Congrats to the [spoilers asifanyonethatcaresdoesn'tknow]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

noxiousdog

Congrats to the [spoilers asifanyonethatcaresdoesn'tknow]

Post by noxiousdog »

Cards.

I'm a firm believer in the crapshoot theory of the playoffs, so it's good to see the better team win. The Cards could have easily won 110 games had they cared in September.

Now go roll the Sox in 4.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Wha?
I'm special!
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

I'm home.

I'm hoarse. My eyes sting from a combination of friends spraying me with The King Of Beers and from, frankly, bawling like a chick.

We finally got back to the Series. I don't care that we're going to lose to Boston. We got there. We shouldn't have.

I'm the only person on the Eastern Seaboard rooting for the Cardinals in the WS. That's cool. I can deal. I get it about the Red Sox. They're my second-favorite team, and I hate the fact that the team I'll live and die with my whole life will play them. (I own two replica jerseys. One is a Stan Musial 1944. The other is a Freddy Lynn 1975.)

Once the Cards took the lead, I was invoking every Cardinal ghost I could think of. When Kiko Calero was out there, I was praying that Jeff Lahti and Doug Bair were there with him.

When crazy, nutso Julian Tavarez was pitching the 8th, I was invoking the spirit of One Tough Dominican. Joaquin Andujar pitching on a broken leg in 1982, we need you to carry our boy.

When Izzy came out to close out the ninth, I pleaded with the Baseball Gods to send Buddy Schulz, The Engine 42, and even Pete Alexander to coax those final outs.

God I love my team right now. Damn it's fun to wear the Birds On The Bat.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Congrats, Trig!

Should be a fun World Series.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Schroeder

Post by Schroeder »

triggercut wrote:I'm home.

I'm hoarse. My eyes sting from a combination of friends spraying me with The King Of Beers and from, frankly, bawling like a chick.

We finally got back to the Series. I don't care that we're going to lose to Boston. We got there. We shouldn't have.

I'm the only person on the Eastern Seaboard rooting for the Cardinals in the WS. That's cool. I can deal. I get it about the Red Sox. They're my second-favorite team, and I hate the fact that the team I'll live and die with my whole life will play them. (I own two replica jerseys. One is a Stan Musial 1944. The other is a Freddy Lynn 1975.)

Once the Cards took the lead, I was invoking every Cardinal ghost I could think of. When Kiko Calero was out there, I was praying that Jeff Lahti and Doug Bair were there with him.

When crazy, nutso Julian Tavarez was pitching the 8th, I was invoking the spirit of One Tough Dominican. Joaquin Andujar pitching on a broken leg in 1982, we need you to carry our boy.

When Izzy came out to close out the ninth, I pleaded with the Baseball Gods to send Buddy Schulz, The Engine 42, and even Pete Alexander to coax those final outs.

God I love my team right now. Damn it's fun to wear the Birds On The Bat.

Well said, Trig!

As a born and bred St. Louis boy myself, I'll tip a beer (S. Louis made, of course) in your honor during game #1 of the WS this weekend. The only thing I take small exception too in your comments is that the Redbirds will lose to the Sox. They very well may...but I don't think that's a given just yet.

Besides, the 'Red Sox Curse' could still raise it's ugly head during the WS...

:twisted: :lol: 8)
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Oh, and screw Fox for not letting Joe Buck do this series. He's the only good announcer they have.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Schroeder

Post by Schroeder »

[quote="triggercut"]Image

Go Crazy Folks! Go Crazy!

:D

I can still remember that game like it was last week! Good stuff!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Are they going to let Buck do the Series? He's always been pretty neutral when I've seen him do Cards games on national TV. I won't be able to stand Brennaman and Lyons much longer. At least Buck helps to make up for McCarver.
Schroeder

Post by Schroeder »

ImLawBoy wrote:Are they going to let Buck do the Series? He's always been pretty neutral when I've seen him do Cards games on national TV. I won't be able to stand Brennaman and Lyons much longer. At least Buck helps to make up for McCarver.

I'm pretty sure they said tonight that Buck WOULD be doing the WS...
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Put me in the NL camp this year (write that down, it doesn't often happen). I, too, *get* the Sox, and this is the dream WS final that could have happened of the eight teams that made the post-season. Should make for some entertaining baseball, but can it beat the Divisional Finals? That's the beauty of sports -- nobody knows until it happens...

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I actually watched the game last night. Do I get a cookie?
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Congratulations to the Cardinals. I wasn't too sad when my team lost, because I know the Cardinals are a great team.

I don't think the Sox will have near enough pitching to beat the Cardinals in a series.

I pick the Cardinals in 6.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Though this pains me, congrats to the Cards. They were the best team in the NL this year so they deserve to be there. Also congrats to the Astros, they put up a hell of fight when no one really expected them to be there in the first place.

Plus, it was nice to see the future CF of the Cubs smack 8 post-season HR's ;).

PS...Go Red Sox!
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

godhugh wrote: Plus, it was nice to see the future CF of the Cubs smack 8 post-season HR's ;).
If the Cubs manage to fight off the Yankees, I'll be amazed. On the other hand, Jim Hendry has done some great things.

Congrats to the Cardinals. I'm glad there's an NL Central team representing the National League. Now go show the Red Sox their curse isn't over yet!
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Well, I have hope because the Yankees already have $180 million in contracts they're obligated too next season. It's going to take a huge amount of money to sign Beltran and I'm not sure that the Yankees could even afford him (first time that's ever been said I think). Plus, if they sign him they won't have any money left over for a 2B, new SP's, a new bullpen, and a living 1B.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I'm excited for this matchup of two classic franchises, even though it hurts a little since for some strange reason Phil Garner was my favorite player growing up.

I like both teams, but I guess I will have to root for the Red Sox since my favorite all-time player (Foxx) had a nice stint with them.
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

godhugh wrote:Well, I have hope because the Yankees already have $180 million in contracts they're obligated too next season. It's going to take a huge amount of money to sign Beltran and I'm not sure that the Yankees could even afford him (first time that's ever been said I think). Plus, if they sign him they won't have any money left over for a 2B, new SP's, a new bullpen, and a living 1B.
One of my co-workers just came back from a trip to New York. Brian Cashman is already talking about a $215 million payroll.
Schroeder

Post by Schroeder »

Grievous Angel wrote: One of my co-workers just came back from a trip to New York. Brian Cashman is already talking about a $215 million payroll.
:shock:
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Holy crap, that's insane!
Rubyeye

Post by Rubyeye »

That was a great series and a killer 7th game. I hope the World Series will be just as exciting. It was nice to see the mutual respect between the Cards and Astros last night, both outstanding teams. I tell you, I can't wait for Saturday night to roll around.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

godhugh wrote: Plus, it was nice to see the future CF of the Cubs smack 8 post-season HR's ;).
I think he'll be a little old when the Yankees are done with him. Expect the Cubs to have another runner-up off-season, a la Piazza, Thome, etc. It sickens me, but he'll be a Yankee.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Congrats to the Cardinals.

Even though they screwed up my dream "Battle of the Former KC Royal Centerfielders" world series between Damon and Beltran.

:evil:

When you're a Royals fan these days, you have to cling to every scrap of glory you can find
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

Woo-hoo! The Redbirds are in the WS!

Tazman

Post by Tazman »

Jancelot wrote:Woo-hoo! The Redbirds are in the WS!

That was a great catch. If he doesn't make it, the Astros probably win. Oh well, maybe next year for the Astos (we will get to see if Drayton -the owner of the Astros-is really committed to winning - that is one of his pet phrases - by figuring out some way to resign Beltran, while making Berkman and Oswalt happy).