concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

helot2000

Re: Summer concerts....who you seeing?

Post by helot2000 »

I have tickets to see Keane at First Avenue. Even though their latest work is a bit off, I'm looking forward to seeing them live. I managed to convince some friends to come along. I hope they don't regret it.

I had no idea the Trashcan Sinatras were back and unfortunately, they aren't swinging by the Twin Cities. Flogging Molly makes an appearance at the St. Paul Irish Fair every other year. 2010 is their "on" year so I'm waiting for the announcement that they'll be headlining again. Fingers crossed.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote:
Crabbs wrote:U2 in East Lansing was our only outing on tap for the summer, but it's been postponed due to Bono's back surgery. No new date set.
You should go check out Miss Pussykatt. She rarely makes it to the east side of the state. :ninja:

http://www.myspace.com/misspussykatt" target="_blank

Z Corn in 5... 4... 3... 2...
INT. SMALL BASEMENT APARTMENT IN MILWAUKEE

LENNY and SQUIGGY barge through the door unannounced but acting as if they were summoned

LENNY and SQUIGGY, together:
Hello!

I've never seen or met Miss Pussykatt but I've heard she puts on a good show. She's really cute too!

She's friends with my dipshit bro-in-law and my cool bro-in-law did one of her tatts. I might think about that show here in GR on the 12th 'cause I've become a totally fag for tiki culture but we're gonna be in San Francisco for a wedding that night. I'm looking for shows in San Fran though!

Oh, and dude, seriously, you've gotta see The Melvins if you haven't yet. And you've gotta stand close to the stage and you've gotta let them hurt your ears. They are The Best.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Smoove_B wrote:EDIT: OMG Huey Lewis and the news is coming in July. Head explodes!

I'd probably go. Huey was the FIRST show I ever saw, it was 8th grade ca. 1983. It was the event that started me on the path of live shows I'm still travellin'...
tgb

Post by tgb »

Nobody. The English Beat were here a couple of weeks ago, and Robert Randolph and Tony Bennett are here this week (not together, although that would be awesome), but tlr won't go to a mid-week concert unless she can take the next day off, and her company isn't going for it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Brian

Post by Brian »

disarm wrote:i'd like to hit quite a few shows, but the only one i have tickets for so far is Megadeth/Slayer/Testament...should kick total ass Image
Xmann wrote:Pretty sure i'm gonna buy tickets for Slayer, Megadeth, Testament this Friday.

I watched the Slayer goes to Church video on YouTube last night and had another good laugh.
dude...just buy the tickets. you know it's gonna be awesome :twisted:
The closest this show comes to Omaha is down in Kansas City. While I'd love to go it's scheduled during the time we are planning to go to Vegas. Dagnabbit.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Just bought my Slayer, Megadeth, Testament ticket! Best of all, i went to the Arena and saved myself the Ticketmaster charges!

I didn't have the balls to get General Admission and get my nose broken or teeth kicked in. However, i was able to get pretty awesome seats since i only needed 1 seat. I'm in the lower level about 50 yards from the stage!

Funny thing is that when i mentioned i was gonna buy a ticket this morning, my 7 year old was disappointed i wasn't getting him a ticket as well.

But i promised him that if he likes Iron Maiden in 10 days that i'll take him to see Alice in Chains and Mastadon at Red Rocks in October.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
tgb

Post by tgb »

I just found out Elton John will be at the Tucson Convention Center next month. I'm going to cal in some favors when I'm there for my show next week and see what they will do for me.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Live Nation has announce a No Service Fee Summer...

http://promo-img.livenation.com/lnus/no ... ste-txtlnk" target="_blank

Well no Service Fees if you happen to get a limited number of tickets to select ampitheatres owned by live nation and you don't count all of the other non service fee service fees.

Oddly enough, if they build the service fees in to the price of the ticket it doesn't offend me nearly as much... The cost of seeing a show may offend the hell out of me but not seeing the fees associated with brokering a ticket to me will have a calming effect.

There are no Michigan Venues listed, which is odd because I thought Live Nation were sleeping with Palace Entertainment among other venues.

On a better note for me, the Majestic just made some sort of negotiation where they now pay no service fees for box office direct sales. Being my favorite venue (sans beer prices), that just cost $5-$15 off every ticket I drive downtown to pick up. Go Majestic!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

so far:

# Jun 24 - Concrete Blonde - Showbox at The Market, Seattle
# Jul 10 - Project Pitchfork - El Corazón, Seattle
# Aug 23 - Boris - Neumos, Seattle
# Sep 8 - Ted Leo and The Pharmacists - The Vera Project, Seattle
# Sep 14 - Mumiy Troll - Neumos, Seattle

going to miss the Melvins since i'll be out of town.
and i just found out Killing Joke is playing here in December.... need to get tickets noooow
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Well i'm pretty disappointed with the setlist for Iron Maiden next week. I realise they have tons of songs and they can't play them all. But.....No Trooper, Aces High, or Run to the Hills?

Shit, most of the first 10 songs i've never even heard!

01.The Wicker Man
02.The Ghost of the Navigator
03.Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
04.El Dorado
05.Paschendale
06.The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
07.These Colours Don't Run
08.Blood Brothers
09.Wildest Dreams
10.No More lies
11.Brave New World
12.Fear of the Dark
13.Iron Maiden

Encore:
14.Number of the Beast
15.Hallowed Be Thy Name
16.Running Free

My son is happy they are playing Hallowed Be Thy Name and Fear of the Dark. I'm super disappointed Run to the Hills, The Trooper, and Aces High won't be played.

I guess if i really don't know what setlist a band will be playing, i just won't be shelling out $70+ for a ticket.

Hell, Slayer and Megadeth have announced their setlist for August and i knew what they were playing before i bought my ticket. Had i known this was Maiden's setlist, i wouldn't be attending. Really disspointing. :(
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

She Wants Revenge and the Psych Furs tonight is confirmed.
The Like and the Future Heads tomorrow night is confirmed.
Goober and the Peas in July is confirmed.

Am currently watching face book for Majestic Theatre ticket give aways. I could have a bunch more confirms added today. :D I'm actually hoping for free Concrete Blonde Tickets. I have no urge to pay real money to see them preform Bloodletting after twenty years. But I'd definitely see them do it for free.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not really seeing anyone this year as far as I know, but I did see A Prairie Home Companion on my trip to D.C, and that was a lot of fun.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Cinematic Titanic last night. having watched Mystery Science Theater 3000 since the very first show on KITN-23 (old UHF channel in MN), i felt compelled to see what the live experience was like, at least once. the movie used was "Samson and the Seven Miracles", which wasn't "Manos and the Hands of Fate" bad, but pretty awful all the same. humor level of Joel and crew was about on the level of a decent episode of MST3K. given that this is Seattle, the audience was mighty insular and ticket prices were on the high side, but i'm glad i checked it out.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Ive seen the Eagles already, plan on seeing The Clapton / Roger Daltry show at pine knob ( no its not DTE, not ever! ) and while its not a summer show, Im gonna see Roger Waters Wall tour in the fall. There are a ton of great shows in Michigan this summer but ticket price limit my options so thats it for now. ( I still may go see Sting tho )
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Future Heads were the most rock and roll show I've seen since the Cramps. I highly recommend them. Sadly their CD doesn't hold up to their live show. And it sure didn't hurt that the keyboardist and the bassist from the Like were dancing next to me all night long. :wub: And they were pretty durned good as well. Not a lot of bands get me up dancing but the Future Heads definitely did.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Not sure if we're going to make it to see Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers tonight. We have lawn tickets, it's been raining off and on all day so the park will be soaked, and there's a 60% chance for more storms tonight. We're going to get ready to go, but the crokinole board is definitely staying home.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Actually braved the cold and possible storms to see the Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers show last night, and boy am I glad that I did. It was such a fun concert. Basically Steve doing stand-up between numbers, and lots of really good bluegrass filling the rest of the evening. I knew Steve was a good banjo player, but it wasn't until I was there hearing it in person that it really sank it. We had to leave before the show was over, because it was way past my youngest's bedtime, so I probably missed him doing King Tut, but that would have just been a nostalgic throwback to my childhood, so no big deal. I left completely satisfied and laughed out. And wanting to learn to play banjo.

Hmm. Old Town School of Folk Music. Introduction to Banjo, 8 week course, $160...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Tommy20

Post by Tommy20 »

This isn't the first time you've expressed interest in learning the banjo. Should I be concerned?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Iron Maiden tonight! Although the setlist is very disappointing, my son is very excited and so am i.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Exodor wrote:And this fall my big ticket item is Roger Waters. My brother snagged 19th row seats. We won't talk about how much we spent on them. :oops:
For $750 each, Trent Steel and I were going to be close enough to pick Roger's nose hairs. 5th row center stage at the Garden. But we went for the much more economical $150 almost nose-bleeds.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

saw Iron Maiden last.....WOW!

i was disappointed with the setlist that i posted earlier, but i gotta tell ya....Maiden is 2nd to none live!

i've been to alot of metal shows and last night truely ranks up there with the best i've seen. what a fabulous live performing band.

my wife and I was a bit nervous when we got to our seats to find out we were about 50 yards from the stage. we figured the sound was gonna be too much for our 7 year old and he wouldn't enjoy it. however, he had a better time than either of us. i was a proud daddy watching him throw up the horns and belt out Number of the Beast and Fear of the Dark.

before we could get out of the venue he was begging for me to take him to see Alice in Chains at Red Rocks in October!

funny moment from last night....

my son: "Dad, what's that funny smelling cigarette that guy is smoking behind us".

me: "Son, ask your mom".

just an awesome time last night!!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Xmann wrote:my son: "Dad, what's that funny smelling cigarette that guy is smoking behind us".
I never understood why people think that smell is funny. I absolutely love that smell, which actually sucks because I am generally not a fan of the effects of those particular cigarettes on me.

I still can't picture paying $150 for nosebleeds. If I could afford to throw that kind of money to sit out in the stratosphere then I could afford to pay for the good seats. I'm not sure how much money I'd have be pulling down to feel like I could afford a $750 seat for a night of Roger Waters in an large venue.

I'm seeing myself ducking out of Blues Traveler this weekend and that is sad. I don't see anyone else wanting to go and it doesn't feel like the environment where seeing a show alone would be fun and that especially sucks because it's a free show.

OTOH, Friday looks like a two show night. Mucca Pazza, as part of Ann Arbor's Summer Fest should be done early, so we're gonna head east side afterwards to see Downtown Brown.

I'm face with a dilemma next weekend. Ezra Furman and the Harpoons are playing on the same night as Question Mark and they Mysterions and The Ruiners. That later show will probably be more fun on an objective basis but who knows when Ezra Furman will come back to Detroit.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LordMortis wrote:I still can't picture paying $150 for nosebleeds. If I could afford to throw that kind of money to sit out in the stratosphere then I could afford to pay for the good seats. I'm not sure how much money I'd have be pulling down to feel like I could afford a $750 seat for a night of Roger Waters in an large venue.
I'm assuming that this might be the last (and only) time that I will have a chance to see Roger Waters or David Gilmour perform The Wall in its entirety, live. I can scrounge up $150 to get in the building to watch that. $750 was just too much, although both of us hovered over the "Buy Tickets" button.

I wouldn't pay this amount to see anything else, short of them letting me onstage to jam with the band. It's Roger Waters. It's The Wall. One has to make sacrifices for that. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

LordMortis wrote:I still can't picture paying $150 for nosebleeds. If I could afford to throw that kind of money to sit out in the stratosphere then I could afford to pay for the good seats.
:?

$600 is a large enough amount to influence my decision on something. And we aren't exactly last row in the highest section. We're middle section in the 300 level. NOTE: In The Garden there is floor/lower level, 100s, 200s, 300s & 400s.
18-1™ & 2-0
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm picking up what you're laying down. I just can't do it. And I'm just trying to picture how much wealth I would have to accumulate before I wouldn't be offended at the pricing. The experience just isn't there for me. Maybe if it were part of a bigger overall experience. Like I was on vacation in Vegas or Red Rocks or lord knows where. As it goes, it just seems like Waters is becoming a modern Striesand, as are many of your 70s and 80s artists surviving on a strong sense of nostalgia. It's his prerogative. And I've bitten into the experience in the past. To some extent I'll do it in the future. I'm still happy to pay $70 a pop to see Jane's Addiction perform their 22 year old swan song, though that's about as far as I go. I'm sad to say I couldn't warrant $150 for Simon and Garfunkel, $120 for Tom Waits, or $200 for Leonard Cohen either. I did go as high at $160 for 3rd row Tom Petty seats a few years ago. But now that I've been there and done that, it won't be happening again either.

As to level 300 seats, I don't do that sort of thing anymore. I love the small venue environment so much that seeing a show from from a crowded auditorium seat bolted to the floor from 150 yards just doesn't do it for me. Now it could do it for me, maybe for forty or fifty bucks.

What the market will bear, I guess.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

well i think he called it "funny smelling" because it was something he had never smelt before.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tommy20 wrote:This isn't the first time you've expressed interest in learning the banjo. Should I be concerned?
Nope. Nothing to be concerned about. I signed up for them Sunday night. :)
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Flaming Lips
Belle & Sebastian
The Wedding Present

Shaping up to be a damn fine summer of shows.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

rrmorton wrote:The Wedding Present
I saw about fifteen minutes of them performing Bizarro (I guess) this spring in an attic bar to about thirty people. I tried but I just couldn't hang. OTOH the band that opened from them, Girl in a Coma, also played to that same thirty people and they were absolutely fantastic. I left a huge fan.

It is a damned fine summer and it just keeps getting better. Every week they announce another one to two bands I want to see. I have to start making decisions on what I want to see more. Quality.
Sunderer

Post by Sunderer »

Saw Goo Goo Dolls in Shreveport/Bossier Saturday night
Saw Shinedown in Shreveport/Bossier a couple of months ago with Gizah.

Haven't posted on here in years.

oh yeah.... I filed for divorce today. (Hence, my new beginning with OO) !!!!!
"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Welcome back. May your transition go as smoothly as possible.
Sunderer

Post by Sunderer »

LordMortis wrote:Welcome back. May your transition go as smoothly as possible.
The transition is going very smoothly. As a Sunderer, I know better (and my kids have the BEST mom EVARR!)

I just hope when I get done, there will still be a nice bumper crop of 24-year-olds around.

Of course, Gizah keeps telling me "The great thing about 24-year-olds, there's a new crop EVERY year." :wink:
"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sunderer wrote:oh yeah.... I filed for divorce today. (Hence, my new beginning with OO) !!!!!
There's a story in there if those things are related...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
WPD

Post by WPD »

$10 tickets = I'm going to see Sleigh Bells @ The Ottobar in Baltimore on July 1st.
Later ya'll.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Sunderer wrote:oh yeah.... I filed for divorce today. (Hence, my new beginning with OO) !!!!!
He (used to?) help others divvy things up when they went through their own irreconcilable rough patches (to the betterment of one party, if he was doing his job).
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

If September 11 counts, I'll be seeing Kamelot with Leaves Eyes and Blackguard then.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
He (used to?) help others divvy things up when they went through their own irreconcilable rough patches (to the betterment of one party, if he was doing his job).
I meant more about the fact that his divorce seems to be tied to his return to the boards. It seems an odd correlation.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GamrIrv

Post by GamrIrv »

LordMortis wrote: OTOH, Friday looks like a two show night. Mucca Pazza, as part of Ann Arbor's Summer Fest should be done early, so we're gonna head east side afterwards to see Downtown Brown.
I'm gonna do my best to hit up the mucca pazza show this friday as well. Do you have any recommendations as to how early I should get there/where to park, how long it's going to be? just wondering.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GamrIrv wrote:
LordMortis wrote: OTOH, Friday looks like a two show night. Mucca Pazza, as part of Ann Arbor's Summer Fest should be done early, so we're gonna head east side afterwards to see Downtown Brown.
I'm gonna do my best to hit up the mucca pazza show this friday as well. Do you have any recommendations as to how early I should get there/where to park, how long it's going to be? just wondering.
Nope. I haven't been to "Top of the Park" since shortly after High School in the late 80s. I was just driving up State yesterday and it's pretty ripped up on the north side of downtown. Apparently, it's not even on the top of the park any more or so they tell me.

Maybe we can arrange to make octopus gang signs and meet up.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote:
GamrIrv wrote:
Nope. I haven't been to "Top of the Park" since shortly after High School in the late 80s. I was just driving up State yesterday and it's pretty ripped up on the north side of downtown. Apparently, it's not even on the top of the park any more or so they tell me.

Maybe we can arrange to make octopus gang signs and meet up.
If you make it out, I'll be the guy with medium long scraggly hair half worn in a pony tail with a purple TShirt and brown suede vest... As if A2 doesn't have a bunch of those.