Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Xmann »

Giles Habibula wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Just got my tickets to see Ghost on Oct 8. :dance:

Enlarge Image
Dammit, where's your report, young man? I've been waiting for it. Please turn it in at my desk. Thank you. I'm assuming Xmann did not see them, as he's been happily reporting on everything but.
Unfortunately I did not. I had tickets to the Great American Beer Festival that same evening and couldn't make it.

Slayer was awesome though.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This Thursday night is the biennial visit from Roger Clyne to the greater NJ area and apparently it's part of the Fizzy Fuzzy Finale tour - celebrating 20 years of the first album.

Enlarge Image

I'm not sure if I'm going to survive hearing this entire album played top to bottom, but I'm going to give it a go. If something happens, I hope both Trent and RM9 will speak of me fondly and relate my final moments.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Giles Habibula wrote:

Enlarge Image
Dammit, where's your report, young man? I've been waiting for it. Please turn it in at my desk. Thank you. I'm assuming Xmann did not see them, as he's been happily reporting on everything but.
Sorry, spaced it. They were absolutely brilliant, even better than I was expecting. Papa started the show in the whole anti-Pope outfit, then stripped down to the tuxedo about midway through. The set was a good mix of new and old tunes, ran about 2 hours. They leaned a bit more toward infestissumam than I would have liked (would have much preferred more Meloria tunes), but that's a minor gripe. The Nameless Ghouls, whoever they are, are some seriously talented musicians. The entire set was incredibly tight, and Papa had the crowd absolutely eating out of his hand. My buddy, who came in without knowing anything about them, said he was fascinated watching Papa's mannerisms on stage. Every single move he makes is remarkably deliberate, graceful, and poised, and he never once breaks character, even for a moment. He did a couple of rather long monologues, which were hilarious. All in all, it was an amazing show...probably replacing Bad Religion in of my personal "Top 5 Concerts" list.

A couple interesting notes about the Ghouls:

1. The bass player was very obviously female.
2. Papa mentioned one of the band members was originally from Orem, Utah, a small town south of Salt Lake. He could have been making that up, but it was followed up by a couple comments/jokes that were really specific to Utah culture, things that outsiders probably wouldn't readily know. Could be that he just did his homework, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Ghouls was actually from around here.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Smoove_B wrote:This Thursday night is the biennial visit from Roger Clyne to the greater NJ area and apparently it's part of the Fizzy Fuzzy Finale tour - celebrating 20 years of the first album.

Enlarge Image

I'm not sure if I'm going to survive hearing this entire album played top to bottom, but I'm going to give it a go. If something happens, I hope both Trent and RM9 will speak of me fondly and relate my final moments.
Was at their show (back when they were The Refreshments) at the Fox Theater in Boulder, CO in the summer of '96. If they don't have the road manager play lead guitar on 867-5309/Jenny (yeah, Tommy Tutone) as the closing encore number, they're doing it wrong.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:
Giles Habibula wrote:

Enlarge Image
Sorry, spaced it. They were absolutely brilliant, even better than I was expecting. Papa started the show in the whole anti-Pope outfit, then stripped down to the tuxedo about midway through. The set was a good mix of new and old tunes, ran about 2 hours. They leaned a bit more toward infestissumam than I would have liked (would have much preferred more Meloria tunes), but that's a minor gripe. The Nameless Ghouls, whoever they are, are some seriously talented musicians. The entire set was incredibly tight, and Papa had the crowd absolutely eating out of his hand. My buddy, who came in without knowing anything about them, said he was fascinated watching Papa's mannerisms on stage. Every single move he makes is remarkably deliberate, graceful, and poised, and he never once breaks character, even for a moment. He did a couple of rather long monologues, which were hilarious. All in all, it was an amazing show...probably replacing Bad Religion in of my personal "Top 5 Concerts" list.

2. Papa mentioned one of the band members was originally from Orem, Utah, a small town south of Salt Lake. He could have been making that up, but it was followed up by a couple comments/jokes that were really specific to Utah culture, things that outsiders probably wouldn't readily know. Could be that he just did his homework, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Ghouls was actually from around here.
Isn't it suspected that the bassist is the former Rob Zombie bassist?

They are definitely on the top of my to see list.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Roger Waters is starting a new tour next year. Its a career spanning tour that will cover both his Pink Floyd days as well as his solo career. Tickets went on sale today for the citicard presale. After seeing the amazing Wall tour I just had to see this one as well, so I was on ticketmaster the second they went on sale. The site was crushed with traffic so it took me a few minutes to get into the ticket sales. Once I did, I immediately got a message saying there were no tickets available! I was not to happy but what can you do? Well, apparently the answer to that question is bitch. Later in the afternoon, I decided to contact ticketmaster and let them know my displeasure. They apologized for my difficulties and admitted that their site was overwhelmed and almost non functional ( Its seriously stupid to put the entire tour on sale all at the same time!) Anyway, after a bit of talk, they offered to set me up with tickets, in spite of the fact that the presale tickets were gone. I ended up with center stage seats in the 23rd row! Now I just have to wait until August 2nd for the show.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

rshetts2 wrote:Roger Waters is starting a new tour next year. Its a career spanning tour that will cover both his Pink Floyd days as well as his solo career. Tickets went on sale today for the citicard presale. After seeing the amazing Wall tour I just had to see this one as well, so I was on ticketmaster the second they went on sale. The site was crushed with traffic so it took me a few minutes to get into the ticket sales. Once I did, I immediately got a message saying there were no tickets available! I was not to happy but what can you do? Well, apparently the answer to that question is bitch. Later in the afternoon, I decided to contact ticketmaster and let them know my displeasure. They apologized for my difficulties and admitted that their site was overwhelmed and almost non functional ( Its seriously stupid to put the entire tour on sale all at the same time!) Anyway, after a bit of talk, they offered to set me up with tickets, in spite of the fact that the presale tickets were gone. I ended up with center stage seats in the 23rd row! Now I just have to wait until August 2nd for the show.
And that is why I refuse to buy from Ticketmaster

Sure, I'll miss some shows I'd like to see. But I refuse to pay their charges and deal with crap like that.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Skinypupy wrote:
Giles Habibula wrote:

Enlarge Image

Awesome! Thank you, Skinypupy. Excellent write-up.
I'm too new of a fan to know more than what's been available from casual searching, but I was under the impression that all the members were from Sweden. But there is so much conflicting information regarding this, and I'm hopelessly confused by now. And supposedly, Dave Grohl donned a Nameless Ghoul outfit and played live with them once, so I guess anything goes. And I must admit that all of this mystery is part of my attraction to the band.

And I watched the Hellfest 2016 set on Youtube, and I agree that Papa is absolutely mesmerizing with his graceful gestures and deadpan delivery. And that accent and voice! Seems like a combination of Dracula and the Pope. Could not take my eyes off him, and I looked forward to any time he would speak to the audience.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Xmann wrote: And that is why I refuse to buy from Ticketmaster

Sure, I'll miss some shows I'd like to see. But I refuse to pay their charges and deal with crap like that.
Usually any shows in Denver that I want to see are held at venues that don't use Ticketmaster anymore, they've all switched Altitude Tickets (formerly Tickethorse). Not that their fees are much better than Ticketmaster, but at least because they deal with a much lower volume, their site is unlikely to get overloaded as a popular event goes on sale.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

gilraen wrote:
Xmann wrote: And that is why I refuse to buy from Ticketmaster

Usually any shows in Denver that I want to see are held at venues that don't use Ticketmaster anymore, they've all switched Altitude Tickets (formerly Tickethorse). Not that their fees are much better than Ticketmaster, but at least because they deal with a much lower volume, their site is unlikely to get overloaded as a popular event goes on sale.
That's exactly what I do.

And I've missed a few shows over the years because I just won't deal with Ticketmaster.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jag wrote:A pic of the music festival I went to at the Coachella site. My first and last multi-day music fest. It was fun, but exhausting. I was in the grandstand to the left.

Enlarge Image
That's awesome. I had a chance to attend Coachella when I was much younger and I regret not going - now I'm far too old and cranky to spend 3 days sleeping in tents.
nasai

Post by nasai »

Saw Gojira last Tuesday, with support from Tesseract, and then had a chance to see the amazing Leprous on Thursday, with support from Earthside (Talk about EPIC!).

If anyone has a chance to see any of these incredible bands, go now. Unbelievable shows from all.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

nasai wrote:Saw Gojira last Tuesday, with support from Tesseract, and then had a chance to see the amazing Leprous on Thursday, with support from Earthside (Talk about EPIC!).

If anyone has a chance to see any of these incredible bands, go now. Unbelievable shows from all.
Gojira is on my must see list, for sure.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
nasai

Post by nasai »

Xmann wrote:
nasai wrote:Saw Gojira last Tuesday, with support from Tesseract, and then had a chance to see the amazing Leprous on Thursday, with support from Earthside (Talk about EPIC!).

Gojira is on my must see list, for sure.
Was my 3rd show with them and they just get better and better. An amazingly heavy band. Talk about skill.... and they just bring it. Such killer energy.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I skipped Gojira last week because I'll be seeing them on 70K. Everything I've heard about them live is positive though.
I'm too new of a fan to know more than what's been available from casual searching, but I was under the impression that all the members were from Sweden. But there is so much conflicting information regarding this, and I'm hopelessly confused by now. And supposedly, Dave Grohl donned a Nameless Ghoul outfit and played live with them once, so I guess anything goes. And I must admit that all of this mystery is part of my attraction to the band.
While it's pretty well established that Papa is Tobias Forge, I'm pretty sure the Ghouls are just a random and changing collection of musicians. Looks like the female bassist is Megan Thomas from Lez Zeppelin, at least for this tour.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Just saw Chvrches at Echostage in DC.

Holy crap, that a show that was.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Meal wrote:Was at their show (back when they were The Refreshments) at the Fox Theater in Boulder, CO in the summer of '96. If they don't have the road manager play lead guitar on 867-5309/Jenny (yeah, Tommy Tutone) as the closing encore number, they're doing it wrong.
I think I've seen them play three times now (always as the Peacemakers, never as the Refreshments) but they've never played a cover song during a show. From what I understand, they are mixing a few in now with this tour. All I know is that every time we go it's epic and I'm really getting too old for this nonsense....but they put on an awesome show every damn time. It makes me want to move local to the band and be closer to all their hometown events.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

April 5th tickets for Passenger.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

pr0ner wrote:Holy crap, that a show that was.
Is that good? :D I would love to go see them (as long as they were playing within a 2 hours drive)

Wife and I just blew off a The Head and the Heart show in Raleigh (tonight). Multiple reasons:
1. Lead singer is not on tour (and it's mostly his voice IMO that carries the band)
2. Monday freaking night concert with 3 kids in school? Who books that?! (me glares at wife)
3. 3+ hour drive means a hotel, or a really late night back.
4. I really like their first two albums, but the one they recently released (again, with lead singer/writer), sucks IMO. I imagine they will be playing a lot off that new album, and it's just very safe, standard songs like a million others...nothing that stands out like on first albums.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

I went to see Post Modern Jukebox this weekend in Birmingham. Great show if they are going to be in your town.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Yes, but was Puddles Pity Party with them?
I have but one advocate.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

sgoldj wrote:I went to see Post Modern Jukebox this weekend in Birmingham. Great show if they are going to be in your town.
We are going to see them here in November :)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

The Faint and Gang of Four tomorrow night
The Orb the night after that
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
pr0ner wrote:Holy crap, that a show that was.
Is that good? :D I would love to go see them (as long as they were playing within a 2 hours drive)
Yes. Very good. Outstanding, even.
Hodor.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

hitbyambulance wrote:The Faint and Gang of Four tomorrow night
Is the Faint any good anymore? I really liked their earlier stuff (esp. Dance Macabre) but not the stuff after until I stopped trying after Fasciinataion.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Dramatist wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:The Faint and Gang of Four tomorrow night
Is the Faint any good anymore? I really liked their earlier stuff (esp. Dance Macabre) but not the stuff after until I stopped trying after Fasciinataion.
yup. show was as good as i remember (i last saw them in 2002) and there is a new album to be released. so far, there's only been one new album since _Fasciinatiion_ - _Doom Abuse_, try that one out.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Just scored on tix to see Flaming Lips at the brand-new not-even-finished-yet 2,500 seat venue here in town.

Really excited for this show, we haven't seen them since The Soft Bulletin tour in like 1999.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I hear they put on some of the best shows of the modern era. I've always meant to experience them but it just never works out.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

They are playing Royal Oak Music Theater on 3-14-17...you can see them first and tell me how the show was. We're not seeing them until a month after that...
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Just wanted to mention a show I recently caught. Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman and Trevor Rabin are touring together as ARW right now. For those unfamiliar with these three artists, they are all former members of Yes. It appears that the current version of Yes pass down to Steve Howe after Chris Squire's passing so these guys can not tour under the Yes banner.

Jon Anderson is and always will be the voice of Yes and he hadnt toured with Yes in around 10 years due to a respiratory illness. Yes moved on without him but the sound is just not the same without Jon. Anyway I was looking forward to hearing those classic Yes songs with Jons voice once again and they did not disappoint. Jons voice was incredible. Most singers his age have lost a lot of range but Jon sounded like he was still in his 30's. Rick Wakeman was his usual self, an absolute wizard on the keyboards. I got to see them at the casino arena in New Buffalo, Michigan. It was a nice but small venue and the sound was excellent. If you enjoy the music of Yes, you should catch these guys. Its Yes music as it's meant to sound. For those of you familiar with the deeper works from Yes, they do a 15 minute version of Awaken that is absolutely incredible. Its a show definitely worth seeing.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just got tix for Fleshgod Apocalypse, Arkona, and The Agonist on Monday night. :horse:

FGA is fantastic, can't wait to see them again.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Just announced special show at Red Rocks!! I just scored a pair for me and whoever else will want to go for Cyber Monday special $30!!

This will be #1 on my must see. Holy freaking cow I can't believe it. We were at Red Rocks this weekend exercising and I was telling my wife there needs to be a great concert next year to see there.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LOL, I was just coming here to post that. I might have to make the trip for that one.

Even though I lived half my life in Colorado, I've never seen a show at Red Rocks. :oops:
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:LOL, I was just coming here to post that. I might have to make the trip for that one.

Even though I lived half my life in Colorado, I've never seen a show at Red Rocks. :oops:
Me as well. This will be my first.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
tgb

Post by tgb »

tlr, good little Deadhead that she is, wants to see Dead & Co. in Phoenix in May.

General admission lawn seats are $150. Reserved seats run $300-$1300 :shock: I told her if she wants to go with her Deadhead friends I'd pay for her ticket, but I have no interest in seeing them for that kind of money.

For a minimum of $150 for a ticket, they better drag out Zombie Jerry Garcia before they get more of mu money.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Congress Not a Fan of Concert Bots
Congress sent legislation to President Barack Obama that could make it easier to get tickets to popular shows, sports events and concerts.

Legislation passed by voice vote in the House on Wednesday would crack down on computer software used by some ticket brokers to snap up tickets. The so-called "bots" rapidly purchase as many tickets as possible for resale at significant markups, and are one of the reasons why tickets to a Bruce Springsteen concert or "Hamilton" performance can sell out in just a few minutes.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Distant Worlds: Final Fantasy (a symphony playing FF music while the game cutscenes play in the background) is coming to Salt Lake in June. :wub: :wub:

I saw it in Seattle about 5 years ago, and it was absolutely incredible. Can't wait to see it again.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Guns and roses in August. Getting my mullet started.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So as an Xmas gift for my wife, I suggested taking her to go see The Magic Flute, which is being heavily advertised on TV at the moment. She ignored the ads. She ignored me when I pointed out people singing music from it (there was a You Tube video of a Filipino girl singing an aria on Voice Kids Germany, for example). Tickets for the "opera lover's section" (2nd balcony) started at $130 each. Of the remaining shows, only one had pairs of seats together anywhere on this level.

Her ambivalence caused me to go with plan B. She's been complaining about being cold all of the time, so I ordered her a bunch of cashmere stuff. Then we saw another video from The Magic Flute is it finally clicked. She thought it was so cool and wants to go. Too late now. :(

I think I have it on DVD somewhere. It'll save us the trouble of finding parking or putting pants on.
Black Lives Matter
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Holy freaking cow!!!

As if Opeth and Gojira isn't good enough...Devin Townsend will be the opening act as well!!!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs