Stargate - all of it - done for good.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kyosho

Stargate - all of it - done for good.

Post by Kyosho »

From Gateworld:
Don’t expect to see Stargate Universe — or any other part of the franchise — come blazing back on television or DVD. At least not in the near future.

Stargate writer, executive producer and mastermind Brad Wright took the stage earlier today at Creation Entertainment’s Official Stargate Convention in Vancouver, British Columbia and proceeded to update and clear the air on the fate of the latest series, Stargate Universe.

“We just recently found out that the SGU movie is not going to happen,” Wright said during his stage panel today. “It took too long. We just couldn’t get it together in time, and the window has closed. It’s actually sad for me, because after 17 years, I’m cleaning out my desk tomorrow morning.”

The capacity crowd at the Metrotown Hilton in Burnaby listened in silence, with some attendees visibly in tears, as Wright waxed reminiscently on the almost two decades worth of the franchise he’s had a hand in creating.

“It was a great ride and I felt really good about [SGU] and about Stargate in general,” Wright continued. “When something’s been a part of your life for 15 years, it kind of takes you over.”

“There are moments I’m so proud of and remember with fondness. I really enjoyed the last day of shooting ‘Unending’ [SG-1's series finale]. And I enjoyed every day on the set of Stargate Continuum. I’m very paternal and I love watching people become great at their jobs. I’m so proud of the pier scene [in Atlantis' Season Five episode 'The Shrine']. Joe [Flanigan] was so powerful in those scenes.”

Wright also confirmed that the proposed Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis movies have been permanently shelved, along with another movie idea he had been trying to get a greenlight on, which would have combined and involved cast members of all three series. Scripts for the first two of those projects, tentatively titled Stargate: Revolution and Stargate: Extinction (respectively), were completed well over a year ago.

What does this news mean for the future of the Stargate brand and the franchise? In the short-term, there are no plans to begin production on anything Stargate-related. But it’s a situation Wright doesn’t see as final — even if he’s not a part of it.

“It’s a franchise. Stargate is not over,” he said. “Somebody smart from MGM is going to figure it out, and something will happen.” Wright said, adding that he’s embracing the chance and prospect of writing material that isn’t Stargate related, and will be actively working on other pilots.
hepcat

Re: Stargate - all of it - done for good.

Post by hepcat »

Stargate: Universe is the only entry in the franchise I've ever watched more than a couple of episodes. Still, I'm sure it'll return someday in some form. They all do.
He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

hepcat wrote:Stargate: Universe is the only entry in the franchise I've ever watched more than a couple of episodes.
That's really unfortunate. The most mediocre episodes of SG-1 or Atlantis were generally better, IMO, than the majority of SG:U's episodes. And the best episodes of the earlier series blew away anything I ever saw on SG:U (though I admit that I'm not watching this final half-season just now. My TiVo missed the first episode and it doesn't seem to have been re-aired yet, so I'm holding onto the final episodes until I have them all).
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

I think you'll be happy once you start watching the second half of season 2. There's been a couple of phenomenal episodes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What I saw of the original series (admittedly, less than a half dozen episodes at most) left me extremely unimpressed. I tried watching the first few of Atlantis and was even less impressed. They just came across as sci fi by the numbers. Every iteration (with the exception of Universe) even went so far as to have their very own Klingon.

Universe at least has some nice changes to the formula: they use aliens so sparingly that when they do appear, they're more interesting because of that; and the stories are more about normal folks just wanting to get home.
He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

hepcat wrote:Every iteration even went so far as to have their very own Klingon.
That doesn't fit with my recollection of either series, though the earlier episodes of SG-1's first season did tend to be more "planet of the week" affairs. But whatever, I'm not trying to convert you, just expressing my opinion that you missed some really terrific TV in favor of a series that never really seemed to figure out what it was doing.
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

But it does figure it out for the most part, if you watch those episodes. Unfortunately, it got canceled right when it got really good.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Shame. I would have liked to have seen an actual sequel to the theatrical movie. I didn't like any of the series as they seemed to milk the franchise dry and didn't particularly care for the direction they were going in. The original movie I felt was really interesting, something the series couldn't quite accomplish in my eyes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I enjoyed the original series, as much because of the casts chemistry as anything else. It was sci-fi, adventure with a little humor mixed in.
Black Lives Matter
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I never really cared for SG:A that much because it felt to me like a carbon-copy of SG-1, just different characters and setting. Still, you had a cocky, unconventional commanding officer, a collection of eggheads, a strong female character, a brooding "alien" tough guy, a race of nefarious alien villains out to conquer the galaxy, etc. In the end if seemed that's what SG fans wanted though... more of the same.

I enjoyed SG:U because it tried to be different. I liked that they took their time and developed the story gradually, although I think that turned off a lot of SG fans. Too many episodes spent on a dark ship fretting over power supply and life support, not enough aliens and space battles. SG:U *has* gotten to the more space-opera like stuff and I've really enjoyed this final season... it's gotten *really* good IMO. I'm really sad to see it's going.

Has anyone read if SG:U managed to wrap up its story in some way, or if it just ends?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daveman wrote:
Has anyone read if SG:U managed to wrap up its story in some way, or if it just ends?
Pretty sure it just ends. The OP mentions a movie deal that fell through. I've got 4 or 5 episodes on the DVR and no incentive to watch them, knowing it's pointless.

Like there's a point to watching any TV show anyway....

It wasn't great sf, but it was good enough to deserve closure at least.
disarm

Post by disarm »

tonight's episode was pretty incredible and opens up one hell of an interesting storyline...one that i guess we'll never really see...
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

Wow, yeah, that was pretty awesome. I kinda called it, except..
Spoiler:
Except for the time bit. I assumed the gate had jumped and those people from the other timeline got dumped out at another gate nearby. But I didn't think it'd be way in the past.
Damn this has so much potential. This series got canceled at the worst possible time! ARGHHHH!

:cry:
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I liked SG:U early on because they were reacting the way I would react. We need food/water/power. Can we control the ship? Who's in control here? Are we going to die out here?

Unfortunately, it didn't resonate enough with all of the SG-1/SG:A folks. I liked SG-1 a lot (have the whole collection), but SG:A seemed too similar to hook me (although I watched the first two seasons). SG:U tried to portray people in a scary situation with seriousness and made it very involving to me.

It saddens me that we won't get another season, or even a conclusion.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I agree with everything Buatha said. Except I watched all of Atlantis and was highly annoyed when they canceled it just as they reached the syndication mark. I guess that was kinder than what they did with Stargate Universe.
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

I picked up the SG-1 box set cheap a two months back and blazed through 7 seasons since then. I'm now also combining Season 8 with season 1 of Atlantis. I've watched three episodes of SGA so far, but I'm not terribly keen on the setting or the characters really.

It took SG1 a while to kick in, does the same hold true for SGA?

No major spoilers please.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I actually ended up enjoying ST:A far more than any other series. Once McKay and Sheppard get their rapport going it really takes off.

I'd give it a little time.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I finished SG-1 S8 a while ago. Atlantis S1 is my bike time entertainment at the gym. It will likely be January before I move back to SG-1 S9.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Odin

Post by Odin »

ChaoZ wrote:I picked up the SG-1 box set cheap a two months back and blazed through 7 seasons since then. I'm now also combining Season 8 with season 1 of Atlantis. I've watched three episodes of SGA so far, but I'm not terribly keen on the setting or the characters really.

It took SG1 a while to kick in, does the same hold true for SGA?

No major spoilers please.
To the best of my recall, I liked SG:A right from the beginning or very early on. Considering that I didn't really care for the last couple seasons of SG-1 (those post-O'Neil), I definitely ended up preferring SG:A to the episodes of SG-1 that were running concurrently. At its best, I don't think it quite matches the zenith of SG-1, but it comes pretty damn close at times, both in story arc, individual episodes, and especially the characters, several of whom I REALLY liked.

I just recently discovered that SG:U is on Netflix InstantWatch, which alleviates one barrier I had to finishing that series. I had TiVo'd the final half-season or whatever it was, but I'd somehow missed the first episode and had a hell of a time tracking down exactly which ep I'd missed. By the time I was sure I had them all, I'd lost interest in watching it. I suppose I'll finally get it done, then I'll be done for good.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I loved SH1 and SGA. only watched the first 2 eps of SGU. I really missed both SG1 and SGA when they went off...especially O'Neil eps of SG1. Atlantis had really good special effects too.

This reminds me I still need to watch the movies that came out after the series. I don't know how the Ori arc ended lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"