[Film] Bohemian Rhapsody - Nov 02 '18

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] Bohemian Rhapsody - Nov 02 '18

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Frost/Nixon scribe Peter Morgan is writing the screenplay... The film, which will focus on the period leading up to Live Aid in 1985, will begin shooting next year.
And who gets to play Freddie Mercury?
Ali G and Borat star Sacha Baron Cohen is to play Freddie Mercury in a film about Queen, the rock band's guitarist Brian May has confirmed to the BBC.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Sun May 13, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Odin

Re: Movie about the band Queen in development

Post by Odin »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Ali G and Borat star Sacha Baron Cohen is to play Freddie Mercury in a film about Queen, the rock band's guitarist Brian May has confirmed to the BBC.
I don't know this guy very well, so somebody help me out. He looks a little like Mercury, but can he sing?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Odin wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: I don't know this guy very well, so somebody help me out. He looks a little like Mercury, but can he sing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJj ... re=related" target="_blank
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Odin

Post by Odin »

stimpy wrote:
Odin wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: I don't know this guy very well, so somebody help me out. He looks a little like Mercury, but can he sing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJj ... re=related" target="_blank
I see. I suppose they'll just dub over him or something, then.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can't imagine there's a person alive that can sing like Freddie Mercury.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Smoove_B wrote:I can't imagine there's a person alive that can sing like Freddie Mercury.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c7x2JD_j-0" target="_blank
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jag

Post by Jag »

Odin wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
I don't know this guy very well, so somebody help me out. He looks a little like Mercury, but can he sing?

Borat approve! Very nice.
Odin

Post by Odin »

stimpy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:I can't imagine there's a person alive that can sing like Freddie Mercury.
That's quite good.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stimpy wrote:
Well, if you plan is to create a time machine and get George Michael circa 1992 to sing that song, then maybe you're onto something. But I will concede that at one point in time a single person did an admirable job singing one song. :)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Is George Michael dead?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not really sure he's up to the task. Problems aside, I seriously don't know if his vocal chops are the same now as they were ~20 years ago either.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I hope it has a happy ending.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Jag wrote:I hope it has a happy ending.
HAH!! :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Re: [Film] Bohemian Rhapsody - Dec 25 '18

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Quint
X-Men director Bryan Singer is making sure that his biopic Bohemian Rhapsody will immortalise the icon for generations to come.
The 2018 release will chronicle the years leading up to Queen’s appearance at the Live Aid concert in 1985. Rami Malek, who won awards galore for playing Elliot Alderson in the critically acclaimed television series Mr Robot, will embody Mercury on screen. Singer recently revealed the lead cast for the biopic via Instagram.
At one point in the film's development, Borat actor Sacha Baron Cohen was reportedly cast to portray Mercury. But he reportedly dropped out over disagreements with Queen’s bandmates, apparently over how the biopic would portray the more salacious details of Mercury’s life. Soon after, Skyfall actor Ben Winshaw was considered for the part and director Dexter Fletcher was to helm the project. But that partnership too fell apart over creative differences in 2014. Finally, Malek and Singer signed on for the biopic in November 2016 and it’s been all guns blazing ever since.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rami Malek is a hard sell for me. I can only see him as the annoying crazy guy arguing with Christian Slater. Sacha Baron Cohen is a much better choice.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Does he look the part? Looking the part and singing the part is an unrealistic expectation.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jeff V wrote:Does he look the part? Looking the part and singing the part is an unrealistic expectation.
I'm inclined to agree with Moliere, though he's certainly a talented actor.

Here's Rami Malek as seen in Mr. Robot so you can judge for yourself:

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Production has been temporarily halted on Bohemian Rhapsody, the Bryan Singer-directed film about the British rock band Queen and its frontman Freddie Mercury, with Mr. Robot‘s Rami Malek playing the singing legend. The studio has said the reason is a “health matter” involving the director. There have been rumors surrounding Singer and the production for some time, including that film took breaks more than once because of the mercurial director going AWOL from the London shoot. Word I am hearing is that he hasn’t shown up for the past three days.
Singer’s reps later said in a statement: “This is a personal health matter concerning Bryan and his family. Bryan hopes to get back to work on the film soon after the holidays.”
Insiders said the studio still hopes to get the film on track for a December 25, 2018 release. The studio would not comment on how far along the production has gotten before Singer took this sabbatical, or whether the film will continue with him. Indications are the studio might wait for him to return.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And Singer gets his ass fired.. It’s funny how the people who hire you for a job get upset when you disappear for days on end.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And the hits keep on coming:
Bryan Singer’s production company, Bad Hat Harry, is vacating its offices on the lot of Twentieth Century Fox.

The move occurs in the wake of Singer’s firing from directing the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody.

Singer had a three-year first-look deal with the studio that concluded at the end of October. The deal was not renewed, but he was granted an extension allowing Bad Hat Harry to remain in the offices for the duration of the Rhapsody shoot.

However, that changed on Monday when Fox decided to terminate Singer's involvement in the film.
Singer responded to his firing by saying the studio would not allow him the time to deal with the illness of a parent.
It's never a good idea to keep your boss in the dark, especially when it embarrasses them publicly.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm really surprised that Singer hasn't been named in one of the sexual assault accusations recently. I've read numerous articles over the years claiming it was common knowledge around Hollywood that he was a fan of the really young.
Covfefe!
DD*

Post by DD* »

hepcat wrote:I'm really surprised that Singer hasn't been named in one of the sexual assault accusations recently. I've read numerous articles over the years claiming it was common knowledge around Hollywood that he was a fan of the really young.
The rumor I've read is that his casting couch had more to do with Fox cutting him loose than his work habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Isgrimnur

Re: [Film] Bohemian Rhapsody - Nov 02 '18

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
The release date for the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody, which has been going through some speed bumps with its directors, has been pushed up from December 25 to November 2 — the original release date for the X-Men sequel Dark Phoenix. Fans of the comic book franchise will have to sit tight as that one will now open on February 14, 2019.
Holman

Post by Holman »

If the movie turns out to be good (or even mixed but with some brilliant elements), a troubled production and near-collapse just becomes part of the Freddie Mercury legend.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im glad they dumped Cohen I cannot stand that guy. In fact I hate him SO much.

Trailer...

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jag

Post by Jag »

Looks great. Bummed Cohen isn't in it. He would have been absolutely amazing. He could channel Freddie.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jag wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:31 pm Looks great. Bummed Cohen isn't in it. He would have been absolutely amazing. He could channel Freddie.
Malek definitely has the look down, but Cohen would have been fantastic, too.

The fact that Daehawk hates him makes me realize even more how appropriate he would have been in the role.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:46 pm
Jag wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:31 pm Looks great. Bummed Cohen isn't in it. He would have been absolutely amazing. He could channel Freddie.

The fact that Daehawk hates him makes me realize even more how appropriate he would have been in the role.
I think that Cohen could have channeled Freddie's enthusiastic colorful mania pretty well. Malek may well be great as well - don't know him much.

My understanding is that things went south with Cohen because he wanted to get more into Freddie's personal troubles, while the (surviving) members of Queen did not.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think Cohen is brilliant, but he might have made the movie (or the surrounding media attention) more about Cohen than about Mercury. I would love to have seen it, though.

That trailer is pretty promising.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:17 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:46 pm

I think that Cohen could have channeled Freddie's enthusiastic colorful mania pretty well. Malek may well be great as well - don't know him much.

My understanding is that things went south with Cohen because he wanted to get more into Freddie's personal troubles, while the (surviving) members of Queen did not.
Yeah, that's my understanding of it as well after reading up on things some more today.
Hodor.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Meh, I would have been stoked for Cohen but this looks kinda almost watchable....when it comes to Amazon Prime or Netflix.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not a big fan of the actor. I've seen him in stuff and he's just very average.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Hard pass after learning about this tonight: completely skipping aids and only dealing with him when around women.

The fuck.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In the video trailer it shows him with a guy.
Rip

Post by Rip »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:15 pm Hard pass after learning about this tonight: completely skipping aids and only dealing with him when around women.

The fuck.
Makes sense. Totally explains why Cohen backed out.

Sounds like the rest of the band still can't accept who Freddie was.

Sad really would have been a great story if they actually kept it authentic.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seen it all. Whats wrong with just having an upbeat movie? Im hoping they dont even show his death. Just trail off at Live Aid or Wembley in 86.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:15 pm Hard pass after learning about this tonight: completely skipping aids and only dealing with him when around women.

The fuck.
Wiki does have an actor listed for Freddie's boyfriend.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The fuck.
You're talking about the whole movie, not just the trailer? It would be weird if they didn't get into his homosexuality at all.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The fuck.
My understanding is that complaint was only about the trailer (which includes a very brief shot of him with a guy) and promotional copy (which references a "life-threatening illness" without saying that it was AIDS). I'd be shocked if the movie was so blind.