concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Summer concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Smoove_B »

Not only will I be seeing Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers next month, but apparently they encourage you to vote on a setlist for each show.

Awesome.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Primus just announce Detroit on October 3rd. I hope we get a good opening band like they did for much of the rest of their tour. Anyone know what extras they are bringing for the "oddity faire?"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn, are you gonna hit the yard dog road show when it hits Grand Rapids? My sister and I are debating making the drive.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Exodor wrote:And this fall my big ticket item is Roger Waters. My brother snagged 19th row seats. We won't talk about how much we spent on them. :oops:
For $750 each, Trent Steel and I were going to be close enough to pick Roger's nose hairs. 5th row center stage at the Garden. But we went for the much more economical $150 almost nose-bleeds.
Holy shit.

Either my brother is lying to me or there's an extra premium for the front 10 or 15 rows.

I think we dropped ~$250 each.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Exodor wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
Exodor wrote:And this fall my big ticket item is Roger Waters. My brother snagged 19th row seats. We won't talk about how much we spent on them. :oops:
For $750 each, Trent Steel and I were going to be close enough to pick Roger's nose hairs. 5th row center stage at the Garden. But we went for the much more economical $150 almost nose-bleeds.
Holy shit.

Either my brother is lying to me or there's an extra premium for the front 10 or 15 rows.

I think we dropped ~$250 each.
Go to ticket master and look it up. You can get a pretty good idea. If I thought $240 would get me in the front 15, I'd have thought about it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

This week, I saw the Grant Park Symphony's opening night concert in Millennium Park, performing Vivaldi's The Four Seasons among other things. 15,000 people made it there after work on a nice Wednesday. Two blue-ice bricks kept my salami and cheese safely chilled all day, and the bottle of Malbec at a perfect, slightly-chilled temp.

Hoping to go back twice this week, weather permitting.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've been talked into the Yard Dog Road Show on July 2nd and the Land of Nod Experiment on 7/23, 7/24, and 7/25. I'm not sure which day(s) I will make it out. I won't be camping though. chaosraven, you should tell your wifey that rasputina will be there.
WPD

Post by WPD »

WPD wrote:$10 tickets = I'm going to see Sleigh Bells @ The Ottobar in Baltimore on July 1st.
It was pretty awesome. Short, they only played for 45 minutes, but awesome and loud.
Later ya'll.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Going to see Social Distortion later this month. w00t.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Social D is always a good time. He (they, I guess) usually gets some good acts opening too. My first exposure to bands like Tiger Army and Reverend Horton Heat came from seeing Social D shows.
disarm

Post by disarm »

LordMortis wrote:Social D is always a good time. He (they, I guess) usually gets some good acts opening too. My first exposure to bands like Tiger Army and Reverend Horton Heat came from seeing Social D shows.
i just found out that Social D is playing a small venue near me in CT soon...might have to see if i can get tickets...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Squeeze and Cheap Trick this Saturday. Hope the weather holds out! Can't wait!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As things change... things change. :D I think this where I stand now. So far, it's been a fantastic summer with the stand shows being Question Mark and the Mysterians and The Futureheads. Both get a huge recommendation from me.

7/9 - We Were Promised Jetpacks - Magic Stick - Game time decision if tickets are available at the door and I have the oomph
7/17 - Goober and the Peas - St Andrews Hall - not to be missed. Tickets Purchased.
7/23 - 7/25 - Land of Nod - Somewhere in Jackson - Game time decision. Prices just jacked up. May cancel. We'll see how I feel.
7/25 - Candlebox - Free show on the St Clair River. And it's centered around BBQ. We'll see if I want to make the drive or if I end up and Land of Nod for that matter.
7/28 - Thrill Kill Kult and the Lords of Acid. Smalls. Get a hearty maybe from me.
7/30 - Blue Oyster Cult - Free Show at RenCen (Heart Plaza?) I've always wanted to see BOC and free is the right price.
8/4 - The Big Pink - Crofoot - Game time decision. Like what I've heard but tix are coming in high and Pontiac can be more of a commute than I like unless I really want to see a show.
8/5 - Juliette Lewis - Magic Stick - Still need to get tix. If I go to We Were Promised Jetpacks tomorrow, I'll pick the up them.
8/20 - Black Crowes - Fillmore - Probably will duck out of this. Tix are too expensive and I dislike the venue.
9/3 - 9/6 - Arts Beats and Eats - Bands are yet to be announced. So we'll see.
9/9 - Girl in a Coma - Magic Stick
9/11 - Dally in the Alley - 4th Street (I think) just outside of Cass Corridor. To pick up Theatre Bizarre Tickets and catch unknown local talent and maybe buy a few T Shirts and eat food really bad for me.
9/18 - Matt and Kim - Magic Stick - Little Sis wants to go. I'm on the fence.
9/30 The Eels - Crofoot - Missed them last time because I thought I really didn't like them. As it turns out I just listened to a bad album
10/3 - Primus - Fillmore - Hate the venue, love the band. Will see how well tickets sell. If I can get mainfloor tix last minute I'll probably go.
10/23 (I think may be 10/30) - Theatre Bizarre - Can't miss party. They probably had 30 or 40 bands last year and they never disappoint, so I don't even need to see who's playing ahead of time.

I see they just announced Social D here as well. Frank Turner is opening for them. I don't know who Frank Turner is but he ends up here a lot... And then canceling. He's in town by himself this month. He was supposed to open for Flogging Molly earlier this year. They're also with Lucero. I think Lucero were pimped here but I can't put my finger on their music...

Also I see The Whigs are opening for Gaslight Anthem. That puts me one step closer to going to see them. Maybe will get a tick last minute. However "American Slang" seems to be all over the radio now, which may mean a sell out show, which I wouldn't want to be at anyway...

Edit and Girl in a Coma just announced they are headlining the Magic Stick 9/9. I won't miss that one. They are fantastic.

Edit again. Looks like I just added Rob Zombie and Tom Petty to the list. At $16 a ticket (plus fees) you can't go wrong even for crappy seats.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

LordMortis wrote:I think Lucero were pimped here but I can't put my finger on their music...
:wub: Lucero

Since you like Gaslight Anthem, odds are pretty good you'll like Lucero. They're a little bit punk and a little bit country and a whole lot good. Excellent songwriting has always been one of their strengths.

Frank Turner opened for Gaslight Anthem last time they were here, but I didn't get there early enough to catch his set.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I just got 2 1-day passes for Pitchfork Music Festival for Friday. The headliners that day are Modest Mouse & Broken Social Scene. The rest is mostly comedians. But the tickets were free and I like both of those bands.
Tallest Man on Earth is also playing - also good but a little too mellow for me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Girl in a Coma just announced. My creepy old man vibe just took over. :wub: And she is an amazing vocalist and guitar player as well.

tgb

Post by tgb »

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal.

(The highlighting was done by a friend who sent the link to me).
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Funny that they mention Kings of Leon. I was going to see them both for a free show and cheap show in 2008. Missed them both times. They came back to town twice on the same album in 2009 at progressively larger venues for progressively more expensive pricing. They are back again for the same album they're still on my sadly to don't list. A list concert going is rarely as fun, rarely as much of an experience, and the evening out is designed to gouge you from every possible angle. To hell with their "struggling" because the top 100 acts grossed less than a billion dollars last year.
CGMark

Post by CGMark »

A couple months back. Lady GAga played in detroit. And while we arent huge fans. We thought it might be a fun spur of the moment thing to do. And we figure either shes gonna burn out and go away or turn into the next madonna. Minimum Ticket price was 85 bucks. So not worth it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CGMark wrote:A couple months back. Lady GAga played in detroit. And while we arent huge fans. We thought it might be a fun spur of the moment thing to do. And we figure either shes gonna burn out and go away or turn into the next madonna. Minimum Ticket price was 85 bucks. So not worth it.
OTOH, Lady Gaga toppled the Noisettes on the English charts. The Noisettes, if they ever come back will play a $20 show at much smaller venue tops and they're awesome. The Noisettes toppled Natasha Beddingsfield who played an even smaller venue for $15 at the time.

And if they all played $10 shows at a tiny venue, Lady Gaga would be the last one of the three I would choose. Mind you, I'd still pay ten bucks to see her at a small show but I'd see the Noisettes or Natasha Beddingsfield first.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Perfect timing on your discounted tickets post.

http://www.palacenet.com/blitz_2010.asp" target="_blank

I'll see Tom Petty again for $16 in the cheap seats if someone else wants to go and I'll add Rob Zombie for a $16 pavilion seat as well.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's killing me we can't see Tom Petty again this year. God we had a blast a couple of years ago when we saw him. Easily one of the most fun concerts I've been to (in part due to various substances consumed before, during, and after the show). :ninja:
CGMark

Post by CGMark »

i saw Black Crowes AWHILE back for 1.01 a ticket. radio promotion. LONGEST concert ever. I loved the black crowes till that show. Every song was a 15 minutes rendition. Largest concentration of velvet overall bellbottoms in the country, I Swear...:)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

This morning I loaded up my backpack with wine, cheese, sausage and crackers, grabbed a lawn from my trunk, and shlepped it all downtown on the train this morning so after work I can see the Grant Park Symphony playing Sibelius Symphony No. 2, Prokofiev's Love for Three Oranges, and Antiphony by Chen-Yi.
Black Lives Matter
NinaPerdida

Post by NinaPerdida »

Last night, I saw this band:

at this venue:

(Except that we were in Row 4, middle seats!) Kayla bought tickets for my birthday and the two of us went along with Chris and had an awesome time. BNL always puts on a great live show, and continue to do so even without Steve Page. We had seen them in concert once since Steve left but it was right afterward and I think they were still foundering a little with the chemistry between the remaining band members but they've found their groove again. And this was my first concert at Red Rocks but hopefully not my last- it is a gorgrous, amazing venue.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hot Damn! They just announced James for October 1st. I've been meaning to see them for 20 years but they just sort of disappeared after Laid.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Frightened Rabbit and Plants and Animals just announced for 11/3 at the Magic Stick. Getting way far away from Summer with plans now but that's OK. Too many shows and not enough time. Currently have 18 shows I plan to attend between now and 11/3 and more seem to added every week. And that's after ducking out of Tom Petty and Rob Zombie (They changed their cheap seat costs at the last moment for both shows) and still sitting on the fence with J Giles.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Just got back from seeing The Swell Season (a.k.a. Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová from the movie 'Once') at the Ravinia in Chicago. We had lawn tickets so we got to hear them more than see them, but I did get pretty close to see them when they did "Falling Slowly".
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

Just saw Smokey Robinson. Was a great show. Not the type of show I normally see, but I really enjoyed it. Show was at the Hollywood bowl, great venue, but still hot and humid at 11
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Heard a commercial on the radio for a show next week featuring the Gin Blossoms and Soul Asylum. I was puzzled. Tickets range from $49-$79 without processing charges. I was at a show that featured Matthew Sweet and Soul Asylum back in the early 1990s and we left after Matthew Sweet finished his set. And as much as I'd like to go see the Gin Blossoms play next Thursday, I'll be neck deep in the Peacemakers instead.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I saw Soul Asylum play a few clubs in the late 80s. They were a great time and their "can't feel the beating" Tshirt was a great match for my Jesus and Marychain "choice of the lost generation" Tshirt. I have no idea how they'd be 20 years later.

When they played small clubs, they'd cover "Piano Man" by Billy Joe and it was a treat to have two or three hundred people all swishing their beers back and forth over their heads to a sing along.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just found out the American Carnage Tour will be in Salt Lake on October 19. Even better, this second leg of the tour will be Slayer (playing Seasons in the Abyss in its entirety), Megadeth (playing Rust in Peace in its entirety), and Anthrax (with Joey Belladonna on vocals). Testament would have been OK, but Anthrax makes it a "holy crap" event.
Smoove_B wrote:Heard a commercial on the radio for a show next week featuring the Gin Blossoms and Soul Asylum. I was puzzled. Tickets range from $49-$79 without processing charges.
Man, State Fair tickets are getting expensive these days. ;)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Tscott wrote:Just got back from seeing The Swell Season (a.k.a. Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová from the movie 'Once') at the Ravinia in Chicago. We had lawn tickets so we got to hear them more than see them, but I did get pretty close to see them when they did "Falling Slowly".
Loved it when Glen told the crowd standing outside to come on into the pavilion. Bet the unpaid security folks about crapped their pants. It was a great show. Just wish I felt better, I was running a fever while I was there.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire

Post by Default »

Saw Chris Isaak on Wednesday with teh wife, and Cheap Trick and Squeeze with my bff and...
Chris was a fun show and she even liked it, which is a shock, because she doesn't listen to any form of music. Squeeze was killer, particularly because they were under my radar. I really went to the concert to see CT.

And I was bored during their set. :(
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

For those that forked over the bucks to see Roger Waters perform The Wall, it has been announced that David Gilmour will be joining him on stage at a concert of his choosing to perform Comfortably Numb together, as a payback for Roger performing with him at a benefit concert in England.

Please pick MSG on 10/6....please pick MSG on 10/6....
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Lee

Post by Lee »

If he picks the Denver show and I didn't go I will just kill myself.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Damnit Skinypuppy! I'm going to see the Slayer, Megadeth, and Testament show in Denver! Adding Anthrax to the lineup would be just f'n awesome.

Shit, i like Testament...but Anthrax would be amazing!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Gato

Post by Gato »

Just got back from Rammstein and Apocalypta, i'm too old for this my neck hurt.
Haven't had so much fun since the Paul McCartney concert 2 years ago.

Rammstein got Apocalyta back on stage for the last 2 songs of the show, that was very impressive and very good.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Du
Du Hast
Du Hast Mich

I can't hear that without hearing KMFDM in my head.

Goob was awesome on Saturday but it's sad to see how the crowd has literally dulled over the years. Part of the enjoyment of a show is the electricity between crowd and band. It's the live in a live show and Goob had an excellent spark but if failed to ignite the 40 something crowd who seems to have forgotten what seeing a Goober show used to be all about.

Perhaps that's part of the reason I am creepy old dude at kid shows and why I get disappointed at shows that technically sound good but leave me hollow for the night. That energy, that positive feedback loop is just too important. Anyhoo, I might be ducking out of both Land of Nod and/or Candlebox this weekend. Too much coming, and too much to do outside of everything else, which then takes me to do I want to see Thrill Kill Kult and Lord of Acid on Wednesday.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Seeing Kamelot in Orlando in September.

Just bought my ticket to see Rush in Tampa on October 1st with special edition t-shirt and VIP upgrade! Going by myself this year :D

And just saw that Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax will be at the Hard Rock on October 2nd. Should I have a two-fer? :twisted: