concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Skinypupy »

mori wrote:The Ghost performance was interesting. I knew nothing of the band besides being a costume band from Sweden. The singer sucked. Total nasally sound and talked too much.
I know what those words mean individually, but when you put them together like that, it makes no damn sense at all. :P

They're here in 3 weeks, I'm still on the fence. I really want to see Ghost again, but have always been entirely ambivalent towards Maiden. I feel like they're a band I should see (just to keep my metal cred), but I'm really not much of a fan. $48 for GA is a lot to pay to really just see an opening band.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Brian

Post by Brian »

During most of the 80's the opening band was usually who I went to see since they tended to be the up-and-comings of the time. Of course, the headliner was also a bonus but that's who everybody else was there to see.

Shows I went to specifically for the opener included Yngwie Malmsteen opening for Quiet Riot (blech), Ratt opening for Bon Jovi, Queensryche opening for AC/DC, Metal Church opening for Anthrax, and plenty more I'm sure I've forgotten.

A friend and I will be going to see Maiden in Lincoln, NE on the 9th. This will be the fourth time we've seen them together including their Book of Souls stop in Chicago last year.

And yeah, I bought tickets in the seating section. I have some nerve damage in my left leg and if I stand for too long it becomes excruciatingly painful. (Like when we went to the Chicago show, I was practically in tears by the end of that show even after maxing out on Advil beforehand.)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
mori

Post by mori »

Skinypupy wrote:
mori wrote:The Ghost performance was interesting. I knew nothing of the band besides being a costume band from Sweden. The singer sucked. Total nasally sound and talked too much.
I know what those words mean individually, but when you put them together like that, it makes no damn sense at all. :P

They're here in 3 weeks, I'm still on the fence. I really want to see Ghost again, but have always been entirely ambivalent towards Maiden. I feel like they're a band I should see (just to keep my metal cred), but I'm really not much of a fan. $48 for GA is a lot to pay to really just see an opening band.
He just sounded filtered and drowned out. Maybe he had allergies or his mics were not set up right and he kept talking about orgasms. People started to yell STFU and play a song. We paid $125 a piece for GA so I think $48 is a steal to see Ghost/Maiden.
mori

Post by mori »

Brian wrote:During most of the 80's the opening band was usually who I went to see since they tended to be the up-and-comings of the time. Of course, the headliner was also a bonus but that's who everybody else was there to see.

Shows I went to specifically for the opener included Yngwie Malmsteen opening for Quiet Riot (blech), Ratt opening for Bon Jovi, Queensryche opening for AC/DC, Metal Church opening for Anthrax, and plenty more I'm sure I've forgotten.

A friend and I will be going to see Maiden in Lincoln, NE on the 9th. This will be the fourth time we've seen them together including their Book of Souls stop in Chicago last year.

And yeah, I bought tickets in the seating section. I have some nerve damage in my left leg and if I stand for too long it becomes excruciatingly painful. (Like when we went to the Chicago show, I was practically in tears by the end of that show even after maxing out on Advil beforehand.)
My thinking was that I was going to make my way to the back after the first Maiden song and find a mellow place to be and enjoy the show. But for some masochistic reason I hung in there and got messed up in the process.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Forgot to tell everyone I saw King Crimson this week.

MIND. BLOWN. See this tour, if you can. Wow.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

mori wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:

He just sounded filtered and drowned out. Maybe he had allergies or his mics were not set up right and he kept talking about orgasms. People started to yell STFU and play a song. We paid $125 a piece for GA so I think $48 is a steal to see Ghost/Maiden.
Yeah, I can see how they wouldn't work as well as an opener, especially if people aren't familiar with their somewhat unique shtick and they're playing a shortened set.

My favorite opener was probably Bauhaus opening for NIN or Myrkur opening for Behemoth. Both stole the entire show.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

:idea:
nasai wrote:Forgot to tell everyone I saw King Crimson this week.

MIND. BLOWN. See this tour, if you can. Wow.
They are in Denver next week and was considering it.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
nasai

Post by nasai »

Go. Find tickets. It's outstanding. Of all the shows I've seen, easily top 3. I'm talking Bowie, Pink Floyd other world type stuff.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Roger Waters last night, setlist here. i was really hoping to hear "Vera" again and figured the chances of that happening were remote. well, i was wrong. the mini-Animals portion of the tracklist was my favorite part. "Hahaa, charade you are..."

getting the new album today
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hitbyambulance wrote:Roger Waters last night, setlist here. i was really hoping to hear "Vera" again and figured the chances of that happening were remote. well, i was wrong. the mini-Animals portion of the tracklist was my favorite part. "Hahaa, charade you are..."

That setlist is proof that Waters solo career has been absolute shit. The dude hasn't been relative for many. many years.
He has to lean extremely heavy on the Floyd stuff. I love that the website you linked to lists the setlist as having 19 cover songs.......hahaha. Nostalgia is a cash cow and he is milking it while railing against others that dare to do the same.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stimpy wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:Roger Waters last night, setlist here. i was really hoping to hear "Vera" again and figured the chances of that happening were remote. well, i was wrong. the mini-Animals portion of the tracklist was my favorite part. "Hahaa, charade you are..."

That setlist is proof that Waters solo career has been absolute shit. The dude hasn't been relative for many. many years.
He has to lean extremely heavy on the Floyd stuff. I love that the website you linked to lists the setlist as having 19 cover songs.......hahaha. Nostalgia is a cash cow and he is milking it while railing against others that dare to do the same.
Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking was really good, I still listen to that. The others, not so much. I'd consider paying his asking price to see a reprise of the Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking tour (he'll need Clapton along though) - it was probably the best concert I've ever seen. Last year I saw a Pink Floyd cover band play for free. Not only am I not inclined to pay Water's price to see him do nothing but Pink Floyd songs, but even at free, he better be playing the show in my back yard (well, I had to go a few blocks to see that cover band, but I do have a pretty big back yard now).

Wife was making noises about wanting to go to Ribfest this weekend. The only day that interests me is Saturday, but talk about nostalgia - The Romantics, Flock of Seagulls, and The B-52's. The more I think about it, the less I want to deal with the hassle of getting there. I've seen 2 of 3 of those bands back in their hey-day.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote:Next up will be Epica/Lacuna Coil in June
How was this show? Or have we not gotten to the part of June yet in which it happens?
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lacuna Coil's next tour date is July 1st in Italy. They're in Salt Lake City on September 9th.

Epica has been in/near Europe all month
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Yeah, I did that research too after I saw his post. Was wondering why he said they were playing in June.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

:lol: :lol:
Hodor.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i for sure would have liked to hear anything from _The Final Cut_, _Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking_, _Radio KAOS_ or _Amused to Death_, but nooooo, had to squeeze almost all of _The Dark Side of the Moon_ into the set. meh.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that set list surprises me a bit if I were being honest. I'd seen him play a few years back (probably more than a few at this point) and the stuff he played from Amused to Death was truly awesome to experience in a quasi-stadium environment. I'm seeing this show in September so maybe the set list will change a bit... Considering how politically relevant some of his post Pink Floyd songs still are, I really am wondering why they didn't make it into the show you saw.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Not only am I not inclined to pay Water's price to see him do nothing but Pink Floyd songs, but even at free, he better be playing the show in my back yard (well, I had to go a few blocks to see that cover band, but I do have a pretty big back yard now).
I used to see Waters fairly religiously where most of his show was still Floyd. It was not uncommon for him to do the entire Shine on You Crazy Diamond, which is to say he would sit down and play cards on stage while various members of the band were featured for long periods of time. Until the last aughts you could still thirty or thirty five dollars to sit in good lower bowl seating. I broke down and paid over the century mark to see The Wall. It was worth it but I won't do it again. Not even to see him do his Pigs: Three Different Kinds tribute to Trump. I just don't get my bang for the buck when it comes to stadium shows and stadium show pricing. It makes me sad I don't have the oomph to go all night long to small shows any more. It really was my favorite hobby.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, yesterday I got a call from a suburban dinosaur rock informing me I won tickets for the Lisle Eyes to the Sky fest this weekend. So rather than Ribfest, it seems we'll be going Saturday to see the fossilized remains of Foghat. Stimpy, do you still go to this?
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:Well, yesterday I got a call from a suburban dinosaur rock informing me I won tickets for the Lisle Eyes to the Sky fest this weekend. So rather than Ribfest, it seems we'll be going Saturday to see the fossilized remains of Foghat. Stimpy, do you still go to this?

I heard they were terrible. I was going to see them several years back, as I think they have two fantastic albums end to end (Fool for the City and Stone Blue) and Rod Price is one of my favorite guitarists who made me fall in love with the slide but reviews of the band made me invest my time elsewhere. Wiki informs me that both Dave Perverett and Rod Price are dead. I can't see how Foghat exists with neither of them alive. The drummer is the only surviving original member and he holds no memories of the band for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foghat
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jeff V wrote:Well, yesterday I got a call from a suburban dinosaur rock informing me I won tickets for the Lisle Eyes to the Sky fest this weekend. So rather than Ribfest, it seems we'll be going Saturday to see the fossilized remains of Foghat. Stimpy, do you still go to this?
I do. We're trying to figure out our schedule for that weekend. It's the last weekend in the current house before I become homeless for 4 days.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Oh, they were quite dreadful when I saw them at a local festival about 7-8 years ago, not even a shadow of what they were when I saw them in 1980 at Alpine Valley. The two opening bands should be somewhat more entertaining, Fortunate Son (CCR cover band) and Infinity --I knew some past members of that band, they've been around forever and basically play the exact type of music that's the format of the station I won the tickets from. Wouldn't surprise me if they did some Foghat songs better than Foghat. If it wasn't for the fireworks show in the middle of the Foghat set, I probably wouldn't bother with them at all -- maybe still won't, there's a secondary stage with a blues act playing at the same time. We almost certainly won't stick around after the fireworks to hear what I presume would be their big hits.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stimpy wrote:
I do. We're trying to figure out our schedule for that weekend. It's the last weekend in the current house before I become homeless for 4 days.
If you'll be there Saturday, let me know.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Next up will be Epica/Lacuna Coil in June
How was this show? Or have we not gotten to the part of June yet in which it happens?
Grim is correct, they're not here until September. Apparently I misread the flyer at the Pallbearer show. :oops:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

They started announcing bands for next year's "70,000 Tons of Metal" cruise this weekend. Already we've got Meshuggah, Korpiklaani, Enslaved, Sepultura, Aeternam, Septicflesh, and Dark Tranquility (and a bunch of others I don't care about). I was thinking I might skip this year, but the lineup is already amazing...and they've only announced 12 (of 60) bands.

I know Sepultura's not anywhere near what they once were, but "Arise" was the first metal album I ever bought, so I have a huge soft spot for them. I've seen Enslaved (they opened for Amon Amarth), but the venue was having power issues and it kept cutting out midway through every song. So I've really only seen half of a few songs from them. :lol:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote:They started announcing bands for next year's "70,000 Tons of Metal" cruise this weekend. Already we've got Meshuggah, Korpiklaani, Enslaved, Sepultura, Aeternam, Septicflesh, and Dark Tranquility (and a bunch of others I don't care about). I was thinking I might skip this year, but the lineup is already amazing...and they've only announced 12 (of 60) bands.

I know Sepultura's not anywhere near what they once were, but "Arise" was the first metal album I ever bought, so I have a huge soft spot for them. I've seen Enslaved (they opened for Amon Amarth), but the venue was having power issues and it kept cutting out midway through every song. So I've really only seen half of a few songs from them. :lol:
Sonata Arctica is on there (they're decent live), but the Rhapsody Reunion announcement today is pretty big, too.
Hodor.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:They started announcing bands for next year's "70,000 Tons of Metal" cruise this weekend. Already we've got Meshuggah, Korpiklaani, Enslaved, Sepultura, Aeternam, Septicflesh, and Dark Tranquility (and a bunch of others I don't care about). I was thinking I might skip this year, but the lineup is already amazing...and they've only announced 12 (of 60) bands.

I'm just not risking getting on another boat and being sea sick again for 3 days. That's about as miserable a situation you can imagine.

But boy I'm tempted......
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm no metal fan, but just wanted to chime in that Meshuggah i an awesome name for a band.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

tgb wrote:I'm no metal fan, but just wanted to chime in that Meshuggah i an awesome name for a band.
Incredible musicians, but they're a...challenging listen.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Two songs into the Foghat set, the kids had enough and we left. There was not a moment in those two songs that gave hope it would get better.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jeff V wrote:Two songs into the Foghat set, the kids had enough and we left. There was not a moment in those two songs that gave hope it would get better.
I heard the same from others that went.
I didn't attend 1 single fest this past holiday weekend.
Damn life.....always getting in the way of a good time.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Going to see Supersuckers here in town next month at a small 147 capacity rockabilly bar. Adding one more notch on the belt with these guys. They are the band we have seen most out of all the shows we've ever been to.

This will be somewhere between 35-38 times seeing them since the early '90s...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Buffy St. Marie headlining the start of our summer music festival tonight followed by Yukon Blonde on Friday, A Tribe Called Red on Saturday, and Whitehorse on Sunday. Epic weekend!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stimpy wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Two songs into the Foghat set, the kids had enough and we left. There was not a moment in those two songs that gave hope it would get better.
I heard the same from others that went.
I didn't attend 1 single fest this past holiday weekend.
Damn life.....always getting in the way of a good time.....
I think I'd enjoy fests more if not encumbered by the kids. It really is a pain in the ass to haul everything that must be brought along, and then you are entirely at their sufferance when it comes to how much or what you can enjoy.

Now I'm trying to find something to do this weekend. My wife is working 7 pm - 7am Saturday and Sunday and it would be best to get the kids out of the house during the day so she can sleep.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

2 weeks until I see Hans Zimmer in concert. Can't wait.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

2nd day of festival. First half of the evening was better than the last half, which was amazing and eclectic, ranging from middle eastern to Brazilian. It was as if they flipped a switch and changed directions in the type of entertainment they had. Well, those two last bands tonight were TUNS (Apparently an acronym, but they didn't tell us what, so I'll call them The Union of Northern Sasquatch, featuring Chris Murphy of Sloan on drums). I was quite meh on them, but at least the headliner Yukon Blonde had a bit more going for them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Ghost last night, wow!!!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Xmann wrote:Ghost last night, wow!!!
I'm jealous...that would have been an awesome show. I really want to see Khemmis as well.