HBO - upcoming shows

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hrnac

HBO - upcoming shows

Post by Hrnac »

Although I do not currently have HBO, I am excited to see how the upcoming miniseries "Pacific" and the upcoming series "Boardwalk Empire" will fare. Both look fantastic. Anyone else out there following these shows?

-Hrnac
Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
tgb

Re: HBO - upcoming shows

Post by tgb »

"Pacific" looks good, from the trailers I've seen. I'm not familiar with the other.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I don't have HBO, but I'm considering resubscribing for Treme, the new show by the creator of the Wire.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Very interested in Boardwalk Empire, but I have the feeling it's going to be another Carnivale/Rome/Deadwood that is canceled after a couple of seasons. My wife and I are super gun-shy about starting HBO shows given their track record of pulling a Fox and destroying shows before they have a chance.
Toe

Post by Toe »

YellowKing wrote:Very interested in Boardwalk Empire, but I have the feeling it's going to be another Carnivale/Rome/Deadwood that is canceled after a couple of seasons. My wife and I are super gun-shy about starting HBO shows given their track record of pulling a Fox and destroying shows before they have a chance.
I thought Rome and Deadwood ended when they should have. ~shrug~ So I guess I think their track record is pretty stellar given all the good series that have seen full fruition. I definately would not put them in the same company as Fox, sheesh. :) They gave Flight of the Conchords an extermely fair shake I thought, given how lackluster their shows were (I love them btw).

As for upcoming shows, Pacific is set to be Band of Brothers 2 in just about every fashion, so its awesomeness will be supreme. As for others, it will be a wait-and-see, but normally they are always entertaining enough to keep me watching every week.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If I'm a little harsh on them, it's only a testament to how much I enjoy their shows. And the fact I'm still extremely bitter about Carnivale. :D
WPD

Post by WPD »

YellowKing wrote:Very interested in Boardwalk Empire, but I have the feeling it's going to be another Carnivale/Rome/Deadwood that is canceled after a couple of seasons. My wife and I are super gun-shy about starting HBO shows given their track record of pulling a Fox and destroying shows before they have a chance.
How is a couple of seasons not giving the show a chance?
Later ya'll.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lovecraft Country
Get Out writer-director Jordan Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions is teaming with J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot and Warner Bros Television on Lovecraft Country, a one-hour drama that has been given a straight-to-series order by HBO. The pilot will be written by Underground executive producer/showrunner/writer Misha Green. Peele will be exec producer along with Green, Abrams and Ben Stephenson. Green will be showrunner.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:19 pm Lovecraft Country
Get Out writer-director Jordan Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions is teaming with J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot and Warner Bros Television on Lovecraft Country, a one-hour drama that has been given a straight-to-series order by HBO. The pilot will be written by Underground executive producer/showrunner/writer Misha Green. Peele will be exec producer along with Green, Abrams and Ben Stephenson. Green will be showrunner.
The premiere of Lovecraft Country aired today. It was really enjoyable, a good mix of monster kitsch, family drama, and social commentary.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yes Lovecraft Country was great. I was also struck by how beautifully shot it is. Nearly every scene pops with color. Kudos to their set designers, wardrobe dept, etc. Just grab any random scene and look at the detail.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I really enjoyed the first episode of Lovecraft Country but I knew I would. I just reread the book in anticipation of the show.

Some of the gender-swaps with characters bugged me though. I think changing the Caleb Braithwhite character to a women will make for a shift in dynamics, hopefully in an interesting way but I fear the impact that character has on the plot could be diminished. It might not be the same when the character isn't a privileged and rich white man.

Also, why did they change Uncle George and Aunt Hippolyta's kid to a girl?

And changing Atticus and Letitia's nicknames bugged me. "Leti" instead of "Titia" is bad enough but calling Atticus "Tic"? Naw thanks.

OK, I've talked myself around and decided I hated it. Looking forward to watching it again tonight with my wife. 7/8 Cthulhu tentacles.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:00 pm Some of the gender-swaps with characters bugged me though. I think changing the Caleb Braithwhite character to a women will make for a shift in dynamics, hopefully in an interesting way but I fear the impact that character has on the plot could be diminished. It might not be the same when the character isn't a privileged and rich white man.
Do we know for sure that they've gender swapped the Caleb character? I know the woman got out of the car after the crash, but didn't the bartender tell Atticus that it was a man who talked with his father and drove off with him?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:31 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:00 pm Some of the gender-swaps with characters bugged me though. I think changing the Caleb Braithwhite character to a women will make for a shift in dynamics, hopefully in an interesting way but I fear the impact that character has on the plot could be diminished. It might not be the same when the character isn't a privileged and rich white man.
Do we know for sure that they've gender swapped the Caleb character? I know the woman got out of the car after the crash, but didn't the bartender tell Atticus that it was a man who talked with his father and drove off with him?
Hmm...I will have to watch for that tonight. I do believe the bartender also said something about that person driving a Buick or some such domestic car when the car the women got out of looked like a Rolls Royce to me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Never read the source material, but loved the pilot. The music, the atmosphere, the characters, how they turned racism into a source of actual horror in many ways, it was all very compelling...and, more importantly, just fun to watch. I’m in for the whole thing at this point.
He won. Period.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

After a rewatch, and confirmation that your above points are correct I have a new theory:
Spoiler:
It seems as though the Ruby character is quite a bit different so far. Maybe they are eliminating the shape-shifting plot as it relates to her and giving that ability to Caleb? Just a theory...
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:44 am
After a rewatch, and confirmation that your above points are correct I have a new theory:
Spoiler:
It seems as though the Ruby character is quite a bit different so far. Maybe they are eliminating the shape-shifting plot as it relates to her and giving that ability to Caleb? Just a theory...
Spoiler:
I'd think the shape-shifting is too important to the social/racial commentary aspect of the show, and since they seem to be leaning into that hard, I doubt they'd ditch it. I was wondering if they were going to shift that aspect of it to Letitia, since she's the one who wanted to get a job at a downtown department store. Ultimately, though, I think they'll keep it with Ruby. Even though she's obviously much more confident in the show than in the book, she's still living in a dump. They might even have Caleb seduce her after a gig.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

So . . . definitely a gender swap. Interesting. I'll give it some time to see if it makes sense.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I haven't watched it yet but I did see last week on IMDB there was no cast listing for Caleb.

We'll see how it goes...
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Anyone seen the new Perry Mason on HBO? It's actually shockingly good. Matthew Rhys has a face that always looks haunted.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Perry Mason was really good. And it's been renewed for a second season.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:24 am Perry Mason was really good. And it's been renewed for a second season.
It was a bit of a shock with the nudity and vulgarity considering I grew up watching the tv series with my dad.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:21 am
Z-Corn wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:24 am Perry Mason was really good. And it's been renewed for a second season.
It was a bit of a shock with the nudity and vulgarity considering I grew up watching the tv series with my dad.
Welp, I'm in.
He won. Period.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:47 am
Welp, I'm in.
What if nadnek's Dad doesn't want your nudity and vulgarity?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That has never once been an impediment for me.

In other news, Lovecraft Country better win ALL the damn Emmys this year.

Also, I need to find more...a lot more...of Gil Scott-Heron after hearing the absolutely genius Whitey on the Moon.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:02 pm Also, I need to find more...a lot more...of Gil Scott-Heron after hearing the absolutely genius Whitey on the Moon.
You're in luck
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Who hoo! :wub:
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Changing from the basic streaming plan last week seems to have cost me HBO. Or I should say, now it will cost me to get HBO.
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:02 pm Also, I need to find more...a lot more...of Gil Scott-Heron after hearing the absolutely genius Whitey on the Moon.
How did you feel about the James Baldwin monologue from the first episode?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Powerful, but I had encountered it before. Gil Scott-Herron I have not.
He won. Period.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Eel Snave wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:21 am Anyone seen the new Perry Mason on HBO? It's actually shockingly good. Matthew Rhys has a face that always looks haunted.
I felt it took awhile to get going but once Perry was a lawyer the show really hit it's stride. Looking forward to Season 2.

(I considered spoilering that but if you don't know that Perry Mason winds up with a law degree...) :|
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This certainly looks like interesting sci-fi by Ridley Scott:

https://www.hbomax.com/coming-soon/rais ... lsrc=aw.ds

All that said, I'm pissed because Roku and HBO haven't come to a deal yet. That makes it pretty hard for me to watch HBO right now :(
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:02 pm That has never once been an impediment for me.

In other news, Lovecraft Country better win ALL the damn Emmys this year.
From reading some early reviews, it sounds like there are a few dips in quality along the way. So far it's great, though.
Eel Snave wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:21 am Anyone seen the new Perry Mason on HBO? It's actually shockingly good. Matthew Rhys has a face that always looks haunted.
It was discussed a bit in one of the myriad other "Whatcha watchin'" type threads. My wife and I liked it a lot.
It took my wife a couple of episodes to get into it because of this, but she ended up liking it. I never watched as a kid, so I went in cold.
Exodor wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:06 pm
I felt it took awhile to get going but once Perry was a lawyer the show really hit it's stride. Looking forward to Season 2.

(I considered spoilering that but if you don't know that Perry Mason winds up with a law degree...) :|
[pedantry]
Spoiler:
He doesn't get a law degree. He faked an apprenticeship (apparently this was a legit way to learn the legal profession back in the day) and then cheated the bar exam.
[/pedantry]
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Grifman wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:14 pm This certainly looks like interesting sci-fi by Ridley Scott:

https://www.hbomax.com/coming-soon/rais ... lsrc=aw.ds

All that said, I'm pissed because Roku and HBO haven't come to a deal yet. That makes it pretty hard for me to watch HBO right now :(
Do you have a PS4? You can apparently stream through that if you do.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:23 pm [pedantry]
Spoiler:
He doesn't get a law degree. He faked an apprenticeship (apparently this was a legit way to learn the legal profession back in the day) and then cheated the bar exam.
[/pedantry]
Indeed, which made him a whole lot more shrewd and competent than most lawyers and legal students. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:19 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:23 pm [pedantry]
Spoiler:
[/pedantry]
Indeed, which made him a whole lot more shrewd and competent than most lawyers and legal students. ;)
I'm a bit jealous, I'm not gonna lie.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I really liked the first episode of Lovecraft Country but thought the second episode wasn't nearly as good. IMO, it was way too rushed with too many revelations and unearned payoffs. Also,
Spoiler:
that snake!
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Grifman wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:14 pm All that said, I'm pissed because Roku and HBO haven't come to a deal yet. That makes it pretty hard for me to watch HBO right now :(
My Roku app updated from HBO Now to HBO. Still let's me stream - just not HBO Max. Frustrating but perhaps yours would work that way as well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm in the middle of Perry Mason and it is incredibly solid. Rhys is just amazing. This is a completely different role than the Americans which is my only basis of comparison of his work. There is a tiny bit of Phillip Jennings still in there -- maybe it is that haunted look mentioned before -- but he seems to have sunk into this role and it feels like he unrestrained. It's really neat to watch.

We also watched the first episode of Lovecraft Country. I came into the story cold. My comment at the time was HBO really had their finger on the pulse of society. Maybe it is the influence of 'Get Out' but between this and Watchmen HBO really has done something here at the right moment.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

If anyone is going to watch with children, the gore is as bad as the nudity and vulgarity.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn’t realize Perry Mason was set in the 30s...and that it’s basically a hard boiled detective show to boot. Love it. I’m hooked on this too now.
He won. Period.