concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: Summer concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Skinypupy »

Z-Corn wrote:We caught Deal's Gone Bad from Chicago and Rollinghead from Kalamazoo last night at Bell's. Deal's Gone Bad are a ska band and I decided, like I do every time I watch a ska band, that I like the idea of a ska band more than I ever end up liking the band. They are always just so...earnest...

Rollinghead was cool, I'd never seen them before. They were pretty huge (locally) in the good ol' Grunge Days...
The ska bands I've seen have always been either incredibly awesome (one particular Mephiskapheles/Skankin' Pickle gig comes to mind) or mind-numbingly bad. Doesn't seem to be much in between.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skankin' Pickle
That's a name I haven't heard in two decades. And now I need to go find my walker.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

We went to the Disturbed/Avenged Sevenfold/Stone Sour/ bunch of other bands Rockfest thingy-ma-bob on Friday. My buddy had to work til 5 so we only made it in time to see the aforementioned bands(which is exactly what we were aiming for...no desire to sit outside in 105+ heat index listening to bands I dont know from Adam), but they all were fantastic. My first time seeing all 3, and apart from the concert being deafeningly loud it was excellent.

But the volume level was ridiculous. Ive been to plenty of concerts before, including some metal bands like Maiden and Metallica, and they were nowhere near this level. It's 48 hours since we got home from the concert and my ears, literally, are still ringing. NOt cool. Was telling my wife, if I put my hands over my ears and all I can hear is the ringing, it sounds like a jet engine sitting in the middle of my head.

So if you're gonna catch this tour sometime later this year, BRING SOME EARPLUGS!! I promise you wont miss a thing.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote:How was Bell's as a venue?

You've got to understand Bell's has a special place in our hearts. My wife and I have been making pilgrimages down there since about '93 when it was just a hole-in-the-wall, not the Empire that it is now.

Bell's as a venue is great. If you want to drink Bell's beer, that's all they serve. Maybe some wine too. And I had one of their meads Saturday...

If you don't mind hippies, they seem to FLOCK there. Always a mellow crowd, everybody's got the same buzz going...

The show was outdoors, in the beer garden. They have a nice band shell. It was raining but they had a huge tent set up so it was all good. It is soon going to be even better of a venue. Larry is sinking $2.5 million into the property which will include a new music room with 300 person capacity. They were well on their way with the construction...here's a good article:

http://www.mlive.com/kalamabrew/index.s ... major.html
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Gwar in November!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
disarm

Post by disarm »

while it's not exactly summer anymore, i thought it worth mentioning that i'm off to see Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper, and the Murderdolls on friday...should be awesome Image
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Saw Bob Dylan on Friday. His voice was pretty rough but the music was still good.

Going to see Built to Spill on Sunday and then Frightened Rabbit next Saturday. For being a medium sized town we've been getting some good shows lately.
Black Lives Matter
nasai

Post by nasai »

Roger Waters in December. Can't wait.
Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Found out Deadbolt is playing Saturday. What an awesome way to bring in the season. I stoked. And this after we did the Zombie Ball this last weekend. God I love this time of year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MPvc7R04xk" target="_blank
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh, I think I'm going to see the Trailer Park Boys on Friday. WTF do they do at a live venue?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Oh, I think I'm going to see the Trailer Park Boys on Friday. WTF do they do at a live venue?

If their TV show is any indication, swear and shit? No idea.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Hank III on Saturday!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Ive got about a week and a half til Roger Waters performs at the Palace. Absolutely pumped for it!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote:Hank III on Saturday!
Saw that. I bet my sis is thinking about driving out there. Too much to do. Too little time and money.
rshetts2 wrote:Ive got about a week and a half til Roger Waters performs at the Palace. Absolutely pumped for it!
I also see they brought prices down and that and was thinking about nose bleed seats for that as well.

But I'll be content with all too much already.

10/16 Deadbolt
10/23 Theatre Bizarre
11/3 Plants and Animals and Frightened Rabbit
11/4 Mad Sin

And I already took a bunch off my list. :(

I'd really wanted to catch Mumford and Sons as well but they seemed to have skipped Detroit again. :(
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did you make it to the Peacemakers or do I have to keep monitoring their current tour? ;)

I'm guessing you didn't because you didn't send me an PM saying you had a religious moment and possibly saw god at the bottom of a shot of Tequila.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:Hank III on Saturday!
Saw that. I bet my sis is thinking about driving out there. Too much to do. Too little time and money.(

We're pretty stoked. My wife hasn't seen him yet and last year when he came through it sold out before we got tix.

Add the fact that we've got a pig roast to go to before the show and it should be a hell of a good time!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Kind of dorky, but we took the kids to see Rain, a Beatles tribute band. Basically a redone Beatlemania from the 70s and it was awesome. The show was fantastic and the best part was watching all the little Beatle fans sing along to all the songs. They are heading to Broadway this month, so check them out if you are in town.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:Did you make it to the Peacemakers or do I have to keep monitoring their current tour? ;)

I'm guessing you didn't because you didn't send me an PM saying you had a religious moment and possibly saw god at the bottom of a shot of Tequila.

I still want to go but it wasn't meant to be this time. I poured myself into bed the night before at 05:30 after being fed Kamikazes and vodka and tonics all night for my birthday and digging on some awesome local musicians. Thank Pancake there were no car keys near me.

Mister Ed just announced they are playing Nov 18th. If I could get a bunch of the clowns from high school together for that show, I'd so go. Lies lies lies lies books books books books burn burn burn fire fire fire fire oh. Ridiculous pretentious and fun and as hell. And sweet mercy, we danced like imbeciles we were.

There's always just too damned much to do.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Looks like I was wrong. She's not seeing Hank in Grand Rapids tomorrow. She's seeing Hank in Flint tonight. And so am I now. My wallet and my lack of sleep both hate me.

Edit: And game off now. Hank is sold out and we didn't get tix ahead of time. That's probably for the best... even if once I was committed to going, the idea of the commute and expense didn't sound so bad.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just got word that we'll be meeting the Boys. This is going to be strange.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

rshetts2 wrote:Ive got about a week and a half til Roger Waters performs at the Palace. Absolutely pumped for it!
Please post your impressions after - I'm really looking forward to his December show in Tacoma.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: I still want to go but it wasn't meant to be this time.
When you finally do make it, you're going to kick yourself for not going sooner. It's been like 3 months and I still think about the show daily -- and how much fun those guys were having on stage. If you're out there reading this, com back to NJ soon. If I actually lived in Arizona, I'd probably go broke.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Only 3 more days until Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax, which looks to be the only concert I'll be seeing all year. I even grabbed a Slayer shirt for the hell of it, which my wife is oh-so-thrilled about.

I already warned my co-workers that I'll be in very late - if at all - the following day. Mosh pits take more of a toll on us old guys. :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fun show. Missed the boys because i was talking tothis guy with a lions cap about the winnepeg jets but freaking great show.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Fun show. Missed the boys because i was talking tothis guy with a lions cap about the winnepeg jets but freaking great show.

MYT
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Just found out Steel Panther is coming to Denver in December and for some reason i'd like to see them.

They are funny as hell and remind me alot of my high school days :)
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've been rather 'meh' about seeing Megadeth tonight, and was mostly going just for Slayer. I've never really listened to Rust in Peace (Mustaine's voice grates on my nerves), and decided to give it a spin this morning. Realized that this is, indeed, a very kick-ass album.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the show a little more now. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Theatre Bizarre is Saturday. I'm totally stoked but now I'm also totally nervous. I whore this party out to every one every year because it simply is the best party/show in South Eastern Michigan every year. Nothing else compares. This year a number of different people from a number of different worlds are going and I fear there is going to be an expectation that I will be at the center too many people's entertainment. And that the worlds of these people shouldn't necessarily cross. For instance, two different women I know are going solo. I am not dating either one and yet I feel both are going to want to cling as if we were dating that night. I got the ticket for one so I ironically owe her a chunk of my time and a sort of tour of the evening and what it has to offer her even if I was straight up with her ahead of time. The other is a women whom I have paid to sit on my lap and wiggle her breasts in my face. That was a wild card that popped up out of nowhere. Somehow I fear I have implicitly set expectations on both their parts even if I was explicit in saying they should have no expectations. Then we can throw my little sister in to the mix, whom thank God I know will wander off within minutes of us arriving and I won't have to worry about but who will also probably laugh her ass off at me when she hears of my dilemma and then find a way to make life more "interesting".

Suddenly I remember why I do things alone that everyone else does socially. I really really suck at this whole socially thing and I am very poor communicator.

But I'm still stoked for the show. I guess they're adding a ferris wheel this year as well as an all night peep show with nationalyl and internationally acclaimed burlesque shows... Which makes me wonder what changes they are going to make for side show acts between bands.

Man, too much to do on night with too many areas to explore at any given moment with me in full ADD mode. The night is going to rock... but not socially...
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Rust in Peace will never come off my iPod....classic in every sense of the word

I was opposite of you Skinypupy....i was meh on Slayer and was excited beyond belief for Megadeth. I don't know if it was the acoutics of the arena i saw this concert at, but Medageth sounded horrible and Slayer was unbelievable. i became a bigger Slayer fan after that show.

let me know how your show goes. i would definitely pay to see that show again.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just got home...what a show. We left a little late, and didn't get in until about halfway through Anthrax's set. I was fine with that, as I'm not a huge fan of theirs and have seen them twice before. Hung out towards the back of the floor for Megadeth, who put on a surprisingly tight show. They sounded excellent, and I don't think they missed a single note the entire show. Some of the stuff Dave can do with a guitar is pretty damn unreal, and the entire band was in rare form tonight. Lots of very funny crowd banter between songs as well.

Decided that if I'm going to see Slayer, I'm going to do it right and get right up front. Spent the entire show about 4 rows from the rail, except on Raining Blood where I joined the wall o' death. Fun stuff. Overall, I thought the crowd was surprisingly mellow and well-mannered (NIN still easily retains the title of "most batshit insane crowd"). Slayer sounded OK, but the mix wasn't nearly as good as Megadeth's. Could barely hear any of the vocals, and Dave's bass drum was way too overpowering. I enjoyed Slayer's set more, but only because I was familiar with the songs. The guy I went with was pretty neutral (wasn't familiar with either band...just wanted to see what a real metal show was like) and said Megadeth was by far the better of the two.

Fun times, can hardly move, have no voice, and I doubt I'll be able to get out of bed tomorrow. Totally worth it.

Oh, and memo to the dude who insists on bringing his 5'1", 90 lb girlfriend to the front. You're at a fucking Slayer concert dickbag, she's going to get crunched. No amount of flying elbows and dirty looks at the rest of us is going to change that...ain't a damn thing we can do about it.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

"so ya thought ya might like to go to the show" 2 days til the Roger Waters performance of the Wall at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Cant frikkin wait!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Going to see Frightened Rabbit with Plants and Animals tomorrow. Should be good! :D
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Going to see Frightened Rabbit with Plants and Animals tomorrow. Should be good! :D

Report back. I am seeing them in two weeks when they come to the stick. It's one of the shows I'm really looking forward to.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

...and how are any of these "Summer" concerts anymore? Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Because in order to pay for them, you had to re-mortgage your home in June.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:Because in order to pay for them, you had to re-mortgage your home in June.
That's why I see cheap shows. My expensive show is tomorrow. $65 a ticket. It just turned into BYOB yesterday. Parking got shit on last week by the Governor and cronies so I'll likely have to get a room and take a cab to and from the room. But the good news is that if I have a room and take a cab and I'm BYOB then I go for the hard liquor and plenty of it as keys will never get near my hand again once I am parked. And of course there was the money for the costume design. And the fact that we'll be going from 21:00 to 04:00 or later so there will concession purchases.

When it's all said and done a night out for two is gonna cost me a somewhere around $450, maybe more. :shock: Nothing will get in the way of my good time.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101021 ... ween-Party" target="_blank

http://www.freep.com/article/20101021/ENT05/10210413" target="_blank

I fear with all of the problems with the governor, and now the city council and the Detroit Department of Health and Safety that appeared this year that this year will be the last year. :( Hopefully John and Ken will take a year to cool off and then go back underground (and make sure to keep me in the loop. :D )

Stoked. Not rain. Not cold weather. Not the lack of free beer. Not the lack of parking. None of it will ruin tomorrow.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Isgrimnur wrote:...and how are any of these "Summer" concerts anymore? Image
I live in Florida. Summer doesn't end until December 21.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Hey Xmann can you please edit the thread title before Isgrmnur has an aneurysm! :P

You shall not dampen my fun with your jackboot, forum nazi tactics Isgrimnur. When it comes to my concert season summer is not over until I say it is! 8-)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

rshetts2 wrote:

Hey Xmann can you please edit the thread title before Isgrmnur has an aneurysm! :P

You shall not dampen my fun with your jackboot, forum nazi tactics Isgrimnur. When it comes to my concert season summer is not over until I say it is! 8-)
Damned straight. Wish I was with you on Sunday. Of course, I'll still be recuperating from Saturday, so maybe not.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

rshetts2 wrote:

I reserve that for R&P topics.
It's almost as if people are the problem.