Halloween movies for kids

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Halloween movies for kids

Post by Blackhawk »

'Tis the season, and my kids are old enough to start appreciating the Halloween culture. We have a 'movie night' every week or two, and I'd like some suggestions for some good Halloween movies to watch with the kids (7 and 9.) I'm not overly protective of them, and they're not easily frightened, so I'm not really looking for Disney style cutesy pumpkin movies, but they're also not ready to watch hardcore horror flicks.

I was thinking some of the Tim Burton stop motion movies would be a good start. What else?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Re: Halloween movies for kids

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hocus Pocus (1993)

And you might look at the Goosebumps series.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

What about Ghostbusters? That was always a Halloween classic for me.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The Worst Witch! ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUhuPn8_d0Q" target="_blank
God I think this movie ruined my mind.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

And for something actually useful. The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown is a must watch.

And yes I realize that probably falls into the Disney cutesy category but I don't care. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Mr. Boogedy? Monster Squad?
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

Definitely do The Nightmare Before Christmas.

I personally like to watch some Treehouse of Horror on Halloween but unfortunately Fox has yet to release a compilation of those shows (not a problem if you have the season DVDs). To my knowledge they've only released one DVD that inexplicably only has four episodes on it. They're good episodes, though, if your kids enjoy The Simpsons...

Oh, and how about The Mummy? I love the movie, personally. It does have some pretty creepy parts, like the scarabs crawling under the guys skin, so it's your call as to whether or not your children should watch it. It does have a comedic edge to it, though. The sequels aren't bad, either.

Or how about Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl or E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial? They may not be "Halloween" movies strictly, but they're good movies that can be spooky for younger children.
Last edited by BooTx on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Coraline

I haven't seen Something Wicked This Way Comes in a long time, but I recall it being pretty intense for a Disney film.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, Something Wicked This Way Comes is a favorite of mine, but it may be a bit too intense for the younger crowd, despite it's Disney lineage.

Did they ever ever make a PG or even G remake of I Spit On Your Grave?
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Did they ever ever make a PG or even G remake of I Spit On Your Grave?
A Nightmare on Elmo Street?
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

I seem to recall really liking Ernest Scared Stupid when I was around that age. It's a bit silly though. The Casper movie was pretty good. In fact, I still watch it once every few years. Little Monsters was a good one that was weird and fun. Stephen King's Silver Bullet is decent, though I only saw it once years ago so you might want to pre-watch it for content 'cause I can't remember how gory it was.

I know I used to watch a lot more when I was younger. I'll post them if I think of 'em.
Mr Bubbles

Post by Mr Bubbles »

The Legend of Sleep Hallow. Still a must see every Halloween.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

It's probably too old for them but the first R rated movie my kids saw was Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. The one with Johnny Depp, very scary but really no cursing or graphic sexuality.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I suppose they are a little too young for the true classics, Fright Night and The Lost Boys.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think Lost Boys wouldn't be too bad. It really pretty tame for horror movies... Fright Night would probably be going to far. Might as well throw in Aliens, Poltergeist and Exorcist as ones to skip unless you don't like sleeping alone.

Tommy20

Post by Tommy20 »

The Ghost & Mr. Chicken has been annual viewing for my (now) 6yo since he was 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufUgq1WQ ... re=related
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Monster Squad because children must be trained that wolfmen have nards.
Last edited by Combustible Lemur on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
CGMark

Post by CGMark »

I would second Nightmare Before X Mas. its a good movie, with great music and visuals.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Octavious230 wrote:I think Lost Boys wouldn't be too bad.
Whoa, slow down there pal. You really wanna come home one day to this?

He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are some good suggestions here, thanks. My kids aren't exactly 'delicate', far less so than I was at their age. They've already seen most of Buffy with plenty of gruesome walking dead, and they loved the Pirates of the Caribbean films, so something like Lost Boys wouldn't be an issue at all.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem »

The Halloween Tree.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mentioned it in some other thread, but I really don't think Lost Boys holds up. It really...did not age well.

I just remembered the made for TV movie, Dark Night of the Scarecrow which was recently released on DVD. I don't remember much about it other than being freaked out as a kid watching it.
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

You know, it was at about that age that I saw Stephen King's IT. I love that movie. You might consider it. It scared the crap out of me but I really enjoyed it at that age.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:I mentioned it in some other thread, but I really don't think Lost Boys holds up. It really...did not age well.

I just remembered the made for TV movie, Dark Night of the Scarecrow which was recently released on DVD. I don't remember much about it other than being freaked out as a kid watching it.
That and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark are considered two of the finest horror films television ever produced. They're remaking Don't Be Afraid for a 2011 release, but I'm hopeful since the screenplay is be Guillermo del Toro.
He won. Period.
CGMark

Post by CGMark »

Oh, i dont think I saw anyone mention, Corpse Bride. While IMO its not as good as Nightmare Before Christmas, its still pretty neat.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: That and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark are considered two of the finest horror films television ever produced. They're remaking Don't Be Afraid for a 2011 release, but I'm hopeful since the screenplay is be Guillermo del Toro.
Interesting. I don't think I've seen that; the clips online don't look familiar. It's also a bit before my time so maybe it wasn't being aired all that much anymore in the early 1980s.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Sabin Stargem wrote:The Halloween Tree.
If you can find a copy THIS. I loved it as a kid and it holds up amazingly well.

And I'll put another vote in for Coraline.
Debris

Post by Debris »

Beetlejuice.

My 8yo grandson loves that movie.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:
hepcat wrote: That and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark are considered two of the finest horror films television ever produced. They're remaking Don't Be Afraid for a 2011 release, but I'm hopeful since the screenplay is be Guillermo del Toro.
Interesting. I don't think I've seen that; the clips online don't look familiar. It's also a bit before my time so maybe it wasn't being aired all that much anymore in the early 1980s.
It scared the living crap out of me when I was a kid, but I'm afraid to try and find a copy and watch it as I've discovered that early '70's production - childhood + having seen texas chainsaw massacre and the exorcist = disappointment when it comes to horror. seriously, the only older film that still gives me the heebie jeebies is the original production of The Haunting.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Let the Right One In. Kiddie vampires.
Black Lives Matter
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

An American Werewolf in London.

I mean hell I saw it as a kid and I remember the experience and being scared out of my wits to this day, probably almost 30 years later. So give them a gift they'll remember for their entire life ;).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

cheeba wrote:An American Werewolf in London.

I mean hell I saw it as a kid and I remember the experience and being scared out of my wits to this day, probably almost 30 years later. So give them a gift they'll remember for their entire life ;).
Probably a bit gory for a 7 year old.

Coraline is great, but the buttons for eyes can be really disturbing for youngsters, if they can handle it, it's worth it.

I'll also second Nightmare before Christmas, Corpse Bride, and Monster House. For a couple of less gory, more PG/PG-13 movies - try Gremlins and Poltergeist (though Poltergeist could be a nightmare-fest - clowns anyone?).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Hopefully my suggestion doesn't end up on the second page because there is no reason that The Goonies shouldn't be one of the first ones mentioned.

Also, the following are available on netflix watch instantly:

Ghostbusters 2
Beetlejuice
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wallace & Grommit (a couple but not Curse of the Wererabbit)
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

James and the Giant peach? :)
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

Debris wrote:Beetlejuice.

My 8yo grandson loves that movie.
Nice fuckin' model! *honk* *honk*
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

BooTx wrote: Nice fuckin' model! *honk* *honk*
I want to say they actually edited that out when it was released on DVD - when it was decided at some point that a PG movie couldn't contain a single utterance of the F word. Regardless, I agree it's a classic.