Bitcoin: Censorship-Resistant Digital P2P Currency

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: Bitcoin: Censorship-Resistant Digital P2P Currency

Post by stessier »

SELL!!!!

Edit: Drat, top of a new page. Eh, probably funnier without the direct reference.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote:SELL!!!!
Every investor's dilemma considering the price has now quadrupled since my post:

Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Moliere wrote:
stessier wrote:SELL!!!!
Every investor's dilemma considering the price has now quadrupled since my post:

Enlarge Image
I actually invested into Ethereum, around end of January. Went to a session of cryptocurrency, and with 0 interested prior to that day in it. By the end of that day, i was investor.
I didnt put much in, but enough to feel the difference. It went up about 8x since then.

Ripple is interesting, but i dont know it fundamentals. Did you put good amount into it?

I know pretty well the fundamentals of ethereum, and they are very promising.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Matrix wrote:Ripple is interesting, but i dont know it fundamentals. Did you put good amount into it?

I know pretty well the fundamentals of ethereum, and they are very promising.
I heard that more and more banks are adopting Ripple's blockchain for payments. I have enough invested to make it interesting without causing me stress if it goes down. But as it rises (currently at $0.150870 or 5x my original posting in this thread) it's hard not to get excited.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Yep, we are in the middle of bull run right now. I have been going to number blockchain and cyber currency events over last few month. There is over all excitement, so that's good at least for this type of investment.
I try to look at the fundamentals, such us ethereum's smart contracts and a lot of automation that can be built on blockchain tech, it allows high flexibility for developers without need to change core frame work, strong leadership of the founding team. This have lead to adaption from big institutions across industries and fueling current meteoric rise. The question becomes, how long to hold, and how long to keep riding the wave. I have a number in mind for partial exit, but it also depends on the upside potential. If it his 100$ mark much faster then i precipitated, so i need to adjust my exit based on over all excitement (hype) and adaption. And i right now, there doesnt seem to be slow down to excitement.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Matrix wrote:there doesnt seem to be slow down to excitement.
Just in the time I was sleeping and my last post it has gone up to $0.226709. :pop:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Moliere wrote:Just in the time I was sleeping and my last post it has gone up to $0.226709. :pop:
If I were in at .03 and it went to .22 I would sell 50% increasing my initial investment by 250% and still retain half of the investment letting the chips fall where they may.

I'm not brave or wealthy enough to put any money in alternative currencies, nor do I know how.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

LordMortis wrote:
Moliere wrote:Just in the time I was sleeping and my last post it has gone up to $0.226709. :pop:
If I were in at .03 and it went to .22 I would sell 50% increasing my initial investment by 250% and still retain half of the investment letting the chips fall where they may.

I'm not brave or wealthy enough to put any money in alternative currencies, nor do I know how.
I'm treating this like a lottery ticket. Selling now might give me some extra cash, but would have minimal impact on my life. But if over the next couple of years the price goes to $3 or even $30, well now we're talking serious life changing money.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Moliere, just keep your ear on the news for Ripple. It might be multi year investment or 6 month, since Ripple is not like Bitcoin. A lot will be driven by adaption.
My strategy is same as yours, sitting on it for a while, potentially making a sale but only if i see fundamentals of ethereum in danger, otherwise it might be multi year ride for me as well.
LM , initially i also wanted to sell about 30% but like Moliere, it just doesnt make much difference in short run, and it make significant life impact in long run. I dont see end of the run in the near future, since blockchain tech is hotter then ever and it continues to pick up speed.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Matrix wrote:Moliere, just keep your ear on the news for Ripple.
Good suggestion. I setup my first ever Google alert and already received this notice:

Korean bitcoin exchange Coinone announces launch of Ripple (XRP) trading
Announced new today from South Korea-based bitcoin exchange Coinone is notice of the official launch of Ripple (XRP) trading. The date of listing will be next Monday, May 15th.

Ripple (XRP) is a unique encryption currency used in the ‘Ripple protocol’, which is emerging as a next-generation global payment network. Through this token and Ripple’s distributed financial technology, anyone in the world can send payments in seconds and cross-border.

KRW and SGD currencies will be supported in transactions to deposit into XRP. Margin trading is expected to open sometime in the future with support from only KRW.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Matrix wrote:Moliere, just keep your ear on the news for Ripple. It might be multi year investment or 6 month, since Ripple is not like Bitcoin. A lot will be driven by adaption.
My strategy is same as yours, sitting on it for a while, potentially making a sale but only if i see fundamentals of ethereum in danger, otherwise it might be multi year ride for me as well.
How did you decide/research between Ethereum and Ethereum Classic?
Have you researched other currencies? I was thinking about diversification and the only other one that fits my criteria (price, circulating supply, volume) is Stellar Lumens.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Moliere wrote:
Matrix wrote:Moliere, just keep your ear on the news for Ripple. It might be multi year investment or 6 month, since Ripple is not like Bitcoin. A lot will be driven by adaption.
How did you decide/research between Ethereum and Ethereum Classic?
Have you researched other currencies? I was thinking about diversification and the only other one that fits my criteria (price, circulating supply, volume) is Stellar Lumens.
Ethereum Classica is joke, all backing behind Ethereum. I found it out at event here in NY, and i asked same question to the guy on stage. There is no backing behind ETC besides the Ethereum momentum, all development is happening on Ethereum.
I haven't looked into other currencies, since i am focusing on the blockchain part of it.
But i did go to an event where one guy invests and trades actively. According to him, he expects to lose 70% of his investments but makes money on 30% that really pop. He also mentioned that there is very little upside in top 20 coins unless willing to put good amount of $. He was looking into newer coins. In his opinion, the development team was most important part of his investment decision.
Unless there is very strong reason for SL to move, most coins right now is pretty high up.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Oh ya, the way i diversify is i buy ethereum domains :). In fact they just announced .eth extension, and i bought bunch of Ethereum domains in January. Worked out pretty well, already had offer on one of the names.
.ETH is going for insane prices. Take a look if curious .https://ens.codetract.io/ They are not really spending all that money, but it is being reserved. Some domains went for few million.
I am staying away from .eth domains, i just get the ETH version of .com. For example music.eth is not available yet on .eth, but it will be at some poinat. And i am sure it will go for a lot. So i got few dozen of very good domains. Example: MusicETH.com
So if somebody puts 3000 of ethereum into .ETH, they might throw-in 30 for .com :)
I done domains for bunch of years, so i know the field pretty well. Generally no good .com is ever available, almost all on after market auctions. But in this case , a bunch was available. I am treating it as option, if it doesnt go , not big deal. In one year will know, and re-asses the trend. So far its looking much better since end of Jan, when i was buying. I didnt even realize till recently there was Ethere domain initiative.
The functionality of .eth is basically it is built on top of ethereum core, so it sinks into main ethereum network. Which means all blockchain apps can potentially communicate with domain. It is built as smart contract, so all the domain spread happens automatically, there is no supervision. Pretty awesome as a concept. So people are going crazy about it.
I personally think .ETH is stupid, and probably will be giant cash sink for people, but i know enough about domain field and blockchain field, that as combination it works out well.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

That's a whole other level of speculation that I don't want to stress over.

I can say that Japan and Korea have recently added Ripple to a couple of their exchanges which probably explains the current 8 fold increase in XRP: $0.246022. We'll see how long the current bubble lasts or if more people continue to fuel the speculation.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere wrote:Anyone looking at other currencies like Ripple?

At the current price of $0.03 each it makes for a nice longshot gamble. One of those investments that I refer to as buy it and forget it for 10 years.
It is officially up 10 fold since my original post less than 4 weeks ago. So hard not to be greedy (i.e., cowardly) and just sell.

$0.308598
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Moliere wrote:
Moliere wrote:Anyone looking at other currencies like Ripple?

At the current price of $0.03 each it makes for a nice longshot gamble. One of those investments that I refer to as buy it and forget it for 10 years.
It is officially up 10 fold since my original post less than 4 weeks ago. So hard not to be greedy (i.e., cowardly) and just sell.

$0.308598
Haha, the best part of it was "long shot" gamble, it was 4 weeks ago. Your long shot paid off :)
Its on the run and skyrocketing. Congrats!
Even ethereum took 4 month to go up 8x , so 10x in 1 month is nice !
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Swang by an event yesterday on Ripple, i missed most of it but spoke to speaker after the event He said he has no idea why Ripple is going up that fast, since majority of currency it is actually is held by the founders and not in circulation, and the good news that coming out is disproportionate to rocket growth it is seeing. Aka news is good, but growth is multiples beyond good.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Matrix wrote:Swang by an event yesterday on Ripple, i missed most of it but spoke to speaker after the event He said he has no idea why Ripple is going up that fast, since majority of currency it is actually is held by the founders and not in circulation, and the good news that coming out is disproportionate to rocket growth it is seeing. Aka news is good, but growth is multiples beyond good.
Here are four reasons to explain Ripple's growth:

Expanding XRP's availability into Korean exchanges.
Expanding XRP's availability into Japanese exchanges.
Continuing to expand Ripple's blockchain cross border transaction confirmations with commercial banks. They proved themselves faster and less expensive than Swift in a recent demonstration.
And probably most important for the immediate investor: Ripple Pledges to Lock Up $14 Billion in XRP Cryptocurrency
Distributed financial technology firm Ripple is on the verge of locking up billions of dollars worth of its native XRP cryptocurrency inside dozens of smart contracts designed to hold value in escrow until a certain time, or certain conditions are met.

The move to voluntarily freeze its own assets in escrow contracts is designed to combat fears that Ripple might flood its booming market with some of the $16bn worth of cryptocurrency it currently stores and that resulted from holding large amounts of its own currency that hasn't been made available to the public.
By limiting the supply of XRP inventory the investor doesn't have to worry about the market getting flooded.

I think all of those things combined explain the current growth. It has been steady growth (currently at $0.382222) as each news article builds the positive expectation for it's long-term viability. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into what I want to hear. :ninja:

My current idea is to have a stop-limit order in place and adjust it up as the price increases. That will protect me from a sudden run on the value since it trades 24/7.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Ethereum is about to break out, there is huge conferences rest of this week and next week. Go ether go!
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

in 3 days it went from 88 to 168 per ether. And likely will keep going up, as news are coming fast.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The Creator of JavaScript Just Launched a Cryptocurrency to Improve Online Ads
Online advertising is broken, and broken in a way that's not just inefficient, but invasive of privacy and corrosive to the quality of the whole web experience. Ads dramatically increase data usage and load times—an investigation from the The New York Times in 2015 found that when loading the top 50 news sites more than half of all data transmitted came from ads—and the covert installation of ad trackers which record users' browsing preference across websites is an "alarmingly widespread" practice according to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

These aspects may be widely disliked by content consumers, but we're also in something of a Faustian bargain with online advertising: Ad money is the economic driver that has enabled such a proliferation of online content at little or no cost to the audience, and that free content has been a good enough reason to tolerate ads so far.

In light of this, re-modelling online advertising could be an an all-round winner, better for marketers, publishers and the consumers alike. And this is the task that Brendan Eich, creator of JavaScript and co-founder of Mozilla, has set for himself, first with the ad blocking Brave browser and now with the launch of the Basic Attention Token (BAT), a digital currency token which will integrate with the Brave platform to directly monetize users' attention, and help advertisers serve them fewer but more targeted ads.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Moliere wrote:
Matrix wrote:Moliere, just keep your ear on the news for Ripple.
Good suggestion. I setup my first ever Google alert and already received this notice:

Korean bitcoin exchange Coinone announces launch of Ripple (XRP) trading
Announced new today from South Korea-based bitcoin exchange Coinone is notice of the official launch of Ripple (XRP) trading. The date of listing will be next Monday, May 15th.

Ripple (XRP) is a unique encryption currency used in the ‘Ripple protocol’, which is emerging as a next-generation global payment network. Through this token and Ripple’s distributed financial technology, anyone in the world can send payments in seconds and cross-border.

KRW and SGD currencies will be supported in transactions to deposit into XRP. Margin trading is expected to open sometime in the future with support from only KRW.
That site seems to only be exchanging from one currency to another. How do you actually purchase some currency?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jaymann wrote:That site seems to only be exchanging from one currency to another. How do you actually purchase some currency?
Which currency? Bitstamp allows you to buy and sell Bitcoin and XRP (Ripple) using Euros or U.S. dollars. Kraken has a lot of currencies to choose from.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: .. Bogus Bitcoiners battered with US$12 million penalty
6 Jun 2017 at 05:03, Richard Chirgwin

America's Securities and Exchange Commission has won its case against two bogus – and now shuttered – Bitcoin companies operated by Homero Joshua Garza.

At the end of May, the SEC won its case in a Connecticut federal court, and at that time requested the penalties, which amount to $10 million from the defunct companies in “disgorgement and prejudgement interested” and a million from each outfit in penalties.

The regulator has now announced the court's final judgement granted its demand.

The SEC case launched in December 2015 said the two companies purported to offer shares in cloud-based Bitcoin mining machinery, but nothing was ever built: GAW Miners and ZenMiner simply used incoming funds to pay previous investors.

The companies never owned enough computing power to be serious miners, the SEC claimed – and the court agreed – “so most investors paid for a share of computing power that never existed.

The SEC's case said 10,000 investors were scammed of around $20 million in this way.

There's a separate criminal trial against Garza, and the SEC is in talks with him about how to resolve the claims against him.

Ironically, the Bitcoin price ended 2015 bouncing between US$400 and $450. Had the two companies simply bought Bitcoin with their $20 million, on today's $2,740 price for the crypto-currency there'd be around $140 million in the kitty.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

" ICO raises $35M in under 30 seconds for startup Brave

There’s been a whole lot of talk about initial coin offerings (ICO), company fundraising events based around the sale of cryptocurrencies, but not much in the way of action until yesterday. That’s when web browser maker Brave, founded by former Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich, raised $35 million from its ICO — and it did it in less than 30 seconds, too.

ICOs operate by selling investors cryptocurrency, which can be used to store value in many ways beyond a traditional share. For its sale, Brave created its own coin — The Basic Attention Token, or BAT — and sold one billion of them. That collection of BAT cost 156,250 ETH, which is just over $35 million. A further 500 million BAT is stored for user growth and “BAT development,” according to Brave, which is not planning another token sale in the future."
https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/01/brave ... ndan-eich/
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

New Hampshire Exempts Bitcoin and Other Virtual Currency Businesses from Money Transmitter Regulation
New Hampshire's governor Chris Sununu (R) signed into law this month a bill that exempts "Persons who engage in the business of selling or issuing payment instruments or stored value solely in the form of convertible virtual currency or receive convertible virtual currency for transmission to another location" from the state's existing regulations on money transmitters. (They shall still be subject to the state's general consumer protection law.)

According to one of the bill's co-sponsors, and a participant in the Free State Project, Rep. Keith Ammon (R-Hillsborough Dist. 40), their intention is that the law would cover those who exchange virtual currency for U.S. dollars, since that would constitute an act of selling "convertible virtual convertible currency" since under standard definitions, "selling" means "exchanging for dollars."
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Ethereum's Boy King Is Thinking About Giving Up the Mantle
Vitalik Buterin is 23, and the technology he invented four years ago is worth more than four billion dollars. He keeps his hair in an easy-maintenance close crop and prefers accessories with cats on them. He speaks quickly and with an authority you wouldn't expect, judging by how he never looks quite sure what to do with his hands.

He's not a household name, but in tech and financial circles, he's a rock star. On Friday night, when the young programmer took the stage to speak in front of a packed auditorium in Toronto—the city that he calls his home base, though he was born in Russia and now lives in Switzerland—suits who are decades his senior pulled out their phones to get a photo of him. It was understandable.

Buterin's invention, Ethereum, can be considered a cousin of bitcoin, which is far more popular, but perhaps not for long—Ethereum is rising. There are significant differences between Ethereum and bitcoin, such as the former's use of self-executing smart contracts, but the largest distinction between the two is the mythologies surrounding their founders.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Moliere wrote:Ethereum's Boy King Is Thinking About Giving Up the Mantle
Vitalik Buterin is 23, and the technology he invented four years ago is worth more than four billion dollars. He keeps his hair in an easy-maintenance close crop and prefers accessories with cats on them. He speaks quickly and with an authority you wouldn't expect, judging by how he never looks quite sure what to do with his hands.

He's not a household name, but in tech and financial circles, he's a rock star. On Friday night, when the young programmer took the stage to speak in front of a packed auditorium in Toronto—the city that he calls his home base, though he was born in Russia and now lives in Switzerland—suits who are decades his senior pulled out their phones to get a photo of him. It was understandable.

Buterin's invention, Ethereum, can be considered a cousin of bitcoin, which is far more popular, but perhaps not for long—Ethereum is rising. There are significant differences between Ethereum and bitcoin, such as the former's use of self-executing smart contracts, but the largest distinction between the two is the mythologies surrounding their founders.

in 5 years maybe :)

Ethereum done super good, so yay!
I also got some of those BAT tokens of brave browser, i was at conference and saw the founder of Brave live, he showed strong road map and i am putting in a bit, since i certainly could see it get a lot of attention.
Also tested browser, it is very good. Actually using it now :)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Don't you worry that these currencies are the digital equivalent of beanie babies? Well, you won't need to rent a self storage unit for them at least. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

em2nought wrote:Don't you worry that these currencies are the digital equivalent of beanie babies? Well, you won't need to rent a self storage unit for them at least. :wink:
Technology is hard.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

em2nought wrote:Don't you worry that these currencies are the digital equivalent of beanie babies? Well, you won't need to rent a self storage unit for them at least. :wink:
At this point i am not worried at all, i am about 30x up on my initial investment. I also integrated into the tech of this space, it is pretty clear that it will be adapted across industries in the very near future. (and part of the reason of this large explosion) Unlike beanie babies, i can sell it this instant. Crypto is faster then any other payment form. Will i sell it? Not yet. Will i sell at some point? Sure thing.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Nope, i am longer term holder, but it was interesting to see. I dont have any sell orders, but i imagine somebody just realized that they lost a house (or a few houses) in that one glitch.

I been looking over other potentials, but EOS , which i thought would have been good investment. Just announced their token release, and it looks like the worst way to distribute if you are investor.
I am bullish on BAT token, but it might be the long haul. I bought some of that via small part of my ETH gains.

Have you done any investments in addition to xrp?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Matrix wrote:Have you done any investments in addition to xrp?
Not yet. I am still trying to get my Kraken account authorized up to Tier 3 so I can do fiat deposit and withdrawals. I sold my entire XRP stake when it was around $.32. Since then I have been buying and selling XRP. About every 3 weeks it fluctuates between $.22 and $.30. I've caught at least 3 of these swings to keep building my overall portfolio value, knowing 1/3 of it will be stolen by the IRS.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

What I find interesting about these sorts of things is how every single time, people convince themselves that *this* time is different. Everything about this feels like modern day digital tulips.

I mean, as long as you get out in time, who cares? But still. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

RunningMn9 wrote:What I find interesting about these sorts of things is how every single time, people convince themselves that *this* time is different. Everything about this feels like modern day digital tulips.
One of the questions you have to ask is do any of these currencies provide a function or value. If you research Ripple and XRP, for example, you will see more and more banks utilizing the Ripple network to test cross border transactions. Right now it is slow and expensive to make transactions across international borders and multiple currencies. Ripple's network is much faster and less expensive. So as more banks test and adopt the network its value will grow. It is not a tulip or beanie baby that only has an arbitrary value. I'm sure Matrix can provide similar info about Ethereum. Either way, my original investment is up 12 fold in 60 days, so I'm not likely to lose money.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Like I said, it's an esoteric point while in the bubble and you are making money. As long as you aren't holding the bag when the bubble bursts, you've won the game and you aren't the guy with four warehouses of stupid tulips. :)

I understand that there is a value - but from what I see there is no connection at all between the *actual* value and the *perceived* value.

That's a recipe for disaster (for someone). But I know a lot of people making a killing right now. They are every bit as overconfident about the situation as my friends who were making a killing on dot com companies in the late 90s.

Those also had actual function and value - it just wasn't connected to the mania that attached itself to their stocks.

Anyway, it's just a casual observation. I'm all for people making as much money as possible in the meantime and I wish you continued success.
Make up bags of change
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

World’s Largest Islamic Bank Successfully Completes Ripple Blockchain Trial
Money was transferred between Al Rajhi Bank offices across Saudi Arabia and Jordan. The transfer took mere seconds to complete, and reduced fees to a bare minimum. It is unclear if the XRP token was involved in this trial, though. It is evident Ripple is on the radar of many banks around the globe. Successfully completing this trial will help Saudi Arabia digitize the customer banking experience even further.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

We are all surfing, and if we catch a wave, best thing we can do is surf it. Molier has been enjoying the up and down ride, and i am there still in there for a longer lift.
I am also part of consulting company in that space (be that as it may), i dont think the ride is over yet. And Running man, you are on the money. It is all about when the music stops.
But for now, we all waltz.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I've been trying to read a bit about blockchains, and maybe I am just picking bad sources but I see a lot of red flags in what I'm reading. There's lots of "here's what a block chain is", and then lots of "this will change the world", with almost nothing in between to connect the dots from A to B.

All it's missing is a Tom Selleck voice over (bonus points for those that get the reference). When I try to talk to the people I know making money hand over fist, all they say is "dude, blockchains". If you press at all, the response is "you just don't understand".

That's almost always code for them not actually understanding, but are so into the throws of greed that they don't want to admit that they don't understand.

So. I get the notion that blockchains decentralize data. I get that they make data transparent because copies are public and everywhere. I get that this makes compromising the data difficult without massive computing power (because you'd have to compromise every node in a very short period of time). And that makes sense for data that should be public and transparent.

I've never seen an explanation for how it handles data that should not public or transparent. I've seen the claim that that doesn't matter anymore, but I'm not sure I agree with that. I assume I just haven't found the right explanation of that?
Make up bags of change