Healthcare Increase!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: Healthcare Increase!

Post by stessier »

We get our info the first week of October (or thereabouts).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NY Times
It may not seem like much — just an extra hundred dollars or so a year.

But the steady upward creep in health insurance deductibles has easily outpaced the average increase in a worker’s wages over the last five years, according to a new analysis released on Tuesday by the Kaiser Family Foundation.

Kaiser, a health policy research group that conducts a yearly survey of employer health benefits, calculates that deductibles have risen more than six times faster than workers’ earnings since 2010.
One in five workers has a deductible of $2,000 or more.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

But it's also probably responsible for the slower increase in premiums.

WSJ wrote:Some economists argue the damped rate of increase is linked to the recession and its aftermath. Others credit changes in health coverage and the health-care system, such as higher deductibles. This long-running trend helps keep premiums down, while increasing employees’ out-of-pocket costs.
The average cost of employer health coverage passed $17,000 for a family plan this year, despite continued muted growth on a percentage basis, according to a major survey.

The average annual cost of an employer family plan rose 4%, to $17,545, from $16,834 last year, according to the annual poll of employers performed by the nonprofit Kaiser Family Foundation along with the Health Research & Educational Trust, a nonprofit affiliated with the American Hospital Association. The share of the 2015 family-plan premium borne by employees was 29% of the total, the same percentage as last year.

For an individual worker, the average annual cost of employer coverage was $6,251 in this year’s survey, also up 4% over last year. The employee contribution was 18%.

The reasons behind the relatively slow pace of growth in premiums are a topic of debate, and many analysts expect an upshift in health-care costs in coming years.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: One in five workers has a deductible of $2,000 or more.
$2000 would be sweet. Mine is more than $8000 this year. :x
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm at $5k at the moment.

If I were still single, I'm sure the deductible would have been higher than my AGI last year. When it gets to the point where a catastrophic illness would qualify me to start deducting them from my taxes while insured, something is terribly wrong.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote:
Family or individual? I'm going to guess that that $2000 number is for individuals.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
Family or individual? I'm going to guess that that $2000 number is for individuals.
Family. Are less than 1 in 5 workers on family plans?
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Those workers have seen their deductibles climb from a yearly average of $900 in 2010 for an individual plan to more than $1,300 this year, while employees working for small businesses have an even higher average of $1,800 a year. One in five workers has a deductible of $2,000 or more.
Context seems to indicate that number is for individual coverage.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
Family. Are less than 1 in 5 workers on family plans?
I have no idea but I highly doubt that 1 in 5 families having a $2,000 deductible would be newsworthy. The article is paywalled so I can't source it. Here's KFF averages going to 2012.

So I'm sticking with the idea that the $2,000 number was for individuals.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wife's company announced a few weeks ago that for people that didn't opt into the voluntary wellness program last year...their premiums would be adjusted accordingly. Considering how little needed to be done in order to qualify for participation, I don't feel bad for any of them and apparently most were rather vocal last year that they wouldn't participate. I'll be very curious to see what the conversion rate is after new premiums are officially announced and applied for 2016.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We had to log into a website and answer about 15 questions. For $50/month I'm sure we were pretty close to 100% participation.

Now I assume that each year will see more and more things you have to do but most places are probably still in the "answer some questions" phase with maybe some tracking of goals/progress.

MYT
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Well I turn 60 next month so my rates are going up. Also my current plan is changing the deductible from $2,500 to $4,500, so my broker is shopping for something different.

As for JeffV post up a bit. With a family plan I think there is a "family" deductible, so not everyone in the family has to meet the $2k deductible. usually it is something like $4k I think on such a plan.

I get this stuff explained to me every year and then I forget it in 3-4 months. I handle the insurance for my company. Just a few people, which makes it hard to find a plan.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Scuzz wrote: As for JeffV post up a bit. With a family plan I think there is a "family" deductible, so not everyone in the family has to meet the $2k deductible. usually it is something like $4k I think on such a plan.
Yeah, usually for family plans the deductible is stated as "per person/family max". So if you have a $2,000/$5,000 that means that each person has a $2,000 max but if your combined total out deductible spending hits $5,000 you've maxed out.

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That's how my plan works, LawBeef. With 2 diabetic children and a wife with chronic medical conditions, the insurance company would hate me even when I'm healthy. I hate hitting the deductible by February.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:We had to log into a website and answer about 15 questions. For $50/month I'm sure we were pretty close to 100% participation.

Now I assume that each year will see more and more things you have to do but most places are probably still in the "answer some questions" phase with maybe some tracking of goals/progress.
We have to have a physical before a certain date, and input the data into some online health questionnaire to get our substantial credit (at least $50/month IIRC)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote:Well I turn 60 next month so my rates are going up. Also my current plan is changing the deductible from $2,500 to $4,500, so my broker is shopping for something different.

As for JeffV post up a bit. With a family plan I think there is a "family" deductible, so not everyone in the family has to meet the $2k deductible. usually it is something like $4k I think on such a plan.

I get this stuff explained to me every year and then I forget it in 3-4 months. I handle the insurance for my company. Just a few people, which makes it hard to find a plan.
My family is just 3 of us, so we actually pay more deductible per person than if we had $2000 a piece. A per-person deductible would work out much better, right now, nothing is covered until we pay $8000 among the three of us. The only time we exceeded that was the year my wife was pregnant and our son born, we were out of pocket $12,000.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote:
Scuzz wrote:Well I turn 60 next month so my rates are going up. Also my current plan is changing the deductible from $2,500 to $4,500, so my broker is shopping for something different.

My family is just 3 of us, so we actually pay more deductible per person than if we had $2000 a piece. A per-person deductible would work out much better, right now, nothing is covered until we pay $8000 among the three of us. The only time we exceeded that was the year my wife was pregnant and our son born, we were out of pocket $12,000.
Usually plans will have both a per person and family max. It doesn't matter how many people make up the family. If yours doesn't have a per person and family max, it's definitely non-standard.

And obviously deductible is not to be confused with out-of-pocket maximum.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

FWIW, my plan has a family deductible of $2,400 (I think), and an out-of-pocket maximum of $8,250. We don't have any individual deductibles or maximums. Annual enrollment is coming up soon - not sure what changes we'll see there.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote:And obviously deductible is not to be confused with out-of-pocket maximum.
I'm pretty sure our out-of-pocket maximum is "all the money in the world + $1". In fact, there are lifetime limits just in case you get the idea that life is somehow priceless.

The deductible is based on the entire family. No expense is covered until the deductible is met. This has the added effect of discouraging people from going to the doctor when serious conditions might still be in a more treatable state.
Last edited by Jeff V on Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lifetime limits on essential health benefits went away with the ACA.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:Lifetime limits on essential health benefits went away with the ACA.
Ah, ok. I must have been remembering that from a few years ago -- I remember thinking that if my dad had such a plan, he'd have been dead and (and probably destitute before that) a lot earlier than he was.

I'm sure that once King Trump is in charge, those lifetime maximums will return (and probably be less than the annual deductible).
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My deductibles are 1250 individual and 2k family, but I pay 30% after that (up to 3500/7000). I guess I can be happy with that.

We are switching to a new provider for 2016 and I don't think we see what that means until next month. To date this year my family of four's healthcare expenses are zero so we are paying for everyone else.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

coopasonic wrote:My deductibles are 1250 individual and 2k family, but I pay 30% after that (up to 3500/7000). I guess I can be happy with that.

We are switching to a new provider for 2016 and I don't think we see what that means until next month. To date this year my family of four's healthcare expenses are zero so we are paying for everyone else.
Those of us who hit our out-of-pocket maximums by June appreciate your support.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

JeffV, I think your plan may have changed and you just don't know it. I knew lifetime limits went away with ACA. I also think you have a family deductible regardless of numbers in the family. But I will admit that every time I think I know what ACA did I run into something that doesn't fit what I thought I knew.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Had a guy at my first job that I was friendly with, even gamed with, that I tormented about insurance costs after he had sinus and knee surgeries in back-to-back years. Not to mention his two germ factories at home.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We enjoy such good health that I don't even know what our deductible or maximums are. We never even come close to needing to know. Hope that doesn't change anytime soon.

Dental, OTOH...wife needs $14,000 worth of reconstructive toothwork this year and next. Insurance pays a maximum of $1,750 pp/yr. At least dental insurance is still comparatively cheap.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:We enjoy such good health that I don't even know what our deductible or maximums are. We never even come close to needing to know. Hope that doesn't change anytime soon.

Dental, OTOH...wife needs $14,000 worth of reconstructive toothwork this year and next. Insurance pays a maximum of $1,750 pp/yr. At least dental insurance is still comparatively cheap.
My dentist want me to do orthodontia. I think I get about $1800 of orthodontics covered a year with a lifetime maximum of like $8000 and $8000 wouldn't come close to the work they want to do. So, nope. My ophthalmologist also wants me to go in for corrective surgery, which would take me away from work for 10 days, maybe longer while recover at home, as well as tank my life savings. Again. Nope.

We don't get news of cost increases until the end of the year.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote:JeffV, I think your plan may have changed and you just don't know it. I knew lifetime limits went away with ACA. I also think you have a family deductible regardless of numbers in the family. But I will admit that every time I think I know what ACA did I run into something that doesn't fit what I thought I knew.
Yes, the family deductible works that way -- $8000 total, which for a family of 3 means I pay a lot more per person than three individual plans @ $2000. We pretty much need a 4th to stop getting especially screwed. And that $8000 was 2 years ago, I'm pretty sure it went up, I stopped paying attention because the only time we exceeded that was the year we had the baby.

As far as dental goes -- almost everything I need is not covered. Last year I needed a fused root separated and the lower tip of the root removed, with a bone graft added to keep my jaw from decalcifying. Not one cent of this $2000 procedure was covered. Where the root was trimmed, I actually need an implant to anchor a new denture. I've needed this for more than 5 years now; but again, insurance covers none of it -- and I don't have the $6000 needed to do this. I can probably save $2000 (the cost of the plane ticket) if I have this work done in the Philippines.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just learned this year's information will start to arrive on Sept 28 - so sometime next week I should know the damage.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think all your plans got worse while mine stayed the same lol. No deductible and the price hasn't gone up much the last 3 years. Shrug
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yesterday's team meeting indicated that it will be October when we get the new deets for the 11/1 start.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Well, we just switched to my wife's insurance plan. She is a teacher, and her benefits are much better than mine at the hospital system I work for. The only draw back, is that her 'year' runs from Aug - July. So we switched this month, even though we were covered starting in Aug. Of course my employer than retroactively canceled my policy for last month, since I was covered under both plans. <sigh> I didn't ask them to do that, and I had paid my premiums, but they said it was 'policy' so now I have a few things that I have to get resent to my wife's plan.

But here is the basics of my wife's plan.

No copays for any service.
500 / Family Deductible, 250/individual
80/20 for all services over the deductible.
We can go anyplace and use any hospital in the area.

We are saving 400/month in premiums from my plan to hers. So with 4,800 in savings annually in just the premiums we will be paying less than my plan overall.

My Deductibles were a ton higher, and I had 35/50 copay's depending on Family Medicine or Specialists. I also had an ER Copay of 300 that her plan does not have. We try not to use the ER, but we have 3 kids so sometimes you have to use it.

Of course my oldest broke her arm in August, so we have already paid the 250 deductible for her, and I broke my toe in August, so had an X-ray and an office visit. So my deductible is most likely covered as well. <sigh>
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Will you adopt me?
RMC

Post by RMC »

Isgrimnur wrote:Will you adopt me?
Just make your wife become a teacher, that's what I did. She is a High School Chemistry(Can teach all Sciences) Teacher.

It's awesome for her and the kids, she has plenty of time off, and her benefits are very nice. I will not even talk about the college plan that she has for the kids, and her retirement. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My wife also has gold-plated academe benefits. I don't go to doctors but assume that our insurance is pretty great.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

State employees in Illinois have some good benefits. It just takes 9 months for the state to pay for them. Eventually the pension/health coverage bubble will burst. My pension sucks but it is 100% funded.

We just got an ominous email about a new forum for answering employee questions and concerns. The timing, right before open enrollment, is a bit suspicious. Bracing for some big changes.

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

They just made the information available online.

The premiums for my plan (the highest deductible one) are not going up - $97/mo. The deductibles are - from $2600 -> $2800 (7.7%) for an individual and from $5200 -> $5600 (7.7%) for the family (in network - double each for out of network). The company continues to make a $1200/family donation to our HSA.

The only premium increase comes on the PPO plan going from $358/mo -> $384/mo for a family (+7.3%). Additionally, that plans' deductibles increase from $450 -> $550 (22.2%) for an individual and $900 -> $1100 (22.2%) for a family.

I think this means no functional difference for me. Depending on if we get a raise, I might increase my HSA contribution as I am not at the maximum yet, but I think I'll leave it alone until that time (next March).
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

I have a $0 deductible and $5,000 out of pocket maximum as an individual. If I were to get married, we would have no deductible and a $10,000 OOP max, if I added him to my insurance. We enter "open enrollment" in October, but I don't think I'm going to change anything about my plan. I have pretty low co-pays and decent out of pocket costs for prescription drugs. I only take one pill each day, but the retail price of the prescription is about $15,000 per year. I pay $30 a month for the pills.

My premium is about $371 per month, of which I pay $93. That's up a bit from 2014, but down from 2013, before I was moved to an ACA Exchange plan.

I have separate dental insurance.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Got a look at our materials today.

In-house plan went down 9% for single employees, up 1% for families.
HDHP plan went unchanged for single, up 4% for families.
Big Box PPO went unchanged in both categories.
Single w/kid and Spouse/Partner rates were mostly unchanged for all plans.

In-system and in-network deductibles were mostly unchanged but out-of-network deductibles went up a lot. OOPMs were unchanged for the most part.

Pharmacy is the same.

My particular dental product went away but I have a comparable option available and it's a decrease.

Vision is unchanged.

Health assessment/participation credit is ~$50/month.

Not what I was expecting, and in a good way. I thought there were going to be wholesale changes. I guess the workshops and forum are for the entities we absorbed but I have to believe their benefits are improving, not worsening.

So it looks like I'm going with the same plan:
$200/$600 deductible ($1500/$3000- $4000/$8000 net-OON)
$500/$1500 OOPM ($4000/$8000 - $8,000/$16,000 net-OON)
$10/$25 PCP/SPC copay
$150 ER Copay (waived if admitted)
$100 hospital copay

Haven't seen the other stuff like life insurance, AD&D insurance, parking/transit, etc.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

1/6th increase on premiums ($30 -> $35 /2 weeks).

As to the actual coverage levels, I'll have to compare materials when I get home.