concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:
Xmann wrote:Ghost last night, wow!!!
I'm jealous...that would have been an awesome show. I really want to see Khemmis as well.

I'm so glad we have some good, small venues here in Denver that get good acts.

My wife was a good sport and went with me last night and she had a blast. Got there early and was center stage against the rail.

I know someone that saw Ghost open for Maiden night before last in SLC and said it was disappointing. 90+ degree heat in an outside venue during the afternoon probably is a bad setting for a theatrical band such as Ghost.

I can't recommend seeing them in a proper setting enough
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Xmann wrote:I know someone that saw Ghost open for Maiden night before last in SLC and said it was disappointing. 90+ degree heat in an outside venue during the afternoon probably is a bad setting for a theatrical band such as Ghost.
I decided against going for that exact reason. Seeing them as the headliner versus seeing them as a supporting act would be a massive difference. It was nasty hot here yesterday, and the venue isn't all that great, especially for GA.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My wife and I just got back from Madison after seeing a favorite band of ours, Free Hot Lunch. Three (sometimes 5) piece close harmony band that plays what they call "Wa-ha" music. They skirt the edges of many different genres...jazz, bluegrass, buffet-style themes...but all very fun. They played the folk bar circuit from the early 80's to 94, when they broke up, but they get back together every 4-5 years or so for a reunion show. It's such a great time. It always amazes me that these guys can be separated by thousands of miles and get back together for one week and put on a pretty damn tight show.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

4th and last night of festival was pretty epic with Andy Shauf and Whitehorse concluding the day.

Yesterday aka 3rd day was a bit of a mixed bag and I didn't like the headliner for that night, but that's more me as it was electronic which I didn't care for.

Overall though, so many new musical discoveries at this year's festival. Barry Miles & The Congregation (Murder Murder's sidegig), The Jerry Cans, Andy Shauf, Jonathan Byrd and the Pickup Cowboys. All great stuff.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Brian

Post by Brian »

Saw Ghost and Iron Maiden last night. I had never really listened to Ghost before so last nights show was an introduction for me. I enjoyed it but whoever was working the sound board really needed to bump the vocals since you could barely make them out. Other than that, I enjoyed it and might look into adding some of their music to my current library.

Maiden was, of course, Maiden and played to their usual high standard. It was my wife's first time seeing them and she really enjoyed it though it was somewhat marred by the people in the row in front of her that stood during the entire show. Seriously people, I bought SEATS for a reason. If you're going to stand for the entire show anyway, buy fucking GA tickets.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

I saw Tool a few weeks ago, for the third time. I still enjoyed it, but I wish they would make some new music. They haven't made an album since before the first time I saw them, 9 or 10 years ago.

Crystal Method opened. Crystal Method is really just one guy. I like CM, but I guess I'm too old to appreciate a DJ concert. Or something. Maybe when he headlines it's a better show. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but you can hardly see him behind all his gear. Might as well just put a recording on.

In a few more weeks, I am going to Gojira, Pallbearer and Oni at Disneyland. Ok fine, not at Disneyland, at the House of Blues across the street. I'm going for Pallbearer who I've loved for several years, but Gojira is the headliner and their latest album is also pretty great. I am looking forward to them almost as much. Oni I've listened to once right after I bought this ticket. They'll probably be a good opener, but it wasn't anything special.
Twitter: joerumz
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ministry just announced a fall tour with Death Grips, will be in SLC on 10/30.

Are they still any good now that Uncle Al isn't high as a kite all the time?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote:Ministry just announced a fall tour with Death Grips, will be in SLC on 10/30.

They were small time, and I mean really small time when I saw them on their last tour, which was supposed to be their last tour maybe five or six years ago. They played a dive bar to probably less than 100 people. But Al's current company were still really good. They were nearly the same band as they were when toured as RevCo a couple years before that and RevCo were fantastic.

Minsitry's last show here will probably have been their last show here. I can't imagine they made any money at all much less the kind of money they were accustomed to back in the 80s/90s.

I took Friday off so I can be rested enough to see Lord Huron!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote:Ministry just announced a fall tour with Death Grips, will be in SLC on 10/30.

saw them on the 'farewell' tour and they were a technically competent thrash metal outfit. i think they had Tommy Victor of Prong on guitar. truthfully, i enjoyed Meshuggah (the second opener) more, but that's because they're nigh-untouchable - this was when _Obzen_ had just come out. i'd maybe go just for Death Grips.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote:

saw them on the 'farewell' tour and they were a technically competent thrash metal outfit. i think they had Tommy Victor of Prong on guitar. truthfully, i enjoyed Meshuggah (the second opener) more, but that's because they're nigh-untouchable - this was when _Obzen_ had just come out. i'd maybe go just for Death Grips.
I don't know anything about Death Grips, as 99.9% of rap is lost on me entirely.

I've been a big Ministry fan for 30 years now and never seen them. Trying to decide if this'd be worth it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I couldn't find the Ministry tour you are referring to, so I can't tell the price but Lords of Acid put on a fantastic show and had many of the same players a few years back. Looks like they are in SLC on 10/04

http://www.songkick.com/artists/43214-lords-of-acid

If Ministry is cheap ($20 or $25), go and leave if you don't like them. More'n that, not sure. Maybe look for concert footage.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

They just announced it this morning. $35...right on that tipping point for me.

I've never been much of a LoA fan, they've always just seemed really silly to me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

10/23 – Detroit, MI @ Royal Oak Music Theatre
ROMT likely means a bigger production, tighter musicianship with whoever Al call Ministry this time, though not as much fun/personality and a $35+ cover before fees with $9 beers.

Not for me. I'd probably pay as much as $30 to see Ministry again but not concurrent with the venue beer tax and promoter fees. I can only assume your venue is equitable.

But that's me. I've seen Ministry in many different incarnations over the years, good and bad. All said, five times by my recollection plus the night I missed with a ticket when I got snowed in, which would have been the first time. If I'd never seen them, I might have a different opinion (also, if I hadn't seen them the last time they played, I might have a different opinion)
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Xmann wrote:Ghost last night, wow!!!
I cannot even express how upset I was when I stumbled upon a Youtube video of Ghost in Fargo from June 17. Now, I've been dying to see them for a couple of years, but they never came anywhere near North Dakota.

When their tour with Iron Maiden was set to begin, I think I checked for the tour dates on Ghost's Facebook page, but couldn't find the list. So I checked Maiden's page, and all of their dates and locations with Ghost were clearly listed, and the closest they would get IIRC was Chicago. So I forgot about it.

Suddenly, there's this Youtube video of a great performance at the relatively small Fargo Civic Center, where they appeared without Maiden. PLENTY of empty seats. It would have been ideal for us, as we love the small venues, and Fargo is an easy three hour drive.

I was like that cat gif: "No, no no no no!"
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

yeah, Ghost performing in a small venue as a headliner is near perfect.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Booked for 70,000 Tons of Metal 2018 this afternoon. :horse:

This one will kinda hinge on dad's cancer treatments, but I can always sell my ticket if the worst happens.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

the lineup thus far is incredible and I'm slightly tempted. but since my last cruise was a disaster, I'm not stepping on another ship anytime soon.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Not as lofty or well known as others, and my first concert since Post Modern Jukebox:

Puddle's Pity Party will be here on July 29, and I intend to catch that one. To be fair, I was watching Puddles on You Tube before he ever appeared on America's Got Talent and his was the first version of Royals I had heard.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Same here. Cool.
I have but one advocate.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this isn't coming to the west coast, unfortunately:

Retro Futura Tour 2017
Howard Jones
The (English) Beat
Men Without Hats
Modern English
Paul Young (or Annabella Lwin of Bow Wow Wow, depending on the date)
Katrina (she of Katrina & The Waves)
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'm excited to see Offa Rex Sunday night at a small theater.

Who the hell is Offa Rex, you ask?

It's The Decemberists + an english folk singer! They have an album out which is quite good and they'll be doing some Decemberists stuff too. I have only seen The Decemberists in large, outdoor venues (although I've seen them act as the backing band at a benefit show at this same venue) so it will be awesome to see them in a smaller venue.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote:this isn't coming to the west coast, unfortunately:

Retro Futura Tour 2017
Howard Jones
The (English) Beat
Men Without Hats
Modern English
Paul Young (or Annabella Lwin of Bow Wow Wow, depending on the date)
Katrina (she of Katrina & The Waves)
I want to go just to see Men Without Hats. They've always been my ultimate guilty pleasure band.

Interesting that it says there's a Salt Lake show on Sunday, but that the venue is still TBD and there's no link to buy tickets. I'm guessing that's not happening.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I wouldn't mind seeing the English Beat again.

And mentioning Men Without Hats reminded me of one of the best literal videos
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Going to see Matchbox Twenty/Counting Crows on Sunday.

Was never a huge Matchbox Twenty fan but I knew all their big hits.

Counting Crows, on the other hand, was one of my absolute favorites in college. A friend of mine and I used to drive around for hours listening to August and Everything After. I kept up with them until about 10 years ago.

The best part? Tickets were free. Got them via vouchers from that LiveNation lawsuit. So should be a fun night of my brother and I drinking beer and reminiscing about the "good old days." :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote:The best part? Tickets were free. Got them via vouchers from that LiveNation lawsuit. So should be a fun night of my brother and I drinking beer and reminiscing about the "good old days." :D
You can still get those? I need to check that out. I had like 10 vouchers. I used two for a show I never saw.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Did I mention The Supersuckers? I don't think I mentioned seeing The Supersuckers a week-and-a-half ago.

It was at a little rockabilly bar on the West side of GR, 110 person capacity. They were great as always, playing as a three-piece now. They are doing lots of old songs on this tour, some of the songs I haven't heard them play in 20+ years.

We've been seeing them since 1992 and this was somewhere between the 26th and 28th time doing so.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Behemoth/Lamb of God is tomorrow night. Part of me thinks a good mosh pit would be remarkably cathartic with everything else going on, but the other part of me knows the asshole/meathead crowd will be out in full force because Lamb of God is a "big name" band.

Maybe I'll just bail after Behemoth...we'll see.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I was going to go see the Grant Park Symphony and Chorus do Beethoven's 9th on Saturday, but then I found out the Air Show is going on this weekend (massively horrible traffic at the lakefront) and the local classical station is broadcasting the concert tomorrow (Friday). So plans are to listen to the concert on radio while dining on the patio, then Saturday inviting friends over for BBQ ribs instead.
Black Lives Matter
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Got Drive-By Truckers for next month. I figured since I just saw Steve Earle, I might as well keep up a short run of ironically liberal Southern rock.
I have but one advocate.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

LordMortis wrote:You can still get those? I need to check that out. I had like 10 vouchers. I used two for a show I never saw.
I missed out on the first batch because they were all claimed, and got put on some mailing list for if/when they released a new batch. That was close to a year ago probably.

Then one day out of the blue I got a new email saying "Hey here's your vouchers." :eusa-think:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Behemoth just crushed it tonight, even without Inferno on drums. Watching him on stage, it's hard to believe Nergal was damn near dead a few years back from leukemia. They are absolutely brutal live.

Lamb of God puts on a pretty good show, but it didn't do much to change my opinion that they're stupid frat boy metal. I'm going to need an entire bottle of Advil and about 7 ice packs. It was one of those "survival pits" where unless you're standing way in the back or off to the side, you're just going to get crushed no matter what. Was kinda fun for about 3 songs, but I had to tap out after that.

I was also shocked at how many kids were there. Counted at least a dozen that looked to be my daughters age ( 8) or younger. I mean, I'd love to take Little B to a show sometime, but it certainly wouldn't have been that one.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:Behemoth just crushed it tonight, even without Inferno on drums. Watching him on stage, it's hard to believe Nergal was damn near dead a few years back from leukemia. They are absolutely brutal live.

Lamb of God puts on a pretty good show, but it didn't do much to change my opinion that they're stupid frat boy metal. I'm going to need an entire bottle of Advil and about 7 ice packs. It was one of those "survival pits" where unless you're standing way in the back or off to the side, you're just going to get crushed no matter what. Was kinda fun for about 3 songs, but I had to tap out after that.

I was also shocked at how many kids were there. Counted at least a dozen that looked to be my daughters age ( 8) or younger. I mean, I'd love to take Little B to a show sometime, but it certainly wouldn't have been that one.
Behemoth is on my short list of must see bands. I didn't see them on this tour because I want to see them headlining.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

So in an unexpected twist (for me), Matchbox Twenty blew Counting Crows away Sunday night. I was fairly underwhelmed with CC's set. Adam Duritz seemed a little out of it all night and really didn't have any energy until he hit Mr. Jones and Hangin' Around at the end of the set.

Then Matchbox Twenty came out and proceeded to light it up with hit after hit. Rob Thomas was pumped up and never slowed down with a really tight and professional set. Really a night and day difference in energy levels.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Saw Spoon and Beck at the Project Pabst festival in Portland last night. Both were over the top good!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Forgot to mention that Trent Steel and I ended up going to the Warped Tour last month (his daughter invited my daughter and us dad's got to tag along fo' free). For me the draw was I Prevail (their cover of Blank Space is one of my favorite covers of all-time), but the surprise hits for me for the day were Beartooth and New Years Day.

Beartooth was a little more predictable for me to like, but my daughter really enjoyed New Years Day because they have a chick singer, and that made me more amenable.

Her liking something did not translate to me liking Andy Black however. :)

Next Thursday will be my fourth time seeing Roger Waters (and most likely last). Should be big fun.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Someone I forgot mentioning that the Warped Tour day was capped off with seeing GWAR, which was pretty cool. Trent got mega-sprayed with fake blood which seems to have been a bucket list item for him. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Saw GNR last night. First concert at the new stadium in town. Wow. What a show they put on. 3+ hours, no breaks, not a hit left off. Axl Rose was in fine form. How he's kept his voice for so long is beyond me. Sure he and Slash have a bit of a pot belly but that didn't stop them at all from going strong all freaking night. Duff and Dizzy and the gang kept the momentum going all night. Just so happy I was able to go.

Set list:
"It's So Easy"
"Mr. Brownstone"
"Chinese Democracy"
"Welcome to the Jungle"
"Double Talkin' Jive"
"Better"
"Estranged"
"Live and Let Die" (Wings cover)
"Rocket Queen"
"You Could Be Mine"
"You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory" intro (Johnny Thunders cover) / "New Rose" (The Damned cover)
"This I Love"
"Civil War"
"Yesterdays"
"Coma"
"Speak Softly, Love" (Love Theme from The Godfather, Slash guitar solo)
"Sweet Child o' Mine"
"Used To Love Her"
"My Michelle"
"Wish You Were Here" (Pink Floyd cover, Slash & Fortus guitar duet)
"Layla" (coda) (Derek and the Dominos cover, instrumental with Axl on piano)
"November Rain"
"Black Hole Sun" (Soundgarden cover)
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (Bob Dylan cover)
"Nightrain"
"Don't Cry"
"The Seeker" (The Who cover)
"Patience"
"Whole Lotta Rosie" (AC/DC cover)
"Paradise City"
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Damn, that's a really good set.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah. Nothing left off. Axl is 55. Still can't believe the energy they brought. Was just really fun. First time I've been to a concert and regretted not getting better seats, price be damned.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mid Oct to mid-Nov is going to be nuts this year. Just bought tickets for me and a friend to see:

- KMFDM/Ohgr (Oct 24)
- Ministry/Death Grips (Oct 30) - Figure this is probably my last chance to catch Uncle Al
- Ne Obliviscaris/Allegaeon (Nov 4)
- Arch Enemy/Trivium (Nov 18)

And now I'm broke...but still debating whether I want to try and squeeze in the Chelsea Wolfe/Youth Code show on 10/28.