Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' Set For Film Trilogy, TV Series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rshetts2

Re: Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' Set For Film Trilogy, TV Ser

Post by rshetts2 »

Goldmans point of view is pretty cut and dry. You can disagree with the casting, hes fine with that. What hes not fine with is if your disagreement is based in racism. Or if your responses are racist, because I can guarantee he has received some pretty vile and hateful correspondence, over this cast choice. He does not have 3 defined groups in mind. That is your definition of the situation not his. He can not be held responsible for your definitions and you can not define his intent by your beliefs.
Last edited by rshetts2 on Fri May 20, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

King might have revealed more than he intended...or maybe he's just not really good at communicating in 144 characters or less. I suppose I should spoiler this in case anyone hasn't read the books yet (why are you in this thread?):
Spoiler:
There’s an image of the Horn Of Eld, the words “Last Time Around,” and it’s hard to interpret King’s caption as being anything but a reference to Roland actually blowing the horn like he’s supposed to. If that’s the case, and Idris Elba’s Roland is really being set up to get things right in the movie that the character got wrong in the book, then it has huge implications for the film’s plot.

For one thing, it means the movie might technically be a sequel to the books and not just a re-telling of the same story, and this could be a way of justifying any changes that the movie makes. After all, it wouldn’t be telling the same story, it would be telling a purposefully different version of that story. Plus, that’s all without even mentioning that this movie (or a hypothetical sequel) could give the entire saga the truly definitive ending that it never had before, which means—possibly for the first time ever—this could be an adaptation that actually impacts the books it’s based on. It is, in a word, bananas.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Now *that* I could probably get behind.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

That would definitely be bananas.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

The man in black aka Matthew McConaughey.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Morgan Freeman as Red in Shawshank was fantastic and I have no problem with this.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Polygon has up a leaked trailer. Watch it before Sony has it pulled

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/10/13228 ... ak]trailer
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Whoa. Nice find. I'm not really sure what to make of it, but I'm really hoping the earlier rumors regarding what the movie represents (and why it could be so different from the books) is true.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Delayed to Summer 2017
Sony has informed distributors that the new release date will be July 28.
Regarding the leak:
A trailer leak last month featured mostly rough visual effects, and the filmmakers have discovered that the aggressive February timeline isn’t enough time to get the sci-fi/fantasy epic into shape, given its financial constraints. The film has a surprisingly low cost of about $60 million, and the choice was either to add millions more to the budget to speed up the work, or push to a later date. “It’s a very fiscally responsible budget, and trying to stay in budget to make money and stay profitable means the VFX won’t be finished in time [for February],” one source tells EW, on condition of anonymity. “Now that there’s more time, they’re not paying rush charges to get the effects where they need to be.”
$60 million for this film seems...surprisingly low.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How does more time mean cheaper effects?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Classic scope triangle. You want it fast and you want it high quality? Prepare to pay.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Isgrimnur wrote:How does more time mean cheaper effects?
they’re not paying rush charges to get the effects where they need to be.”
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Reading fail.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Looks like we're getting something tomorrow. But I'll admit, seeing the actual exchange in my Twitter feed made me giddy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Here's the trailer
Spoiler:
This trailer did not work for me - it is hard to have serious concerns considering how little is there but IMO it looks like another Sony hack job.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was considerably underwhelmed by that trailer.

Here's my problem:

1. I still don't buy Idris Elba as Roland. Sorry, I don't. I didn't like the casting when it was first announced, then I tried to keep an open mind, but now seeing it in the trailer I realize it's just not going to work for me. And if I can't buy Roland, then the entire movie falls apart. And again, it has nothing to do with racism as I looooooove Idris Elba. It's just that I have spent the last 30 years with this character that has been described countless times in books and comic books one way, and then this movie goes in a completely different direction. I'd have had just as much problem buying it if they had cast Tom Cruise or Ben Affleck.

2. The trailer definitely feels like they're trying to cram too much story into one film. All I could think of was "Dark Tower: Cliff Notes Edition."

3. The tone just feels......off. I get the feeling that just like Paul Feig's Ghostbusters, this is a film created by a person who understands the story, characters, and plot on a very thin surface level. But they don't understand the film from a fan level. And fans can see through that charade a mile away.

I hope I'm wrong, but my Spidey sense is definitely setting off alarms right now.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's disorienting to watch because whatever they just portrayed in the trailer seems like it should be The Dark Tower story but it's not quite right. I keep telling myself that the rumored spoiler regarding the movie (i.e. when this movie story takes place) is the best explanation I can hope for as clearly the exact story of the books isn't being depicted here. I've read the Dark Tower series more than any other book or series of books so to say I have high hopes is an understatement. I can still very clearly remember reading The Gunslinger for the first time.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I've only read the first three or four Dark Tower books, but almost nothing in that trailer seemed familiar to me (the exceptions being the Man in Black and the words of the Gunslinger). It has been six years since I've read the books, though.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apparently the trailer is filled with all kinds of interesting things. Had to watch it again to see this at the 1:30 mark:

Enlarge Image
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I read the original Dark Tower a long time about but I'm pretty sure I never read whatever that trailer was for. :?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Having never read the books, that trailer was rather 'meh'. As much as I love Elba and like Mcconaughey, that looked like nothing more than a generic, boilerplate fantasy film. Based on the reaction, I'm guessing the books are quite different than what was depicted there.

I should probably get around to reading them someday.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

After watching the trailer, I think it's best if I give up hope of seeing a faithful adaptation of the books. That's not what this is.

That's disappointing, but we're still left with a movie at least "inspired by" the books with two great actors who can maybe create some compelling characters. Maybe if I lower my expectations enough I'll still enjoy it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

msteelers wrote:I think it's best if I give up hope of seeing a faithful adaptation of the books.
Nothing short of an episodic hourly drama that unfolds over multiple seasons would ever come close to a faithful adaptation of the books. The fact that Jake is seemingly trying to convince Roland that he needs to save the Tower should be a big clue that this isn't the story we've all read.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote:I should probably get around to reading them someday.
I second that. Someday I'll have to read it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know that it could possible live up to the hype, but as someone that blasted through the first three books in 1991 and then had to wait 6 years to read book #4, and then another 6 years to read #5 you all have it lucky. Punks. :D
naednek

Post by naednek »

never read the books, thought the trailer looked cool.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Smoove_B wrote:
msteelers wrote:I think it's best if I give up hope of seeing a faithful adaptation of the books.
Nothing short of an episodic hourly drama that unfolds over multiple seasons would ever come close to a faithful adaptation of the books. The fact that Jake is seemingly trying to convince Roland that he needs to save the Tower should be a big clue that this isn't the story we've all read.
I largely agree. We've seen so many epic TV shows in the past couple of years that it's easy to believe that someone like HBO or Netflix would get it right.

This will never happen but I think a cinematic universe of King's work, with the Dark Tower as the backbone, would be amazing.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

naednek wrote:never read the books, thought the trailer looked cool.
My cousin said the same thing.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've read the books, and the trailer seemed decent. I'm not married to a faithful retelling of the books, though. Much of King's work doesn't translate well to the screen, so if they have to make serious changes to make the movie, fine. I'd rather have a good movie that deviates from the source material than a bad movie that is faithful to the source material.

I'll obviously withhold final judgment on this until I see it. If I can make a suggestion to the more rabid DT fans here, though, it would be to come to terms with the fact that this movie will not be a faithful adaptation of the books, the story will not be told in the same manner/chronology as the books, it will not be an HBO series, and Idris Elba will not be white. That ship has sailed. If you want any chance at enjoying this movie, then let all of that go and take the movie for what it is. (After we've all seen it, of course, we can then go back to talking about how much they screwed up this element or that, or how they actually improved on something.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote:Idris Elba will not be white.
Ummm...spoiler?

But yes, as I said, if the spoiler that has been suggested as to what this movie represents in the telling of The Dark Tower story is true, I think it will be ok. If what is rumored to have been the framework for this movie isn't true...trouble.
Spoiler:
I need to believe he now has the Horn of the Eld and this is the final spin of the wheel.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The best part of the trailer was the music. I recognized it immediately from the movie For a Few Dollars More. Its a nice nod to the "real" Roland, Clint Eastwoods Man with No Name. The rest.... meh. It seems to run from Jakes point of view and has a watered down YA vibe to it. I think the only way Ill be able to watch without disappointment is to accept that this is not the Dark Tower timeline from the books but a different timeline in one of Rolands many attempts to set things right. Ill also have a tough time with Elba, who simply does not work as The Gunslinger for me. Thats coming from someone who likes Idris and thinks he is a fine actor and actually thought it would work earlier. Now seeing him in the role, he just doesn't fit. To be honest I would rather see the actors in the roles of Roland and the Man in Black reversed. But I guess it's far too late for that so I will have to get past my reservations.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I guess my problem with the whole "this is not the same timeline" thing is that it seems like a cop out. It's basically exploiting the "many worlds" premise of the book to justify the fact that you can't make a faithful adaptation. King unintentionally gave every hack working on this thing a built-in excuse as to why it doesn't resemble the source material.

Though I will say that "Idris Elba will not be white" line made me LOL at work. :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote:I guess my problem with the whole "this is not the same timeline" thing is that it seems like a cop out. It's basically exploiting the "many worlds" premise of the book to justify the fact that you can't make a faithful adaptation. King unintentionally gave every hack working on this thing a built-in excuse as to why it doesn't resemble the source material.

Though I will say that "Idris Elba will not be white" line made me LOL at work. :D
We can do that two, three times tops.

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It might be a total cop-out or it could be a way to craft a story that follows the same general narrative as the books without alienating people that haven't ever read them. If the movie is a different interpretation on the journey to the Tower but it's filled with references to the novels (and related books) that only the "faithful readers" pick up on, I think it might actually be pretty cool. I mean, let's not pretend King's fascination with all things Harry Potter was a great addition to book #5.

But I swear to God, if Jake is ever in front of a computer terminal and while trying to "hack" a beam says, "It's a Unix system - I know this!" I will get up and walk out.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Paingod wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:I should probably get around to reading them someday.
I second that. Someday I'll have to read it.
I've made two attempts with the 2nd leaving off where Roland is leaving some kind of mountain / Moria like place...

I'm sure I will love it..just hasn't stuck yet. I did the same thing with Song of Ice and Fire..for whatever reason it took me over a year after AGoT to get through ACoK but from then on the rest were devoured right away.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
JCC

Post by JCC »

I have no idea if the movie will be good or not, but they have made it abundantly clear that this is NOT a retelling of the books. It is a follow up to the books. Roland has the horn. And I believe the plan is to follow the movie with a series, but I am sure that won't happen if the movie flops.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I've only read the first book, so am not a freak fan. If I could survive goddamn surfing Elves, I'll survive this. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote:I mean, let's not pretend King's fascination with all things Harry Potter was a great addition to book #5.
Wait, what?? 'Splain yerrself.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Lot of comments here cover my feelings as well - Idris is just not Roland. I like the guy as an actor but he just seems horribly miscast here. Definitely feeling the YA vibe as well, and the "too much story for too little movie" feeling. If LOTR took three movies, the Dark Tower just can't be crammed into one without cutting out huge chunks of the story.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The last time I had this much confusion as to what a movie was trying to be, it was another Sony fiasco called GHOSTBUSTERS.