Smart phones for stupid people

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Smart phones for stupid people

Post by Isgrimnur »

We have one at Malibu Speedzone and one at Six Flags.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill add the singing antics were embarrassing while trying to eat. Cant we just get a nostalgic 50s diner eatery without silliness? I dont think they did all that crap while you ate in the 50s.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

We're discussing fast food in a topic about smartphones? :)

In San Francisco we have a sit-down diner called Mel's Drive-in franchise. Multiple locations, kinda oldies feel

https://melsdrive-in.com/

Personally, I think their stuff's a bit on the expensive side, but they're okay.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:09 pm We're discussing fast food in a topic about smartphones? :)
There oughtta be a law -- you know, like Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of comparing fast food restaurants approaches 1".
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:17 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:09 pm We're discussing fast food in a topic about smartphones? :)
There oughtta be a law -- you know, like Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of comparing fast food restaurants approaches 1".
With a corollary that it shortly devolves into a discussion of Chick-fil-A gay bashing.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not sure but this seemed like a good thread to put this in......Can someone recommend a app for Android that scans those little square codes on everything? Not bar codes the other things. I tried one rated well but it would not read crap and it wanted a ton of permissions like to use my contacts and all kinds of shit it doesn't need.
stessier

Post by stessier »

They are called QR codes. I don't have a recommendation though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:54 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:17 pm
With a corollary that it shortly devolves into a discussion of Chick-fil-A gay bashing.
Sounds like something Hitler would do.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:22 pm Not sure but this seemed like a good thread to put this in......Can someone recommend a app for Android that scans those little square codes on everything? Not bar codes the other things. I tried one rated well but it would not read crap and it wanted a ton of permissions like to use my contacts and all kinds of shit it doesn't need.
Barcode scanners ask for permissions to read your contacts because there IS such a thing as sharing contacts via QR code. Just try a couple of different apps and keep whichever one does the best job at reading the code.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:22 pm Not sure but this seemed like a good thread to put this in......Can someone recommend a app for Android that scans those little square codes on everything? Not bar codes the other things. I tried one rated well but it would not read crap and it wanted a ton of permissions like to use my contacts and all kinds of shit it doesn't need.
I personally use this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ereaderapp

They're called QR (Quick Response) codes.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

QR codes...thanks guys. Also Kasey Ill check that one out ty.

Ok tried that one. its quick but loaded with adds. It scans then I can open the link. But have to tell it 2 or 3 times to continue that I don't want drop box or some other scanner installed over and over.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Check if your regular camera app will read barcodes. I think they combined Google Goggles into Camera in Android 9 or later.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is just 7.1.1
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There is no Google Lens.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

You can download Google lens as a separate app.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hrothgar wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:57 am You can download Google lens as a separate app.
It wont download...says my device is not compatible.
stessier

Post by stessier »

There may not be a suitable app given your operating system and requirements.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:10 pm See if this one has any ads...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nt.android
This is actually the one I've been using for years. I know some of the more recent reviews complain that it has ads or pop-ups or something, but I actually haven't seen any of that. I don't use it very often, though.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I remember using it on my older phones myself.

Apparently there's an offshoot from the original programmers.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... bs.android
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My phone has developed a vexing problem, most likely because I changed a setting. I use an app called Endomondo to track my walks. Lately, it stops accessing GPS when the phone goes to sleep (Do Not Disturb screen comes on). The app itself is still running, as evidenced by its elapsed time counter, but it loses position. The next time I wake up my phone, Endo draws a straight line from its last known location to its current location, meaning that I'm tracking distance as the crow flies for much of my walk.

How do I allow Endo to keep using GPS when the phone is asleep? I've been playing around with power saving and location settings, but can't find the magic combination. Under Device Care > Battery, the Power Mode is Optimized. Under App Power Management, I have Adaptive Battery and "Put unused apps to sleep" both activated. I added Endo to "Apps that won't be put to sleep." Under Location > App Permissions, Endo is in "Allowed all the time." What am I missing?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Check with Big Brother, he is always monitoring.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:09 pm My phone has developed a vexing problem, most likely because I changed a setting. I use an app called Endomondo to track my walks. Lately, it stops accessing GPS when the phone goes to sleep (Do Not Disturb screen comes on).
Did you leave GPS in high precision mode?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:33 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:09 pm My phone has developed a vexing problem, most likely because I changed a setting. I use an app called Endomondo to track my walks. Lately, it stops accessing GPS when the phone goes to sleep (Do Not Disturb screen comes on).
Did you leave GPS in high precision mode?
I think so. What's that under?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

My iPhone suddenly decided none of my music is playable:

Enlarge Image

This after pulling my hair out trying to deal with putting music on the phone with iTunes.

I'm done with Apple. Putting music on a phone should be basic functionality, not a onerous process that only occasionally works properly.

I need recommendations for an Android phone. The last time I used Android was probably 2010 and the experience was terrible.

My priorities are:

-Lots of storage and easy transfer of my .MP3 files
-I'm leaning toward either a Samsung or a Google Nexus but I don't know much about the options.

Anyone have an Android phone they recommend?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It says you need to "reset iTunes warnings"

https://macreports.com/this-song-is-not ... egion-fix/

But it seems what Apple did was replaced your music with its own copy. Except their license status can change at any time.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I have a really old phone (Samsung Galaxy S5), so it just can't keep up anymore due to outdated hardware. But I really like their product line, so my next phone will also be a Galaxy.

I certainly never have any issues putting mp3 files on my phone...that's what the microSD card is for.

The only part about Android that really bugs me is that a few OS versions back they essentially killed the ability to install apps to external storage (all in the name of "security"...I say it's in the name of forcing customers to upgrade). Some apps will let you move them but the moment the app is updated, it just moves itself back to internal storage. Since my phone only came with 16GB of internal storage, I'm down to <500MB of space at any given time.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gilraen wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:21 pm I have a really old phone (Samsung Galaxy S5), so it just can't keep up anymore due to outdated hardware. But I really like their product line, so my next phone will also be a Galaxy.

I certainly never have any issues putting mp3 files on my phone...that's what the microSD card is for.

The only part about Android that really bugs me is that a few OS versions back they essentially killed the ability to install apps to external storage (all in the name of "security"...I say it's in the name of forcing customers to upgrade). Some apps will let you move them but the moment the app is updated, it just moves itself back to internal storage. Since my phone only came with 16GB of internal storage, I'm down to <500MB of space at any given time.
My S7 allows me to store apps on the SD card, as long as the developers allow it. Every few weeks I need to do this with the apps my son keeps installing. Still, that phone is getting long in the tooth and since my company eliminated our internet stipend ($20/mo) , I'm inclined to stop using my personal phone for company business and having them buy me the next shiny-new; just because I can.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

gilraen wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:21 pm I certainly never have any issues putting mp3 files on my phone...that's what the microSD card is for.
The only part about Android that really bugs me is that a few OS versions back they essentially killed the ability to install apps to external storage (all in the name of "security"...
Not quite true. Most apps *can* be installed to external storage, but not the "whole" app, just portions that the developer says can live on the external, and some developers say "none". And a portion will ALWAYS live in the main storage.

And later Android versions have created "adoptable storage", which makes the 'external" storage a bit more "permanent".. . to the point that if you take out the SD card your phone will stop working, as it's considered system storage now.

https://www.androidcentral.com/adoptable-storage
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:40 pm
gilraen wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:21 pm I certainly never have any issues putting mp3 files on my phone...that's what the microSD card is for.
The only part about Android that really bugs me is that a few OS versions back they essentially killed the ability to install apps to external storage (all in the name of "security"...
Not quite true. Most apps *can* be installed to external storage, but not the "whole" app, just portions that the developer says can live on the external, and some developers say "none". And a portion will ALWAYS live in the main storage.
If at least a portion of it actually stayed on the external storage, that would be (almost) fine. But the whole app moves itself fully to the internal storage every time it updates itself. So I go through the list - manually - and move it back to the external storage. Maybe it works better with later versions of Android.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm loving the Galaxy S10 that I just got (with one small exception that isn't relevant here). With 128 GB built-in and a 512 GB card soon to be added, there is no lack of storage space for MP3s. I still have 50 GB free after moving over my whole music collection. That's something like 8,000 songs. And I haven't even bought an SD card yet.
dfs

Post by dfs »

Kraken wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:39 am I'm loving the Galaxy S10 that I just got (with one small exception that isn't relevant here). With 128 GB built-in and a 512 GB card soon to be added, there is no lack of storage space for MP3s. I still have 50 GB free after moving over my whole music collection. That's something like 8,000 songs. And I haven't even bought an SD card yet.
Now see? If you had an iphone you would be confident that you shouldn't put data on the phone because their damn os will use it all sooner or later.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dfs wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:44 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:39 am I'm loving the Galaxy S10 that I just got (with one small exception that isn't relevant here). With 128 GB built-in and a 512 GB card soon to be added, there is no lack of storage space for MP3s. I still have 50 GB free after moving over my whole music collection. That's something like 8,000 songs. And I haven't even bought an SD card yet.
Now see? If you had an iphone you would be confident that you shouldn't put data on the phone because their damn os will use it all sooner or later.
I haven't deleted crapware yet, either. Probably can free up a few gigs that way. I wonder if it will let me kill Bixby.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

My phone decided I'm so slow that I must be on bicycle so it tried sending me around on bike paths. :doh:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO