Cell Phone News

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Alefroth

Re: Cell Phone News

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote:Motorola Mobility sold by Google to Lenovo:
And I just got a Moto X last week. I was really hoping tight integration with Google would produce some good results as far as upgrades and improvements go.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Alefroth wrote:
And I just got a Moto X last week. I was really hoping tight integration with Google would produce some good results as far as upgrades and improvements go.
I just got one and it's my first smart phone. I love the hell out of this device already. Pretty sure we are good for updates, etc.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Enough wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
I just got one and it's my first smart phone. I love the hell out of this device already. Pretty sure we are good for updates, etc.
I'm really liking mine too. I moved from a Galaxy Nexus I had for two years.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Motorola needed some innovation and deep pockets to make their products relevant again. Google could have done that for Motorola, if they wanted. Instead, only the patents were worth the investment and attention. That's quite sad.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Enough wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
I would have though you'd have gone a Nokia Lumina, which if nothing else gets superb marks for its camera.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Alefroth wrote:
Enough wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
Glad to hear it. I'm about to replace the ol' Droid Razr, and I'm strongly leaning toward the Moto X.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

AWS260 wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
Enough wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
Glad to hear it. I'm about to replace the ol' Droid Razr, and I'm strongly leaning toward the Moto X.
Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll see if I can answer them.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff V wrote:
I would have though you'd have gone a Nokia Lumina, which if nothing else gets superb marks for its camera.
I've got a Lumia 1520, and the camera is spectacular. I wish it had the unbelievable camera of the 1020, but I need that 6" screen. Oh well, one can't have everything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Firefox Phone
Mozilla have unveiled a prototype version of a $25 (£15) smartphone which they believe will appeal to the developing market.

Mozilla, renowned for developing popular internet browser Firefox, revealed at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona that they have partnered with Chinese low-cost chip manufacturer Spreadtrum to develop their new product - the Firefox OS phone.

Keeping in line with the company's core values, the handset (which will be made available as the Firefox OS Flame to developers worldwide) will be available to those who reside in developing countries as a cheaper alternative to more expensive smartphones.

Slightly more advanced than the ordinary 'dumb' phone used only to make calls and text messages, this feature model will "bring people online" and "redefine" the phone markets, according to Mozilla's chief operating officer Jay Sullivan.
No word on if they're going to be releasing new versions every two months.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:No word on if they're going to be releasing new versions every two months.
As long as Adblock stops telemarketing calls.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

FTC: T-Mobile guilty of profiteering from crammers
The Federal Trade Commission accused wireless carrier T-Mobile of adding bogus charges totaling "hundreds of millions of dollars" on customers' accounts without their consent.

At least as far back as 2009 until at least December 2013, the carrier placed unauthorized charges on customers' mobile phone bills for premium subscriptions, the agency alleges in a suit filed today in U.S. District Court.

The agency says T-Mobile participated in "cramming," a practice where the carrier places charges for services from a third-party company on consumers' bill without telling them. The FTC says T-Mobile also made it difficult for its customers to detect the charges.

The charges were typically for third-party content such as flirting tips, horoscope information or celebrity gossip and amounted to $9.99 per month. Usually, when customers see a third-party service in an advertisement, they must opt-in twice before charges can be added to their mobile phone bill.

However, in many cases deceptive advertisements hid the fact that the consumer was agreeing to the charges, said FTC attorney Brian Shull. And, in other cases, the third-party merchants were "just buying phone numbers from random places and billing these consumers without any notice whatsoever," he said.

T-Mobile, typically, gets 30% to 40% of the third-party fees and forwards the rest to the merchant. "We allege that T-Mobile knew about these fraudulent charges and failed to stop them or take any action, therefore they continued," said Jessica Rich, the FTC's director of consumer protection.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:FTC: T-Mobile guilty of profiteering from crammers
Are we ignoring due process? According to that article, T-Mobile is being accused. They haven't (yet) been found guilty of anything.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Poor word choice on my part, then. Regardless, the statement is technically correct. The FTC is stating that they are guilty. Whether the US District Court agrees will determine whether or not they face fines and sanctions.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

FTC sues AT&T over unlimited wireless data plans
For millions of AT&T Inc. wireless customers, unlimited data plans come with a catch, federal regulators said: slower Internet speeds for browsing, video streaming and other Web page loading after reaching a ceiling.

In its first lawsuit addressing so-called data-throttling, the Federal Trade Commission accused the telecommunications giant of misleading smartphone customers by slowing the speed of their data usage without properly notifying them.

"If you make a promise about unlimited consumer service, we expect you to fulfill those promises," said Edith Ramirez, the agency's chairwoman.

Instead, she said, AT&T charged mobile customers "for so-called unlimited data plans that were, in reality, not unlimited at all."
The suit, filed Tuesday, alleges that AT&T deceived its wireless customers and seeks millions of dollars in refunds for a practice that still continues. Unhappy customers who canceled their plans were charged early-termination fees that typically were hundreds of dollars, Ramirez said.

Beginning in October 2011, AT&T began restricting the data speeds of unlimited data plan customers who exceeded a monthly usage threshold that initially was as low as 2 gigabytes, the agency said.
Customers who exceeded the level had their data speeds slowed 60% to 95% for the rest of the billing period.

When the data-throttling began, about 14 million AT&T customers had an unlimited data plan, which cost $30 a month, the agency said. Its investigation found that since then, at least 3.5 million of those customers experienced data usage slowdowns a total of more than 25 million times.
Ramirez said the agency's investigation found that the way AT&T implemented the data slowdowns "had nothing to do with any type of network congestion.
:pop:
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

RE: T-Mobile cramming
Over the past two quarters, T-Mobile has accrued more than $50 million to cover the estimated cost of a refund program and settlement payments, both related to unauthorized premium SMS charges.

According to an SEC filing, in the second quarter T-Mobile accrued a $24 million reduction to service revenues to cover the estimated cost of a refund program. For the third quarter the carrier accrued an additional $29 million to cover anticipated settlement payments regarding an ongoing FTC lawsuit over cramming.
But the carrier ultimately decided to negotiate a settlement with the FTC not long after AT&T agreed to a settlement over a similar case. AT&T will refund to customers $80 million as part of a $105 million settlement.

The FTC’s complaint did not specify a restitution amount it was seeking in the T-Mobile cramming complaint but today’s SEC filing from the carrier seems to indicate T-Mobile can ballpark the amount.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Motorola acquisition complete
Lenovo today completed its acquisition of Motorola, adding roughly 3,500 employees to its headcount including 2,800 in the U.S.
The company is hoping to copy its success in PCs with the strength of its existing Lenovo-branded smartphones along with the “new blood” from Motorola.

In fact, Lenovo thinks Motorola will help the company take a comfortable third-place spot in the global smartphone market behind first place Samsung and second place Apple.
The $2.91 billion price tag consisted of $660 million in cash, over 519 million shares in Lenovo stock (roughly $750 million), and a $1.5 billion promissory note. Lenovo hopes to make Motorola profitable within four to six quarters.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wow. And IBM servers aren't too far behind are they? Trying to become Foxconn or something?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AT&T cancels in-flight WiFi plan:
AT&T has abandoned plans for an air-to-ground 4G network that it announced in April. At the time, AT&T promised the network would "transform airborne connectivity," and said it would launch in late 2015.

"After a thorough review of our investment portfolio, the company decided to no longer pursue entry into the in-flight connectivity industry," said Emily Edmonds, an AT&T spokeswoman.

Instead, AT&T said it it focusing its spending on big acquisitions, including DirecTV and Mexican carrier Iusacell, which it agreed to purchase for $2.5 billion on Friday.
The FCC has advocated for a better in-flight Internet experience by freeing up wireless spectrum for plane Wi-Fi. But that process has stalled due to various regulatory processes.

AT&T had been partnering with Honeywell's (HON) aerospace division to build the network.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Data rollover, er, Stash from T-Mobile:
Starting in January 2015, the U.S. wireless carrier will introduce a new policy called Data Stash, which will roll over any unused data from the previous month instead expiring, as it does on all other major carriers. That means if you paid for 3GB of data and only used 1.8GB, the remaining 1.2GB would be added to your Data Stash.

The rollover data doesn't last forever, though; it expires after a year and only applies to 4G LTE data, so customers with older 3G phones are out of luck. But if you have an LTE device, Data Stash is available to all T-Mobile customers — both individuals and businesses — as long as you're buying at least 3GB of 4G LTE data every month.

T-Mobile says it will give every customer that qualifies for Data Stash an extra 10GB of data to kick off the program in January.

"Think of it as data rollover. If you buy data, it's yours," T-Mobile CEO John Legere said during a webcast to announce the new plan.
If they try using the word "rollover" in official communications, I imagine that AT&T is going to have something to say about it.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote:Data rollover, er, Stash from T-Mobile:
Starting in January 2015, the U.S. wireless carrier will introduce a new policy called Data Stash, which will roll over any unused data from the previous month instead expiring, as it does on all other major carriers. That means if you paid for 3GB of data and only used 1.8GB, the remaining 1.2GB would be added to your Data Stash.

The rollover data doesn't last forever, though; it expires after a year and only applies to 4G LTE data, so customers with older 3G phones are out of luck. But if you have an LTE device, Data Stash is available to all T-Mobile customers — both individuals and businesses — as long as you're buying at least 3GB of 4G LTE data every month.

T-Mobile says it will give every customer that qualifies for Data Stash an extra 10GB of data to kick off the program in January.

"Think of it as data rollover. If you buy data, it's yours," T-Mobile CEO John Legere said during a webcast to announce the new plan.
If they try using the word "rollover" in official communications, I imagine that AT&T is going to have something to say about it.
Hey, looks like we switched to T-Mobile just in time :clap:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It's about time that data rollover/stash idea hit.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Eh, my wife has the 3 GB plan and always exceeds her limit. I never exceed my 1 GB plan, but that one doesn't roll over. :x
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AT&T brings data rollover to the fight.
And now AT&T has announced that it will offer rollover data to its own Mobile Share Value customers, the newcomers as well as the existing ones.
But the deal, which goes into effect January 25, has its limits. According to AT&T, "unused data expires after one billing period or with any plan change." In other words, if the unused data is still not used during the rollover month, it goes away with the next billing period.
AT&T owns the rights to use the term "rollover."
The voice minutes rollover is good for 12 months. I'm sitting on almost 6k rollover minutes from a year's worth of my 700 Family plan.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Verizon on data stash/rollover - don't hold your breath
Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo, ... said the nation's largest wireless carrier by subscribers would not follow its rivals and allow consumers to move unused data into future billing cycles.

"We're a leader, not a follower," he said in an interview on Thursday.
Shammo said Verizon is willing to let some customers go and not compete on price.

"We did not go to places where we did not financially want to go to save a customer," Shammo said. "And there's going to be certain customers who leave us for price, and we are just not going to compete with that because it doesn't make financial sense for us to do that."
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I so wish my wife was willing to move off Verizon. She just refuses.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tracfone settles deceptive ad suit
TracFone, owned by America Movil SAB, has agreed to pay $40 million to reimburse customers who purchased prepaid unlimited data plans that turned out to have maximum limits, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission said on Wednesday.

The FTC alleged that TracFone advertised unlimited data plans for $45 a month but either cut off or slowed, or "throttled", the data once a fixed limit was hit. The agency said millions of customers had been affected by the practice.

While policies varied, TracFone users who hit one to three gigabytes of data use generally experienced a slowdown, while those who reached four to five gigabytes could be cut off, the FTC said.
The FTC said that TracFone began advertising the unlimited plans in 2009 but did not disclose any limits until September 2013.

"In many cases, the disclosures were in very small print or on the back of packages or cards where consumers were likely to miss them," the FTC said.

The terms of the settlement require TracFone to refund customers some $40 million and to clearly disclose limits on its data plans.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It is unlimited... unless you use too much.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So I guess it was literally unlimited...?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Figuratively speaking, sure.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My sister got a job at AT&T and hooked me up with her plan. She gets a 50% discount on the plans! 60 bucks for two phones. :) The service is A LOT better than tmobile. I haven't hit a dead area yet and it's network seems much faster. The announcement of data rollover is just icing on the cake.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote:My sister got a job at AT&T and hooked me up with her plan. She gets a 50% discount on the plans! 60 bucks for two phones. :) The service is A LOT better than tmobile. I haven't hit a dead area yet and it's network seems much faster. The announcement of data rollover is just icing on the cake.
It's so great that she's hooking up you and all of your favorite internet forum buddies.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya sure I'll let you know how that works out. ;) My father just switched to T-Mobile when she changed jobs so he can't switch over. Bummer for him. She does love to switch jobs so god knows how long this will last. Hopefully it's a couple of years.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We actually only recently went to the 50% discount (I think it was 20% before that) for employees. Nice to have it, though.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When we were Cingular, we could get a line with 1k minutes and one with 500 minutes. If you wanted anything extra like 5k night and weekend minutes, it was $10/line. I think it came with something like 200 text messages and 200 MMS as well.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Unlimited minutes and texts was a godsend for me. My wife can crush records with the volume of texting and talking she does. 1,500 minutes and 1,500 texts a month isn't unheard of. I'm not even sure how she manages that. :lol: That's 50 minutes of talk and 50 texts a day. :shock:

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote:That's 50 minutes of talk and 50 texts a day. :shock:
The fact that those numbers shock you is shocking to me. I am closer to 50 minutes and 50 texts a month, but I know people that would make your wife's numbers seem ridiculously small.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I guess but when you consider how busy she is it seems impossible.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There was at least one call I fielded where someone's daughter exceeded the 5K Nights and weekend minutes on her line. That's an average of 2h46m per day over the entire month.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Octavious wrote:I guess but when you consider how busy she is it seems impossible.
Maybe she's so busy because she wastes too much time texting and talking!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote:We actually only recently went to the 50% discount (I think it was 20% before that) for employees. Nice to have it, though.
It is also great that you are hooking up all of your internet forum buddies.

Go Cubs!
Black Lives Matter.