concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Exodor wrote:Benefit show last night for Scott McCaughey who has played with R.E.M. and a million other bands.

The Decemberists headlined but the big moment was the band that played before them... R.E.M. (well, 3/4 of them without Michael Stipe)

:shock: :dance:

Also got to meet Peter Buck and Colin Meloy before the show

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

That was a fun night. :mrgreen:
Wow, you lucky bastard! Hard to see in photo, but is Buck holding a big fat doob in his right hand? Image
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:48 am Wow, you lucky bastard! Hard to see in photo, but is Buck holding a big fat doob in his right hand? Image

Sadly it's just the sharpie he used to sign my copy of the new Filthy Friends CD.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Slayer just announced they’re calling it quits with a “farewell” tour this summer. No cities announced yet, but this lineup is fucking insane:

- Slayer
- Lamb of God
- Behemoth
- Anthrax
- testament

Paging Xmann...Xmann to the white courtesy phone...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I saw the rumour of that tour last week. When I saw they announced a farewell tour, I figured it would be this.

I'll definitely be going and I'm hoping it's Red Rocks.

LoG and Behemoth are still on my must see list.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I suppose this is a good thread for this:

Neil Diamond is retiring from touring immediately due to being diagnosed with Parkinson's.

I saw him this past summer on his 50th anniversary tour and he could still bring it on stage. I'm glad I got to see him live one last time.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This time tomorrow, I will be on my way to my third 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise. This year is a bit different in that there aren't any I'm absolutely dying to see. (In 2016, it was Turisas, Vallenfyre, At the Gates, and Fleshgod Apocalypse. Last year it was Amorphis, Anthrax, and Haggard.) Probably the closest is Enslaved, but I've seen them before and will catch them again when they come through SLC end of Februrary. However, there's a ton of bands that I'm kinda interested in. I'm planning to catch at least one set from:

- Enslaved
- Aborted
- Aeternam
- Alestorm (mostly just so I can hear "Fucked With An Anchor" live. :lol: )
- Benighted
- Cannibal Corpse
- Dark Tranquility
- Insomnium (especially if they do the rumored "Winters Gate" set)
- Korpiklaani
- Sabaton
- Samael
- Septicflesh
- Sepultura
- Swallow the Sun (they're doing all three parts of 'Songs From the North' :wub: )
- Witchery
- Witherfall

Regardless, 4 days out on the ocean surrounded by metalheads is exactly what my mental state needs right now.

Horns up, motherfuckers. \m/ \m/
naednek

Post by naednek »

Taking Ethan to the Toby Mac concert in two weeks for his birthday.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:This time tomorrow, I will be on my way to my third 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise. This year is a bit different in that there aren't any I'm absolutely dying to see. (In 2016, it was Turisas, Vallenfyre, At the Gates, and Fleshgod Apocalypse. Last year it was Amorphis, Anthrax, and Haggard.) Probably the closest is Enslaved, but I've seen them before and will catch them again when they come through SLC end of Februrary. However, there's a ton of bands that I'm kinda interested in. I'm planning to catch at least one set from:

- Enslaved
- Aborted
- Aeternam
- Alestorm (mostly just so I can hear "Fucked With An Anchor" live. Image )
- Benighted
- Cannibal Corpse
- Dark Tranquility
- Insomnium (especially if they do the rumored "Winters Gate" set)
- Korpiklaani
- Sabaton
- Samael
- Septicflesh
- Sepultura
- Swallow the Sun (they're doing all three parts of 'Songs From the North' :wub: )
- Witchery
- Witherfall

Regardless, 4 days out on the ocean surrounded by metalheads is exactly what my mental state needs right now.

Horns up, motherfuckers. \m/ \m/
I'd be on that ship if not for
swearing I'll never get on one again after having an awful experience 2 years ago on a ship.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:55 pm Slayer just announced they’re calling it quits with a “farewell” tour this summer. No cities announced yet, but this lineup is fucking insane:

- Slayer
- Lamb of God
- Behemoth
- Anthrax
- testament

Paging Xmann...Xmann to the white courtesy phone...
I'll be there in June!
18-1™ & 2-0
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just got back from the 70k cruise. Friend and I decided pre-cruise that we were going to make less of an effort on drinking beer, and more of an effort on seeing as many shows as possible. Did pretty well, even making it to the “fuck you o’clock” (6am) show two of the three nights. Watching the sun rise as Aeternam ripped through “Sun Shield” was absolutely amazing.

Worst band: There weren’t any objectively “bad” shows, but Rhapsody are a level of ultra-cheese that I can’t understand at all.
Best band: Toss up between Alestorm (just goofy fun) and Gyze (a Japanese melodeath band that no one had heard of, but blew away everyone who saw them).

Over 4 days we saw 41 bands:

Leaves Eyes
Swallow the Sun
Psychostick
Rhapsody
Enslaved
Kreator
Kataklysm
Witchery
Benediction
In Mourning
Alestorm
Naglfar
Aeternam
Korpiklaani
Exodus
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter
Evergrey
Cannibal Corpse
Septicflesh
Sepultura
Sinister
Benighted
Sabaton
Meshuggah
Dark Tranquility
Voivod
Samael
Witherfall
Evertale
Battle Beast
Wolfheart
Amberion Dawn
Masterplan
Insomnium
Gyze
Revenge
In Extremo
Metsatoll
Threshold
Majestic Downfall
Necrophobic

Only problem is that I’m fucking exhausted. I now I need a vacation to recover from my vacation.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:59 am Worst band: There weren’t any objectively “bad” shows, but Rhapsody are a level of ultra-cheese that I can’t understand at all.
This opinion from you doesn't surprise me at all, but I am a bit envious you got to see their reunion show since they appear to be skipping the US entirely, other than the 70000 tons cruise.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know if I'll see them, but I'm intrigued that the Smashing Pumpkins are touring - with three out of the four band members. It's also pretty cool that they used the Siamese Dream album twins to make this announcement video. Also, we're old.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Can I assume the bassist is not an original member because my memory is that all of the "alternative" bands of late 80s had a hot female bassist and Smashing Pumpkins was one of them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

D'Arcy is an original member, but there's apparently drama between her and Billy Corgan. It's been all over the music news sites the last week, but the short of it is she apparently wasn't invited to be part of this reunion tour. He's a bit of an a-hole but she's apparently a mess. I don't know who to blame, so I'll go with both.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Darcy Wretzky (I think that's her name) was the original bassist and is not in the reunion. There's been some minor drama over this, with her account not quite lining up with Billy's.

Meanwhile, Billy has been busy managing his wrestling league and being a frequest guest on InfoWars, where he is a big conspiracy theorist (anti-vaxxer, chemtrails, etc.). I assume is voice is still as irritating as ever, though.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

The way I read it is that D'arcy is still using drugs and Billy can't trust her to pull off the tour.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:53 pm The way I read it is that D'arcy is still using drugs and Billy can't trust her to pull off the tour.
I saw someone on Twitter pitching a fit saying it can't be a Smashing Pumpkins tour without D'arcy.
Hodor.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

So the upcoming list is now...

Weird Al's all-originals show
U2
Weezer and Pixies
Rod Stewart and Cyndi Lauper (Valentine's gift to my wife)
I have but one advocate.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

saw Machine Head last night. no opening band, 23 songs.

the wife and I got there early so we were able to get front and center on the rail. I guess I'm just getting too old to do that. I'll grab a balcony seat from now on with general admission shows.

awesome show. I know Robb Flynn rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but dude can play and the band is amazing live.

ImageImage

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Did you do the Enslaved/Myrkur/Wolves in the Throne Room/Khemmis show on Monday? I'll be hitting that one tonight.

I'll admit this is a bit of a dream metal lineup, even if it will be the third time I've seen Enslaved in a month. :lol:
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Saw Bananarama on Saturday, Playstation Theater, NYC.
Really neat show!
Enlarge Image
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A superb night of metal last night. Khemmis was very good, although one of the guitarists was slightly out of tune the entire show and it was very distracting. I'm absolutely in love with Amelie Brunn from Myrkur. Her voice is simply incredible. Closed the show doing an a capella version of a Nordic folk song that left the entire audience absolutely in awe. I wasn't too familiar with Wolves in the Throne room, but they impressed me enough that I'm going to buy a couple albums today. And Enslaved was great, but I was a little disappointed that they played the same set I heard twice on 70K.

I did see one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a metal show though. There was this obnoxious, drunk, skinny hipster kid (skinny jeans, plaid shirt, Waldo glasses, beanie, wispy goatee, the works) who was running around all night between sets, grabbing random people and screaming at them "This is my very first metal show! Aren't you proud of me?!". Everyone was alternately laughing or rolling their eyes at him. (My buddy saw him coming and screamed back, "It's my 200th!" :lol:)

For a small venue, the pit was actually pretty rough. So much so that there was no way I was going to jump in. Lots of very enthused folks seeing Enslaved for the first time in 25 years, I suppose. The hipster kid was standing at the edge of the pit, and you could tell he was trying to psych himself up to jump in. Rocking back and forth, very intense look on his face, etc. Around the 4th song, he finally decides to take the plunge. Throws both of his arms up in the air (first mistake) and rushes in. He took no more than 3 steps when this huge dude caught him with a shoulder square in the chest. In football terms, it would have been called a "de-cleater". Kid lifted at least 6 inches off the ground, glasses and beanie went flying, and he came down squarely on his back (for the record, it didn't look intentional to me, but who knows...the kid was awfully obnoxious). Everyone helped him up and shoved him off to the side.

The kid spent the rest of the set leaning against the rail looking for all the world like he was going to burst into tears at any moment. It was as utterly dejected as I've ever seen anyone look...and I could not stop laughing. I can't help but wonder if there will be a second metal show for him.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Slayer just announced another set of dates for their farewell tour, including Denver and Salt Lake. Napalm Death is replacing Behemoth for the second leg though, which makes me far less interested.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I pulled the trigger and just bought a couple presale tickets.

I really don't like Napalm Death, but it's Slayer one last time.

Behemoth is now on the top of my see list. They have a new album coming out later this summer i believe, so I'm hoping for a headlining fall tour. So I'm sort of ok with them not being on this leg.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Napalm Death is a band i keep missing for some reason. I would totally go for that double bill, but that tour is not stopping in Seattle (Boise and Portland tho, wtf)

was going to go to the Melvins/Napalm Death show a couple years ago, but it sold out.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Going to see The Supersuckers again next week, looking forward to that. We always try to catch the boys when they come through town. I believe the last show we went to was Supersuckers last summer.

This will be around the 30th time seeing them...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 am This will be around the 30th time seeing them...
:shock:

The most time I've ever seen a single band is 4 (Tool, NIN, Skinny Puppy, Ohgr, Enslaved, and Anthrax). I can't imagine seeing a single band 30 times.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

lol, I've seen multiple bands 2 and 3 times and I've seen Opeth and Slayer 4. Slayer will be the final time this summer at 5.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:35 am
Z-Corn wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 am This will be around the 30th time seeing them...
:shock:

The most time I've ever seen a single band is 4 (Tool, NIN, Skinny Puppy, Ohgr, Enslaved, and Anthrax). I can't imagine seeing a single band 30 times.
I've been to a LOT of shows!

The next most times I've seen a band would be The Butthole Surfers at about 10 times and then The Melvins at about 8 times.

We saw The Supersuckers so many times in the '90's because we were members of their fan club and you could email their manager for any show and get put on the guest list. We would take road trips and catch them a couple nights in a row when they came around.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Will they have Drivin' n' Cryin' with them? I've seen them 4 times.
I have but one advocate.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

JetFred wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:01 am Will they have Drivin' n' Cryin' with them? I've seen them 4 times.

Yes, and I'm looking forward to seeing them too...
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

My 2018 concert slate:

Already seen:

March 13 - Nightwish. While they played a full 2 hours, and I enjoyed it, I was a little underwhelmed overall. I'm not sure if it was the venue, or just the performance, but this was not quite the energetic metal show I was expecting.
April 18 - Delain and Kamelot. Kamelot was who I was really there to see, and they rocked it for their set as per usual. I caught most of Delain's set as well - a little hit or miss for me, as I'm not very familiar with their music, but enjoyable overall.

Yet to come:

May 30 - Jurassic World in concert. World Premiere performance of Michael Giacchino's score played to picture by the NSO.
September 14 - Paul Simon. My second retirement tour in two years, as Neil Diamond's tour last year wound up being a retirement tour as well.
September 25 - Game of Thrones. Saw the version of this show last year; was quite the audiovisual performance. Looking forward to another go.
October 18 - Chvrches. They were a blast last time I saw them live. Looks like it'll be my first trip to DC's new concert spot, The Anthem.
Hodor.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Me and wife will be seeing Lake Street Dive at Red Rocks in Sept. Can't wait!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holy shit, Obituary/Pallbearer/Skeletonwitch was amazeballs. That’s as much fun as I’ve had at a show in a long time.

I’m going to need about 17 Advil and will still be in massive pain in the morning, but it was totally worth it. All three bands were absolutely stellar.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:Holy shit, Obituary/Pallbearer/Skeletonwitch was amazeballs. That’s as much fun as I’ve had at a show in a long time.

I’m going to need about 17 Advil and will still be in massive pain in the morning, but it was totally worth it. All three bands were absolutely stellar.
I had considered going to that show here.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote:Obituary/Pallbearer/Skeletonwitch
I’m sensing a theme, but just can’t quite put my finger on it...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:55 am
Skinypupy wrote:Obituary/Pallbearer/Skeletonwitch
I’m sensing a theme, but just can’t quite put my finger on it...
Mrs Skinypupy said the exact same thing yesterday. :lol:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Fever Ray tonight

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I forgot to post this, but three weeks ago we took the kids to see Walker Hayes. He's a new-ish "country" artist that has a hot single (You Broke Up With Me) right now and does this kind of rap-country Matthew McConaughey vibe going on. I'm not really a fan but my wife loves him and we figured it may be a good beginner concert for the kiddos (8 and 6). Plus it was at this awesome lakeside amphitheater venue in town that we absolutely love.

The concert was OK, and we all had a pretty good time. Then Walker Hayes announces he'd be signing autographs at the merch table until the last person left. I thought that was mighty nice but the kids were tired and we weren't about to wait in that line.

As we're leaving, my daughter starts crying that she wants to meet Walker Hayes. So we're trying to tell her it's late, we have school in the morning, etc. She insists. She's sobbing. I look over at the line and it's of course wrapped around, probably an hour wait. So I'm looking at my baby girl, tears in her eyes, and I realize it's her first concert, it's something she'll remember her whole life. So I told my wife - baby girl's getting her autograph if I have to stand here all damn night. :D

So we got in line and I sure enough we are the LAST people in line. The only person behind us is the security guard making sure we're the last. Fortunately it moved fairly briskly and wound up being more like a half hour. We get up to Walker Hayes and he doted over the kids and thanked us profusely for waiting as long as we did. We told him it was my daughter's first concert and he replied, "Well I'll try to get more famous so that will actually sound cool someday." :D Then he signed their tickets and took a group family photo. My daughter was over the moon.

Still not a big fan of his style of country, but a hell of a nice guy and he made my wife and daughter's night. Anyone who can put smiles on the faces of my two girls gets a big A+ in my book.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Awesome story YK, and good on you for doing that. I totally would have left...tears be damned. :oops: