wonder why he's visiting her now...
Odin

Post by Odin »

I assumed because he's a scumbag and he's going to pretend to be Young so he can put the moves on his wife. Should be interesting to see if I'm right.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Sith Lord wrote:I assumed because he's a scumbag and he's going to pretend to be Young so he can put the moves on his wife. Should be interesting to see if I'm right.
that was exactly my thought...just wasn't going to come right out and say it :wink:
Odin

Post by Odin »

disarm wrote:
Sith Lord wrote:I assumed because he's a scumbag and he's going to pretend to be Young so he can put the moves on his wife. Should be interesting to see if I'm right.
that was exactly my thought...just wasn't going to come right out and say it :wink:
It was pretty strongly implied - especially because he found himself suddenly in bed with his dick in another man's woman and just kept on going. He doesn't seem to have a lot of morals. His willingness to just walk away when it appeared that Destiny was screwed is further emphasis on his being a king douche.

On the other hand, it may be too obvious to be what the writers actually have in mind. I guess we'll find out in a week.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Or else has been all along.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Heh wow. Little Mosque in the Universe? The bald bearded guy in this episode plays a jewish priest in Little Mosque in the Prairie. Took me for a loop for a minute.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0744690/" target="_blank
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti