Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Illness Incoming

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Jaddison

Re: Illness Incoming

Post by Jaddison » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 am

Jeff V wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:40 am
Jaymann wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:06 pm
I have been fighting off a cold (started with possible strep throat) for the last week. Today I lost my voice. :(
Oh, so you're just getting started! Welcome to the growing club.

I'm more than 2 months into this. Still hacking up my lungs several times per day, and they seem to regenerate overnight, which is good I guess. Lots of sinus congestion. Kids manage to ooze twice their body weight in snot each and every day. The other night, my 4 year old started yelling at his cough because it was keeping him up hours on end. My wife is getting despondent...she wants to switch to overnight shift and remove the 4 year old from school (permanently) in an attempt to get him, and possibly the rest of us since he's the suspected disease vector, better. My wife and I have been suffering sinus headaches, and this plague has caused each of us to miss a couple of days of work over the past 2 months. About 6 weeks ago, she took the kids to the doctor and is doing so again on Monday. These being cold symptoms (lack of fever suggestions we're not suffering any systemic infections), there's not a lot he can do about it. Last time he suggested OTC allergy meds but that had no effect. It's unlikely all 4 of us would suddenly be allergic to the same thing anyway.
This may seem like an odd question- is it possible you all are allergic to your house? Perhaps a mold or something else that is impacting you all? I say this because I once dated a woman who had a house that every time I went there my eyes would get red and scratchy and if I stayed there overnight I basically felt like I had the flu. The clue was that it went away after I left within an hour but I could imagine that if I lived there it would have hammered me into the ground.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:19 pm

I don't think that's an odd question at all, if all of them are having the same problem for such an extended period of time.
Hodor.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:06 pm

The house is 5 years old and underwent an inspection when we bought it over the summer. No indication of mold was found.

I get no respite out of the house either, I'm just as miserable in my office.

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:13 pm

might be worth checking since you are all be affected and for an extended period. Mold or some other irritant doesn't take all that long to flourish once it starts.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:40 pm

I still think the problem is with my little disease vectors, especially the 4 year old who spends 3 days a week /10 hours per day in preschool.

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:53 pm

Children are remarkable carriers of illness. They have no concept of cleanliness and freely swap mucus as a matter of standard practice. It does seem to get better as the kids get older, but for the first year that each child mingled with other children, we seemed perpetually sick.

It gets more fun when the school sends out flu alerts, or better yet, lice alerts.

Hell, this winter the school "gave" our 6 year old a hat out of lost and found when he misplaced his. The result was a nice dance with headlice a week later. F#&#. At least when the flu is done with you, you don't need to scour the house, launder everything, and spend weeks checking heads for recurrences.

After the second time it happened, I was tempted to shave our kids' head and call it done. Apparently some little gremlin's parents couldn't figure out how to fix the problem and kept sending them to school to contaminate the other kids over and over.
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: Mordor: Shadow of War, Curious Expedition

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Fortunately, my son kind of digs what we call "the Shaolin look." :D

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:16 pm

Wife came down with my or similar illness on Friday night. Reports from home today are that the MIL picked up a stomach bug.

And my coworkers can attest today that I'm still a little punchy.
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 am

WARNING: Virus detected
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 am

I hope you're okay - and not trapped on a cruise ship.
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: Mordor: Shadow of War, Curious Expedition

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 am

It's my turn for the cough and congestion that's making the rounds. Just in time for a business trip to Orlando. Ugh.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 am

I've been down since Christmas, though still working. Ugh. Got on the Z Pack and Steroids on Tuesday. Last night was the first night I wasn't coughing and choking all night while laying down in a couple of weeks and my voice came back yesterday. I usually try and tough out colds but this one happened coincidentally with a doctor visit who took one list to my lungs and said nope. Take these and come back in a week for a blood draw and a flew shot.

Luck to the rest of you.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:53 am

Wife stayed home sick last night, and I had to WFH in the afternoon to let her rest. Thought it was the flu, but today she is complaining of tonsillitis and sore throat. I gave her Chloraseptic and she complained it tasted bad. Still probably flu...she works in healthcare and somehow avoided getting a flu shot. :x