[trailer] John Carter

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Re: [trailer] John Carter

Post by hentzau »

I'm going to go see it at the Patio, a local second run theater, with my kids. So I like it enough to see it a second time.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Ariana_FFD

Post by Ariana_FFD »

Odin wrote:I might have taken the kids to see this during spring break next week, but it's not even in the theaters anymore. :( Hopefully it'll come to the cheap second-run theater and we can see it there sometime. They're showing Journey 2: Mysterious Island next week, so we'll probably hit that up. Not much else playing next week to take the kids to, really. Unless we want to see Hunger Games a second time.

How was the Hunger Games? I hear they just jump into the movie with little to no set up of the characters?! Is this how it is???

Hi, btw!!! :wub:

Ariana
poof!
Odin

Post by Odin »

Ariana_FFD wrote:
Odin wrote:I might have taken the kids to see this during spring break next week, but it's not even in the theaters anymore. :( Hopefully it'll come to the cheap second-run theater and we can see it there sometime. They're showing Journey 2: Mysterious Island next week, so we'll probably hit that up. Not much else playing next week to take the kids to, really. Unless we want to see Hunger Games a second time.

How was the Hunger Games? I hear they just jump into the movie with little to no set up of the characters?! Is this how it is???

Hi, btw!!! :wub:

Ariana
Hello and welcome back!

Kids loved it. Of course, we'd read the whole series together last summer, so they didn't need much introduction. I thought for a 2-hour movie they did a pretty good job of setting up the relationships and the key points, but I know a lot of folks who liked the books feel differently. Not differently enough to keep the film from being a runaway box-office hit, apparently. :D
Ariana_FFD

Post by Ariana_FFD »

Ahhh! I might be interested enough to give it a try. We still have John Carter here in theaters. I can see the only beni's are seeing it on a big screen.

ThanX!!!! :P
Ariana
poof!
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

I haven't seen it yet and will probably wait for DVD at this point (or a3d rental now that Starz and Uverse allow for that), but I was wondering......

Are the complaints and praises for this movie divided by gender?

You know what they say:

Carter's from Mars; and Carson's from Venus. :mrgreen: (after little contribution, I had a geek moment - again)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Very nice.

And no, my wife thoroughly enjoyed it, even though she's never read the books. Liked it enough that she's pushing for us to take the kids to a 5:00 matinee at the second run movie house near here.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Ariana_FFD

Post by Ariana_FFD »

sgoldj wrote:I haven't seen it yet and will probably wait for DVD at this point (or a3d rental now that Starz and Uverse allow for that), but I was wondering......

Are the complaints and praises for this movie divided by gender?

You know what they say:

Carter's from Mars; and Carson's from Venus. :mrgreen: (after little contribution, I had a geek moment - again)
Oh that was a GOOD one!!! LOL!!!

Ariana
poof!
Ariana_FFD

Post by Ariana_FFD »

hentzau wrote:Very nice.

And no, my wife thoroughly enjoyed it, even though she's never read the books. Liked it enough that she's pushing for us to take the kids to a 5:00 matinee at the second run movie house near here.
See that is a good review there! if it is entertaining for the kids, I would most likely like it! I want to sometimes just lose myself in the moment of a sci-fi movie. I did not go to see Battle: Los Angeles, because I listened to critiques on youtube... having seen the movie on PPV I realize I would have really liked it on the big screen. I think it was a great movie that was surprisingly patriotic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle:_Los_Angeles" target="_blank

Another underated and scary as hell movie was Apollo 18. http://apollo18movie.net/" target="_blank I swear it did scare the bejeezus out of me! Very creepy concept and filming. I highly recommend it for a "different" sort of fright night movie-fest!

Ariana
poof!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, no offense, but I tried to sit through Apollo 18.

...tried being the operative word.
He won. Period.
Ariana_FFD

Post by Ariana_FFD »

hepcat wrote:Oh man, no offense, but I tried to sit through Apollo 18.

...tried being the operative word.
I think because it is in a definite "Documentary" format, it is a bit "dry" in the first 30 mins. I suggest trying it again when it comes to Showtime in May. (*or so i was told). I would DVR it and then sort of skip forward to the second journey unto the crater where they find the Russian ship... it does get much better from there, and after they... well I don't want to give it away, just trust me it does get better. The ending is waaay creepy!!! :pop:

Ariana
poof!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well a little over a year since the movie came out I just now watched it. I really liked it. I wish it had explained some stuff but it was a damn fine adventure. It to me would have been worth seeing at the theater full price. Loved it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
DaHowie

Post by DaHowie »

I watched it a few weeks ago and like it as well. Obviously glossed over some parts of the storyline due to time constraints. Plus 1 for the "Jar Jar" character being better.
David
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Im not sure if this was one of those things where someone decides a movie sucks and the media just dog piles on it but this was far better than I had expected. Im not sure why it got so much pre release hate from the media but it really killed what could have been a very entertaining series of movies.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I hope for a 2nd part. I'd like more stuff fleshed out and explained.

When you say 'Jar-Jar' character Im guessing you mean the 'dog'. Me and the wife loved that guy. He was one of the coolest characters. I even mentioned to her I hope he doesn't die..LOL..that's something for a CGI character hahaha.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rshetts2 wrote:Im not sure if this was one of those things where someone decides a movie sucks and the media just dog piles on it but this was far better than I had expected. Im not sure why it got so much pre release hate from the media but it really killed what could have been a very entertaining series of movies.
It is a classic case of low expectations. I expected to dislike it based on all the negative press when it was in theaters. I found the story enjoyable enough and the spirit true to ERB's books. Plus I got a kick out of seeing Julius Caesar and Marc Antony from HBO's Rome together in royal roles again. Not among my favorite movies by any means, but not bad.
DaHowie

Post by DaHowie »

Daehawk wrote:When you say 'Jar-Jar' character Im guessing you mean the 'dog'. Me and the wife loved that guy. He was one of the coolest characters. I even mentioned to her I hope he doesn't die..LOL..that's something for a CGI character hahaha.
Correct. It reminded me of a giant Japanese Salamander.
David
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another reason it's worth a watch.

Enlarge Image
Sabassis

Post by Sabassis »

Just saw this and really liked it. Great sci-fi action flick. Its interesting watching it, and knowing how much of the star wars movies it took from. And knowing how George Lucas took so much from the Burroughs books.

Definitely worth a rent. And the main actress is really really hot if that helps!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep loved it. Would love a 2nd one. Im glad the ending didn't totally suck.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Disney loses John Carter.

Be interesting to see another studio's take on the franchise (if anyone would be willing to touch the property again...)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote:Like all red-blooded American teens, I used to dream of the incomparable Dejah Thoris. I don't know if any actress can measure up.

NSFW
Spoiler:
Dejah Thoris was supposed to have red skin. ..
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rewatched Friday Night Lights and it made me want to see John Carter again. Wish we had a sequel. Thought the actor did a great job.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Well that was a surprise when browsing OO via tapatalk and seeing a naked chick without clicking in the thread. Tapatalk likes to highlight pictures no matter if it's in spoiler tags
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Good thing I wasn't at work T the time but I'll have to wait for the thread to be buried because now EBG isn't safe.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

might be resurrected/rebooted as a series for Disney+ in 2022?

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/john-ca ... y-tv-show/
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

That world be great. Barsoom is an untapped property.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks to Frank Frazetta, teenage me couldn't get enough of the incomparable Dejah Thoris.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks to puberty, teenage US couldn't get enough of anything that looked remotely like a hot woman. I think I would actually get turned on by Gloop and Gleep if they weren't careful in their shape choices.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Can't tell... if nipples... or armor...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Silly boy, Tharks don't have nipples. They're lizards.
He won. Period.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:02 pm Silly boy, Tharks don't have nipples. They're lizards.
:clap:
Black Lives Matter