Where do I put stamp on a postcard?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

MHS

Re: Where do I put stamp on a postcard?

Post by MHS »

I communicate via all those media as well, yet I can state as absolute fact that if I go home after work today and check my mailbox, and there is a postcard, letter, or card tucked in amidst the (limited because I do everything electronically) bills and junk mail, I am going to smile.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

MHS wrote:I communicate via all those media as well, yet I can state as absolute fact that if I go home after work today and check my mailbox, and there is a postcard, letter, or card tucked in amidst the (limited because I do everything electronically) bills and junk mail, I am going to smile.
not if it's from jeff you ain't....
He won. Period.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Exactly MHS, there is something about knowing that someone took a few extra minutes to let you know that they care or were thinking about you and took the time.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

silverjon wrote:People don't like getting junk mail. That's ridiculous. But receiving a personal letter or postcard or parcel is typically a pleasant experience.
I'm not sure I like getting letters or postcards any more.

Parcels rock though.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote:I'm not sure I like getting letters or postcards any more.

Parcels rock though.
Not at home. They always leave a note that is either going to be in inconvenience or ask for a set of instructions they never follow. I will never be at home to get a home delivery of anything.

Thank goodness for work delivery. It's one of the bright points to working in a cube farm.

What about packages? Do you like getting a good package?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The only packages I get are things I order, so they are expected.

If I got an unexpected package, I would probably leave it under Hepcat's porch and then observe it from a safe distance for 72 hours before just letting the bomb squad blow it up as they see fit.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote:The only packages I get are things I order, so they are expected.
i still feel kind of bad for jeff after reading through this thread. :cry:

we should buy him a puppy.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: we should buy him a puppy.
To terrorize the mailman so that I don't even get the packages I order? Thanks a lot! :P
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

hepcat wrote:

Just don't ship it to him. :(
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

MHS wrote:
hepcat wrote:

Just don't ship it to him. :(
Can you actually ship a puppy? I would imagine that you would need to use express services.

I keep imagining a box with 4 legs sticking out of it and running up to Jeff's house...and he's refusing to open the door.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:[

Can you actually ship a puppy?
You can try - but I wouldn't recommend it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Q Where do I put stamp on a postcard?
A You don't.
Aebleskivers
Ingredients:
4 eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
Powdered sugar to sprinkle over the finished goodies
Butter or margarine to make the pan surface nonstick

Equipment:

1 well-seasoned cast iron aebleskiver pan with seven half-round wells
1 10-inch-long segment of piano wire or 1 bamboo skewer
(Soak the tip in a glass of water before using.)
1 Chinese-style soupspoon

Directions:

Heat pan over medium heat while making the batter. Beat egg yolks with sugar and salt in a large bowl. Stir baking soda into the buttermilk. Then mix that with egg yolk mixture. Stir in the flour. Using a different bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Then fold in gently with the buttermilk mixture.

After making the batter, melt about 1/4 teaspoon of butter or margarine in each well. Use the Chinese-style soupspoon to scoop up the batter and fill each well about three-quarters of the way full. Make sure each spoonful of batter has some fluffy egg white in it.

Cook until bubbles form on the edge. Then, use the tip of the piano wire or bamboo skewer to gently turn the cooked part about a third of the way around to let the uncooked batter run out and fill the well. Again, cook until bubbles form on edge. Then, use the skewer to gently turn the aebleskiver all the way over onto the remaining uncooked batter.

Cook until totally done — about 3 to 4 minutes, when they turn a medium golden brown. Use the skewer again to lift each one out of the pan onto a warmed serving plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup or jam. Raspberry and/or apricot jam is the best.

Yield: 5 to 7 pans (about 42 individual aebleskivers), which can feed up to 6 people.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

What else do you expect from a 61-year-old luddite who still cooks on a stove?

I've never read a good recipe on a postcard.

There's enough fat in those Aebleskivers to kill an NFL linebacker.

The Space Needle is way overrated.

Etc, etc.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Where do I put stamp on a postcard?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Meal, it's like you live in some sort of Eerie, Indiana town. Does she sleep in a Tupperware container every night?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Meal, it's like you live in some sort of Eerie, Indiana town. Does she sleep in a Tupperware container every night?
I don't get the Tupperware question, but maybe he name was Mary Jane?
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I haven't thought about that show in years, but I totally get the reference. Aye yi.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D Glad someone got it. Thanks, silverjon.

For those not in the know, it's from this show episode 1. Full recap
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote::D Glad someone got it. Thanks, silverjon.

Now available on NetFlix streaming!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Z-Corn wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote::D Glad someone got it. Thanks, silverjon.

Now available on NetFlix streaming!
nice, thanks! i have always wanted to see this show as I missed it when it was originally aired.
He won. Period.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Hey, postcards, that's an idea. If you would like a postcard from my trip this year, PM me your address and I'll make sure to send you one.

If I see any duplicates, I will assume you're all sending me Jeff V's address (and will definitely send those first!)

Or follow my blog (link in sig) for the modern completely impersonal equivalent. BOOOOORRRRRIINGGGG! :P
Twitter: joerumz
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tiny ogre wrote:Hey, postcards, that's an idea. If you would like a postcard from my trip this year, PM me your address and I'll make sure to send you one.

If I see any duplicates, I will assume you're all sending me Jeff V's address (and will definitely send those first!)

Or follow my blog (link in sig) for the modern completely impersonal equivalent. BOOOOORRRRRIINGGGG! :P
How do you propose to make your post cards more informative than your blog? Or should we be setting awfully low expectations for your blog? :P
Black Lives Matter
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Impersonal != uninformative.

Postcards are more personal. The blog is (hopefully) more informative.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm in. No obligation but if you get around to it, cool!
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tiny ogre wrote:Impersonal != uninformative.

Okay, so tell me how a post card is going to be less boring than your blog (since you seem to set expectations that it will be boring!)
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote:

Okay, so tell me how a post card is going to be less boring than your blog (since you seem to set expectations that it will be boring!)
It's like talking to HAL 9000. :D
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:
Jeff V wrote:

Or Sheldon from Big Bang Theory... who may be modeled after HAL... or at least Spock.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

coopasonic wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Jeff V wrote:

Or Sheldon from Big Bang Theory... who may be modeled after HAL... or at least Spock.
I'll have a go. Sheldon, I mean Jeff, the BOORRRIIINNNGG was there to make light of the theme of this thread, that postcards are, or are not, still relevant in an age of electronic communication. By stating that a blog is boring, implying that a postcard is not, I am trying to encourage people to send me their address, and also having fun with people who have strong opinions about it either way.

Also, everyone and their brother has a blog (which is clearly not true since my brother doesn't, and isn't even on Facebook, but stop quibbling already!), so the fact that I have one, regardless of the quality of the blog, is BOOORRRRIIINNGGGG, whereas seemingly fewer people send postcards, or at least send them far less often than they blog/twitter/facebook their every thought, making them at the very least a novelty, and possibly something actually interesting.
LawBeefaroni wrote:I'm in. No obligation but if you get around to it, cool!
Great! Don't forget to actually send me your address so I know where to send it.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

Where is Bad Demographic to organize a Postcard Exchange when you really need her?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

TO, as far as I'm concerned (and presumably the non-postcard sending people in my life, which happens to be all of them), the difference is between "this is cool, here is what some guy saw" and "this is cool, here is what I saw!" While a blog is probably the most efficient way to communicate a journal of the trip to all your family and friends, emailed pictures with a personal message is still more personal than that picture of what some guy saw (or didn't see but Photoshopped).

But I understand some people actually like sending and/or receiving Xmas cards, which to me is an unpleasant ritual chore that really needs to go away. Until this thread, I had assumed post cards already had. :P
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote:TO, as far as I'm concerned (and presumably the non-postcard sending people in my life, which happens to be all of them), the difference is between "this is cool, here is what some guy saw" and "this is cool, here is what I saw!" While a blog is probably the most efficient way to communicate a journal of the trip to all your family and friends, emailed pictures with a personal message is still more personal than that picture of what some guy saw (or didn't see but Photoshopped).
Postcards no longer have the same symbolism they did in 1975. The focus of a card isn't the front anymore. But they still have interest to some people. That's just how it is, it's not something that can really be debated.

MYT