concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Exodor

Re: Summer concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Exodor »

RunningMn9 wrote:For those that forked over the bucks to see Roger Waters perform The Wall, it has been announced that David Gilmour will be joining him on stage at a concert of his choosing to perform Comfortably Numb together, as a payback for Roger performing with him at a benefit concert in England.

Please pick MSG on 10/6....please pick MSG on 10/6....
Even though I know there's virtually no chance he'll pick Tacoma (Seattle) this is still awesome as hell.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote:Anyhoo, I might be ducking out of both Land of Nod and/or Candlebox this weekend.
If it makes you feel any better, of the hundreds of shows I've been to in my lifetime, Candlebox stands out as far and away the absolute worst band I've ever seen live. They also hold the dubious distinction of being the only band I've actually seen booed off the stage. Doubt you'll miss much.
Just bought my ticket to see Rush in Tampa on October 1st with special edition t-shirt and VIP upgrade! Going by myself this year :D

And just saw that Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax will be at the Hard Rock on October 2nd. Should I have a two-fer? :twisted:
Rush, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax in a 24 hour span? I'd be a little concerned for your safety, as I'm not sure the human brain has the ability to process that much awesome in one day.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Haven't bought tickets yet, but i still want to see Alice in Chains, Mastadon, and Deftones and Red Rocks in October
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Recovering from the Peacemakers show last night. $25 ticket and $120 bar tab. Fan-got-damn tastic. They played every single song I wanted to hear - a total mix of old and new stuff. They seemed like they were having such a great time on stage - it was a tremendous experience.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Why didn't you tell me they used to be the Refreshments? I might have added that to my list and seen them last week.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I thought I did...a few pages ago. :(

They're still touring and they played a new song for a CD that's coming out soon. I don't think they stop; they just take short breaks.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I must have spaced. Their sound is perfect summer sound and I've never seen a show at the Magic Bag. Ah well. It's not like I don't have ton of shows to see every weekend.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I will PM the hell out of you when I see they're coming around again. I would go seem them weekly if I could. They had everyone in the crowd drinking and singing along. It was unreal.

I should probably also mention that the Luke Mulholland Band opened for them and they were actually pretty good. There was like 37 people in the band, but it was an entertaining show.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It looks like they make it to Ann Arbor or Detroit about once a year, so I put them in songkick and if they play a venue that songkick tracks then I will be informed. (only I see they have about 5 more dates on their current roster and none of them are showing up in songkick, so...)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Running out of vacation days and now I need to start making choices for weeknight shows or face going in to work the next day (which takes a lot of pleasure out of seeing a show)

I just commit to Thrill Kill Kult and Lords of Acid for this Wednesday.

So now I have to figure out which weeknight shows to keep and which to cut.

Anyone ever see...

Edward Sharpe
Interpol
Cage the Elephant (and STP, really)
Klaxons
Eels
The Swans
Legendary Pink Dots
Frightened Rabbit and Plants and Animals

Their all weeknight shows that I am up in the air about and I haven't seen any of them before, which is quite frankly why I want to see them. Stupid time and not having enough of it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I haven't seen them myself (going in October), but heard Legendary Pink Dots puts on an amazing live show.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Shitty and Holy Fuck just announced they are playing Sunday, September 26th. What's up with all the weeknight shows. (And yes Sunday is weeknight because I have to work Monday morning)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In preparation for My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult and Lord of Acid tonight, I broke out 13 Above The Night, and awesome album but one that came out many years after MLWTTKK had faded in to obscurity. The damned album is 14 years old. Ouch. I get the feeling it's going to be a really washed up looking crowd showing up tonight.

Checks google...

Confessions of a Knife (1990 Wax Trax!)

Ouch. But I guess that sounds about right.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thrill Kill Kult were a huge disappointment. Pretty much their entire set was a loops and programming. They didn't even have guitarist playing the guitar parts.

OTOH, Lords of Acid were surprisingly (for me) totally kick ass... And music that I thought was going to be mostly programmed was actually performed. A lot of the band were the same people who played in the last iteration of RevCo (who also kicked ass).
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

LordMortis wrote:Running out of vacation days and now I need to start making choices for weeknight shows or face going in to work the next day (which takes a lot of pleasure out of seeing a show)
Ugh. Tell me about it. I saw Silversun Pickups last night and they put on an amazing show - but I didn't get home until 1:00. I was at work at 7:45 this morning.

Thank you magic coffee beans! Without you I'd be passed out at my desk.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Exodor wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Running out of vacation days and now I need to start making choices for weeknight shows or face going in to work the next day (which takes a lot of pleasure out of seeing a show)
Ugh. Tell me about it. I saw Silversun Pickups last night and they put on an amazing show - but I didn't get home until 1:00. I was at work at 7:45 this morning.

Thank you magic coffee beans! Without you I'd be passed out at my desk.
I just can't do that any more. I can stay up until 01:00 and be miserable at work the next day but I can't go out, be active see, see a show, toss back a few beers, roll in the house at 02:00, wind down, and then get up at 06:30 and go to work. If I cut out the beers and sit in the back and enjoy the show like you would a movie, I'd live the next day but that's not what I go to shows for. :(
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

LordMortis wrote:If I cut out the beers and sit in the back and enjoy the show like you would a movie, I'd live the next day but that's not what I go to shows for. :(
Maybe I should be thankful for the drunk girl who helped me spill half of my beer on my shirt and the crowds that prevented me from going back for another.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: I just can't do that any more. I can stay up until 01:00 and be miserable at work the next day but I can't go out, be active see, see a show, toss back a few beers, roll in the house at 02:00, wind down, and then get up at 06:30 and go to work. If I cut out the beers and sit in the back and enjoy the show like you would a movie, I'd live the next day but that's not what I go to shows for. :(
Yup. We were home pretty early from the Peacemakers show last week, but after being out and drinking like it was my job, my ass was kicked for the whole weekend. I seriously don't know how I managed to do that every night in college and then get up and go to class.

Youth really is wasted on the young.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I caught the Flaming Lips show earlier this week. It was pretty disappointing all things considered. First, they were webcasting the concert for Spin Magazine's 25th anniversary so Wayne Coyne kept asking for lots of energy and enthusiasm and we were happy to give it but at a certain point, you gotta earn it. Can't just keep asking for it. The show also relied too heavily on Embryonic. I could come up with a set list of 25 Flaming Lips songs I'd love to hear live and they only played two of them. (She Don't Use Jelly and Do You Realize???) Plus it was super hot and densely packed to the point of uncomfortable claustrophobia. But the balloons and confetti and furries were pretty fun.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm going to see the Grant Park Symphony tonight perform Stravinsky's The Fairy;s Kiss, Liszt's Piano Concerto No. 2, and Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien.

I hope it doesn't rain. :?
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

I just commit to Thrill Kill Kult and Lords of Acid for this Wednesday.
MLWTKK passed their 'sell-by' date well over a decade ago. not recc'd
So now I have to figure out which weeknight shows to keep and which to cut.

Anyone ever see...

Interpol
at some little club in Minneapolis eight years ago - dull
Swans
???reunion tour??? i had been kicking myself for missing their 'farewell' tour in '96 (checks website) yeah, all east coast/midwest and Europe, tho.
Legendary Pink Dots
several times. always worth it

additions to upcoming list:

tonight - Sleepy Eyes of Death
9/2 - Cyndi Lauper
9/11 - Apocalyptica and Dir en Grey
9/21 - The Chameleons Vox (semi-sorta Chameleons reunion with Mark Burgess and the drummer + new band)
9/25 - Melvins
10/9 - James
10/18 - Recoil
10/31 - Gary Numan
12/15 - Killing Joke
GamrIrv

Post by GamrIrv »

Just caught the Bon Jovi concert at Soldier Field in Chicago last night, had a blast!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

They aren't in the summer, but I just found out that both The National and Phoenix are playing in Orlando in October. Woot!
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hitbyambulance wrote:tonight - Sleepy Eyes of Death
9/2 - Cyndi Lauper
9/11 - Apocalyptica and Dir en Grey
9/21 - The Chameleons Vox (semi-sorta Chameleons reunion with Mark Burgess and the drummer + new band)
9/25 - Melvins
10/9 - James
10/18 - Recoil
10/31 - Gary Numan
12/15 - Killing Joke
Missed the Melvins. Heard they were fantastic. :(

I saw Apocalyptica, Gary Numan, and the Killing Joke here as well. I couldn't prioritize the first two and the KJ isn't until almost Christmas. Will see what time is like then.

I'm a little stoked about James. I've wanted to see them forever. Laid is definitely in my top ten favorite albums of all time and their earlier stuff is fairly sold as well. Though I must admit Wah Wah was pretty terrible so I never bothered following them after that (and I don't think they ever came back to Detroit either).
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Wow - Rush at the Shoreline was *fantastic*. For old geezers, those guys still bring it. They played the entire Moving Pictures album in order with no breaks. Yay for live Red Barchetta and Witch Hunt (still scarily relevant, btw). Other highlights were a reggae version of Working Man, and the Polka version of Closer to the Heart. Yes, really - although the Polka version was played over the loudspeakers as we left. Just a fantastic show, and about 3 1/2 hours total with a 20 min intermission.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

While were at it, Juliette Lewis was fantastic. She brings a rare and dated rock and roll energy to her performance mixes it with her personal brand of insanity gives it to the audience, takes it back, and then gives back again for a great positive reinforcement feedback loop. Her band were awesome as well.

Square Circle Revue was merely OK but I had good company and it made the night worthwhile. It would have been nice to have caught The Creepshow that night instead but at least I got to talk and such which probably wouldn't have happened at The Creepshow.

SCR had a local band on Friday that we missed that everyone raved about and now has shot to the top of my "I must find out what these guys are about" list. They're called Black Jake and the Carnies and I guess they're a pretty psychotic blue grass band. Which is right up my alley. And when you add all of surprise rave reviews, I'm dying to see these guys.

http://www.myspace.com/blackjakeandthecarnies" target="_blank

I guess they're called crabgrass...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Jake_and_The_Carnies" target="_blank

They could be my next Flogging Molly. (We'll see after I finally get to see them live)

And speaking of Creepshow. I seem to be adding a lot burlesque to my summer shows. The reason, my sister likes burlesque shows, specifically ones centered around ultra modern art trends like fire acts and the resurgence of hula hooping. Never in all of my time on this planet would I have though a past time would be going to see burlesque with my sister.

The two favs seem to be Roxi Delite (from Ontario... Somewhere and has recently been named something like miss burlesque world) and Miss Pussykat (from Grand Rapids whom I guess made it pretty far in America's Got Talent last year)

This weekend I was going to do the shows at Bizarre Bizarre but it looks like I'll be hitting the bizarre on Sunday instead and missing the shows. This will be my first showless week since sometime in spring I think. I was trying to figure out if Crowned Heads of Rhythm were still doing weekly shows around here but I can't find them anywhere. :(
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dammit!!!! Shellac is playing the same night as Girl in a Coma. I already have my Girl in a Coma ticket who I really want to see again but I've wanted to experience a night of Steve Albini since long before Girl in a Coma were ever a band. Why do you do this to me? Why, why, why!!!!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

First you miss The Melvins, now you're gonna miss Shellac. You're just afraid of noise aren't you? :P

Next you're gonna tell us you're not gonna make it to GWAR at Harpo's...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote:First you miss The Melvins, now you're gonna miss Shellac. You're just afraid of noise aren't you? :P

Next you're gonna tell us you're not gonna make it to GWAR at Harpo's...
The list of shows I want to see and miss is very sad.

Having stood in front of speaker stack for Lords of Acid two weeks ago at Blondies, leaving my ears ringing for two days afterwards, I say no.

And speaking of noise Titus Andronicus (who was in Grand Rapids about a month ago) is going to be in Toledo on the 27th. I'm seeing if I can put that together.

Believe or not. I've never been to Harpo's... or seen Gwar. Green Jelly (Jello?) played here just a little while ago and I was trying to figure out how to see them but there just is now way. Current probablys, still paring things down (and some are missing and I've recently been hanging out with someone who might be adding to the list). Just not enough time and money and energy.

bizarre bizarre Sun 8/15/2010
los minstrels and haf life Sat 8/14/2010
Black Crowes Fri 8/20/2010
The Schlapentickle Burlesque and Revue at the Northern Lights Mon 8/23/2010
Fang Island with Cage the Elephant and STP Thu 8/26/2010
Titus Andronicus Fri 8/27/2010
The People's Arts Sat 8/28/2010
Art's Beats and Eats Fri 9/3/2010
Girl in a Coma Thu 9/9/2010
shellac Thu 9/9/2010
Black Jake Fri 9/10/2010
Dally in the Alley Sat 9/11/2010
matt and kim Sat 9/18/2010
the Toadies Sun 9/19/2010
holy fuck Sun 9/26/2010
Black Jake Wed 9/29/2010
The Eels Thu 9/30/2010
James Fri 10/1/2010
Primus Sun 10/3/2010
The Swans Mon 10/4/2010
The Legendary Pink Dots Sun 10/24/2010
Vaselines and dum dum girls Fri 10/29/2010
Freightened Rabbit and Plants and Animals Wed 11/3/2010
Reverend Payton Tue 11/23/2010
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

This Wednesday is Slayer and Megadeth. Really pumped and super excited for Megadeth!

Just found out this morning that Anthrax will be in Denver in Oct so i'm excited for that too.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
disarm

Post by disarm »

after having my tickets for months, i finally saw Megadeth, Slayer, and Testament on monday night...and they kicked ass. i'm not a huge fan of either Slayer or Testament, and they were definitely the low points of the show for me, but Megadeth sounded great and were absolutely awesome. the setlist that Megadeth put together was great...the entire 'Rust in Peace' album, followed by a very well chosen collection of fan favorites.

anyone else planning to see these bands is in for a great experience Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

disarm wrote:anyone else planning to see these bands is in for a great experience Image
Good to hear. I'm the opposite of you, in that I can't wait to see Slayer but am rather 'meh' on Megadeth. Swapping Anthrax for Testament is just an added bonus.

What were Slayer and Megadeth's set lists like? I've heard they're playing Seasons in the Abyss and Rust in Peace (respectively), but am wondering if they'll be throwing in some additional tunes.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Skinypupy wrote:What were Slayer and Megadeth's set lists like? I've heard they're playing Seasons in the Abyss and Rust in Peace (respectively), but am wondering if they'll be throwing in some additional tunes.
don't worry...both bands played a few of their more popular songs in addition to the full albums. Megadeth took a really quick break after finishing 'Rust in Peace,' then came back out to play a few more songs. i'll spoiler the exact setlists in case you want to be surprised...
Spoiler:
Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
Hangar 18
Take No Prisoners
Five Magics
Poison was the Cure
Lucretia
Tornado of Souls
Dawn Patrol
Rust in Peace...Polaris

Trust
Headcrusher (only song from the new album)
Tout le Monde
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells...
Slayer played last at the show i saw, and they also did about a half-dozen extra songs...
Spoiler:

World Painted Blood
Hate Worldwide

War Ensemble
Blood Red
Spirit in Black
Expendable Youth
Dead Skin Mask
Hallowed Point
Skeletons of Society
Temptation
Born of Fire
Seasons in the Abyss

South of Heaven
Raining Blood
Aggressive Perfector
Angel of Death
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

yep i am headed to that show this Wednesday. i'm also meh on Slayer and Testament, but freakin pumped for Megadeth. been reading alot of reviews on the shows thus far and everyone is saying Megadeth has been unreal. super excited to see them Wednesday.

i was also disappointed to see Anthrax joining the tour AFTER they comes to Denver. however, just read this morning that Anthrax is coming in early October to do a show here and i'm pumped!! getting tickets for that when they go on sale next week.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

saw the Slayer, Megadeth, Testament show on Wednesday and holy shit i'm still recovering.

first off, i was very excited for Megadeth, kinda meh for Testament, and so-so for Slayer.

so for our show in Denver, Testament and Megadeth both sounded pretty bad. i had chalked it up to the sound/acoustics of the arena, but Slayer f'n rocked it.

Slayer was just incredible. they hit every note and just blew me away. i went in sorta liking them and came away loving them. i've already put Seasons and a couple other albums back on my iPod. and if they come back to Denver, i'll be going.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hey, Z-Corn, I got some meet me halfway shows coming up. :D

I'm debating driving out to Bell's Brewery to see Black Jake and Carnies this Friday and I think Smoove has me talked in to driving to Lansing to see Roger Clyne in the Peacemakers on October 10th.

I don't even have my updated schedule but currently my outdated fall timing looks something like

Girl in a Coma Thu 9/9/2010
shellac Thu 9/9/2010 (I will be missing. Suckin)
Black Jake Fri 9/10/2010
Dally in the Alley Sat 9/11/2010
Goober Fri 9/17/2010 (low priority)
matt and kim Sat 9/18/2010 (low priority)
the Toadies Sun 9/19/2010 (low priority)
holy fuck Sun 9/26/2010
Black Jake Wed 9/29/2010
The Eels Thu 9/30/2010
James Fri 10/1/2010
Primus Sun 10/3/2010
The Swans Mon 10/4/2010 (low priority)
Roger Clyne Sun 10/10/2010
Blanche Fri 10/22/2010
The Legendary Pink Dots Sun 10/24/2010 (low priority)
Vaselines and dum dum girls Fri 10/29/2010 (low priority)
GWAR Sat 10/30/2010 (low priority)
Freightened Rabbit and Plants and Animals Wed 11/3/2010
Reverend Payton Tue 11/23/2010 (low priority)

There's just no time.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote:Hey, Z-Corn, I got some meet me halfway shows coming up. :D

I'm debating driving out to Bell's Brewery to see Black Jake and Carnies this Friday and I think Smoove has me talked in to driving to Lansing to see Roger Clyne in the Peacemakers on October 10th.

Funny you bring up Bell's. We're planning on going there tomorrow afternoon. It's their 25th Anniversary Party Weekend. The place will be crazy busy.

For the show you're interested in tonight I can't find a firm start time. It's an all-bluegrass day starting at 15:00 and going alllll night.

We hope to be there tomorrow in time to see the 30 piece German oompah band.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Black Jake are at 19:00 I think but if I don't find a wallet today and it's not mostly in tact if I do, it won't matter.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We caught Deal's Gone Bad from Chicago and Rollinghead from Kalamazoo last night at Bell's. Deal's Gone Bad are a ska band and I decided, like I do every time I watch a ska band, that I like the idea of a ska band more than I ever end up liking the band. They are always just so...earnest...

Rollinghead was cool, I'd never seen them before. They were pretty huge (locally) in the good ol' Grunge Days...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote:We caught Deal's Gone Bad from Chicago and Rollinghead from Kalamazoo last night at Bell's. Deal's Gone Bad are a ska band and I decided, like I do every time I watch a ska band, that I like the idea of a ska band more than I ever end up liking the band. They are always just so...earnest...

Rollinghead was cool, I'd never seen them before. They were pretty huge (locally) in the good ol' Grunge Days...
Everything went to pot with the loss (and eventual return) of my wallet. Losing about $200 changes a tight life pretty dramatically. I'm bummed. I missed out on Bell's on Friday and a friend's band last night.

I've liked most ska shows I've been to... Which has been like maybe three... There was a band in the last 80s called Gangster Fun that kind of got me in to the scene but not enough go out and see other bands. GF had the live show quality that I love so much, where they feed off the audience and then give that energy back. Oddly enough, the ska(core?) band I've enjoyed least was (Jack Kevorkian and) the Suicide Machines and I used to hang out with their singer on occasion. I've been trying to get out to see Streetlight Manifesto but I keep missing them... So I'm guessing they're not so important to me.

How was Bell's as a venue?