Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' Set For Film Trilogy, TV Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' Set For Film Trilogy, TV Ser

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Wait, what?? 'Splain yerrself.
Without knowing what you know, he essentially inserted Harry Potter plot devices (items from the Harry Potter series) into book #5 of The Dark Tower. It was ham-fisted and completely an intentional fan-boy thing that he did, but given that the Dark Tower books span the multiverse it was certainly something that could have happened. However, I didn't enjoy the references or their inclusion as it pulled me out of books. To be fair, he also references Star Wars and Doctor Doom, but at the time it didn't feel nearly as contemporary as Harry Potter stuff - which was actually labeled "Harry Potter model".
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Not read any of the books and it looked pretty good to me.

Choice between reading the books before or after.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

After. Always after when you have the choice.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Reemul wrote:Not read any of the books and it looked pretty good to me.
It's a small sample size, but the people I've talked to who never read the books thought that the trailer looked really good.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

msteelers wrote:It's a small sample size, but the people I've talked to who never read the books thought that the trailer looked really good.
It doesn't surprise me, since that's who the movie's probably made for. My sample size came to pretty much the same conclusion.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

YellowKing wrote:
msteelers wrote:It's a small sample size, but the people I've talked to who never read the books thought that the trailer looked really good.
It doesn't surprise me, since that's who the movie's probably made for. My sample size came to pretty much the same conclusion.
That's just not true. While they certainly do want to gain new fans, they wouldn't have bothered licensing the IP if they didn't also want fans of the books. The reciting of the Gunslinger's Oath (or whatever it's called) and the slow motion reloading in the trailer are clearly meant to cater to fans of the books. Just because some fans decided long ago that they were going to hate this (that's probably a little harsh, but not necessarily untrue) doesn't mean that other fans aren't looking forward to it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote:The reciting of the Gunslinger's Oath (or whatever it's called) and the slow motion reloading in the trailer are clearly meant to cater to fans of the books.
The Gunslinger's Creed, and yeah, that's my favorite part of the trailer...possibly just ahead of actually seeing Roland's magic speed loading.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

ImLawBoy wrote:That's just not true.
I probably should have put a smiley in there. That was a bit of a tongue in cheek statement.

But I can say my hate was never pre-decided. That decision came completely from the trailer. :D
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

JCC wrote:I have no idea if the movie will be good or not, but they have made it abundantly clear that this is NOT a retelling of the books. It is a follow up to the books. Roland has the horn. And I believe the plan is to follow the movie with a series, but I am sure that won't happen if the movie flops.
Where did you read this? I love behind the scenes spoiler.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
JCC wrote:I have no idea if the movie will be good or not, but they have made it abundantly clear that this is NOT a retelling of the books. It is a follow up to the books. Roland has the horn. And I believe the plan is to follow the movie with a series, but I am sure that won't happen if the movie flops.
Where did you read this? I love behind the scenes spoiler.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
King posted a picture of the horn on twitter and various sites have inferred based on that. It's been made clear whether or not it's after the books that it's definitely not a straight adaptation of the books. I think EW reported on the series a year or two ago.

I have read the DT books more times then I care to admit. I am skeptical about the movie, but I thought the trailer looked awesome.

Honestly, good or bad, this movie can't tarnish the Dark Tower any more than King did with the final 2 awful books.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
DD*

Post by DD* »

After repeated viewing with the revised plot outlined in this thread, I'm warming to this one. Obviously the jury is still out, but framing it as a "Gunslinger" movie rather than a LOTR-type adaptation of the King series helped, I think.

And I have to say that whoever it was that implied people's issues with the casting is because Idris is black, that's a crap statement. He just does not even come close the much-described appearance of Roland.

Here is the mental image I see when picturing Roland Deschain (click to embiggen):

Enlarge Image
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
DD*

Post by DD* »

Holy tentacles! I stand corrected, it's a perfect match. How could anyone think, "hmmm, not quite who I saw in that role based on the gazillion books, images, comics, etc, that picture and describe Roland." Could be twins.

Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If Ka can change things like how Jake is apparently not in 1977 anymore or allow Roland to seemingly walk around Time Square (which he never did), I'm guessing it can also change melanin levels.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Walking around the desert for years tends to have an impact.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's done. He's cast. The movie has been made. Time to get over it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

DD* wrote: Here is the mental image I see when picturing Roland Deschain (click to embiggen):
Bah, too many fingers.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Also they decided he's not going to wear a hat like he does throughout the entire freaking series. Because...no reason. Other than to apparently piss me off.
Last edited by YellowKing on Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Magnificent Seven only earned ~$160M. Westerns aren't cool this decade.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

YellowKing wrote:Also they decided he's not going to wear a hat like he does throughout the entire freaking series. Because...no reason. Other than to apparently piss me off.
I have determined that you need to hope that Hollywood never adapts any books you like.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Jeff V wrote:
DD* wrote: Here is the mental image I see when picturing Roland Deschain (click to embiggen):
Bah, too many fingers.
Tis early...

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

ImLawBoy wrote:I have determined that you need to hope that Hollywood never adapts any books you like.
<shrug> My opinion isn't out of line with what a bunch of other folks around the internet are saying, many of them professional journalists. I'd be pleased as punched if I'm wrong and this movie kicks ass.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

naednek wrote:never read the books, thought the trailer looked cool.
Agreed adding, I would see the movie when I can watch in my home.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I can totally understand where YK is coming from . . .

. . . that said, never read the books and know just a smidgen about them, and I thought the trailer looked pretty cool, especially the gunslinging part.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I don't think anyone could play the Roland I have in my head. Action movies have moved on and he's being portrayed as a modern action star not a mythic lawman from an old western. Elba is also at least 10 years too young. Roland needs at least a hint of being old and tired.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

New teaser trailer posted yesterday. This looks a bit more like a summer-action movie than I would like to see. If I can somehow disconnect my brain and keep reminding myself it's not the books, maybe...
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

ImLawBoy wrote:It's done. He's cast. The movie has been made. Time to get over it.
You seem unfamiliar with how the internet works.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
DD*

Post by DD* »

Moliere wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:It's done. He's cast. The movie has been made. Time to get over it.
You seem unfamiliar with how the internet works.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ever since a tweet of a very important prop was posted to Twitter last summer, fans have assumed that the upcoming Dark Tower movie is a sequel to the books. And now, the film’s director has confirmed that.

“It is, in fact, a continuation,” director Nik Arcel told IGN. “It is a canon continuation. That’s exactly what we intended and what Stephen King has signed off on.”
To explain why that horn and text is so important, it’s necessary to spoil the ending of King’s series. So if you are planning on reading the books before The Dark Tower is out in August (which I recently did) you may want to go away. But if not, keep reading. Just know that the movie has been structured and conceived so it’s not necessary to have any knowledge of the books, which also fits in with the world.
Spoilers at the link.

Gizmodo
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Next big thing in films could be conglomerate efforts. King and Suess together could be creepy as hell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztxEHtrgTRg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KZ6DkbZ_M
two months
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

King has seen a final version and had this to say:
"After he saw the film for the first time, (King wrote to me), "This is not exactly my novel, but this is very much in the spirit and the tone. And I'm very happy."
I'm probably reading too much into it, but that sounds like a lukewarm reception to me. "I'm very happy" is what you say when you find out your ex-girlfriend who you're still in love with just got married, and you're trying to put on a brave face.
" At one point he said, "I have some notes for script." And he sent us a hard copy of the script, with hand-written notes. He was very polite and very respectful. It was always like, "Maybe Roland doesn't talk so much here"... he was just like the groundskeeper of the characters."
Translation: We were seriously fucking up this movie because we don't understand the characters and aren't true fans, and King was trying to be polite.

Argh, don't listen to me guys. I'm just a cynical bitter old man. But I'm not getting warm fuzzies. Prove me wrong, movie. Prove me wrong.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm with you re: the "this is not exactly my novel" comment. That invokes a specific tone immediately when I read it, and not a positive one.

OTOH, potentially so what (that it's not "exactly his novel")? As a big fan of the books, I found the trailers exciting, and will definitely see this. Doesn't have to correspond exactly to the book (for ME), but I still admit to completely getting pulled out by the casting decision for Roland. It's just jarring after reading so much description about Roland's physical description and minute details about his appearance in those...how many pages? 8 billion? :D
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm assuming most here have seen the two filmed versions of The Shining. Kubrick's version was not exactly King's novel, but it was awesome. The later version that was pretty much exactly King's novel pretty much sucked.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, the Shining is a great example as I believe King doesn't like the original version but had nothing bad to say about remake.

The Dark Tower is a bit different. Not only is it his largest single body of work (spanning his entire career) but it is tied into so many of his other seemingly unrelated novels that I can't imagine he's able to provide an unbiased review of the film. While I wouldn't necessarily expect him to praise it, I'd agree that his comments sound neutral at best. More of a "they took my general idea of what it was all about and converted their own ideas into a movie." I'd almost be willing to say it sounds like he's beginning to distance himself from it all. :cry:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Since I've found the books rather "meh" so far (maybe one day I'll try to soldier on and read book 5), I rather consider this potentially a good thing.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, the Shining is a great example as I believe King doesn't like the original version but had nothing bad to say about remake.

The Dark Tower is a bit different. Not only is it his largest single body of work (spanning his entire career) but it is tied into so many of his other seemingly unrelated novels that I can't imagine he's able to provide an unbiased review of the film. While I wouldn't necessarily expect him to praise it, I'd agree that his comments sound neutral at best. More of a "they took my general idea of what it was all about and converted their own ideas into a movie." I'd almost be willing to say it sounds like he's beginning to distance himself from it all. :cry:
Is that really so bad? The occasional Shining or Misery notwithstanding, it's not like King movie adaptations have a stellar success rate.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Is that really so bad? The occasional Shining or Misery notwithstanding, it's not like King movie adaptations have a stellar success rate.
A lot of his books focus on character development often with little action until the climax, and aren't especially suited for movies. He's still probably generated more hit movies than any other author I can think of; starting with his very first book, Carrie.

Part of the problem I have with the Dark Tower series is that I just don't like the characters, and some of the situations they find themselves in seem silly and resolution implausible. Much of this is due to crossing too many genres. I'll allow that it's possible to distill a coherent (and enjoyable) story by creating more consistency throughout all aspects of the story. We'll see, I guess.
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

Jeff V wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote: Is that really so bad? The occasional Shining or Misery notwithstanding, it's not like King movie adaptations have a stellar success rate.
A lot of his books focus on character development often with little action until the climax, and aren't especially suited for movies. He's still probably generated more hit movies than any other author I can think of; starting with his very first book, Carrie.

Part of the problem I have with the Dark Tower series is that I just don't like the characters, and some of the situations they find themselves in seem silly and resolution implausible. Much of this is due to crossing too many genres. I'll allow that it's possible to distill a coherent (and enjoyable) story by creating more consistency throughout all aspects of the story. We'll see, I guess.
Ka

TiLT

Post by TiLT »

YellowKing wrote:I'm probably reading too much into it, but that sounds like a lukewarm reception to me.
I think you're reading too much into it, particularly with the fresh announcement that this is a canon sequel to The Dark Tower novels. It's not the exact same story and it's not supposed to be. Stephen King is not just aware of this, he approved it.
Insert witty comment here.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As much as I love Stephen King, he's approved a LOT of utter crap based on his work. :D I do like that it's confirmed to be post-novels, even though I think that's a bit of a cop-out.
DD*

Post by DD* »

YellowKing wrote:As much as I love Stephen King, he's approved a LOT of utter crap based on his work. :D I do like that it's confirmed to be post-novels, even though I think that's a bit of a cop-out.
Silence, heathen! This stuff was pure gold - Emilio should've won an Oscar!

Enlarge Image