Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Toe

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Toe » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:42 am

Last week me and the wife saw Ray Lamontagne at the Ryman in Nashville (3rd row center). I have been on the fence about seeing him for some time. I love his voice and a lot of his music, but his pretentiousness just turned me off from wanting to spend money seeing him. But since he was coming to the Ryman (acoustically my favorite venue) and seats were not too bad cost-wise, I couldn't resist.

Very minimalist set, with just him and his guitar on the right side and Carl on the left playing various stringed instruments and backup singing occasionally (similar to the video below). He is the type of artist that just comes out and plays with very little audience interaction. I think the only things he said between songs sometimes was "thank you, "thank you very much", and "I really love this place".

Overall I was a bit disappointed in the set list. I am a fan, but not a huge fan. I knew maybe 50% of the songs he played. Of the 50% that I didn't know, I really only super-enjoyed a handful. The rest kinda fell into a weird place where they sounded similar to each other and, from what I recall, did not have any of his signature power vocals. Still, when he was on, it was phenomenal stuff, so overall I was glad we went.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:55 pm

hitbyambulance wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pm
EDIT: i actually timed it tonight. Bell Witch's set time as an opener was actually 40 minutes lolololol
:evil: :evil:

Mayhem is touring North America with Abbath next spring. Been wanting to see both for years, and together is even better!
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

AWS260

Post by AWS260 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Going to see Charly Bliss tonight. My first concert in quite a while.

We saw them open for Veruca Salt during the latter's reunion tour five-ish years ago, and were really impressed. Looking forward to seeing them again as headliners.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Ugh. Coheed and Cambria is doing one of those cruise-things next October out of Florida. Not sure I'm into that idea and I'd need to go by myself regardless. This last summer they did a double show with Mastodon that I preemptively declared I was too old for. I'm really regretting that I didn't figure out a way to get to NYC back in 2008. Christ, was that really 11 years ago?

JetFred
Loading…

Post by JetFred » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Mastodon and Coheed made a great combo and too old wasn't a problem. I actually don't care too much for Coheed, but the show was nice and easy, well done.
I have but one advocate.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:13 pm

Smoove_B wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:35 pm
Ugh. Coheed and Cambria is doing one of those cruise-things next October out of Florida. Not sure I'm into that idea and I'd need to go by myself regardless.
Dooooooooo iiiiiiiiiittttttttt.

Seriously dude, music cruises are amazing.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:29 pm

If I wouldn't go to see them play at an outdoor show in July here in NJ, you can be confident I'm not going to get on a plane in October and go to Florida. :D

I don't think I'd be able to go, regardless. I'd need to have a laptop with me and I'd need to be able to work. It's not the core reason I'd be skipping it, but it's definitely not helping. I'll just have to keep hoping they do some random show in the greater NYC area before I go deaf.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:17 pm

Did they outlaw vacation days in New Jersey?

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:50 pm

I dispense knowledge 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is no rest for the wicked when you teach online courses. :wink:

Kraken

Post by Kraken » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:02 pm

Going to see The Capitol Steps for a fourth time.

hitbyambulance
Loading…

Post by hitbyambulance » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:52 pm

on a whim, went to see Sleater-Kinney for the last show on their current tour last Sunday (tickets on StubHub day of the show dropped to the oh-well-might-as-well level). i liked the new album ok, but they played for nearly two hours and all i could think about was how much my feet hurt, which confirmed that i am still not very into them. and no Janet, even. opener was some boring 'college funky' r&b group from Chicago that i really should have skipped.