Gulf Coast rig leaking buttloads of oil/day

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Enough

Re: Gulf Coast rig leaking buttloads of oil/day

Post by Enough »

Drew Wheelan from the above BP corporate police state story is the bird conservation coordinator for the American Birding Association (THE go to birding NGO, doesn't get much more mainstream than this). He has a blog documenting the spill here.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

Looks like they got the top hat back on. You may now resume your regularly scheduled panicking.
Sandpuppy

Post by Sandpuppy »

Let's just hope the relief well drilling goes smoother than that.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enough wrote:
because Wheelan was acting suspicious and could have been a terrorist.
Well, you can't blame them. He might have been there to poison the water or something.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Off duty officers acting in official capacity, wearing uniforms, while being hired by private companies, essentially to work overtime paid by a corporation to a municipality funneled to the officer is something I have no problem with. I do have a problem with them acting on behalf on the corporation rather than municipality though. You'd think the locals would have a problem with that sort of thing too. But I'm guessing these are company municipalities who think a police state and protecting the corporation is a good thing.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

LordMortis wrote:Off duty officers acting in official capacity, wearing uniforms, while being hired by private companies, essentially to work overtime paid by a corporation to a municipality funneled to the officer is something I have no problem with. I do have a problem with them acting on behalf on the corporation rather than municipality though. You'd think the locals would have a problem with that sort of thing too. But I'm guessing these are company municipalities who think a police state and protecting the corporation is a good thing.
I know it was common practice in Lafayette for the bars and clubs to have off duty police officers for security, normally wearing their uniforms. This has recently changed due to an ordnance and tax the owners suggested to the city/parish council, but had been done for years before that. So it is likely what is going on there.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

BP refusing skimmers to save money?
“By sinking and dispersing the oil, BP can amortize the cost of the cleanup over the next 15 years or so, as tar balls continue to roll up on the beaches, rather than dealing with the issue now by removing the oil from the water with the proper equipment,” McCallister testified earlier this week before the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce...

...A report released Thursday by the U.S. House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform included a photo depicting “a massive swath of oil” in the Gulf with no skimming equipment in sight. The report concluded: “The lack of equipment at the scene of the spill is shocking, and appears to reflect what some describe as a strategy of cleaning up oil once it comes ashore versus containing the spill and cleaning it up in the ocean.”
Though I'm at least somewhat skeptical, as McCallister has a financial interest in this...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sorry if this is a duplicate. I know I posted it once before, but I think it was a different thread.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

OK, this (too) is fucked up:
In a March report that was not questioned by federal officials, BP said it had the capacity to skim and remove 491,721 barrels of oil each day in the event of a major spill.

As of Monday, with about 2 million barrels released into the gulf, the skimming operations that were touted as key to preventing environmental disaster have averaged less than 900 barrels a day.

Skimming has captured only 67,143 barrels
over the course of almost 3 months.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Well, they could totally skim that much if the oil spill happened in, say, a dry lake bed in the central united states!
I'm special!
Enough

Post by Enough »

Pyperkub wrote:OK, this (too) is fucked up:
In a March report that was not questioned by federal officials, BP said it had the capacity to skim and remove 491,721 barrels of oil each day in the event of a major spill.

As of Monday, with about 2 million barrels released into the gulf, the skimming operations that were touted as key to preventing environmental disaster have averaged less than 900 barrels a day.

Skimming has captured only 67,143 barrels
over the course of almost 3 months.
Sorry that plan was only operative when BP was still planning on actually deploying sufficient skimmers before they discovered the cost saving joys of amortization (per your post earlier).

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

What the....?! Oil leak you say? Ahhhh right. NOW I remember. I got distracted by those recent Lohan articles in the "news" and forgot about the oil leak temporarily.
Sandpuppy

Post by Sandpuppy »

Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

On my ride into New Orleans this evening I heard on the radio that they have started finding tar balls in Lake Pontchartrain. They apparently have a plan to use some barges to block the entrance to the lake and move them out of the way when ships need to pass in order to help keep the oil out.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Crisis over?
No oil is leaking from BP Plc's blown-out Macondo well into the Gulf of Mexico for the first time since late April, a company executive said on Thursday.
Emphasis added
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I wouldn't say it's over. I'd say the oil flow has stopped, if what they say is correct. The crisis is ongoing. There is still oil out there, along with dispersants and who knows what else. I imagine it will be there for some time to come.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

We can hope. The one line blurb being reported is interesting in itself.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Smoove_B wrote:Crisis over?
No oil is leaking from BP Plc's blown-out Macondo well into the Gulf of Mexico for the first time since late April, a company executive said on Thursday.
Emphasis added
Well it did explode and sink in mid April. By no means do I think this is over yet. They still have to get the bottom kill executed and not have the containment dome fail. Plus there is always the aftermath of such an event. I'm pretty sure BP is going to fire a lot of people over this and its handling. I hope the government fires a lot of people who hadn't been doing their job in inspecting/enforcing the rules here. I really hope they pull this new moratorium soon too, it is already starting to cost jobs in Louisiana.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Smoove_B wrote:Crisis over?
Emphasis added
Definitely not, but I hope the test succeeds. They are really pushing the PSI, and doing so at a time when the first relief well is within 30 some feet yet they have stopped drilling it for now. Here's more context, warning it's on KOS but FishGrease has emerged as one of the smarter commentators on the BP debacle.

Fellstrike

Post by Fellstrike »

If by "crisis" you mean the apocalypse, then no.
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" -George Carlin

Currently playing:
Steam - Fellstrike
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Fellstrike wrote:If by "crisis" you mean the apocalypse, then no.
Well you can't win them all. :roll:

Since i have no idea how reputable helium is i started looking for this article elsewhere and couldn't find anything that seemed legit. I found it on a conspiracy site and some blogs but that was about it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Via Tree Hugger, Bill Nye explains how this latest fix can go horribly wrong.

:(
Enough

Post by Enough »

Smoove_B wrote:Via Tree Hugger, Bill Nye explains how this latest fix can go horribly wrong.

:(
There's just something about how Bill Nye explains things that rocks. He goes over many of the same issues as FishGrease in my earlier response to you, have to love the prop. Still holding out hope this doesn't make things worse.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I didn't think it was anything new but Bill Nye is awesome so I figured I'd post it. And so the wait begins...
Odin

Post by Odin »

Fellstrike wrote:If by "crisis" you mean the apocalypse, then no.
If that doesn't end up as a sci-fi channel movie, I'll be shocked.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Lt. Gov. was on the radio this morning. He said Ocean Energy Group (I don't remember the whole name, but it is the Fed. agency that approves offshore wells) has refused to authorize any of the shallow water wells since the Deep Horizon accident. He said there was a brief period where the oil companies re-evaluated their plans to meet with new requirements and regulations and then submitted the revised plans to them. Normally the turn around on these for shallow water wells is quick, but none have been approved for anyone. The Lt. Gov. thinks it is because none of them wants to be the first person to approve a well in case something happens.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Hmmm.... giving me a 404 error. Let's throw another log or two onto the conspiracy fire.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

For those who are interested the rally against the moratorium will be broadcast on the internet. Here is the link, broadcast starts soon but rally starts in about hour and a half to 2 hours.

On the schedule that i saw it includes the Governor, Lt. Governor, Sammy Kershaw (musician that has gone into politics recently), and a few others.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Crabbs wrote:
Hmmm.... giving me a 404 error. Let's throw another log or two onto the conspiracy fire.
It was there yesterday. The people and the research appear to be real.
http://tamunews.tamu.edu/2010/05/26/pro ... nsf-grant/" target="_blank
http://tamunews.tamu.edu/2010/06/15/res ... attention/" target="_blank
http://tamunews.tamu.edu/2010/06/28/kes ... -research/" target="_blank

Google cache
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... us&strip=1" target="_blank
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us" target="_blank
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I am assuming MSD heard about this page through the Drudge Report, where it apparently featured the other day. The research doesn't seem quite as scary as they make it sound.
1. Of the spilling material, 40% by weight is natural gas.

2. The main chemical component of this natural gas is methane.

3. Methane is a very potent greenhouse gas and the seafloor worldwide stores massive amounts of methane.

4. This spill is too small to influence the methane content in the atmosphere and thus will not influence modern climate.

5. Massive eruptions of natural gas from the seafloor have occurred in the geological past and this spill simulates one of those eruptions. Thus we can study this spill to understand if these previous (natural) massive eruptions in the past influenced climate and how they might behave in the future.

6. Microorganisms in the water eat natural gas and methane. This process consumes oxygen dissolved in the water. We will measure how much oxygen is being removed by natural gas and methane in the waters of the Gulf.
(Edit: cache link for quoted material http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a" target="_blank)
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hayward expected to step down.
On Monday, BP's board is expected to announce that Hayward, 53, will step down on Oct. 1. The departure, say people close to the company, will be his decision as much as the board's. Hayward, a geologist who has spent his entire career working for BP, is said to recognize that he has become a liability as the company tries to move forward.

The board will probably turn to Robert Dudley, who grew up in Mississippi and who joined BP from Amoco after the two firms merged. Dudley would be the first American to run the company once known as British Petroleum.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He gets sent to Siberia:
BBC wrote:BP chief executive Tony Hayward will get an immediate annual pension worth about £600,000 ($930,000) when he leaves in October, the BBC has learned.

Mr Hayward is to stand down after sustained criticism of his handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil leak.

However, a BP source said he would be nominated for a non-executive position at the firm's Russian joint venture.
Guardian wrote:But the expected unveiling of a new job for Hayward – albeit a far less important one as a non-executive director at its Russian joint venture TNK-BP – could risk diluting the public relations impact of his exit from the top.

The surprise send-off to Siberia where BP has a share in the huge Kovykta field has an added twist because Hayward is being replaced as chief executive at BP by Bob Dudley. The softly spoken American was himself the former chief executive of TNK-BP before he was forced out of the country by the Kremlin two years ago in a dispute over control of the company.
WTF? It's like three card monte. We're the marks.

MYT
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

It's like MLB/NCAA/NBA/NFL coaches.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Guardian wrote:The surprise send-off to Siberia where BP has a share in the huge Kovykta field has an added twist because Hayward is being replaced as chief executive at BP by Bob Dudley. The softly spoken American was himself the former chief executive of TNK-BP before he was forced out of the country by the Kremlin two years ago in a dispute over control of the company.
WTF? It's like three card monte. We're the marks.
I remember reading about that Russian thing in Businessweek and on CNBC way back then. It was a pretty big deal. Russia basically nationalized their operation and when BP balked, it started claiming Dudley was a spy and stuff like that. He left rather quickly at that point.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So maybe Hayward getting sent out there to be Putined?

This is him in London after the announcment/meeting.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Did anyone else catch the NatGeo specials last week?

The Gulf Oil Spill (Encore 7/27 - tomorrow)

Fighting back - Stories from the Spill (Encore 7/27 - tomorrow).

We watched the 2nd one, and the first is still on the DVR. The one we watched about the cleanup was really interesting.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Where is the oil?

Several weeks ago I did some research on the biggest oil spills. There was a spill into the Gulf from Mexico some years back that dumped a ton of oil straight from a well much like this spill.

The same thing was observed in that spill. The oil seemingly disappeared. The ecosystem bounced back pretty quickly, and hardly any oil ever washed up. It's still a mystery where the oil went.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

msduncan wrote:Where is the oil?

Several weeks ago I did some research on the biggest oil spills. There was a spill into the Gulf from Mexico some years back that dumped a ton of oil straight from a well much like this spill.

The same thing was observed in that spill. The oil seemingly disappeared. The ecosystem bounced back pretty quickly, and hardly any oil ever washed up. It's still a mystery where the oil went.
It's the damned Chinese and their oil ladles!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Enough

Post by Enough »

tjg_marantz wrote:
msduncan wrote:Where is the oil?

It's the damned Chinese and their oil ladles!
This missing oil has been found lounging down low in Desoto Canyon.